PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 19 Thru 25

K Taylor-Green
09-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Happy Monday, everyone! Welcome to our weekly chat thread! Here is where we exchange news about the daily happenings in our lives, our families, kids, jobs, and pets.

I took my mother-in-law dress shopping on Saturday. Our big Army Reunion weekend is coming up, and we usually do this together.
We hit Columbus in the afternoon. I bought 2 dresses, saw my daughter, held my grandson, went to Blick's where I bought 2 huge sheets of Wallis paper,
had dinner at Bravo's(my favorite Italian place), and we shared a really good bottle of white wine. All in all, a very satisfying day!

What's going on with all of you?

PeggyB
09-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi Kate

Newbie Peggy here. Hey! I used to live in Dayton when my husband of almost 40 years was in the AF. We were there twice for a total of 11 years. Ohio is a good place to live. I visited my old neighborhood a year ago, and my former neighbor and I went up to Columbus to see the Chuhule glass exhibit that was installed at the Nature Conservatory. It was marvelous!

I guess I should "introduce" more of my family to everyone. Husband, three grown married children, two grandchildren and two more on the way next spring. I also have two golden retrievers and two Ragdoll cats - yes, "Ragdoll" is a breed of cat for those of you who don't already know that - so named for their laid back "floppy" purrsonalities & also known as the "golden retriever" of cats so how could I resist them since I've had at least one golden since I was 2 years old!

I've had a couple adult life jobs other than art. I've worked for the Singer Co way back when it was a company that really new about sewing and sewing machines - learned a lot about that industry. After moving to Issaquah Washington, I worked in an art gallery where we also did framing for 14 years until my legs gave out - literally. The owners are also artists, and it was a good place to learn more about the art world and industry too. However, my true inspiration has come through my volunteerism. I've been an active art volunteer for almost 40 years - both in Ohio and here. I've also taught children's art classes (now only beading for an after school program), and adult classes in calligraphy and pastel through many different venues including a community college. I no longer teach calligraphy nor do I do it because the pressure of the pen to paper on a hard surface makes my finger ache (isn't age a bummer?). I work my pastels on a special foam padded surface.

One of the things that attracted me to WC was that I know several of the people who come here. I'm going to pass on the website address to others I think might be interested.

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about me so I'll end this now. I plan on trying the weekly sketching challenge. A finished painting in an hour will be good discipline, and fun! I've taken a bit of a break from the studio and this should be just what I need to get back to it.

:wave: Peggy

khourianya
09-19-2005, 12:03 PM
We spent the weekend in Lacombe, at my parent's house. Dad and I spent Saturday evening building a gorgeous new pastel box for my studio (and to take to workshops). It is huge (18 X 24) and has 9 sections so I can separate my colours. I am working at finishing it now, but I posted some unfinished pictures in the VPON paintout thread for Sunday's paintout (in case you all want to see). I am trying hard to be patient and finish it properly before filling it with all those yummy colours. Waiting for stain and varathane to dry is almost agonizing. Good thing I have to work or I would go stircrazy touching it every 5 mins to see if it was dry yet. :D I still need to add a handle and d-rings for a shoulder strap, but it should eb ready to fill by tomorrow night, if I can get those things added tonight.

I am also working on a little pochade-like box to keep in the car. I am thinking I will have a new thread started soon with pictures of all of my new pastel boxes. Perhaps I will even have another article to write.

Okay - back tot he vist=it at my parents house...it was all pretty laid back. We got there Friday night and attended the social at my dad's locksmithing convention in Red Deer. Dad has had some of the same suppliers for the past 25 years, so there were alot of people who remembered me from when I was little and sitting on the floor in dad's shop taking apart locks, rekeying them and putting them back together when I was 7. I didn't remember most of them, but I am sure I knew them at one time.

Saturday, Cam and I went into Red Deer to buy all of the supplies for me and dad to work with that night. When we got back to the house, Kayden was there so I got to fawn over him like only a good aunt can! :D He is getting so big...and I was surprised that he came right to me like he knew I was his auntie. He's only seen me a very few times and the last time was in April or May. It's hard to believe he will already be one in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I was dumb and didn't get my camera out so I have no photos. I will need to make up for that at Thanksgiving when we have his birthday party.

