PDA

View Full Version : VPON - Friday Night Paint and Chat - Sept 23

khourianya
09-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Friday Night Paint and Chat

Date:Friday September 23, 2005

Time: 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Host: Cori (khourianya)

anything goes...bring what your working on and settle in for a friday night paint and chat

World time clock:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=23&year=2005&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=80

Piper Ballou
09-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Cori-Do not think I can be here Friday night. bummer
but, wait to you see Rose and her new webcam, it looks so good and Debbie is also all set up
have fun
piper

khourianya
09-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Aww - I'm sad you might not be able to be there...maybe we'll have lots of oterh people drop by....it'll be fun anyway - they always are. But we'll certainly miss you alot, Piper.

scall0way
09-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I sure hope to make it. My camera is all set up. I just have to figure out what I'm going to paint. :)

khourianya
09-22-2005, 05:19 PM
The wde images will be posted about 3 hours before we start so that should be good for inspiration. Then there are the pastel riot too. That's probably what I'll be doing...

scall0way
09-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Yes, I plan to check the WDE images, and there is the pastel riot certainly. However I *may* have a painting or two in an art show next month! It is not a juried show, and no prizes are being given, but it is being held at the Women's Club in my town, and wants to highlight local artists. A friend who is in the show told me they are looking for several more artists, so I'm trying to see if I might get in.

If I do, the theme for the show is "Red". That's it, just "Red". I do have one picture I just did recently that features lots of red, but thought I might try to complete a second one. I found a cool pic of a clear glass vase filled with white flowers against a red background in the RIL that I am tempted to try, though I'm not very good with clear glass, and even worse with lots of flowers! But I'm tempted to give it the old college try, and if it turns out rotten the show will never know. I might not get in anyway. :)

khourianya
09-23-2005, 01:10 AM
ohh - a show on the topic red! That sounds really cool. There is a girl over in the Abstracts forum (Mountainsong, I think) She was painting a series of red, trying to do the perfect red abstract. you should do a search for her work. It's really good!

khourianya
09-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Just bumping this up a bit...the paintout is tonight, after all. Hope to see some of the regulars and maybe even some newbies!!

Muffin_4377
09-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey folks....Wish I could be there tonight. I had to go back outta town, but I intend on being back Sunday.
I did fix my computer and got Yahoo up and running. I'm so excited to join in on the fun, and getting to know ya all better through chat.

See ya all next week.....

Oh ya, HEY CORI......Na NA NA Boo Boo, I'm going to the "Paint Spot" tomorrow...now I just need to decide what to buy.....hmmmmmm.

khourianya
09-23-2005, 06:43 PM
hmmm, well my birthday is less than 2 months away - how about some sennelier irridescents for me? :evil: I'm jealous...

Khadres
09-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I may just be there via chat since I kinda want to spend the evening just doing some thumbnails of ideas for new stuff and keep tabs on the hurricane, etc. I'll be upstairs and won't have anything on the easel per se, so don't need to take up screen space with a video window. I will be there tho and can maybe post some thumbnails later!

scall0way
09-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Well I was there and it was fun, but I had to drop out because I was tired and I was hating my picture too much! Cori was doing a really cool one of lemons and I can't wait to see it.

I decided to try a picture I liked from the RIL, flowers in a vase on a red background. I thought it might be cool to use if I got into the "Red" art show (looking less likely since I never have even gotten a reply from the email about it I sent three days ago). However I have always been rotten at flowers and this picture is no exception. I was hoping maybe I had made some progress since the last time I tried flowers.

Anyway, I was tired, and it was dark and the lighting not so good, so I finally realized that I was not going to accomplish anything more tonight, so I'll show you what I did this evening. This was a "long" picture for me. I must have spent a good 90 minutes on it which is unheard of for me, LOL.

