PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Sketch Thread - Sept 19-26

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Good Morning Pastelists! Happy Monday morning to all of you!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Here is the link to last week’s thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294415

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Wallis...Wallis...Wallis!!!

Go to Kitty Wallis' forum and ask her to send you a sample of her paper. Once you try it, you'll never go back to normal paper.

Art Spectrum has 9 x 12 sheets, along with larger ones that you can cut. Not as good as Wallis, but along the same lines (sanded paper).

Paula

Sherrybella
09-19-2005, 07:13 PM
i should do my student work on wallis paper? i thought cheaper paper was better to practice on. i guess if i keep making these problems for myself, it is not cheaper in the long run?:clap:

Karen Margulis
09-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi Sherry! :wave:
When I first started pastels I felt the same way...I didn't deserve to use the more expensive paper! But what I found was it was easier on the better paper and I was happier with the results...which made the learning curve less steep. I find that I like the art spectrum paper almost as much as Wallis. And besides...I know your work and you definitely deserve the good paper!!! :)
Karen

scall0way
09-19-2005, 10:34 PM
<wrong thread but can't delete!>

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Karen, You are absolutely right! Wallis paper makes me a better artist. It is much easier to work with than another pastel paper. Wallis is really wonderful and makes the pastels lay down so much easier.

As Karen said, you're work is worth Wallis, Sherry. It will make all the difference in the world.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm the first...YAY :clap: :clap: :clap:

It was such a job to walk into my studio and sit down and paint. No hassles!! For those of you who didn't see my little studio (just created it this past weekend), I've included a picture below.

Here is my first for the week. Was actually looking at a Richard McDaniel book.

Assorted soft pastels on Wallis, 6 x 9, 1 hour. To tell you the truth, it looks much better in person. The camera really washed out the colors.

Paula

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 10:38 PM
OH Debbie!! How beautiful...

Actually DEBBIE IS THE FIRST!! :clap: :clap: :clap: YAY :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's really lovely!!!

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 10:39 PM
OH GOOD GRIEF...I posted this in the wrong thread...asking mods to move this.

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3893838#post3893838

LOL...I accidentally posted in the wrong thread! Please see the link, there are two sketches in there. I've asked the mods to move the posts into this thread.

Paula

Kathryn Wilson
09-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Scratching my head on this one - will have to go find out how to do this.

Kat

scall0way
09-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Okay, I have not posted here lately. I was on vacation for three weeks, then busy catching up when I got back! But tonight I had a little free time, so I decided to paint a picture for this thread. This is from an image in the RIL, and took just about an hour. I posted in the wrong thread initially, but here it is now!

Kathryn Wilson
09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Okay, I moved posts over here from the last sketch thread, but some things are out of order. Best I can do!

CM Neidhofer
09-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Debbie, this is very nice! Your best so far, IMO. :clap:

Christine

Khadres
09-20-2005, 01:54 AM
*head spinning around ala Exorcist* okay....saw Debbie's sketch...lovely, lovely! Saw Paula's, too, gorgeous, gorgeous! Is there supposed to be anything else? I'm glad I didn't have to figure the order thing out! LOL

Paula Ford
09-20-2005, 02:14 PM
LOL...thanks so much Kat for moving everything to this thread!!

Nancy Leone
09-20-2005, 08:13 PM
The sketch thread is a little sketchy this week :confused: so I should fit right in!
Paula, congratulations on your studio....must be wonderful. Your piece is beautiful....the clouds are so light and airy.
Debbie, Your so speedy, nice work.
These are terrible pictures but thought I'ld share what I've been doing while at work. These are tiny, 2.75"x1.75" Wallis framed in little $1.00 frames. I can do these in no time at all, keeps me sketching and I don't make a mess at work. I work long hours during the summer months and get frustrated that I don't have time to paint. So these little minis keep me happy.

Paula Ford
09-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks Nancy! It really is wonderful to have my little space to paint. I can go into my studio and just shut the world out and paint away.

I LOVE these little ones!! They are wonderful! Do you sell them? Or, just keep them all to yourself?

Debbie, Just to say again, your little painting is lovely! You did a wonderful job on it.

Here is my sketch tonight. Soft pastels on sketch pad, about 5 x 7.

Hey Sooz?? Do you have one of those overhead projector things? If so, what kind? Almost bought that pencil sharpener today you were talking about, but stopped myself from hitting the "buy" button cause I told my husband I wanted one for my birthday.

YIPPY...I won an auction for 12 Terry Ludwig pastels (ultramarine series) on Ebay last night...YIPPY...

Well, here is my sketch...I promise to shut up :D

Khadres
09-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Overhead projector? I have an old movie projector and we did have a slide one, but lord knows where they are down in the basement. You'll love the pencil sharpener when you get it and the Ludwigs, as well!