Saturday night, dad and I were busy in the wood working shop (I am trying to convince him to sell his store and go into business making art boxes and supplies. He would be so good at it. I guess we'll see.)

Sunday, we went out for brunch and droveout to Sylvan Lake to see my brother's house that he is building. It's a cute little place not far from the lake. Hopefully the weather will be nice this week so they can get the shingles on and the house can stop taking on water everytime it rains.

This week will hopefully be quieter than last week was. I felt so rushed and busy all last week and I would love a chance to relax a bit (and to get excited about the possibility of painting the fall colours this weekend!)

K Taylor-Green
09-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Welcome Peggy! :wave: I've been hearing good things about you, and just know you will be an asset to our forum!
I just love it when I connect with members who know something about the corner of the world that I live in. Course, I know more about Columbus than Dayton or Cincinnati. I have a daughter who lives there. I had to learn my way around when she went off to Ohio State for college. If I were to move off the farm and to a city, it would be Columbus.
I saw the Chuhule exhibit when it was in Dayton. It was wonderful, though I find some of his work surreal.
Seems we have more in common, as I teach children, too! Two days a week, in two different venues. I find it very rewarding.

Cori, hon, just reading about your weekend made me tired! How's the Abner monster anyway? Raven has been behaving himself for monthes now. Probably waiting for cooler, wetter weather, when chasing him down will be more fun for him, and more hassle for me! :eek:

khourianya
09-19-2005, 12:47 PM
lol - hey, if I wasn't busy, I'd surely be bored. Luckuilly we don't go like that every weekend though, or I would burn out.

Ahhhh. Abner Monster...That is a good name for him. He has decided that I am now a serious chew toy and that I need scolding. He will sit beside Cam and just bark and bark at me. He has also nipped me pretty good a couple of times in the last week and I have the bruises to show for it. I went out on the weekend and bought him a new ultrasonic bark stopper like the first one we had (it worked great until it fell off the shelf it was on in the laundry room). The second one we got was a collar one that had an audible sound that we think he would bark specifically to set it off, because it bugged us more than it affected him. This new one is a tabletop model again and it has a button on top of iot so we can activate it if we need to. I am also sad to say I bought him a muzzle. He is getting too big to still be biting me. He's close to 75 pounds now (gosh I hope he stops growing soon) and I can barely move him on my own. He needs to know that if he bites, he gets the muzzle put on for 20 mins. He hates it so maybe he will learn faster (and hopefully he doesn't go the other way and bite to kill to make it worth the muzzle time). I am going to the library today to see what they have for dog training videos because he is now at the stage where he has forgotten most everything we taught him and we need to get him back on track. He's really good with kids. Doesn't bite them at all (so I am relieved at that) but he thinks adults are to chew on and I don't want that.

ok..that was a bit of a desperate ramble...I'm just at my wits end. Somedays I think kids would be easier than this pup is.

Oh - and welcome to our dusty corner of the internet, Peggy. I think we must have cross posted earlier.

Muffin_4377
09-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Well I'm back from vacation....actually been back since last Monday, but you know how it is when you leave 2 men in charge of the house for a few weeks... :mad: :mad: Arghhhhh.

My trip was really lovely and relaxin'. My parents new place is awesome, big beautiful house, beautiful land with a beautiful view. They soooo deserve it :) . I did a couple paintings/sketches while I was there, but left them for Mom. Even managed to pick up a Stanrite Portable easel down there, probably paid more then I should have, but it is something I'll get tons of use out of.

I also met up with one of our WC members, Brian Warner. Had a great day in Vernon with him and his lovely wife.

My hubby came down early to surprise me, actually funny story. He showed up at just before midnight on tuesday (wasn't expecting him till Friday evening), we were all already in bed. He called the house and my mom answered but she was still in La La land. Hubby said "Surprise, I'm here" MoM mumbled "Srry wrong number" and hung up the phone. So he didnt bother to call back, just pulled into the drive way and slept in the truck. I woke up to him ringing the door bell at 6am, yaaaa nice surprise. Then I heard what had transpired the night before. Poor guy. Then Mom got up and we told her what she had done. She had no recollection of it, and she felt awful...so hubby teased her all day, Oh how freezing it was....how the dog wouldn't even share his dog house.....How she was really trying to put him in his place. Too cute.

