PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot! Fall/pumpkin/halloween Theme

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
It's been a long time since we have had a paint together, a Pastel Riot.
So here's the thing. I have posted a selection of photos from the RIL,(thanks to all who donated them), and a landscape photo of mine. I tried to choose something for everyone.
The theme is Fall/Pumpkin/Halloween. It's for softies and oilies. We have til Halloween to paint and post.
And please post all paintings and responses to this thread. We don't want to flood the forums with our goodies. :D
This will be a lot of fun, so I hope all of you join in!

khourianya
09-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Ohhh - how fun. I can hardly wait to get home and paint something!!!!

CM Neidhofer
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Oh cool! I've chosen mine already! :)

Christine

Pat Isaac
09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Fun, fun, fun. I started one of these is a Tops thread last year. Is it legal to finish it now and post??? Heehee

Pat

*Deirdre*
09-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Is there a high res image of the landscape? I'd lik to try, but like to see the detaills! :wink2:

eclectix
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Can we participate by following the theme but not using one of the ref images?

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Is there a high res image of the landscape? I'd lik to try, but like to see the detaills! :wink2:
Sorry Deirdre, it's a scan from a snapshot. I'm afraid that is as good as it gets.

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Can we participate by following the theme but not using one of the ref images?
Sure! If you have something you'd rather use, but fits with the theme, go for it!

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Fun, fun, fun. I started one of these is a Tops thread last year. Is it legal to finish it now and post??? Heehee

Pat
LOL, Pat. You have a head start!

scall0way
09-21-2005, 10:25 AM
This looks like fun. I *do* love pumpkins!

Deborah Secor
09-21-2005, 05:00 PM
I love this photo you shared, Kate! Thanks... I did a very quick one on a scrap of Wallis, about 8x11" and just threw the color around! What a blast--I almost said riot...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/23609-Rocky_Fork--riot.JPG

Fall is about my favorite time of year. I'm sure ready for it even if it's 90 degrees today!

Deborah

Pat Isaac
09-21-2005, 06:05 PM
This is wonderful Deborah and it sure looks like fall.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
09-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Dee, This is just great!! I love how you handled my little spot on the lake!

Orchidacea
09-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Deborah, how beautiful! I've tried throwing pastels around, but I just end up with broken pastels....

I can only aspire to be able to do something like this!

Deborah Secor
09-22-2005, 12:17 AM
<sputter, giggle> LOL @ Kim! Well, I use broken pieces! Glad you like it. Thanks Kate and Pat, too--it was fun. It isn't that black in the foreground. It's really dark greens and reds, but you get the idea.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-22-2005, 12:18 AM
<sputter, giggle> LOL @ Kim! Well, I use broken pieces! Glad you like it. Thanks Kate and Pat, too--it was fun. It isn't that black in the foreground. It's really dark greens and reds, but you get the idea.

Hope we start to see some pumpkins and kids and things here!! :D

Deborah

*Deirdre*
09-22-2005, 07:04 AM
I had to do it too! Such a great scene! :clap:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/33616-autumn.jpg
I forgot that the blues go sssssssso blue! :eek:

Deborah Secor
09-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Oooooo, nice take on this one, Pat! I like the foreground you did... :)

Deborah

Pat Isaac
09-22-2005, 06:49 PM
I like it too...Pat

*Deirdre*
09-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks Dee & Pat! How often would that happen? DEE & PAT together I mean! My name is Deirdre Pattenden...Hence Dee & Pat! :evil:

Orchidacea
09-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Dee & Pat! How often would that happen? DEE & PAT together I mean! My name is Deirdre Pattenden...Hence Dee & Pat! :evil:

Oh that's funny--now I feel I shouldn't say anything and spoil the symmetry, lol. Well, my last name is Denise, which starts with De.....

Oh yeah, I'm here about the painting--it's vibrant, deirdre. I LIKE the bright blue! Very fall-sky-ish.

watergirl
09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Okay, I am going to try this with this one. Anyone else want to try?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/43083-littletmod.jpg

Deborah Secor
09-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Oooooo, nice take on this one, Pat! I like the foreground you did... :)

Deborah

Well, my Pat was Dierdre... LOL This is like a comedy routine to read through! Pat who? Dierdre? Or Dee? Or was that Pat? <scratching head>

Love this little punkin's face with the pumpkins behind--have fun!

Deborah

Orchidacea
09-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Well, my Pat was Dierdre... LOL This is like a comedy routine to read through! Pat who? Dierdre? Or Dee? Or was that Pat? <scratching head>

Well, 'Dee,' I think you have it down pat now. :evil:

Watergirl, I love your photo. If I had any clue how to do faces, I just might join you. But I think I'll stick to inanimate objects for now...

