PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I be the Christmas Tree

Obedec
09-17-2005, 11:18 PM
A new scratchboard, done on ampersand black (5x7). I bought some new irridescent watercolors from Daniel Smith. This guy changes colors when it moves....The title is because it's going to be my Christmas Card! On the inside, Why Can't I be the Christmas Tree, and on the back, Well If I can't be the tree, can I be the Star! It was from the bad hair pictures in the wc library and I just did it for fun and to play with the new watercolors. Oh yes, I then re-scratched the picture to get my details back.
Karen H

quirky
09-18-2005, 05:16 AM
This is WONDERFUL. It made me cackle!

myorca
09-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice job Karen!!! I am no longer in a fowl mood!! :)

Pars
09-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Great looking fowl!

Would love to hear how you like the DS irridescents. You make them look very desirable. :D

Do you think they have a wide enough application to add them to my stock?

Obedec
09-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks Bob and Wendy!
Thanks Zoe, I think they're a great asset to any set of WCs....my thought, and I chose the colors to match it, were for water (sparkling) and slick coated animals, and metallics like in vehicles...it will add the extra ooomph. There's one color that is just spectacular, Artic fire, which is a blue/green. There is another that I used on this picture that adds no color, just the sparkles. I'd recommend getting a sample kit and playing. I know I'll be playing with them more...next, maybe a black horse or I have a rose that needs to be finished.
Karen

Pars
09-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Karen, thank's so much for your response. I noticed DS is having a "sample" sale in a recent magazine. I think I'll give it a try. :D

Lovely work and I look forward to the horse!!!

Mary Woodul
09-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Fantastic work, Karen , I love the colors!

Obedec
09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks so much, I wish there was some way to show how they change as the light hits them differently.
Karen

Pars
09-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Karen, I'm not sure if it would help but you might try to upload the image with the new "uploader" - I think you can get a slightly larger and sharper image that way. I do see the glimmer, however, and can appreciate the colour.

Thanks so much, I wish there was some way to show how they change as the light hits them differently.
Karen

valchina612
09-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Karen, this is fantastic. I can just imagine how beautiful it is to see in person. Can we all come for a cuppa, so you can show us this beautiful creation? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Obedec
09-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks Pars, I'll try it.
Val, certainly you can...I'm 500 feet from the Pacific Ocean and have a spare room (thats full of "stuff").

aderfla
09-21-2005, 08:39 AM
wow, that is really awesome technically, and the image made me smile.

alfreda

Obedec
09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Thank you alfreda!
Pars, it's a matter of the way the light catches it...I have another photo, taken at a slightly different angle, that shows a totally different side...you know, there are no ART printers in the area and I keep finding these things that are difficult to print anyway, sigh. I really don't want to sell my originals, but that's what has to go up on display in order to draw the "crowds" (which I haven't seen yet).
Karen

Pars
09-21-2005, 10:11 AM
What do you mean by "art" printers? Are you trying to print out good quality prints? I just saw some fabulous prints of watercolours done by a friend in Raleigh (done at home, I believe). I could ask her how she did it if you wanted to invest in a higher quality home printer.

And how far away are you from Portland?

Obedec
09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Please do. Everyone in the little town I live in does xerox. Scratchboard copied on a copy machine shows roller marks.

Pars
09-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi again,

I talked to my friend, and she said,

"I printed most of my prints, like the one you have, on my Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printer with UltraChrome inks. That particular printer has just been discontinued, but the Epson Stylus Photo R1800 or R2400 also use UltraChrome and would be fairly comparable if not better."

You might look into this printer. My friend's work is wonderful and the work looks very professional and full colour on this printer.

Of course, I have not priced it so "buyer" beware.

:evil:

Obedec
09-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks, we'd had a discussion on a yahoo group I'm on and all I remember was that the most recommended was an Epsom and had the number 2 in it...I'm sure this is the one. It is pricey is all I know, but I may have to make the jump.
Karen

Alisa
09-25-2005, 10:24 AM
he's amazing, I think he would look splendid at the top of the tree LOL

great work!

Alisa

msue
09-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Love Daniel Smith iridescent watercolors and the interference line too. I work them into almost everything I do. Don't have that blue you referenced, but all the ones I do have are wonderful. Great scratchboard work too. You don't have a problem with the watercolor lifting?

Obedec
09-26-2005, 10:46 PM
It's the Artic Fire! I haven't had any trouble with the watercolor lifting (ususally I do the lifting when I'm adjusting the color), but that's on the ampersand boards. When I used the esdee boards, I was very light and sparse when it came to the color...I'm getting bolder as I get aged (LOL).
Karen

Drumbeat-trish
09-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Ohhhhhhh he's splendid - almost as adorable as my rooster "Rage" . And I just love your wording to go with him.

Obedec
09-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Where's Rage...I wanna see!
Karen

Drumbeat-trish
09-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Where's Rage...I wanna see!
Karen
OK -since you asked . Rage and his hen Fran
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/6194-rage.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/6194-ragefranb.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/6194-ragefranc.jpg