PDA

View Full Version : Jack Russell

TFB
09-18-2005, 04:47 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2005/51975-dorothy.jpg

Hi every one,

This is a 20 x 22 cm pastel on deep grey Le Carte paper. I really wanted this grey colour, so used the La Carte. Havn't worked out how to tint my Wallis paper yet. We don't have Createx paint in Australia, any advice on this welcome. Would acrylics do, or would they seal/overlay the tooth? thought I would post this to show that I do other 4 legged animals, not just horses! I do more commissions of Jack Russells than any other breed. Would be interested to know if other artists are commissioned to paint more of a particular breed. I took this photo with my new Canon S2 IS at dusk inside and with no flash and on automatic...I am impressed!

TFB

RCrook
09-18-2005, 05:57 AM
This is really good, I like how the dog is pushed out of the page from the background and the softness and realism achieved with pastel.

Dark_Shades
09-18-2005, 06:22 AM
What a Fantastically Beautiful Picture..... well no wonder you get commissioned to do particular breeds when they see what you do...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hope you find out how to post this into the Animal Forum, they will go mad over it

*Deirdre*
09-18-2005, 06:58 AM
What a Fantastically Beautiful Picture..... well no wonder you get commissioned to do particular breeds when they see what you do...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hope you find out how to post this into the Animal Forum, they will go mad over it
I'll second that! WoW! as for tinting Wallis...do you mean underpainting? As far as I know...you can use any paint...but from personal experience...don't use thick paint! :evil: A thin wash of acrylic or even watercolour should suffice!

johndill01
09-18-2005, 07:30 AM
I really like this one. Great job.

You can tone wallis paper using just about any medium. Watercolor can be used, stain the paper with a layer of pastel of your color choice, and then brush out the pastel. Also can use the pastels to create the initial stain and then blend it in using a small wad of paper towel. This tones or stains the background, but leaves the tooth open for the normal amount of layers.

John

Kathryn Wilson
09-18-2005, 08:07 AM
I moved your thread over to the soft pastel forum - glad to help any time - :)

You can also do an underpainting with pastels by using rubbing alcohol to dissolve the pastels into the paper.

Another tip I learned at a pastel meeting yesterday - to tone paper, use your little bits of pastels or pastel dust and crush them onto the paper, then using Lasceaux Tatour, spray or use a brush to dissolve the pastels onto your support. It is amazing that when used, the pastels will not rub off the paper again - it is truly fixed.

But aren't JRT's the best dogs! I have an 8 year old who thinks he is still a puppy.

Kathryn Wilson
09-18-2005, 08:47 AM
I am going to try to merge the two threads together - another little Moderator miracle, if I can pull it off :)

John B
09-18-2005, 08:57 AM
This is spectacular; you caught the full character of the dog. A beautiful painting

Cheers

John

SweetBabyJ
09-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Well done- he's a lovely creature.

Khadres
09-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Wow, that little dog is almost vibrating with energy and intent expression. Wonderfully done!

As others have said, you can color Wallis with pastels themselves washed onto the surface with either alcohol or odorless thinner...or you can even use oil paint thinned way out with thinner. Watercolor's probably the simplest method...createx is just concentrated transparent watercolor...tho any watercolor will do. Whatever way you choose to do it, it would be a great way for you to use all those greys they send in pastel sets! :D

This is also why I love the Belgian Mist Wallis....it's a warmer brownish grey, but it's a nice starting point.

CM Neidhofer
09-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Waiting for him to jump into my lap! Love JRT's! Excellent, excellent work! :clap:

Christine

Trilby
09-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Never mind being impressed with your camera, I'm impressed with your painting, such life, such energy, such perfection. Of course, you get commissions for these. He's just a wonderful little fellow and you've captured such personality and life likeness. Great work.
TJ

PeggyB
09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
You have most certainly captured the intensity of the breed! My sister has a JRT & she's a perfect country dog - I'm a golden retriever person. Everything about this painting is a winner in my opinion. Even the lettering on the dog's collar looks right.

You've already gotten good advise on toning the Wallis paper. I don't often use it because I prefer an Aussie product, Art Spectrum. Too often the Wallis paper has production problems, and I can't be bothered with sending it back. To paraphrase a nursery rhyme, "When it is good it is very very good. When it is bad it is horrid"... When I want to paint, I don't want frustration from the paper I'm using. I have a friend who does a lot of animal portrait commissions, and her favorite surface is the Le Carte because it is easy for her to depict the fur with that paper. I can see you have the same result with it.

Peggy

SMARA
09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
You have soooo captured the intensity of the Jack Russells. The muscle definition on the head is just spot on. Absolutely love it.
Aletta

Doris Baggett
09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
:clap: Someday I hope to be able to illustrate my critters so well. This little man looks as if he's spotted a lizard or bug on the window! His intent expression is captured so well-you did a grand job on him.