Pat Isaac
09-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Pat, me..... heehee....If I had more time I might try the face. Cute photo.

pat

Pat Isaac
09-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Okay, here is my cheater. I started it last year in another thread and finished it today, I think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2005/35760-pump.jpg

OP on colorfix paper about 12" x14".

I will try to do another one.

Pat

Deborah Secor
09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Wow--love the bright fall colors here... and such nice contrast. Excellent, Pat!

Deborah

Orchidacea
09-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow, Pat, I love it! Nice job on the straw--it looks absolutely real.

Pat Isaac
09-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks, I had fun doing it.

pat

scall0way
09-24-2005, 09:01 AM
If I had any clue how to do faces, I just might join you. But I think I'll stick to inanimate objects for now...

LOL, me too. The classes I'm taking at the Art Museum all have us drawing from live models, and it is utter terror. You should have seen how cockeyed the eyes came out on my picture from last week! (actually you *can* if you look in the weekly sketch thread over in OP, as all I had with me were my OPs, LOL). Just awful. :)

I figure a nice harmless pumpkin is never going to complain if I make it look too fat. :D On the other hand, even inanimate objects can throw me. I was quite distressed at my flowers in last night's VPON session! But a pumpkin....just need to do a nice fat pumpkin to build up my confidence again.

Pat Isaac
09-24-2005, 09:39 AM
You're doing just fine, Debbie so don't get down on yourself so much. Looking forward to the pumpkins.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Wow! You guys have been busy while I was gone, very busy.
Dierdre, I just love your version of my lake photo. It is such a beautiful spot, and one of my favorite places. I hope you don't mind, I am saving the different versions of this scene. Yours is great!

Pat, Yours is beautiful, too. Very realistic. Great take on it.

I still haven't started mine. I know, I'm bad. Hope to get to it this week.

scall0way
09-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Well I wanted to get started on a pumpkin theme, but it was getting late tonight, so this is just a rough WIP. Only about 30 minutes worth of work on it so far. It's done on Canson, smooth side, 12x16. Tomorrow is a busy night, but maybe Friday I'll get to work on it more.

I really wanted to do the landscape, but since I'm rotten at trees and rotten at water I figured that had better wait. :)

Pat Isaac
09-29-2005, 07:39 AM
These are going to be a great pile of pumpkins. Like your WIP.

Pat

HarvestMoon
09-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I love the native american guy- but i guess that is not a choice, but one of your wonderful pieces of art- i have just not been in the mood for pastel-ing in ages.... perhaps when it starts to cool off here it will be better.... Debbie i have seen your trees and water- if i ever get as good as you at those i would be thrilled- loved the alaskan picture....

scall0way
09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Well I had some time to work on the pumpkins tonight before choir, which I did not expect. I'm not sure where to go with them now! This is what I have gotten to now. I would like to make the highlights lighter, but the light colors are not layering well at all over the darker ones, and my attempts to lighten in much have all resulted in failure. I think I may just stop here on this one, and maybe attempt another later if I have the time! Pat, your pumpkins are so incredible bright and vibrant! That's what I wanted too, but can't seem to get them here. Well maybe I'll call this one a wrap. :)

Orchidacea
09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I took some great pumpkin reference shots the other day--anybody want me to post them? I'm painting one now. I may even finish it before winter comes, lol.

Orchidacea
09-29-2005, 07:49 PM
It's tough on Canson , Debbie--not much tooth to work with. You might want to give it a shot of fixative, then put a layer of pastel all over to bring the sparkle back--and then you can bump up your highlights too! Don't throw this away!

scall0way
09-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes, I know it can be hard on Canson, but lately I've been having such good results with the Canson that I've gotten cocky I guess, LOL. Well I won't give up on it just yet, I'll try your suggestion first :)

K Taylor-Green
09-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Debbie, I love your pumpkins! Shows what fall and harvest is all about.
I don't think I would do any more to this.
Kim, by all means, post a couple. We'd love to see them.

Pat Isaac
09-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Great pumpkins, Debbie. I'd leave them alone too.

Pat

Orchidacea
09-30-2005, 09:10 PM
This is from a photo I took outside a local supermarket last week. I wasn't shopping, but I pulled into the fire lane and snapped a bunch of pictures. It was a blindingly sunny day...I tried to deepen the colors to get rid of that sunbleached look. This was a lot of fun to play with. 7 x 9.5 on Wallis.