As much as I didn't want to come home, hubby made the trip home worth it by taking us up through the Rockies on HWY 93. What an amazing drive. The weather wasn't the greatest, it was cloudy and rainy, probably missed alot of great views, but I did get alot of "mountains in the mist" kinda pics. Really beautiful. Maybe I'll post some, if y'all would like to see them.

Now that I'm back, I'm no longer watching my brothers kids during the week. My time now can be devoted to my art. YEEEHAWWW! That is once I get this house in order, arghhh. On a "Poor me" note.....My little one started preschool, I'm all happy for her, sad for me over this......*sigh Where does the time go?

Well I hope everyone is doing well. I sure missed WC on my trip (no computer @ parents house :crying: ) but now I have all kinds of wonderful paintings to check out in the SP studio :D.

HI AND WELCOME Peggy!!

Deborah Secor
09-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi gang... Hey, Peggy, glad to see you join us! Everyone who doesn't know Peggy should recognize her name from IAPS! How long did you volunteer for them, Peggy? Anyway, you can just come and 'volunteer' here now! LOL Send more people to us... we love new friends here!

My hubby got home from Houston late Saturday night. I'm just so glad to have him home! He's been picking up trash all week--fun, huh? He was at a church that had been set up as a center where the evacuees could get checks, but they hadn't had anyone to take care of the housekeeping in over two weeks, so our gang did the toilets, the garbage, the scrubbing and mopping, as well as handing out water and granola bars to people who stood in line for 4 to 8 hours in blistering heat and high humidity (well, high for the NM folks, where we're accustomed to maybe 17% on a bad day.) They all came home knowing they served well, though not anything glamorous. Hubby has a HUGE yellow and purple bruise on the back of his shoulder, which he was totally unaware of having. I guess when you're busy you just don't notice as much, but I would've been using a LOT of ibuprofen if I had that thing...

Cori, dogs aren't any worse than kids, trust me, but they compete! LOL You're right-on with your bark collar and muzzle. He needs to learn now, obviously. I bet in a few months he'll be snoozing at your feet, a well-behaved sweetie. :)

Hi again Dania! Welcome back... Wow, time to paint, now that the little one is in preschool! I just wrote an article about mom's who are artists, and everyone said they loved being both. We treasure time with our kids, but we also need time to paint. It feeds a different part of the soul, you know?

Kate, new dresses and dinner out. You know how to live! LOL

I'm off to plan a class. This week I start three classes, on Tuesday (drawing), Thursday (advanced pastels), and Saturday (beginner pastels), so I'm gonna be one busy lady. Don't want to get bored, as Cori points out...

See ya!
Deborah

PeggyB
09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
You all make me feel like a lazy bones! I spent the weekend playing on WC - a newbies complaint I'm sure....

Deborah - we've known each other for how many years :confused: even though we live in opposite ends of the country! I guess technically I'm still an IAPS volunteer even though no longer the Chairman of Competitions of which I did seven of the eight exhibition competitions and two of the five catalogue cover competitions. I'm still an elected board member, but fortunately for me that's pretty much a "no work" type of position - just looks good on the resume - LOL. It was good of you not to mention my volunteerism in the regional pastel societies... that was another 10 years worth prior to IAPS :eek:

Cori I too have a puppy. Sonny Sam is almost 5 months old, but "only" 47 pounds. We've finally gotten him to be content with giving us licks on our arms (no face Kisses please!) He's still teething so he's a constant chewer, but we've supplied him with lots of toys (although he decided at one point that the leather on the edge of the sofa was better! Fortunately, it is a sofa that needs to be replaced anyway!) . His adoptive sister, seven year old Libby thinks he's just great, and he has added an lot of enjoyment to her life as they do all the doggie games that she so loved doing with her well loved 6 month older brother Sam. Unfortunately, Sam had multiple health problems including grand mal epilepsy, and we had to have him put down last Nov. He hadn't been able to play those games for a very long time. I thought Libby would be happy as an "only", but I was wrong. She began chewing her feet and licking off her fur! She and Sonny are asleep at my feet right now, but that won't last long... So I wish you well with your training video Cori. A well behaved dog is a delight to be with (and Libby is a very good example of well behaved. My husband will be working on Sonny in an organized training class when he's 6 months old. In the meantime, he's being "home schooled".) Oh yah, Deborah you may be happy to know that Sonny got his name when my husband returned from church one Sunday and said the name came to him there! Strangely enough I'd been thinking of the same name - only spelled SUnny because of his pupsonality...

