PDA

View Full Version : The kiss

Lazink
09-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I am working on a picture inspired by Rodin's sctupure, "the Kiss" I've tired to keep this loose. Please tell me what you think. I have use ultramarine blue, burnt siena, yellow oche. The 12x16 140 pound cold press, Cranson. I have included the reference photo. The photo is from a website.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2005/57900-DSC00006-1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2005/57900-the_Kiss.jpg

artmom
09-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Nicely done. However, be careful posting photographs from someone else's website--it may be a copyright violation.

Lyn

Lazink
09-19-2005, 06:09 AM
I don't think posting a photo is a copyright violation. The actual file size of this photo is very small. It was from a Rodin musem webpage. I'd say a copyright violation is selling or somehow profiting from the photo.

laudesan
09-19-2005, 06:21 AM
I am pretty sure Lyn is right. The Photo is copyright to the museum, and you have to ask their permission before saving it to your hard drive and pasting it here.

I think your painting is lovely nice and loose.. I was just looking at some of Rodin's sculptures on the web last night. Also Claudel's.. Amazing stuff..

I went to the a couple of Art Galleries in London, was saw some awesome sculptures, took heaps of neat photos'..:)

painterbear
09-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum Larry. Your adaptation of Rodin's sculpture is very interesting and a clever use of a reference.

I like your background and the figures, but the shape to the right of the woman's bottom is a little confusing. I see that the shape to the left is her leg, but his legs also are to the left of the figures, not to the right if that is what the shape is intended to be. Maybe making it another color other than flesh would make it read as a bench or something.

We have a whole Image Library here for use by our Members as references for paintings if you would like to take a look there for future paintings. The photographers who post their photos there give us permission to use them without fear of violating copyright. That can't be said of every Website with photos, so it is better to be safe and ask permission before using one you see on those sites.

Sylvia

Rich
09-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I agree with the discussion on the Copyright issue. I have first hand experience. If in doubt....don't. You probably need permission.

ale.l
09-22-2005, 06:37 AM
You could have given us a link to the picture :)

That is not a violation, right.
I find some copyright aspects VERY SILLY.

laudesan
09-22-2005, 06:41 AM
You could have given us a link to the picture :)

That is not a violation, right.
I find some copyright aspects VERY SILLY.

You wouldn't if you were selling your work for Thousands of Dollars and somebody copied it and sold it for say, Fifty Dollars.. ;)

EDIT..

These Copyright Laws are here to protect everybody..

ale.l
09-22-2005, 06:54 AM
JJ I meant more cases like posting a photo like it was done here.

I agree that what you said is a different issue. And agree that it has its purpose but sometimes it's just a pain in the neck. That's why I said
"some aspects" of it.

painterbear
09-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Your suggestion of providing a link to the original photo, Ale, would definitely have been a very good way to go. That way, the original Website would get the traffic and the issue of copyright wouldn't have been raised.

I agree with JJ that the copyright laws are there to protect the artist or performer or writer of a work. Try putting yourself in the position of one who has had your work "stolen" by someone else for their use. It is kind of like a neighbor who needs a tool for a project he is working on or an ingrediant for a recipe and just walks in your front door and takes it without asking you first.

Sylvia

laudesan
09-22-2005, 07:12 AM
JJ I meant more cases like posting a photo like it was done here.

I agree that what you said is a different issue. And agree that it has its purpose but sometimes it's just a pain in the neck. That's why I said
"some aspects" of it.

Ale I know what you mean..:) The thing is tho' that copying the photo onto our hard drive, (which is what we have to do to paste it here) is stealing IF we don't get the owners permission first..

I see Sylvia has mentioned that.. :)

Yes a link to the originators website IS the way to go. They deserve the traffic, and the recognition for having this photo on their site.

I would have liked to know which Museum it is in actually..

Lazink
09-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Thank you for your comments. I feel copyright laws are violated when something is sold. not posted or passed around for someone to see. This photo is not for sale and neither is the painting. I don't think I've violated anything by posting is for someone to see.

painterbear
09-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Sorry, Larry, but selling something is not the only way to infringe on someone's copyright. You should go to the Legal Forum here on Wet Canvas where there have been many discussions on copyright issues to be on safe ground.

Sylvia

laudesan
09-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Sorry, Larry, but selling something is not the only way to infringe on someone's copyright. You should go to the Legal Forum here on Wet Canvas where there have been many discussions on copyright issues to be on safe ground.

Sylvia I totally agree. Larry we are not ganging up on you, but you really are wrong in your assumptions..

You could ask in the Legal Corner (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=79) and I am confident they will tell you what we have been saying..

I was looking at the threads there, and I see there is an online class one can take for Copyright Laws (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295571).

This is their Blurb.. INTRODUCTION TO COPYRIGHT LAWS

One of the hottest topics on the Internet today is Copyright Law. Big business now controls the World Wide Web, and corporate lawyers and webmasters are jealously guarding every word and graphic on their web sites. In this brave new world, a minor mistake could land you in legal hot water, and "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

This course is a must for writers, editors, webmasters, educators, and others who want to learn Copyright basics. The primary focus is on copyright in the United States but worldwide treaties also will be discussed. Insightful weekly lessons dispel many popular myths and examine modern copyright law which has been substantially revised in recent years. The course also explores how the law is evolving to catch up with Internet technology. This workshop was created for VU by writer/editor and network administrator Richard Dean who has 20 years' experience building virtual communities.

Curriculum: Five week course, peer-mentored. No textbook required. No prerequisites.

REGISTER FOR THIS CLASS (http://vu.org/cgi-bin/add.pl)

Redwine
09-23-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm only going to comment on your painting, hope you don't mind.

The colors you used for the skin tones are great. Things seem to get a little weak in the faces. If it were mine I would think putting in some dark areas to hint at facial features would be nice. The mans head seems to almost completly dissapear into the background. There are some proportions that are a bit off here and there, but I'm not going to pick it apart. I think that getting those nice fresh "watercolory" flesh tones is challenge, but you did it nicely. Keep up the good work, and keep posting.

Heather

Lazink
09-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I darkened the background but the photo I took doesn't really show it very well. It worked though, It really brought the figures to the forefront. Here is the tread in the gallery where I posted the completed picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296266