I couldn't get a decent photo of the painting--finally gave up and went with this one. It's actually much brighter and clearer in real life. [edit: I posted a different pic, but it's still not quite clear, and has a greenish cast. Oh well.)

I'll post some of the refs I took that day in another post. I have to go dig them out and resize them.

Orchidacea
09-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Here are some reference photos. I included a couple crops since these are small to work with. Enjoy!

K Taylor-Green
09-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Your painting is gorgeous! Wow! And the ref photos are great! Any chance we can use them, too? Great going, Kim.

Orchidacea
09-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Your painting is gorgeous! Wow! And the ref photos are great! Any chance we can use them, too? Great going, Kim.

Thanks, Kate!

Of course you can use the refs--that's why I posted them, silly :D :D !

K Taylor-Green
09-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Oops, must have been that last glass of white wine! Of COURSE that's why you posted them. I saved two of them, no 1 and no 3.

Orchidacea
09-30-2005, 10:32 PM
White wine goes so well with pumpkin....

K Taylor-Green
10-01-2005, 12:01 AM
LOL! :evil:

Pat Isaac
10-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Great painting, Kim. Bright and sunny and I like your composition.
Thanks, for the photos

Pat

Paula Ford
10-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi Everyone and Happy Autumn to all of you. Here is my little landscape, 8 x 10 on ArtSpectrum paper, assorted softies. It's not finished yet, but I just couldn't wait any longer to post my entry!

Pat Isaac
10-01-2005, 06:38 PM
This is really nice, Paula. Very much like fall.

Pat

Ron Biggs
10-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi all, this is my attempt at the landscape. 11 x 8 on Winsor & Newton 100 lbs cartridge paper, Unison softies.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2005/55259-wc-riot.jpg

Orchidacea
10-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Paula, your landscape is beautiful, finished or not! I love the soft trees.

Orchidacea
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Nice job, Ron! You've captured the fall feeling and done some nice reflections! Add just a few highlights and your water will really sparkle. I especially like the brilliant colors on your foreground trees.

CM Neidhofer
10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's my contribution. Couldn't seem to get the hand right and I see her hair should be toned down more, but wasn't sure about doing that either. So I'm calling it finished anyway! C & C's and suggestions always appreciated.

Christine

Orchidacea
10-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Beautiful! Very bold and bright...and who cares about the dang hand anyhow? I like the hair color. LOVE the shirt and the jeans! This is a delightful, upbeat painting. You should be proud!

CM Neidhofer
10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Thank you, very much, for your compliments, Kim! :)

Christine

K Taylor-Green
10-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Paula, This is going to be great!! Unfinished or not, I love the bright colors and light.

Ron, Great job on my little corner of Rocky Fork Lake. When my girls were small, I lived close to here. Great memories and great fun. You have caught the feel of it.

Christy, This is fantastic, the nit pik of the hand aside. You've done a great job on the clothes. I'd be proud of this.

I really need to get mine finished! :(

CM Neidhofer
10-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Kate. Was this from the RIL, or is she one of yours? In either, case, I hope I've done it enough justice.

Christine

Karen Margulis
10-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Great work so far!!! I'm inspired now to try one. As a warm up I did this one. It's a fall scene from a trip I took to Yosemite National Park. I think I'll try one of the pumpkins next. :)
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/53551-art_012.jpg

Pat Isaac
10-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Great job, Christy. Figure classes are apparent. Love the bold bright colors.

Beautiful landscape, Karen. I just saw Ansel Adams show in Boston today, much of it of Yosemite National Park.

Pat

Orchidacea
10-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Karen, that is stunning. So loose and moody. I've been trying to loosen up--not having a lot of success, lol.

CM Neidhofer
10-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Pat...if you're saying I've had figure classes....very WRONG!! If you're saying I NEED figures classes....YES!! LOL I'm going to fix that hand and arm and repost. The arm is too skinny and the hand is too small. But thank you for the complements anyway! :)

Christine

Pat Isaac
10-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry, Christy. I had the wrong person. I'll have to do better about keeping my wits. :eek: NO, you don't need figure classes. Sorry. :o

Pat

CM Neidhofer
10-03-2005, 05:58 PM
LOL...no worries, Pat! :wave:

HarvestMoon
10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
well, i finally did it and ordered a box from http://heilmandesigns.com now if that does not get my studio organized, my pastels in order, and me ready to paint, nothing will- ever!!!! A bit hard to go with fall themes where there is triple digit temps and no leave changes..... but those pics you guys did sure look great! Since one of my cousins in Slidell LA lost his house to hurricane Katrina, he is living in a RV (on crutches from saving his dog)- but he is more upset emotionally from the LSU Tiger loss than anything! So go figure....

