PDA

View Full Version : Retired warriors

pampe
09-22-2005, 03:28 PM
OK...this has been a saga

When I returned from China. I wanted to paint the terracotta warriors.....I drew it out.,,....applied some mask...and did a pour

I loved the color results

The I tried to rub off the mask....and lo and behold, the art supply folks had sent me PERMANENT mask....and I had not looked at the label

So I had these big chunky white spots, that I could not paint over.

While the folks were here for the GATHERING last week....the really nagged me to keep going with it.

SO I tried pastel, acrylic, thick watercolor and have gotten to this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/4054-warriors.jpg

Advice, suggestions....miracles appreciated

Pam

Granny R
09-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Pam , you may find this funny, but I can't spot the problem , so whatever you've done must be working.
Very interesting and unique piece. I like it.
Ruth

mmcaloon
09-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Pam

When you have some time would you show me how to "screw up" my paintings like this :D :D

Seriously - You probably already thought about this but I read some where you could take white opaque paint (chinese white) and tint it with other colors and use that to cover up oppses. Although for the life of me I can't figure where you would find the opps here.

jaytee
09-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Pam........ I came dashing over ....fire hose at the ready......and see a splendid and original piece ..........I dont feel it needs anything major....... but do have to admit that the white eybrows and lips do remind me of the cream wimbledon tennis players, cricketers etc apply to stop their faces ( especially noses!) burning !!!! Earlier on I might have suggested you try a solvent........ but not at this stage!!!

helpful, aint i ....... ;)

JustjoGA
09-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Pam, you know I know little of technique... but Mike's
suggestion of tinting Chinese white to cover/color the
still noticeable spots sounds feasible... I just bet this
is going to look fantabulous (listening, Chris?:)) when
it is done, matted and framed... Such a wonderful
depiction of some of the essence of China.

Jo in Georgia

Christie
09-22-2005, 07:02 PM
I think this is wonderful. Acrylics would be my first choice. My in-laws visited the terracotta soldiers as well and I have three of the little statues looking at me right now.:D

Don't know how to deal the the masking issue, but have you tried asking the manufacturer (or the place you bought it) for a solution?

laudesan
09-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Pam , you may find this funny, but I can't spot the problem , so whatever you've done must be working.
Very interesting and unique piece. I like it.
Ruth

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

Nacre
09-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Pam , I read an article a while back that mentioned using permenant mask and it mentioned that if you use heat from a hair dryer it will make the perm mask sink into the paper . It will still be there but will be smooth and you should be able to use acrylic or something over it. Never tried this so can't say how well it will work. Maybe if you did a practice piece . Good luck with whatever you try.

Nandie
09-22-2005, 09:00 PM
I guess scraping it off with a straight-edge razor blade wouldn't work huh?

Why don't you try Ant P's advice on a piece of scrap paper?

Hi Ant P! :wave: Miss you!

painterbear
09-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, this is a fine mess you've gotten yourself into, Ollie!!

Pam, Must admit the white eyebrows and lips are a little disconcerting although the rest of the painting is terrific. Love the colors and the POV.

I've seen three different traveling exhibits of these glorious statues, but would really like to see them in situ as you did.

Aunt P has an interesting idea combined with Mike's. Nothing ventured, nothing gained—and you can be our experimenter-in-chief in case this ever happened to any of us. :evil:

Sylvia

yahooserious
09-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Pam, I have also seen a traveling exhibit of these statues.. I hope you are able to take care of the problem.. Other than the stark white I see why you are happy with the colors and I don't know enough to help with the permanent masque.. You could paint it again???

Emilie

hopefulbucky
09-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Folks, you just would have to see this painting. The colors are superb, sobeautifully blended and on a HUGE full sheet. It was heartbreaking to see Pam's problem. Pam, I guess as Auntie P suggested I would try the hairdryer trick on a sample piece of paper and Mike's putting color into acrylics. Don't have any original suggestions as I didn't when I was actually there but I could see all the work and love that went into this painting and it would be a shame to bin it. I think on screen it looks a lot better, that white that was in the shoulder on the front guy seems to be more muted. I am sure the white spots that you can pick out that still jump out of the painting and take away from the beauty.

Let us know how it goes!

BTW Auntie P!!!!! I was so excited I had 2CUPS OF TIM HORTON's when we did a quick run into Canada to Crow's Nest this week. I totally thought of you and brought back a pound of coffee and a box of T.H.'s tea. Starbuck's will be divorcing me LOL

T Christensen
09-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Ok ..I want to know what a person would use permanent mask for .....

Fabulous Pam , colors are the best and subject is very intriguing ....you are so very good .....TerryC

pampe
09-25-2005, 04:22 PM
you have all been so kind to suggest things

Mike...Chinese white doesn't cut it.....not "blendable" enough to cover the hard white edges

Pearl...I'll try the hairdryer but by now I have painted some acrylics over pastels....so who knows what will happen

I am actually thinking maybe a collage would help?

pampe
09-26-2005, 02:39 PM
not sure it's much better:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2005/4054-warriors1.jpg

NodakerDeb
09-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Pam, I have never heard of permanent masking fluid either and wonder whatever one would do with it? This is such a lovely painting to scrub, in fact, in some ways it kind of, sort of, reminds me of Barbara Nechis' work. I wonder if there would be some transparent layering you could do on top. I also think your idea of collaging would be great. I have found one of the best collage materials is regular waxed paper all wrinkled up. It allows the colors from underneath to show through yet imparts a soft veil over the areas it is on. If you look on my "Dance" painting you can see the difference between the waxed paper collage I have left as is, and the bits I've embellished with titanium white. http://www.deborahs-art.com/RecentWork.htm. I know you will come up with something very clever with this painting before all is said and done and I can't wait to see the finished result.

Deb

Kate Mc
09-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Pam, what if you put pastels over the white bits? Then if you used them to add some details in other places it wouldn't look as if you had been fixing a problem with them. I've seen pastels over watercolors before, and they're very effective. Dont' know about pastels over permanent masking, tho....

I bought some when it first came out, because I wanted to mix it with paint to be able to paint small light colors underneath a darker field--think baby's breath in a bouquet or tiny yellow flowers in a meadow. It's only marginally effective at that.

good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Kate

Pars
09-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Pam, great suggestions. I'd say go "all out" mixed media, and try some fluid acrylic watered down to nearly a transparent watercolour consistency but holding the acrylic property. If you want highs, you might also think about the acrylic inks. Or you might consider some gouache. Just throwing out ideas. :D

The piece is too beautiful to give up on. As you yourself always say, "keep going." :wave:

mustcreate
09-28-2005, 01:39 PM
you have way more patience than I!!!

I have seen this in real life and that masking fluid is extremely white!! seems like you have managed to cover and blend to a certain degree....but sitting here it still looks like the white bits are still visible?

Carol was commenting how she really liked this piece and what a shame it was about the masking. she was even talking about buying the new one if you were so inclined to re-paint it. she said she was going to email you.....but knowing her she has probably gotten so deep in her work that it's slipped her mind.

em

Gilberte
09-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Olala, the second one is just picobello.
I was browsing the new posts when I discovered this ... I seem to lose my way from time to time with all these new sous-rubriques in watercolors ...

CharM
09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Arrrggggh... what a terrible thing to have happen to such a beautiful painting! I can't offer any advice... just moral support and a hug...

VeldaJ
09-28-2005, 07:54 PM
What a dreadful thing to have happen Pam. The rest of the painting is so lovely - it's such a shame that the white stands out so. I haven't any miracle suggestions either but I do hope you can rescue it.