So you can get a better idea of why I hate them I also sent a couple close-ups of the flowers. Flowers and I are *not* friends!

khourianya
09-24-2005, 02:43 AM
Here's mine from tonight. It was a really fun night - our 3 hour paintout ended up stretching to almost 5 hours!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/47843-stilllifewithlemosn.jpg

I think I should stick to critters...

khourianya
09-24-2005, 02:49 AM
and now for the screenshot:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/47843-vponsept23.jpg

Thanks to Donna, Sooz, Debbie, Alex, Piper, John & Mary for a fun Friday night. I think Alex officially wins our award for being the member from the furthest away (Ukraine). We are so happy you set your alarm and joined us so freaking early in the morning!!!

Cheena K
09-24-2005, 05:29 AM
I wish I could be a part of it, just missed it by a few hrs...maybe next time :)

johndill01
09-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I was just going to tell everyone that if they watch Debbie paint and blink more than once, she has finished. :) I don't know how Cori gets any pastel on the paper. Seems she's typing (or should I say talking ) replies all the time. :D I like both of the paintings. It was fun to watch them progress, just sorry that I could not stay around and watch the finish. Need to keep up the good work. :clap:

scall0way
09-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Wow Cori, look at the shine on that lemon! Just beautiful.

stonewhiteclown
09-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Greetings from far away land lol!
Cori did wonders that's true! She chatted away but nevertheless did that really nice painting from scratch right in front of the webcam!
Debbie your painting makes great impact from the distance! I can see why you are disappointed with it on the close-ups though. I bet bigger less fiddly flowers would make a difference :)
I really enjoyed the event! I took pretty simplistic WDE photo but still managed to make a mess of it. This is 9"x6" oil pastels on canvas paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/30926-OP240905_cloudy_day.jpg

khourianya
09-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Hardly a mess, Alex. It has the feel of an Alaskan cruise (which is what it was, so you got it right on the money).

How do I get so much done? I'm the queen of multi-tasking! Iwas also watching the news on the hurricane when I was painting too...and ate dinner and picked up Cam as well..... Of course, last night i was wishing I'd mounted an 8 X 10 piece of paper, rather than an 11 X 14. I may crop it a bit anyway...just to adjust the scale of it. And I have to clean my laptop today to get rid of all of the pastel dust on it. most of the keys are yellow and blue now.

Cheena, you should totally join VPON! We have so much fun at the paintouts and, as we get more people from around the world, more convenient times for paintouts will certainly come up. Right now, I think most of them aren't very convenient for our overseas folks (the saturday morning ones are usually ok, though, so perhaps I should host another one of those next week)

scall0way
09-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Alex, nice job. The picture has a sort of cool and misty feel to it, which is how I think of Alaskan cruises.

Great fun, and I don't hate my flowers as much in the light of day, though I don't think painting flowers will prove to be my "thing". :)

Khadres
09-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Debbie, I like your treatment on the flowers! Quite striking and a WHOLE lot better than I could've done!

Cori, you picked one of the most challenging images to do and have done very well with it! Hosting a paintout and trying to get something done can be quite a challenge sometimes!

Yep, it was lots of fun, and I was really impressed that we had round-the-world attendance! How cool is THAT?! Alex, your sea./sky-scape is lovely and very atmospheric!

I will have to take my lowly thumbnail downstairs and try to get a pic of it a little later. It was less than wonderful, but hey....nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

khourianya
09-24-2005, 02:27 PM
no such thing as a lowly thumbnail - it is an important part of preparing to paint a bigger masterpiece... :D

rosebard
09-24-2005, 02:53 PM
It sounds like you guys had lot of fun. That is great. Looking forward to see you guys tomorrow at Sunday Paint out - Sept 25.

Cori what a nice still life painting! :clap:

Hey Debbie, I like the flower vase. Specially the red background. :clap:

Hi Alex!! YOu're from Ukraine. Great!! What a nice painting you did. I like the peace feeling it gives. :clap:

See you all there!

scall0way
09-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Just as an additional comment. I made a few changes and tweaks to the picture I did Friday after looking at it again today, so here is the updated version.

Piper Ballou
09-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Debbie, I like it...love the shadows on the red background