Orchidacea
10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
It's still hot here, too, purples...80s, though, not 100s....and not much color change yet either, which is very late...but we're trying to do Fall anyhow, lol. The apple festivals must go on!

That link didn't work--I'll have to try it later. I need a good box for my growing pastel collection!

K Taylor-Green
10-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Linda, I guess your cousin is a real GUY! But he saved what is important, his dog.

A lot of real fine pieces here. Karen, the landscape is really good. Moody discribes it.

Christy, The little girl and pumpkins came from the RIL.

scall0way
10-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Wow, I have not checked in on this thread in a few days, and such wonderful new pictures have been posted. They are really getting me in a "fallish" mood - my favorite season of the year!

Kim, you astonish me. Your pumpkins are so wonderfully bright and shiny, but all that detail with the flowers too! It just takes my breath away.

Paula, Ron, Karen, I love the fall landscapes, a wonderful time of the year for lanscapes. All have that serene fall glow. I'd love to try one myself but I still struggle with water and trees, LOL.

Christy, the little girl with the pumpkins is just darling. Like Kim I just *love* her hair. People scare me too, but I'm struggling with my life drawing classes at the art museum so I hope they will become less scary as time goes on.

Well done everyone. I see I'll have to check here more frequently.

Orchidacea
10-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi Debbie--Thanks for your kind words. I've updated the painting after receiving some excellent composition advice....you can see it here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298489&page=2)

I admire your perseverance with the life drawing classes. That would be intimidating! You're going to get so much out of it, though, so good for you for doing it despite your fears!

scall0way
10-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Kim, I guess my eye for compostion needs a lot of improvement. I loved your first picture and saw nothing wrong with it! After reading the other thread I guess I agree, after beaten over the head by it, that it does looks better with the partial pumpkin on the lower left removed, though it never would have occurred to me on my own. :)

Some of those other sugggestions were just too darn subtle for me. LOL.

jessamina
10-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Okay, I am going to try this with this one. Anyone else want to try?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/43083-littletmod.jpg

okay, well i was going to do an animal in a halloween or autum setting but i decided to take you up on your offere and challenge myself in the process.

this is my first portrait ever so it isn't that great but it was fun to try something different :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2005/66441-pastelriot.jpg

jess :wave:

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Here's my entry for the fall Riot. 8 x 10 on Terra Cotta Art Spectrum. Sprayed blue ink in a spatter pattern to get the dark blues as an underpainting. About an hour into it, but think I'll stop for now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2005/14941-aspen_creek.jpg

Orchidacea
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Oh, Kat....this is looking marvelous! Love those yellows against the blues and purples....can't wait to see the finish!

Deborah Secor
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Kat!!! Kat, Kat, Kat--STOP forever on this one! What more does it need? Love it!! :D

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Go, stop, stop, stop, stop. I guess I'll stop! I tried like the dickens to stay real light and loose in this one - like on purpose - but got caught up in the reflections so they aren't as loose as I wanted them to be.

It was fun not having to think about failing on this one - just having fun with color.

The spraying technique was taught in a workshop I took with Sean Dye - rather than brush strokes, you see dots of color. Something new, eh?

Orchidacea
10-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Go, stop, stop, stop, stop. I guess I'll stop! I tried like the dickens to stay real light and loose in this one - like on purpose - but got caught up in the reflections so they aren't as loose as I wanted them to be.

LOL....I revoke my "go" and vote for "stop"! What do I know anyhow, lol....I just love watching all this great stuff and learning. And yes, I would buy it just as it is!

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey, when we get done with the Riot, I say we post all the finished paintings - like in a show. Maybe next time more people will join us - :evil:

Pat Isaac
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
This certainly says "Fall". Wonderful color. Explain that process a little more please. Is this water base ink and how do you spray it? This is the underpainting, yes?

pat

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Pat - this is Createx ink - the one that Kitty Wallis uses. I used a small spray bottle, laid the paper flat and sprayed the areas I wanted to be dark blue (which was a good portion of the painting). With practice, you can get littly sprayed areas and darker areas. The areas that I wanted to be yellow (trees) and the creek I left untouched. It gives the painting some visual texture if you don't cover it all up.

Pat Isaac
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks, Kat. I'll have to try that.