Neat watering can, BTW! And your studio looks so nice and CLEAN and NEAT....arghhhh!

Paula Ford
09-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks Sooz. That can looks so much better IRL. The colors aren't that blue and it looks much more realistic.

I'm sorry. I didn't explain myself very well. The projector I'm talking about is for tracing artwork and enlarging photos so you can trace onto paper. I was just wondering if you had one.

Paula

Nancy Leone
09-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Paula.
Nice watering can....like the rust! Would like to sell my minis but not very good at the marketing thing....maybe someday.

scall0way
09-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Paula, I love the colors and the shading on that old watering can.

Nancy, how on earth can you work so tiny and create such lovely images! It gives me a headache to even *think* about trying to creat anything recognizable in a 1.75x2.75 format - yet yours are so detailed.

I can understand the "not very good at the marketing" think bit, though. I wouldn't even have a clue how to start! I was the little girl who could not even sell Girl Scout cookies. :)

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Sooz. That can looks so much better IRL. The colors aren't that blue and it looks much more realistic.

I'm sorry. I didn't explain myself very well. The projector I'm talking about is for tracing artwork and enlarging photos so you can trace onto paper. I was just wondering if you had one.

Paula

Just dropping by to see all the lovely sketches this week. Those minis are wonderful and Paula's watering can is very believable.

I bought one of those projectors last year and have yet to use it - I did buy it on Ebay at half the price of a new one. One thing to be careful of if you buy on Ebay, make sure the lens is well protected when it is shipped. No lens, no picture, period.

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2005, 12:48 PM
What pencil sharpener are you all talking about. I have one I am somewhat satisfied with, but I used it on my oil pastel pencils and it's not sharp anymore! Need to get one for the soft pastel pencils.

Paula Ford
09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
http://jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0057113000000

There you go Kat
P.S. Thanks for the info on the projector Kat

Paula Ford
09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey Kat, You wouldn't want to sell it, would you?

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
I might - as I have not used it in a year, I probably won't. Let me think on it.

LOL - the pencil sharpener is the one I've got. It does a good job - just don't use it for both oil pastel and soft pastel pencils. I would imagine having one for both would be best.

I think Jerry's usually has these on sale during their Art of Carolinas show.

Karen Margulis
09-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi all! Great efforts so far this week! I really want to try some minis too. I found some nice little frames at Big Lots for 99 cents now I need to paint something tiny!
Here's my efforts for this week. I just got back from a beach trip so I am in 'beach mode' this week.

Karen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/53551-art.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/53551-art_004.jpg

E-J
09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Paula, the sight of your pastels has got me dribbling over my keyboard! And what a beautiful landscape. It's funny, no matter how long I spend gazing at my Richard McDaniel book, his talent just doesn't seem to rub off on me :D

You have really captured the shine on that pitcher, Debbie. Very nice work.

Nancy, your miniatures are dead cute, and so TINY :eek: Incredible!

Now on to Karen's landscapes ... They have such a lovely soft quality, and I like the chunky, unfussy strokes you've used. Those greens and purples are luminous.

I'm going to post a sketch which took me over an hour (tut tut). My mother-in-law and I set ourselves a '90-minute challenge' this evening, the idea being simply to stop making excuses and get down to some painting! We are now going to e-mail or picture-message the results to each other :)

This is 15x11" on grey Tints paper from one of my holiday photos of the Great Barrier Reef. Really I just wanted to play with my colours!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/13865-90min_challenge.jpg

Paula Ford
09-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Oh Karen, Your landscapes are beautiful!! WOW really beautiful. That second one is my favorite...it sure would look great on my desk so I could stare at it all day :D

E-J, You are so sweet...thank you! So nice to see you here again and with such a fabulous painting! LOVE the perspective on this! Lucsious colors! Such depth...wonderful!

I brought my pastel pencils and sketch pad with me to work today. So, here is the result, taken from the RIL (oh crud, I forgot who took the photo...thank you to the photagrapher).

Was telling my husband how I monitored my stress level and mood all morning, then sat down and did this sketch. I couldn't believe what a difference it made in my mood after I got done. Amazing. It was like I was euphoric!

BTW, about 4"x4", 45 minutes

Nancy Leone
09-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Paula,
Did you forget the sketch at work? It seems to be missing. Am I responsible for the sketching at work idea? Will your boss hate me? Seriously, I believe that a little sketching at work keeps me happier and aren't happy workers better workers ;) ? Keeping it small (I believe) is less messy and not distracting.
Edit: I think your sketch is here...it's just my computer that won't show it to me!

EJ,
Good to see you. Great depth. I've been enjoying using brighter color of late. All summer it was sand....got tired of beige.

Karen,
They're gorgeous. Wish my beach scenes were so soft and luminious!

Kat and Debbie,
The minis are fun. I start with Schminkes and finish with pastel pencils to blend.