Orchidacea
09-21-2005, 06:53 AM
This portrait just vibrates with JRT energy...and yet it's also soft and sensitive. It's wonderful.

chewie
09-22-2005, 10:24 AM
i agree with all above! this little looks like he's seconds from pouncing on some unsuspecting thing! wonderful job, love the lively grey background.

also agree with the spectrum paper--wallis eats my pastels so fast, too! the spectrum paper is great. and less expensive too, and has that nifty border to use in framing. the aussies hit a good one there! funny, the other day i seen a video from an aussie, doing a demo. instead of pronouncing it pasTEL, they say PASTel. just fun to hear a new version.

Mike_Beeman
09-22-2005, 01:36 PM
This is an excellent portrait of a Jack Russell...love the intense look! I tried a few dog portraits a few years ago but never seemed to do one breed more than the other...

Simon Bland
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Really impressive work.

Simon

LarrySeiler
09-23-2005, 03:59 AM
lovely lovely lovely.....

Larry

dexonsbabe
09-23-2005, 11:06 AM
WOW WOW WOW think that says it all :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TFB
09-24-2005, 01:51 AM
Apologies for double posting! I thought I lost my first attempt.
TFB

TFB
09-24-2005, 02:01 AM
Hi,

I havn't had time to go on Wet Canvas recently, and am amazed to see I have 20 replies! Thanks everyone.

My favourite paper is La Carte, I like the feel/softness to the pastel touch. Funnily enough I do not like Art Spectrum, I find it too hard to the touch, but will have to try it again. I like Pastel Fine Art paper which is similar, also sanded, and with a border like Art Spectrum, and you can get it in black. I have only done one picture on Wallis paper, and I also found it grabs the pastel VERY quickly. I brushed off the first layer with a soft brush (which helped me control that grabbyness!) which made an underpainting and tinted the paper. Will post this picture (last posted about a month ago).

I am enjoying the new Canon S2 1S camera, the 12 x zoom is awesome. It is very user friendly. I hope to post some photos in the library soon.

TFB http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/51975-mother_and_daughters_1_1.jpg

ponting
09-29-2005, 08:31 PM
See what you miss when you go away. tsk tsk. These are absolutely wonderful T....I especially love the JR.
How great at last to find another La Carte fan :D I'm so impressed with the background on the horses and curious about its size.

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

prestonsega
09-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Superb work!

Grasshopper
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Good lord you're good! You need to do a nice slow wip for us to watch. Really.

Terry Wynn
09-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi, TFB,

I love the JRT! But I think the horse trio is beautiful also. Looking forward to seeing more.

Terry

TFB
10-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi,

Been away again! Dianna the horse trio is 24 x 34 cm, about the smallest I can go with this.
Grasshopper, I will try the slow WIP. I am dying to do a pastel of cliveas and dutch iris that are flowering in my garden at the moment, but lack time. I usually do them from life with bleach and sugar in the water for preservation. I think I would have to do photos for reference. Otherwise, I won't be doing pastels for a while....I have some oil commissions to do. One of them a reclining lady on a sofa with 7 jack russels! Composition wise, can only fit 5 in, so, I will have to see if she is willing to cull 2.

TFB

ponting
10-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi,

Been away again! Dianna the horse trio is 24 x 34 cm, about the smallest I can go with this.
But that is only about 13 or 14 " :eek: I am truly amazed now!!!

Cheers, Dianna :D

E-J
10-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Such rich, delicate colour in your JRT portrait. Wonderful!

To achieve this much control and detail, do you make a lot of use of harder pastels? Looks like you've used a nice soft brand for the palest fur.

Art Spectrum is my favourite pastel surface. Tinting it with gouache seems to work well. You can dilute it enough so that it doesn't fill the tooth and because it's matte, the pastel goes over it very easily.

TFB
10-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Hi,

I used mainly Rembrandts with a little Shminke towards the end. I am a bit wary about using Shminke as a while back my framer had a lot of problems with dropping off on La Carte. Not sure whether it was a bad batch of La Carte, or I used too much Shminke which is very soft or the fact that i don't like fixative. Any way, I ended up experimenting with different papers (had a couple of disasters on velour...dropping off...mainly the shminke). Have now got some Wallis. I still really like La Carte and recently, I, or the framer, have had no problems with it.
Thanks for the info on tinting with gouache....will try it on my white Wallis paper.

Rose Baggs
10-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Oh...Wow...how did I miss that? Wonderful painting!!!

Nicoclaus
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
This is spectacular; you caught the full character of the dog. A beautiful painting

Cheers

John

I agree 100% :) :clap:

TFB
10-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Thanks everyone...I have to deliver the JRT picture to the dog's owners soon. I always dread this 'unveiling" bit!
Cheers,
TFB

ctmobitz
10-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Just so AWESOME.....i can not say anything more.....It is super !!!

Claude