Pat

maddy777
10-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi I'm a newbie to pastels/art and this forum but thought I would give this a go.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/69100-autumn.jpg

K Taylor-Green
10-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Kat, As you know, I'm no landscape artist. I wouldn't have said to stop there, but it is
very vibrant and beautiful.
Like the idea about a show later.
Maddy, good job! Really like how the water came out. I'm saving all the versions of this scene for my personal scrapbook. Hope you don't mind. This scene is from my little corner of the world.

CM Neidhofer
10-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Ok, I reworked the hand and arm a little. I don't think it's that much difference, but a little better, maybe?? At any rate, it's finished, as far as I'm concerned.

Christine

Pat Isaac
10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Looks great! I'd certainly call it finished. Color is wonderful.

Pat

scall0way
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Kat, I love it. That dark blue is fabulous, and the gold shimmering on the stream is just heavenly. I'd be afeared to touch one single thing were it mine. I'd just put on the frame and be pleased as punch. A lovely loose style which I would dearly love to emulate.

scall0way
10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Christy, I'd call it done too! Your changes were subtle enough that I can't pick them out, but I do think it is such an appealing scene. Great pumpkins, and as I said previously I just love the little girl's hair.

Maddie, welcome! I hope you find WC to be as warm and helpful and friendly a place to hang out as I have found it to be. Please tell us a little about what pastels and papers you are using, and how you came to pastels in the first place. Nice job in tackling that lovely fall landscape, and good work with the water.

CM Neidhofer
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks Pat and Debbie. I'm happy with it now! :)

fortysomething
10-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Hello, this is my first WC post. I know many of you from the artwork you've posted here, and would like to introduce myself in the same manner. My name is Lisa, and I've been using soft pastels for about 6 months. I would like to contribute an autumn still life to this thread. I'm hoping the pumpkin, gourds, and dead flowers (dried weeds) will qualify it as such.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/64375-Bsmt_BlueVaseOnChecks.jpg

C&C is welcomed, and very much appreciated. The piece is soft pastel, 12x9 inches, on Art Spectrum paper. Nice to meet all of you.

Pat Isaac
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Welcome to WC, Lisa. :wave: This is a lovely still life and I like the play of complimentary colors.

Pat

CM Neidhofer
10-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Welcome, Lisa! :wave: Very beautiful work...so soft looking! :)

Christine

scall0way
10-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Welcome Lisa! I hope you continue to post. I love your still life. Lovely color choices, and a soft muted feel to it. Nicely done.

Kathryn Wilson
10-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Christy, Maddy, Lisa - way to go! All very nice entries.

And a special big welcome to our newbies - :)

HarvestMoon
10-08-2005, 03:51 PM
would love to say my daughter did this- but she asked me to- and my excuse is i can't do anything without a picture- and have no printer anymore- so here is my 2nd grade version of a pumpkin....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/57497-pumpkin.jpg

Pat Isaac
10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Teehee, that is too funny about your second grade drawing. This would actually make a great fall graphic.

Pat

Paula Ford
10-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Hello Lisa! Welcome to the Pastel Forum! Nice to meet you.

Your painting is soooooooooooooooooo lovely. What kind of soft pastels do you use? (I'm nosey :D )

So glad you stopped in. Please post more of your work.

Paula

*Deirdre*
10-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Hello Lisa! Welcome to the Pastel Forum! Nice to meet you.

Your painting is soooooooooooooooooo lovely. What kind of soft pastels do you use? (I'm nosey :D )

So glad you stopped in. Please post more of your work.

Paula
Yes please! It's so good! I'd love to see a bigger version! :angel:

fortysomething
10-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Hello again, and thank you all for the kind words about the still life.

I've been using NuPastels & Rembrandts for the intitial block-ins. Then I migrate over to Senneliers and and a few Great Americans to complete a piece. I'm not using any fixative on finished works, but am still using the workable stuff on underneath layers. I hope to wean myself off the can altogether. I like sanded papers.:D

I currrently have very little to show the group, but it's a great incentive to keep busy behind the easel so that I'll be able to contribute more. I still overwork my pictures, and have been trying to eliminate that talent from my present skill set. I don't think pastels are all that easy to get the hang of, and I usually spend twice as long creating a still life set-up as I do painting it.

