PDA

View Full Version : To Stand out in a Crowd.....

Caron
01-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the thought Cathy! Since you didnt start it but want the answers, I thought I would go ahead and ask! Im sure there are many of us that would like a hint or two and hopefully many of us that have one to contribute!
Amongst the thousands of paintings, prints and just plain 'Art' for sale on Ebay, the big question:
"How Do You Get Noticed!!"
All suggestions welcome and appreciated by many of us struggling sellers!
Caron :cat:

CathyD
01-16-2002, 02:36 PM
I did want to ask that very question Caron, thanks for starting this!

I just tried something different, and since it's an experiment I would like to hear from experienced ebayers as to whether it makes sense and works.

We talked alot about lower price auctions but I put one up for the dreaded $1!!! I put up a painting that took about an hour, and was not one that was a favorite anyway. :p I put it in another category, under folk art instead of self representing artists. I listed it at about midnight last night (now you know why I didn't email you Caron!) and by lunch time I have a bid on it (yeah, a dollar) and a bid on one of my prints. The views # is up too.

I think the dollar auction is more visible, because a lot of people search by lowest price. So here is my marketing stragedy; $1 bid auction to get people to look at your other higher bid auctions. Whadaya think?

Here's another idea, have different auctions in different categories in case people search by category. Does that sound like it would work?

Cathy

Caron
01-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Wow Cathy you've got guts! Well, I guess someone has to do it sooner or later..I wish you luck and this will be a good learning experience. I also like that you are experimenting with catagories. That I think is another avenue that will help draw in buyers that normally may not have found you. Good for you-you go girl!!! Im anxious to see the outcome here:clap: :clap: :clap:
Caron:cat:

Caron
01-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Something I just noticed Cathy, you said you listed at midnight last night and you are 3 hours behind me-making it 3am here. When your auction ends, it will be ending the same time you listed meaning it will be 3am on this coast. If I were a potential buyer, I would miss out on the auction because of it. As we know, auctions get there largest bidding action at the end. Thats when they are fun to watch!!!! Since you are doing this $1 thing as a trial, you may not possibly get the reaction you could have if the listing time had coincided more with across the board. Just something to consider..
Caron:crying:

CathyD
01-16-2002, 08:37 PM
I know that midnight is not the best time to list ...HEY, we just came up with a 'don't do' if we want our auction to stand out in a crowd.

I work a full time job, and then come home, take care of my family, try to get some painting in and then post auctions. I guess I could reverse the painting and auction part, but I am afraid I would be too tired and not get to painting. ( I usually don't hit the internet til 10:30. It's a matter of organization though. I will work on it. Thank you for making such a good observation.

Catherine

CarlyHardy
01-16-2002, 09:26 PM
I've listed a couple of times with the $1 starting bid...but didn't find that the outcome of the auction was a lot better than if I had started it at a higher #. I did get a lot of action with bidders but they dropped out quickly when the amount reached about $30. I think they were looking for a really cheap painting.

Before I'll list that low again, I'll have a larger buyer base. This past year, I've found that my best buyers are repeats. That tells me they like the work they received and want to buy more!! Hooray!

For me its been important to build an awareness of 'who I am' at ebay. My ID name (carlyart) is in all my titles making it easier to search for me. I link to my About Me Page and my Gallery Auctions in my descriptions. I make it as easy as possible for any viewer to see all my auctions.

Hope the $1 starting bid works well for you!
carly

Caron
01-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Thank you Carly. I believe the more information you can offer about yourself and the more you can advertise yourself, the more successful you will be at selling. Thank you for those pointers!
Cathy, for your loading time, maybe try loading to Miste Lister first and then go back at good time and load them to Ebay. That way it doesnt interfer with your personal or painting time. I have taken time in the week to post my listings on Mister Lister and then on Saturday night at 11, I send the entire list to Ebay and it only takes a few minutes....
Caron

CathyD
01-17-2002, 12:30 AM
I was looking at the Andale site today, is that where Mr. Lister is? I only had a minute and I couldn't remember where I saw it. For those of us who have not used that service, is there a cost? I am going to go check it out!

Byeeeee
Cathy

Caron
01-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Cathy, if you go to Ebays main Home page, at the very bottom there is a link to 'services'. Under Buying and Selling Tools, go to 'Seller Services Page'. There you will find the link to Mister Lister Bulk upload. It is a free service program that you download to your system. You add at your leisure, the auctions you want to list and can upload it to Ebay, do corrections and see what they are going to look like. They can sit there on the site without being started until you launch them. Hope this helps!
Caron:cat:

tammy
01-17-2002, 08:15 PM
I've tried not only the $1 auction but also the 1 cent auction and unfortunately that about what I got but.....the good thing was that the buyer became a repeat buyer for my other auctions so that was good.