Now I'm off to exercise class. Gotta get into good condition so I can be well enough by next summer so we can go to Great Britain for our 40th anniversary. Bob was born there, and still has distant relatives in England. He also has about a zillion frequent flyer miles so we can use those so long as Delta doesn't go away competely... My plan "A" is to go ahead of him and spend some time in various places painting, and then we'll do a full tour of GB and Ireland. I went to Tuscany last fall for 10 days to paint and then Bob met me in Rome for anothe week. The time went way too fast! At least in GB the language won't be quite as much a problem. Anyone have some ideas on great places to paint and visit while there?

Peggy

khourianya
09-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Our lil abner is about 10 months old now...half bassett, half chocolate lab...a definite mix of the two, behaviourwise. We are fortunate that he is sweet with kids. The people we got him from used to send the puppies to daycare with their children everyday so the pup is really good with kids. Unfortunately this chewing thing is a bassett thing and is supposed to last for 2 years. He's a smart dog, though, so we are hoping we can train some of it out of him. He isn't that high energy, so most of the time, he is sleeping at our feet. Once we can get him trained properly, he will be a real good ol boy.

I went tot he library at noon to find videos, but they appear to be out at the moment. I guess everyone is trying to train their puppies this month!

I am so antsy today...I just want to go home and work on my pastel boxes. I don't think I am gonna get too much painting done this week until they are all done!

Ok - now for great places to paint in England. I visited there 3 years ago and when I go back, i plan to have my painting gear in tow to visit several places.
1) Stratford-Upon-Avon: so beautiful. My favorite place in all of England. Skip the Shakespeare kitsch if you've been there before and just head to the river to paint all of that beauty. Barges on the canal, the bridges, the greenery. Oh - and pop into the antique market while you're there just because it is so darn neat!

2) Stonehenge: Seems like a stereotyped place to paint, but I can see it being a great place to work on drawing from life. All of thos eangles and perspective...and the people there are so busy listening to the walking tour that they are unlikely to notice if you take up a spot on the grass and set to work.

3) London - another given, but it is such a great old city with beautiful english gardens and fountains and archetecture!!!

Oh you are just making me want to stow away in your suitcase. It's not that far for me to drive to where you live, Peggy. Probably only 14-15 hours.....

Trilby
09-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Peggy, thanks for letting us get to know you better. Kate what a fun day you described. Cori, patience! those pastels aren't going anywhere you know. Sounds like it's gonna be a really nice home for them. Cori, have you tried bitter apple? It's a foul tasting liquid that you get from the pharmacist, when the dog bites, spray it on his mouth. Also can spray it on the spot he most often bites and when he bites he won't like it.Deborah, how happy to have hubby home, very satisfying job he accomplished.Muffin, that's a cute story on your mom LOL, she'll never live it down I expect.
A surprise rain has moved in here, my daily driver car was dead as could be this morning when I tried to drive off to the vet for a wellness check and vacinations for Foxy, so off we went in the van trailing the jeep which I can't seem to unhitch. Foxy got a clean bill and a friend will come over to see about my vehicles.

Yesterday I went to the county fair to see it and to pick up my paintings. Nice little fair. I especially enjoyed the kid's art and the 4 H booth. I entered a drawing and actually won--a nice book on our area with beautiful photos and interesting information. It made a fun day followed by dinner where I encountered an old friend I've not seen in way too long, had a great quesadilla with guacalmole with leftovers to be tonights din din.
A good week of painting to all.
TJ

Khadres
09-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Don't forget the Yorkshire Dales, Peggy (welcome to the forum!), and the little villages all over the place with their little country church spires and tiny front gardens abloom with flowers! I'd also thought what a great series of paintings could be done of just English doorways and ROOFTOPS! Oohhhh, the rooftops! Sighhhhhhhhhh...

scall0way
09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm enjoying everyone's stories this week! And welcome to Peggy. You sound like a fabulous addition, and I hope I can learn from you as I'm an utter newbie when it comes to pastels, only been doing them really for about 6-7 months now so still have *everything* to learn. I start a new art class at the art museum tomorrow though, called Drawing Inside and Out. Never can have too many drawing lessons!