Bigger? I'm going to have to figure out how to do that.:o I had some difficulty getting this small one to load. I think thumbnails are clickable to bigger images, so I'm off to the FAQ.:D

HarvestMoon
10-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Oh, I am gettin a bit more patient- so this one took me all of 15 min.- I am told we don't really have fall in TX, so this is just a guess, based on a picture in a reference book. Squint a LOT (with a cat hair or 2 in your eye) and it starts to look better!! Hey, I am here to make you guys feel GOOD about your art!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/57497-fall-landscape.jpg

Artistammy
10-08-2005, 07:11 PM
We have Fall but if you blink you miss it. WE tend to go from summer to winter too soon. lol
Tammy

michellej
10-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi There

I've been eavesdropping this past week while I waited for validation.Well i'm here now and would really like to take part in your Pastel Riot. I recently fell in love with the medium and have since downed all other tools for the while to soak in the colours the vibrance and the versatility.
I look forward to learning more on this channel.:wave:
We don't have fall but we do have pumpkins.:)

Deborah Secor
10-09-2005, 12:31 AM
There is a lot of fun work in here. I love a good riot, don't you?

:wave: Hi Maddy and Lisa, nice to meet you!

Hey Michelle! :wink2: How you doing? I want to see some of your work soon! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2005/23609-autumn.jpg
Here's another autumn painting for you--just a fast, fun frolick in color. I may add a few things. That big yellow tree is missing a shadow at the moment! Looks a bit like a tree-shaped lollipop stuck in the ground! LOL But I like the colors...

Happy fall!

Deborah

Pat Isaac
10-09-2005, 09:57 AM
What a wonderful riot of color, Deborah.

Pat

Orchidacea
10-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Gorgeous lollipops....your colors are just fabulous.

K Taylor-Green
10-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow! Some great new stuff here!
Welcome Lisa and Michelle!! Lisa, your still life is great. Love the soft, muted feel.
Linda, Don't sweat it, it looks like a pumpkin!! You should see the stuff that comes out of my head.
Deborah, I'd like to take a walk through your trees. The air feels crisp, but the sun is still warm.
Now that I have my lion painting done, I'm off to the studio for my own Riot piece!

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Michelle- how exciting to meet someone from Trinidad! I went there many years ago on a business trip- the people were the most friendly folks from anywhere I have ever been. I stayed in that hotel in Port of Spain that they call the 'Upside down' hotel because the floors go down the mountain! Took some adjusting- and I was dropped off at the beach over the weekend and told to 'just ask anyone there for a ride back to the hotel'. I would never do this anywhere else in the world- but there it was perfectly safe and made friends on the way back. I really loved your county- did not see Tobago, but mostly the inside of the oil company that at one time was Texaco...

maddy777
10-12-2005, 05:05 AM
Am I cheating if I post another piece?:o I'm working through my beginners book and as I said on another post I bought some bright pastels and had to use them:p Aaaaaaaand I figure the more I do the better I will get ( hopefully). Anyway here is the view (kinda) from our lounge window, I seem to have chopped the edge of the top left hill off:rolleyes: this took about 4 hours to do:crying: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/69100-devon.jpg

Artistammy
10-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Maddy, don't cry...you make me sad. You get better with every bit you paint. Have you seen this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139988 ? Alot of us have made amazing progress & you can too. Try to enjoy the process. :)
Deborah, I love your more loose bright style. It encourages me to see that even pro artists like you can change style & have a fresh approach. Who knows what mine may be like someday? ;)
Tammy

K Taylor-Green
10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Maddy, As long as it has an autumn theme, you can post as many as you like!
A pretty and colorful scene, and yes, the more you do, the better you will get!

khourianya
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Oh my - get sick and turn my back for a minute and you guys are already on page 8!!!

I haven't forgotten my committment to the riot. I have a piece on my easel right now that qualifies....a still life filled with autumny goodness. I made a committment to working from life and this will be my first still life from life. Hopefully I will be ready to post it before the weekend....

Great job everyone. I'd comment individually, but my heavilly medicated head is telling me to go back to bed.....just know that I've seen them all and you guys continue to blow me away with your wonderful fall paintings - each and every one of you!

scall0way
10-15-2005, 03:19 PM
printer anymore- so here is my 2nd grade version of a pumpkin[/IMG]

Purples, I *love* your pumpkin. It's really great. So perfectly bright and shiny and orange, and nice leaves. That one looks like a framer to me. I've tried pumpkins a couple times now and have never been able to achieve that wonderful orange and bright shiny look yet. I did a pumpkin doodle today in the VPON session, which I guess I will post over in that thread.

khourianya
10-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Ok - pretty much done..I may have to post an update, based on the feedback I get in the studio and over in the still life forum...

"Pumpkins & Wine"
9 X 12
Soft pastels on Wallis Museum
Gouache Underpainting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2005/47843-oct16_pumpkinsandwine_final.jpg

Pat Isaac
10-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Nice fall picture, Cori. I might do something with the greens of the flowers. They appear to be too light and not part of the flowers.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Cori, Glad you posted this here! Wonderful addition to our Riot.

