PDA

View Full Version : Back among the softies

E-J
09-19-2005, 12:01 PM
I've been gone so long!! :eek:

This is my first soft pastel in 4 months and my first visit to WetCanvas in almost 3 months, so this is my 'comeback' picture ... I did it from a beautiful image posted to the Reference Library and it's 16x15" on the smooth side of blue Tints paper, done using a variety of soft and hard pastels: Unison, Nupastel and my one (white) Schminke.

I've missed this place and have so much of your work to try to catch up on. The good news is that I hope to be pastelling every day for a little while, as I have some time on my hands these next couple of months! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2005/13865-puss.jpg

Lots of love,
E-J

PeggyB
09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Absolutely lovely. I like how you've captured the almost transparency of the cat's ear. I've seen that on my cats when the sun is shining directly at them.

Peggy

Dark_Shades
09-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Lovely Job EJ - Ive did the same one too some months ago.......... good to see you back in the fold and pastelling again......... so this means we get to expect quite a few more from you shortly then :)

LorraineG
09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Beautifull job, I can almost hear him purring.

Welcome back to the softies. Look forward to seeing more. :)

Nori
09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Wow E-J, this is simply enchanting. I really love everything but am drawn to the beautiful skin tones in the ear facing the viewer as well as the perfect cat eyes.

I would love it if you could talk about how you manage fur.

John B
09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
This is a wonderful painting E-J, good to see you back

john

Merethe T
09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Really, really solid work!! Me too love the transparancy of the ear, and perfect fascinating eyes - but also - absolutely lovely colors in the fur. Wonderful!!

SweetBabyJ
09-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh, EJ- he's GREAT! I could reach out and smooth his fur- he even LOOKS warm to touch! Excellent job- and hope you get really fulfilled this next few weeks while painting.

Deborah Secor
09-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi E-J!! So glad to have you back with us!! (hugs)

I love this guy--the eye is what does it for me. So liquid and alive. Love the paw, too. Makes me want to reach out and tickle it...

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work soon!! :D

Deborah

Terry Wynn
09-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi, E-J,

You came back with a bang! WOW!

I hope to see many more softies of yours! This is such an eye-catcher!

Terry

decoratorgirl
09-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

tURBOCAT
09-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Very handsome and beautifully done!! Cheers on this one!

Jonnie

Nicoclaus
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Looks wonderful :)

K Taylor-Green
09-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Oh, super job, EJ! We've missed you, and now you are back with this lovely work!

meowmeow
09-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Wow! What a way to return....of cours now we will expect some pretty super stuff from you to keep up with this. YOu did a super job!
Nice to see you again!

Sandy

Orchidacea
09-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Simply glorious! Apparently the layoff did you no harm!

Paula Ford
09-19-2005, 10:04 PM
E-J,

It's is so WONDERFUL to see you!!! This kitty is just gorgeous!!! Welcome back!

Paula

soap
09-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Gorgeous! Nice to see you here. I've been away too but dare to enter this forum without having touched my pastels in a long, long time....Great work!

E-J
09-20-2005, 04:50 AM
What a welcome!! Thanks everyone. Nice comments and hugs all gratefully received :)

Nori, I have developed my 'technique' for fur by muddling my way through several animal portraits. I start from an underdrawing with the darkest areas blocked in using black, and I work dark to light and hard to soft. I normally try to put in a variety of mid-tones in expressive, even exaggerated, colours which will show through the later, paler layers. I was impatient this time and didn't do so much of that.

When I've used my nice soft Unisons to put in the lighter areas, I then go back over them with darker tints of Nupastel or another hard pastel. Blending them into the paler tints using feathery strokes or fingertips creates a sort of smudgey look which is great for a soft fluffy fur effect. This is the only time I deliberately work dark over light and I find if you use too dark a colour over a very pale one (eg. black over white!) you will just end up with mud. I also wouldn't use it all over the animal, just here and there for a fluffy effect.

Hope I've described that clearly!

Kathryn Wilson
09-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Hey, E-J, you are back! Glad to see you again - and with this wonderful work. I love the ear - you can almost see right through it. Keep up the good work!

Rose Baggs
09-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Gorgeous Kitty, nicely done. Love the eyes and the pose. Welcome back!!!

Nori
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Many thanks for the wonderful explanation E-J. I love cats and think they are perfect subjects for a painting but the fur always fur-ightened me. I see from your description, learning to do fur is a lot like learning to do landscapes and implying swaths of foliage without drawing every single leaf.

BTW, best of luck with your show!

Kristrotter
09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
I saw your name under the thread and I had to check it out....WOW! It is beautiful. I love the cat's expression and how he's looking upward. :clap:

Great to see you're back and I look forward to seeing more. :D

Mikki Petersen
09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
E-J! Welcome back! You have been missed. I love this painting and it just says E-J all over. Looking forward to seeing more of your paintings in the days to come.

Mikki