This weekend we celebrated my niece's 15th birthday, and my son's 27th (her birthday was Saturday, his is today). They are the youngest and oldest of the six "cousins" that my 2 sisters and I have have produced. We went to a Turkish restaurant and the food was great. I got to see my grandpuppy too as I drove into New York City to pick up son and his wife and the grandpuppy to bring them to NJ for the party - and grandpuppy got to visit with the two doggies cousins (or should that be doggie aunties? LOL) at my house.

I gave my niece a quilt I made for her. It took a long time. I used to quilt all the time, but now I spend so much time online I hardly ever do it anymore, but here's what I made for her.

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Debbie, that is beautiful! I'll bet she just loved it!

CM Neidhofer
09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
OMG....wanting desparately to start my next butterfly painting. Working on a piece to submit to the Palette Peeps eZine for the October issue, and now the Pastel Riot! Working overnights, have out of state company coming in next week, for a week a or so, and so much painting to do!! I need six of me and 48 hours in a day, and no sleep required!!! HELP!!! lol :eek: :eek: And what am I doing??? Hanging out here!! :rolleyes:

Christine

meowmeow
09-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Welcome Peggy. It's always nice to have new people scumbling and it's good to know a bit about each other.

SOunds like you have your hands full, Cori...or Abner has his mouth full I should say.

Dania, sounds like a good trip and that was a hoot about your hubby!

I'm glad you hubby is home safe and sound, Deborah. It's wonderful he was able to go and help out.

Debbie, your quilt is lovely. What a wonderful gift!

I am getting ready to go up to Maine tomorrow. I will be there thorugh Oct. 2 while I take care of my grandson. DAughter and her hubby will be in Minnesota visitng his relatives. From the schedule I have been given it seems like I will be "football mom" when I am there...lots of after school football practices and then a game on Sunday. My husband will be there some of the time but not all. I hope I can get some of my art buddies up there to come sit with me during these practices! Maybe we can sketch little kids running around in padding and helmets! :D
I am hoping to be able to get some good fall painting in but I'm not sure how much time I will actually have....I'll just have to squeeze some time in between taking my grandson to school, picking him up and practice. Our house is too far for him to walk to school but I know I will be more comfortable there than at their house.
Oh...and did I mention that I get to dog sit as well! :D Their golden retriever will be with us as well. Along with my dog and cat. Should be a rip roaring time! :D Ah! We'll have fun!

Have a good week, all!

Sandy

PeggyB
09-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Thank you Cori and Sooz for the good tips on where to paint in GB. I really want to get to Yorkshire every since my Mom gave me the James Herriot photography book of the area -many years ago I might add... Scotland and Ireland are also on my wish list... hmmmm might have to take a year's vacation? :cool:

Cori - Abner sounds absolutely adorable! I'm trying to picture what a bassett/lab mix looks like and am coming up with some really crazy mind pictures! Gary Greene, a past president of the Colored Pencil Society lives in this area, and has bassetts. The city of Woodinville (where he lives) has an annual bassett hound parade day where they dress up the dogs and they all take a stroll down the main street, then end up with dog games and treats for everyone. Very cute and everyone seems to like it. TJ is right, most dogs don't like bitter apple, and we can get it from the vets in our area if you can't find it at the pharmacy. All my daughter has to do is tell her very exurbant 5 year old golden that she is going to get the spray if he doesn't drop that towel right now, and he usually drops it, and he definately drops it when she points it at him!

Debbie your quilt is beautiful. My daughter-in-law is a quilter, but not to the degree of expertise this quilt shows. She could use some lessons (in her "spare" time?) I agree that there is never enough drawing to learn. Living in NJ, I know of several very good pastel artists in your state, but I don't know if they are in your area. If you'd like some names just let me know.

Oh Sandy - Maine is another state on my must see list. I have to say I sometimes miss the days of driving little football players to practice and games. I must admit I had tears in my eyes the day my youngest son played his last high school game. Now mind you I didn't cry the day he and his twin sis went to kindergarten, but I felt there was something very final and life changing that last game - my not so little boy wouldn't really need me much anymore - now he's the daddy of two with one on the way! :)

Time to paint! Peggy

khourianya
09-20-2005, 06:22 PM
He looks like a short black lab with floppy ears and slightly droopy eyes. I have posted a ton of photos here, but darnnit if I can't find a link for you right now. If I remember, I'll post one later. I did do a painting of him on the VPON critter nightso I suppose you could always hunt down that thread (it's probably on page 2 or 3 of Pastel Talk)

khourianya
09-20-2005, 09:58 PM
ok - me again. This time bearing photos.