Orchidacea
10-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey--I've seen this before!!

Nice finish, Cori. The orange colors really stand out against the warm brown background.

Ron Biggs
10-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Iíve finally finished (I think).

Original Post here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3930535&postcount=52)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/55259-wc-riot-update.jpg

Pat Isaac
10-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Wonderful colors, Ron.

Pat

tking
10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
I originally posted this in the pastel studio forum but moved it here at Deborah's suggestion. 9X12 - AS Colourfix - Rembrandts. I hope you like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/52020-autumn_landscape2.jpg

scall0way
10-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow Tim, I love the water. What wonderful reflections of the trees.

K Taylor-Green
10-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Oh yes, I'd say you're done, Ron. Looks great!! You have captured it well.

Tim, Lovely fall colors. I love the intense blue.

watergirl
10-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Jessamina! Beautiful portrait, don't know if I want to show mine now...but I will soon!

Artistammy
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
I just put 3 pumpkin photos in the RIL if anyone wants to try them.
Tammy

sundiver
10-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi folks! :wave:
I've been wanting to participate in the Riot all month but haven't been able to until now, for health reasons. Pumpkins and fall foliage are on my top ten list of favorite things to paint.
I'm late for catching up on commenting, but have really enjoying seeing all the bright and lively fall paintings! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I painted the little girl with the pumpkin almost exactly 2 years ago in a WDE- she's my cousin's granddaughter.
Today I worked on this from a photo of one of my favorite plei n air spots. I've been wrestling with the composition- did not intend the focal point to be smack in the centre, but there it seems to be! :p
It's oil pastel on dark green matbboard, 5x7.

michellej
10-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi,:)
Finally got something in the "Riot" Had issues with sizing.
I did this two weeks ago plein air.
I didn't get the bottom right, since it was an odd shaped pumpkin. However, I think it's okay considering this was my very first still-life, my very first pastel still-life, my very first plein-air pastel still-life:D
Comments Necessary For Improvement.

Orchidacea
10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Wendy--it's breathtaking! The central focal point doesn't bother me a bit. Oilies, huh? Wow! This really is a beautiful, moody fall painting.

Greta--Wow for you too! All those firsts! This is a lovely pumpkin. Keep up the good work--obviously you have an affinity for still life and for pastel! I especially like your delicate colors and fine detail.

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 05:21 PM
What a wonderful fall riot, Wendy. Center of interest doesn't bother me at all. qa little difference in value between the foreground and background might be helpful. Glad to know where the reference of the little girl with the pumpkin came from as that is the one I did.
Greta, what a great job for a bunch of firsts.

watergirl
10-23-2005, 08:38 PM
I have finally begun to work on my pumpkin friend. Wanted to show this WIP before I started the portrait aspect of the pic-hope I can do it! This is on mounted velour with senneliers and unisons and its about 18X20. Suggestions for bottom of pic appreciated-well all really! Thanks!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/43083-littletwipa.jpg
Molly

michellej
10-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Looks good so far. I like the pumpkins in the background. Press on Molly. Waiting to see what happens next.:)

watergirl
10-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Okay! I plunged right in! Comments are very welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/43083-littletwipc.jpg

K Taylor-Green
10-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Wow! These are all great additions to the Riot!.Love the girl with the pumpkins!
Wendy, A really super fall scene.
Michelle, Congrats on all the firsts! I love to see all of you strive harder. You folks just starting out are just as important as the pros with all their experience! Together we make a well rounded forum of learning and teaching.

khourianya
10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
After a fair bit more work, I thought I'd post the final painting...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/47843-pumpkinsandwine_final.jpg

and a big thanks to everyone who helped me out in the softies studio and the still life forum...

sundiver
10-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Cori, Molly and Michelle, wonderful work!
Watergirl, since you asked for suggestions, I'd warm up her skin tones somewhat, otherwise it's just stunning!
Pat, great advice on my landscape; I took it and am pleased with the results; thanks!
So many fun projects and things in the pastel forums lately- I want to try them all!

watergirl
10-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks Wendy! I am struggling with how to do that- she is very fair skinned and pinkish but think if I add more pink it won't look right. Suggestions?

Pat Isaac
10-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Watergirl, how about some peach tones for her skin rather than pink? Her skin would also reflect some of the blue tones from her clothes.

Pat

watergirl
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks Pat! I will try that out tonight! Her skin would reflect some of those pumpkin colors right?

watergirl
10-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Here is the final I think!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/43083-littletwipd.jpg

K Taylor-Green
10-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Cori, This turned out great!! I especially love the flowers.

