PDA

View Full Version : Chicken

Chiers
09-22-2005, 04:23 AM
This is 12"x12" on cavas paper. I painted it from a reference of Lornas at the WDE this weekend. I have been using acrylics for a while now but have a ways to go to get a good grasp on them. Is there a trick to keeping them from darkening up so much?

chammi kaiser
09-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Looks pretty good to me. I have only been using acrylics for a short while as have painted in watercolours for many years. Now am doing a degree and required to paint several assignments in acrylics. Only thing that bothers me a little is the background. He is such a great rooster and I think he deserves to stand out a little more. Perhaps a cooler colour for the background would work better. Chammi

3chaway9
09-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Hi Sherry.....It's a great painting.....you make this simple little animal appear so important with your choice of colours...i like it lots.

Bertoni
09-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Sherry:
Very nice painting there! :clap: :clap: You certainly captured the personality of the chicken with that look on his face!
I think the background could stand to be somewhat less brighter so he pops out more.

Lady Carol
09-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Wonderful chook. I love the colours.

The colours really don't darker as more going dull-ish when they dry. One way to get back the vibrancy of the colour is to coat the painting in a layer of gloss glazing medium before varnishing. This seems to enrich the colours to fairly close to what they were before they dried.

bullyluvver
09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Lovely picture! The chicken-wire fence seperates the chick from the BG quite nicely I think.

Gail

Jprice022
09-22-2005, 01:42 PM
I like the chicken....also agree that the bg should be a different color.

Thanks for posting.

John

chaz
09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Nice job Sherry. :clap: I'm sure the colors are brighter than in the [ost. Compression squeezes the life out of most paintings. HAving said that, the colors are still great in the post. The background needs changing as other have said. Be sure tho that you include some of the colors on mr chicken in the new background to tie the whole painting together. Nothing much, just a hint here and there.

Chuck

greymist
09-22-2005, 03:49 PM
This is soooo cute... love the colors.

Lisa

Chiers
09-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the comments! Chaz, actually the picture looks brighter than the real thing does, especially after drying for a while. Carol, maybe its just the brand I am using but they defineately do get darker after they dry, as well as duller. If there was only one thing I didn't like about acrylics, that would be it.