I just finished my cigar box pochade-like box that I will keep in my car...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2005/47843-cigarbox_finish.jpg

I'm working on an article to cover this one. I will probably finish writing this week sometime (maybe even tomorrow if i have time)

and, just for Peggy (and whoever else wants to see), this one is Abner...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2005/47843-abnerbighillsprings.jpg

now I am off to watch my shows. Season premiere week!

Khadres
09-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Looks great, Cori! I kept thinking not enough pastels, but looking at it, I can't really see anything that's missing. Maybe a couple light yellows, but that's about it. Amazing what you can fit in a small space, eh?

khourianya
09-20-2005, 11:12 PM
and even those are there (about half way up, right along the left hand edge) My favorite part of the whole box is that i have room for a double edged colourshaper tool, my white charcoal pencil and my kneaded eraser in that little section along the side.

It is amazing how few you really need. As i was looking at the cases I took camping a couple of weeks ago, I ended up thinking about the pastels I really use when i am out there and managed to narrow it down to this little 8 X 8 box.

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Boy, it seems like forever since I've been able to visit with everyone in here. Trying to catch up this late in the thread is almost impossible, so all I'm going to do is say "hey" to everybody.

A warm welcome to Peggy! Glad to have you on the Pastel Forum - we love new members, so send more! BTW, my hubbie is from Dayton (born and raised) and still has family there, so we visit every so often.

We had a great 4-day vacation up in the mountains of NC and eastern TN, western VA. We did lots of antiquing Sandy - but the main thing I want to share is that I HAVE MY OWN CAMERA NOW! Got it for my birthday and just love it - a Canon Powershot A510. I took some great photos while we were gone, including a reference shot for a plein air that I did of an old mill.

We visited the NC Museum of Transporation to get some old train flavor to the trip; did a Friday night Classic Car Cruise-In with the Cruiser; went gem mining and came home with emeralds, an opal and a silver Topaz. The emeralds are nothing to speak of, the opal will be made into a ring, as well as the Topaz. If you've never done gem mining, try it some time - playing in the water and getting dirty!

Still working on my Bryce Canyon painting - had a few bad days with it, but feeling better about it now.

Watching that horrid hurricane and praying for everyone in Texas -

meowmeow
09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Looks like a terrific trip, Kat. And good for you with the camera...you'll have a ball with it.
Antiquing...yay! I haven't really done any for a while. Did you get anything good or just poke around?

Well, I am up here in Maine with 2 dogs and a cat...and will be picking my grandson up later and have supper with him and a friend of mine.
I think if I am not careful the dogs will drive me crazy. :D They only want me to go out and play ball with them...well I did...but now I am done and they are not. Oh well.

Nice weather here....I can't believe the weather in the south. What a year!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
09-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Great photos, Kat. I've never done gem mining, though I have wanted to for a long time. I collect faceted gems, and sometimes set them myself. I used to go to rock and mineral shows. You can buy faceted gems for next to nothing. I bought a beautiful, 2 caret, Swiss Blue Topaz for $6.00. The vendor had them in dishes, just setting out.
Let me know the next time you are coming to Dayton. We'll get together. I can drive to Dayton in about 45 minutes.

Well, my big weekend is coming up. We leave in the morning for 4 days in Columbus, not very far away, but we are hosting this year's Army Reunion, and we have to be there for set up of registration, answer questions, welcome guests, all that. After the stress of putting it together, I just want it over! Of course, losing my father-in-law just a month before kind of took the heart out of it. But I'm determined to have a good time if it kills me! If my mother-in-law can pull it together, I surely can.

khourianya
09-22-2005, 01:46 AM
I think I need to go pastel shopping....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/47843-largeboxfilled.jpg

I loaded this box with everything I had in my old box and then some. I have a piece of every colour I own in there and it looks positively barren. I wonder when those new GA hard pastels are gonna be released...I have room for them now...plenty of room :D

khourianya
09-23-2005, 01:23 AM
This week is just flying by!!!! I can't believe tomorrow is already Friday!

