PDA

View Full Version : WIP....Doc revisited

tigre255
09-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi gang :wave: been awhile since I posted a painting. Been kind of busy getting my mobile grooming business off the ground, which has taking me away from wetting my brushes way to long :eek:

Now I am struggling to try and finish this painting for the owner of Doc, a ole red dog that we had around the stable. It's not a commission, will just be a gift to a dear friend from my horsey days (my forgotten life) :crying:

Well anywhoooo some of you might remember this painting from way back when I first started in watercolours. Hoping to do a way better job at it this time..... :D But am finding the lack of ambition for it. So I figure if I do a WIP just maybe I'll be pushed into finishing it........ ;)

Oh Yeah, please C&C are more than welcome. Can use all the help I can get.....LOL
So here goes, the first is my drawing with the eyes and nose started. Oh yeah
it's a 1/4 sheet of Fabriano 140lbs. UNO, W/N paints. Nose done with Payns Grey, and a mix of gold ochra and burnt sienna for eyes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/3748-doc-1.jpg

Here I started laying in some gold ochra and burnt seinna for the main body color.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/3748-doc-3.jpg

Here I started darking some of his hair and you may see some Indigo and burnt umbre mixed into the black areas of his face.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/3748-doc-4.jpg

tigre255
09-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh and here is a close up of his eyes......if you see anything wrong, please let me know.......Thanks :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/3748-doc-closeup-1.jpg

artmom
09-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Barb, been wondering where you were!

Again, this is certainly a wonderful painting! :)

Lyn

tigre255
09-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks Lyn.....LOL yeah been really busy. Dad and I have converted a box van into a grooming van which has been a major project, plus a expensive one....... :eek: But we have it finished now other than a little teaking, but have also been busy trying to get out there and fine customers......not an easy task.....

But have really missed painting, but finding it kind of hard to get back into..... :(

madmum
09-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow, Barb, nobody would ever imagine you were finding it hard!!!!!! Doc has beautiful eyes already, keep going, this will be a stunner!

So good to see you painting again, your talent shouldn't be neglected. :)

(By rights this WIP should be in the studio, but Doug's away so we'll keep quiet, eh? ;) )

Ruth

tigre255
09-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Wow, Barb, nobody would ever imagine you were finding it hard!!!!!! Doc has beautiful eyes already, keep going, this will be a stunner!

So good to see you painting again, your talent shouldn't be neglected. :)

(By rights this WIP should be in the studio, but Doug's away so we'll keep quiet, eh? ;) )

Ruth

OOPS :eek: .....see thats what happens when your away for awhile.....I did lurk some, but just forgot where to post I guess.....

Thanks for the encouraging words :) .......yes I feel rusty. And yes I just can't not do art........

Lynn Quinn
09-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Barb, this is looking great. I'll be watching, as I haven't learned to do dogs yet!

Tunek
09-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I love dogs and this is a very beautiful...I'm sticking around too see it emerge some more :clap:

painterbear
09-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Barb,

Welcome back! Doesn't look like you got too rusty after taking a break.

Your dog's eyes are wonderful as always. The fur on his face is looking terrific too.

Sylvia

tigre255
09-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Thank you Lynn for your kind words.....dogs are fun to do, give it a go.....

Thank you Tunek, yeah stick around, hope I don't dissapoint you..... ;)

:wave: Sylvia, thanks for the saying that....just wish I felt the same.....LOL It's probably going to be the background that will do me in.......LOL

tigre255
09-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Here is where I started putting in the tree behind Doc and on the background I did wet on wet with a mix of sap green and W/N yellow and at the very top part gold ochra and in the bottom the mix of SG & W/N yellow with a touch of paynes grey to darken it. Also did some teaking of Doc. Like added some highlights and darks of the same colours that were used in him.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/3748-doc-5.jpg

Then here is the finished painting where I just added darks to the tree and highlights.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/3748-doc-6.jpg
Now I'll let it sit for a few days and see if I like it and if it is ready to send to my friend.

Have attached at the bottom the original first painting did a couple of years ago and this finished one so you can see the differences.

bluegenes
09-18-2005, 09:25 AM
It's a big improvement Barb! Personally, I would have left out the tree trunk, but maybe it has special meaning to you.

Patty

lyn lynch
09-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Night and day difference, Barb. Looks fabulous. The indigo on the muzzle looks good--you get good definition on a black dog--remember you telling me about it. Good luck with the mobile business.

tigre255
09-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Thank you Patty for looking in and commenting......much appreciated.

:wave: Fookie.....GF. Thanks for the nice comment. Yeah there is a big big difference.....LOL

Ze Artiste
09-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Beautiful, Barb! Your friend should love it.

tigre255
09-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks Joyce for looking in and commenting......much appreciated....;)

Sue Galos
09-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Love the dog - not finding the tree adding to the composition - but hey - it's not mine =)

CharM
09-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi Barb! So good to see one of your pet portraits again!!! Your washey style is always a pleasure to view... I'm sorry to say that I wish you'd left out that tree trunk too... in fact, I was a little concerned that you'd have difficulty in separating Doc's colour from the tree... you certainly pulled it off just fine... his muzzle is terrific!

Rich
09-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Nice work!
I have moved this to the Studio leaving a redirect as it is a WIP.

laudesan
09-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Hey G/f. :wave:

You been away so long you don't know about the studio and workshop and gallery. Heaps of changes around here..;)

Was it Fookie said like "night and Day" The improvement is tremendous!!!!!

Wonderful painting!!

tigre255
09-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks Sue for looking in and commenting.....

Char....Hi GF... :wave: yeah probably should have left the tree out. Oh well maybe next time I do him....thanks for taking a peek and for be the sweet lady that your are.

Thanks Rich for looking in and for moving the thread. I knew of the new changes, but had a memory block when it came to posting. Sorry about that.

JJ...Hi GF......as I said to Rich ^^^^^ I know I've not been around much, but I did still lurk a bit and new about all of the changes. I guess they just didn't sink into my mind.......thats what happens when your on overload.

Tunek
09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I sure love Doc, but the tree is (IMO) a little distracting...but I like the background color! Way to go! :clap:

tigre255
09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Thank you Tunek for your kind words........yeah maybe I should have cut the tree down. To late now though, it's growing strong.....hehhehee

painterbear
09-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Barb,

World of difference between the two portraits. I really like the color on Doc in this one. I'm sure your friend is going to like it a lot.

Don't forget to post this in the Thumbnail Gallery now that it is finished.

Sylvia

tigre255
09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh I didn't forget.....LOL at least I remember something......thanks for looking in and commenting. Means alot to me.......