Molly, Oh yes, this is much better. I'd almost bet her skin tones are even warmer in real.
Great job!

The Dabbler
10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Here's an effort buy the new kid on the block:wave:

K Taylor-Green
10-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Well, hi, and welcome!! Never too late. I gotta ask, what kind of paper did you use, and what brand(s) of pastels. We're all nosy that way!
The pumpkins are great, and I love the wispy way her hair looks.

The Dabbler
10-29-2005, 12:54 AM
what kind of ......
Hi Katherine
Mungyos on strathmore,...Noth'n but the best for me:rolleyes:
The colors really washed out during the scan, dunno what to do about that.
Regards D.

K Taylor-Green
10-29-2005, 11:18 AM
LOL!
As for scanning, I've found that if you enhance the colors in a photo program first, they will post closer to reality. Wierd, huh?

CM Neidhofer
10-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Mungyos on strathmore,...Noth'n but the best for me:rolleyes:
Regards D.

I like Mungyos. I have a small set. I use them a lot for the initial underpainting.

Christine

Khadres
10-30-2005, 06:50 PM
OK, this ain't much, just something I tried for the fun of it...totally from my warped imagination....about 7X9 or so on Colourfix, with anything remotely resembling pastel that would work. I should know better than to attempt a lot of detail on something this small, but oh well!

This is "The Witch's Porch" (complete with help-yourself poison apples!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/34895-porch.jpg

CM Neidhofer
10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Very cool! I love it!! :D

Christine

Orchidacea
10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Sooz--that is SO cute! Love the eyes under the porch. Happy hauntings!

Kathryn Wilson
10-30-2005, 07:11 PM
OK, this ain't much, just something I tried for the fun of it...totally from my warped imagination....about 7X9 or so on Colourfix, with anything remotely resembling pastel that would work. I should know better than to attempt a lot of detail on something this small, but oh well!

This is "The Witch's Porch" (complete with help-yourself poison apples!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/34895-porch.jpg

Oh, how fun is this! Kewl, Sooz :clap:

Paula Ford
10-30-2005, 07:15 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: YAY Sooz!! Love the glow in the pumpkin and on the porch! Great little painting!

Paula

ColorMyWorld
10-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi! Thought I'd add to the holiday paintings.
Oil pastel on canvas, 11x14"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/48177-pumpkin_carver_03-A.jpg

K Taylor-Green
10-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow! I can't believe it! I turn my back for a day, and look, more entries!
Sooz, I just love this. Really in the "spirit". http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/feiertage/feiertag-smiley-004.gif
Ann, great job. A very well done and colorful entry.

Chloe_1
10-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Just got my painting done tonight on mi teinte.
I just found the first picture, with the little girl in costume adorable.
The paper color is much darker. It is a red orange tint. It doesn't quite show it clearly here.
Here it is!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/68155-Picture_0321

Khadres
10-31-2005, 02:47 AM
Anne and Chloe what cute little munchkins! That's the age when they really enjoy the costumes and treats! Very well done on both paintings!

K Taylor-Green
10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
My humble offering, very loosely done, not my usual style at all! Leaves collected from my yard. They didn't mind posing at all. I love the colors against the blue board, but am disappointed in how the dull red leaf scanned. Oh well!
Happy Halloween to all!

Chloe, I just love your little costumed girl. I almost did that one myself, but just couldn't find the time to do her justice.

Chloe_1
10-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Tks Kate and Khadres. Nice colorful leaves Kate.. :wave:

bbryant
10-31-2005, 11:15 PM
There has been so much great work with this project, can't comment on everything! Isn't fall the best? Looking forward to some more great posts!

I have fallen behind on my piece for the fall riot! I will go ahead and post my pumpkin WIP that I seem to be fiddling with here and there. This is from some images Orchidacea posted way back in the beginning of the riot.

I have much to do, about 1 1/2 hours into this and can't seem to find the time to get it finished! 22" x 28" Sennelier OP on Rives BFK, unprimed. I'll do my best to have it finished this week... Suggestions welcome- I know I have lots to do with the crate, and have to get some flowers on the rest of the mums!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/68268-pumpkins_wip.JPG

Came through quite dark, much more vibrant in person!

Happy Halloween!

Orchidacea
11-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Bethany, it's gorgeous! What fun to see someone else paint one of my photos! Be sure to post the finish.

Pat Isaac
11-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Likewise, I go away for 2 days and here are all these new entries. They are just great.

Pat

Khadres
11-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Love those leaves, Kate, and your punkin pic is really cool, Bethany! Those were such great photos....thanks Pat!