For those of you who might be interested, we have a VPON paintout tomorrow night. It's anything goes...just a friday night paint & chat! Feel free to join us!!!

Trilby
09-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Happy vacationing and reunioning everyone. I seem to have gotten steadilly busyer without planning to, so have gotten behind on the threads and the scumble, but keep up with the updates that come in my Email. Cori, that is one fine box, as is the pochade. Good designing. Kat, you've got to finish the Bryce Canyon. It's too beautiful to lanquish.
I spent 18 hours and have about 4 left and then can claim a perfectly organized, functional master bath with a home for every object in there. After two years, the two big boxes and numerous plastic bags of stuff from my Mom's home after she passed away are finally unpacked and stowed. I even got the sink I thought would have to be replaced to shine. Next is the master bedroom. I'm working my way back to the room that is to become my studio. Sunday someone is coming to mow my 4 acres which will be a tremendous relief as the grasses are 4 feet tall--but there are grasses this year instead of tumble weeds.
I am finisHing a new painting I've wanted to do for 6 months. It's turned out pretty exciting. I'll post it in the studio.
Have a fantastic week all, Pray for those in Rita's pathway.
TJ

khourianya
09-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I just heard back fromthe plein air mods - the article on the pochade should be posted sometime today!!! Yay!!!

Khadres
09-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Good for you, Cori! Too cool!

Artistammy
09-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I've been playing catch-up this week. It's a wonder what a 5 day trip can do to your schedule! I've got a new commission of a black lab. I took photos of it & am ready to put it on paper. Need to get the kitty I started off the easel....it's almost finished.
Hubby got me a new computer on sale before our trip. I've been installing programs etc. My son's supposed to move the extra hard drive to transfer my data. I hate this set-up part but I think the computer's going to be alot better.
The trip to AZ was fun. We saw the Titan missile sight, San Xaiver Mission, an outlet mall, amusement park, VLR, Saguaro National Park, etc. I photographed quite a few churches & gates.
This week I'm in charge of my grandmother in the nursing home as my mother went on a trip. So, it will be another hectic week. Sometimes I think there's not any other kind. lol
Tammy

Trilby
09-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Tammy, what a nice vacation. It will have prepared you to keep on handling those hectic weeks. Next time you are in Tucson contact me, that's just 90 minutes away, which in this neck of the woods isn't far at all.
We'll look for your black lab commission on the boards.
TJ

Artistammy
09-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I'd love to see you & I'm sure we'll be going back someday. Which direction from Tucson (We went to Pheonix too.)? I started to ask in WC if anyone lived around there but we had so much to do this time I decided it wouldn't fit.
Tammy

ponting
09-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Well here we are checking in from the WC Gathering. Arrived home last night after a wonderful trip through the Cascades. Did the touristy thing so it was great. Although my husband was not anxious to mingle with a lot of “strange” artists, he did enjoy the trip and meet my class. And here they are…Ta Dah!!...…the three intrepid pastellists who against all odds managed to gather for a class and in one fell swoop, master the textures of pears, orange peel, glass, lace, wood, shadows and blending of backgrounds. On the left is Dixie (DRT) …(who bears a striking resemblance to her mom Kathryn) and who has been on board with this venture since the beginning and on the left and middle are Katherine and Connie, good friends and hopefully soon-to-be WCers!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2005/34523-WC-trio3.jpg

Thanks for arranging the visit Pam otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten to meet any of the group. Loved seeing the pics and what I missed. Best laid plans oft times go astray …..or is it husbands that lead them away? Take care and thanks so much for all of the effort you put into this event.

Cheers, Dianna

Trilby
09-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Tammy, I'm south along the Mexican border. I have cousins living in Phoenix area. Phoenix is equidistant between Piper in Northern Az and me in Sourhtern Az.

Dianna beautiful work by beautiful students. Sounds like you girls had way too much fun.
TJ

ponting
09-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Yes TJ...we did have a great time. Now see, I had to get out my atlas so I could picture you on the map....Sierra Vista right? I see it right there!! :D

Cheers, Dianna

khourianya
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
ohhh, Dianna - those paintings by your students are luscious!!!!