PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Artist Needs?

chuckie
09-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm putting together some art supplies for a pastel artist who lost her stuff in the hurricane. I think I've got the big stuff covered, but what are all the little gadgets, gizmos and whatnots you have in your pastel boxes that you can't live without? I haven't used pastels since high school... way, way back in time... so I don't remember.

I have some of those paper nibs for blending, some natural sponges, and some of those stencil paint brushes, but there's got to be more to the art than what I can think of. She managed to escape with her easel (a new present from her hubby), so that's covered. I'm down to the little things that make pastel life easier. But what they are, I just don't know.

Any suggestions?

Char

Bringer
09-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I like the colour shapper with the tapper point. I guess mine is size 2.
A stiff round brush with 1/4 inch diameter for scrubbing.
A kneadable eraser.
Sanded paper : Colourfix or Wallis
Artist's tape - I don't use it tough because it doesn't exist in my country

Regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2005, 05:17 PM
A sharpener for pastel pencils, sand paper blocks, also for sharpening. blending stumps, if she uses them. Can't think of anything else right now!

Khadres
09-20-2005, 05:21 PM
She might like a mahl stick or a "bridge" to keep her hand off painted areas when putting in details...also a good lamp for light...maybe one that can clamp to her easel... And baby wipes for dirty hands, surgical gloves or finger cots to keep hands from getting too too dirty...apron with pockets...charcoal...bulldog clips or similar to hold reference material, etc. Does she still have a portfolio to put her finished work in? White plastic type eraser...inexpensive "planning" paper as well as the good stuff...small box of watercolor pans for underpainting. The list could go on and on, but these are just things I could think off offhand. Wish your friend the best from us here on WC!

Deborah Secor
09-21-2005, 12:31 AM
A palette box of some kind, of course, a lot of good masking tape, and if she paints landscapes, a red viewing filter & gray scale card. Some one-sided razor blades for removing paper from pastel sticks. I also have several of the foam house-painting brushes, the kind you use for trim, which I use for toning my Wallis paper and for erasing paintings... That may just be me, but she might find them useful too!

Also be sure and give her the web address for WC! and point her to the pastel forum! :)

Deborah

chuckie
09-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You've given me some good ideas that I can afford to add to her goodie box.

Also be sure and give her the web address for WC! and point her to the pastel forum! :)DeborahDeborah, she's already a member of WC. I think she joined in February of this year. I'd have to go check her profile to refresh my memory, though. She'd be here right now, but the dial up modem and her computer doesn't seem to be able to handle the high-graphic nature of this site.

Thanks everyone!!

Char

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2005, 02:18 PM
I think I am sending off a package to the same person too - just gathered a bunch of stuff together - she also uses watercolor and acrylics besides the pastels.

Deborah Secor
09-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Is the identity of this person a secret? I guess I just figured that since you weren't mentioning a nickname, we didn't know her! Glad we already do... :)

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Her name here is Shadowcats - she is from Bay St. Johns which she said was an artists' colony. She has since temporary moved to Florida, but she asked in the Swap Shop that we think of artists who needed art supplies after losing everything.

Here is her link to her thread in the Swap Shop:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292457

chuckie
09-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes, that's her. She's a sweetheart. I think another WC pastel artist is sending some pastels, I'm sending odds & ends, some paper and beads (she's making some jewelry for the people at the condo office and some others who've been helping out).

Char

chuckie
09-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Is the identity of this person a secret?

Deborah, I was worried about not turning the thread into a post that should have been in the Katrina Assistance thread, that's all.

Char

chuckie
09-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi everybody!

Because everyone here is so wonderful and caring, I think we have Sharon well on her way to restocking her supplies! Thank you to all of you who were able to pitch in!!

I urge everyone to dig into the back of their closets, into the bottom of the craft supply bin and anywhere else you may have stashed your goodies. Over the next few months as WC members are able to find their way home and reconnect with the outside world we will find many more artists in need of help.

The spirit of an artist lives through the art he or she creates. Artists find solace from the daily grind through their art. The tremendous loss suffered in the Gulf area and anywhere else for that matter is a depressing issue. My recommendation? ART THERAPY!! We need to help them restock their supplies so they can use their money to rebuild their lives.

Thanks again for everyone who's helped out. Dig through your stuff, find your extras and be ready for the next person you find who needs help!

Char

Deborah Secor
09-22-2005, 12:28 PM
You're really doing a great service here, Char. Thanks for your caring heart and the help you're giving. :)

Deborah

khourianya
09-23-2005, 01:17 AM
This is such a thoughtful thing you are doing, Char. I don't have much to spare in terms of supplies, but if i do find somethings, i will think of the victims first...