PDA

View Full Version : red flowers in pot

nevbogus
09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
this is a 16 x 20 canvas. it was done as a lesson from a book. i have never done still life before and, while im really pleased with the pot, i would like feedback on areas i need to work on in this and future similar paintings.
thanks,
dean :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2005/19537-red_flowers_in_pot.jpg

Nitsa
09-21-2005, 04:39 AM
I agree, the pot is beautiful, has real texture!.....I love the palette and I think the painting as a whole is a fantastic still life, for a first attempt you should be chuffed. :clap:
The floor reminds me of clay and I like the way you have blended your background.

The only thing I think I would add would be a few stems to the bottom flowers, they seem to look suspended in space.

kieran
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi Dean,
Great job :clap: lovely colours. One thing - is it me or does the left side of the pot appear unbanalnced in relation the right? It looks like it's either too narrow at the bottom or too wide on top.
- Kieran :)

Lady Carol
09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
The problem I see is that the left looks to be leaning apart from the fact that the top of the pot is not symmetrical.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/11811-19537-red_flowers_in_pot.gif

A little bit more work on the pot should sort this out but also if you add some more plant to the left to break up that line will help to eliminate the rigid form there.

Leslie Pz
09-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Coming along well. Carol has some good points and agree with her e-version. Still, this piece is very interesting to see and like the way you've treated the flowers.

bullyluvver
09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I like this too - especially the way you've blended the BG.

Gail

JanB
09-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Good advice from Lady Carol. Personally I find the pot to be symmetric enough to not be visually bothersome but I would like to see some of the lovely warm colors from the rest of the piece integrated into the foliage. While the green works as a nice complement to all the reddish hues the foliage seems a little cold and would benefit from some warms worked in. Some very nice strengths here: nice lighting, beautiful background nice non-fussy handling of the flowers. A very good effort!!

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2005, 05:20 PM
You've handled the paint beautifully in the bk/gd and base areas - The pot I find OK too - as it's dark and 'lost' on the left, this may lead to the thinking of it not being symmetrical - but it doesn't disturb me!
What does, however, is the shape of the plant - and Carol has pointed that out too; it forms such a solid visual, thaat it makes the group a bit ugly - which is a pity when there's so much beauty here!
The greens are also a little on the blue side - they need to be more sympathetic to the red flowers.
All in all though, you've done well :D :clap: :clap:

nevbogus
09-21-2005, 10:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/19537-red_flowers_in_pot_2.jpg
thanks once again for the great feedback. i have made some changes from some of the suggestions and would like to know if its better or not.
i will work more on the pot as i stuffed up the shading a bit when i changed the shape of it.
"The greens are also a little on the blue side - they need to be more sympathetic to the red flowers." - charlie's mum. it was more a bad photo than anything else. they are more green than the original suggested.
"I would like to see some of the lovely warm colors from the rest of the piece integrated into the foliage." janb. unfortunately jan, with my lack of art education, i have no idea how to do this! :crying:
i have taken both pieces of lady carol's advice on board. the pot is now more symmetrical with the bottom left expanded, and i added some leaves to the left to break up the line you drew.
"The only thing I think I would add would be a few stems to the bottom flowers, they seem to look suspended in space."- nitsa. i have tried to do this but you be the judge if it is noticeable, or better!
to all others , thanks for the comments. :D

Lady Carol
09-22-2005, 08:00 AM
The pot looks so much better and that "line" is now broken up. What an improvement. Well done.

Nitsa
09-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Much improved...Well done!

chaz
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
The Final post is a great improvment over the original. I like the greening of the leaves, and I noticed you were able to insert some stems on some of the flowers. The "lost edge" on the left side of the pot is a nice touch.

It's a an interesting encouraging sign of your positive atitude and desire to learn by how you handled the suggestions by the group. A sure sign of an up and coming artist.

Congratulations,

Chuck

3chaway9
09-22-2005, 02:46 PM
very nice finish.