PDA

View Full Version : Art in the Park

johndill01
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Today was the second Art in the Park event it Fayetteville, AR. We had more than 40 artists set up to paint and display works for sale. Just a gorgeous day to be out painting. There are a number of pastel artists in the "Artists of Northwest Arkansas" group, but I was the only one using pastels today. Thought about posting in the plein air forum, but a lot of the work was not technically plein air. The first picture is one of several young student painters who will be going to France next spring to paint. I told every one that there were 40 artists and 1 painter in the group. After walking around and looking at the work being done, I for sure could not call myself an artist. :)

John

Khadres
09-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Looks like a fun show! I'm sure your painting efforts were just as good as anyone's, too!l

Trilby
09-17-2005, 11:58 PM
How delightful! 40 artists set up and painting, that's just a total delight, wish I could have attended and wandered about observing. An artist is one who has a message to convey and does it, so you are most assuredly an artist.
We have an Art In The Park in my community (first weekend in Oct) but it's an art fair with booths displaying artworks of all kinds including crafts and jewelry, wearable art paintings etc. I think I will talk to our Association who is the sponsor about setting up an artist's at work section next year.
Thanks for sharing this.
TJ

johndill01
09-18-2005, 08:26 AM
This is sponsored by the City Parks department, in conjuction with our artists group, and is used as a fund raiser for the parks. 10% of proceeds of art sales goes to the parks department for park improvements.

In addition to our group, the cancer society had a tennis tournament and a re-dedication of the childrens castle in one corner of the park. The parks department had contacted two of the local food companies and received a donation of hot dogs, so a free grilled hot dog feed was provided by the parks department. All of these activities greatly enhanced the number of visitors to an already busy park.

It would be great if other cities or towns or villages would back the same type of gathering. It also gave us a chance to get our art group a chance to get some serious exposure. One of our members, who volunteered to help, recruited at least 4 new members, just by visiting with visitors. I believe that many more artists were encouraged to at least think about joining the artists association.

For all of those in WC who are not members of a local artists association, I cannot stress enough just how important it is to become active in an association. Just being exposed to the tremendous pool of talent, in addition to the support and the quiet corrections of technique, it is even more encouraging to be able to see the tremendous work being done by others. Many of these artists paint only for their own edification and do not routinely display or sell their art. Also as our group grows, it is able to provide more workshop and juried competion events. Our next art show is scheduled for mid Nov to the first of the year. More than 130 entries from a 10 state area. In addition, one of our members has had his 3rd picture accepted into the national "Arts for the Parks" competition. Also one of his pastels has been accepted into the Pastel Society Show in New York.

Well, enough yammering from me.

Just be sure to get out and paint!!!

http://www.artistsnwarkansas.com
http://www.artsfortheparks.com

John

Khadres
09-18-2005, 12:37 PM
When I lived in Canon City, CO, we had an annual event in July called Ark on the Arkansas (river that is...only back here in CO, the Arkansas is just a little ole river tumbling through town, nothing like it is once it gets to Arkansas!). It hosted not only local, working artists both pro and amateur, but travelling art and craft booths and some local fast food vans, etc. Was a nice event (well, except for the year the wind came up and ruined about half a dozen of my canvases) and the whole family enjoyed attending it. I know they have something here called Spring Spree but I've never gotten down to see what it's all about, but I agree....these happenings are just great for getting exposure and sharing camaraderie.

Trilby
09-18-2005, 02:48 PM
John that is a very active parks dept. what an asset in your community. I second every word you wrote about the benefits of joining an art association. I don't know what I would do without the one I belong to. It has benefited my art, my sense obout myself first as an artist, but also as a human being. It has been a source of support, friendship, contacts and new experiences as well as a place to paint and learn the business end of art. The member artists are such a diverse group and have such varied experiences to share not only in art but all areas of life. A real boon in my life.

so do indeed join your local guild or association and if one doesn't exist find other artists and get one started, dig those painters and crafters out of their back bedrooms and attics and into an association.

TJ

scall0way
09-19-2005, 10:47 AM
For all of those in WC who are not members of a local artists association, I cannot stress enough just how important it is to become active in an association.

What a great idea, and what fun it would have been to see. I'm sure your work was great too. Aren't we all our own worst critics. :)

It would be fun to be part of a local artists association too. I wonder how one finds them?

johndill01
09-19-2005, 07:28 PM
I would start with an internet search for your area, checking with a local arts council or arts center. Our association works with a much larger group, in our case called the ARts Center of the Ozarks. This association is for all types of crafters and artists. They sponsor several large juried craft shows each year. A couple of these shows draw more than a 100000 visitors and 400 - 500 crafters for a three day show. Talk to any other artists in your area that you know. If there is not an association, it might be a good time to start one. As our area grows, our membership is growing, not just from people in the immediate area, but in adjoining states as well. Hope that you can find an association in your area.

Forgot one more important posssible source. Any local artist who teaches a one day workshop would probably know about any local association. That is how I found out about the local association. Signed up for a 1 day portrait workshop advertised in the local paper.

John