Paula Ford
09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
...Am I responsible for the sketching at work idea? Will your boss hate me?...

Hi Nancy,

I believe you ARE responsible for the idea!!! Thank you so much. It has made my life a lot easier to manage while at work. Nope, my boss is away right now :D If he were here, he'd probably want to watch!

Paula

Khadres
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Paula has one of those kinky type bosses that like to watch???? Oh. The sketching...okay, guess that's alright... Most bosses I ever had would have a fit if they even THOUGHT you were focusing on anything but work....even if you had nothing else to do at the moment. I remember a two week stint as a receptionist at a company where NOBODY ever came in! Could not play games on the puter, could not read, couldn't do anything but sharpen pencils, stack tablets, dust desktops, water plants and "look busy" 8 hrs a day....closest I ever came to losing my MIND!!! You couldn't PAY me enough to do that again! If I could've sketched, I'd have been happy as a clam, but not with a camera trained on the front desk every minute.

scall0way
09-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow, what great pictures are getting posted this week. Karen, I love your beach scenes, and E-J, that Great Barrier Reef picture is a wonderful scene. Paula, nice pot. I might have seen that same one when I was looking over the RIL the other day. Nicely rounded looking. Maybe I'll have to start sketching at work. :)

Khadres
09-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Wonderful work from Nancy, E-J, and Karen! All are so imaginative and love the colors! Wish I could go to an ocean sometime for some inspiration...I love the sea shore!

khourianya
09-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Wow - gorgeous sketches this week! I just had to pop in and say hi! I am hoping to have a sketch or two by tomorrow night...I've been sketching in ink more lately and haven't really had my pastels out to sketch.

Nancy Leone
09-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Alright! I've started a revolution. Paula and Debbie joining the ranks of sketching at work!

Paula, I can see your pot now, nice work.

Sooz, Glad you only had to do 2 weeks under the cameras eye as a receptionist.

Cori, My guess is pen sketches would be accepted here....am I right? There are always more pens at work than pastels.

Paula Ford
09-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Cori, My guess is pen sketches would be accepted here....am I right? There are always more pens at work than pastels.

Oh Yes! I'd love to see some of your ink sketches Cori!

Thank you Nancy :)

khourianya
09-23-2005, 03:53 PM
ohhhh..yay - I will scan them when I get home....

khourianya
09-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay - some selections from my moleskine. Most of them took around 10-15 mins. All of them are done with my Staedler pigment liners that I love so much...

One thing I noticed when I set a goal of keeping a sketchbook, was that if I made myself sketch in pencil, i just wouldn't do it. as soon as i started sketching in ink and carrying a really small sketchbook - I am always sketching.

A portion of the giant sculptures that grace the entrance of my work (one day i want to paint a big painting of these)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/47843-cbesculptures.jpg

A chair in the library and the planters at Olympic Plaza
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/47843-chairplaza.jpg

The magnetic sculpture I keep on my desk at work
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/47843-magneticsculpture.jpg

Girl studying at the library
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/47843-studylibrary.jpg

Khadres
09-24-2005, 02:11 PM
These are great sketches, Cori! Odd you should mention the pencil vs. ink thing! I never enjoyed drawing with a pencil either! Used to keep a stash of Flair black ink pens for that purpose. Not sure what the difference is, but I've just never been taken with graphite, I guess. All my old plein air sketchbooks are filled with black ink sketches.

khourianya
09-24-2005, 02:21 PM
I think a couple of reasons I don't really take with pencil are a) the smudge factor - I can't keep them from smudging all over the place. and b) the erasability will keep me frittering with a sketch for a long long time. With the ink - i just get it down and move on to the next thing. When I went to St. Catharines this spring, i discovered that I had forgotten my pencils at my friend's loft in Toronto and only had my pigment liners in my bag. I pulled them out and started sketching the waterfront. It was so freeing that I haven't gone back to struggling with pencils. I have some coloured fine liners I may start packing too, so I can add some colour to my sketchbook while I'm on the go - but i don't know. Right now I really like the spontenaeity of my sketchbook being all black and white (whell, off-white - the moleskine sketchbook has sort of creamy coloured pages)

Khadres
09-24-2005, 02:31 PM
I like that warm white color myself, not sure why, but I do. You might also consider getting yourself a smallish set of Neocolor crayons...not sure of the exact name, too lazy to go look right now, but you can color in your sketches and then just take a brush with water to them to wind up with ink and color wash sketches. Could be fun!

khourianya
09-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I have some of the Mungyo ones like those...a set of 36, though, so not really portable to keep in my bag. Oh - I do have some nice Staedler w/c pencils though..they would work too......hmmmm. we may be onto something here... :D

Nancy Leone
09-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Nice sketches, Cori! I too prefer ink to pencil.