PDA

View Full Version : Are galeria acrylic paints any good

junipaire
09-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Hi I'm after doing abstract paintings using acrylic paints and just wondered what paints I should be buying, I want good quality paints. not starter kit but probably not the highest quality on the market, the best intermediate ones I guess.

I live in the UK so if you could tell me where to get a good deal it would be most appreciated.

Thanks Phil

Piratess
09-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Hello Phil,

Acrylic paints are great for abstrat work - they're just great, period. ;-)
Winsor & Newton's Galeria Acrylics are good, as are Liquitex Basics. But IMHO, Golden
Acrylics are the best and the price is comparable to W&N and Liquitex. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

bullyluvver
09-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Well I certainly hope so - I've just bought some to start me off, lol! Seriously now, they are a good quality student grade that you could gradually replace with professional grade as you go along. That's what I hope to do anyway.

Gail

Lady Carol
09-17-2005, 08:57 AM
As Gail said Galeria are good quality student grade paints. I started with them and was very happy with the way they performed. I am however, in the process of changing them out to Finity, which although more expensive, have better pigment density and are thicker straight out of the tube. Once I found Finity, I liked them better. For all intents and purposes, Galeria would do the job well for you.

LarrySeiler
09-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I began with Chromacryl Atelier professional artists colors. I switched to Galeria about ten-fifteen years ago or so...their 200ml plastic flip top jars are convenient, yes prices attractive.

I earned what reputation I had in the state of Wisconsin, using them to win my Wisconsin Inland Trout stamp competition (for example), many commissions etc; I have acrylic pieces in that genre that are quite pricey, varnished when finished...and have no bones about Galeria being inferior to any others. I don't say that to brag..(in fact, I paint mostly plein air landscapes now), but for you to consider that if someone of reputation (not a student) would use them....well?

Its all in the hands of the one that uses them...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/532-trout_stamp.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/532-mallards.jpg

let's just say...they're good enough for me, for what that's worth.

Larry

JanB
09-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Larry...I don't get to see much of your past wildlife stuff! For the genre these are wonderful, I can see why you had so much success.. And you are right it's not so much the paint as the painter that makes a great painting. That said there are some inferior student brands that just don't perform and make it that much harder but galeria isn't one of them as you have so eloquently shown. :clap:

bullyluvver
09-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks Larry! That's made me feel a whole lot more confident that I made a good choice! Nice pictures BTW.

Gail

LarrySeiler
09-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Hey Larry...I don't get to see much of your past wildlife stuff! For the genre these are wonderful, I can see why you had so much success.. And you are right it's not so much the paint as the painter that makes a great painting. That said there are some inferior student brands that just don't perform and make it that much harder but galeria isn't one of them as you have so eloquently shown. :clap:

thanks Jan...
there's been those self-doubting times earlier in my plein air work when having my old wildlife pieces around were like having a baby's worn out binky for comfort and security. "See...I can, er...could, um REALLY umm...paint, once...er, I mean if I wanted to! Yep...yep siree sir!"

glad it will help Gail...

As for a more professional acrylic, I did really like the Atelier professional brand...and initially found the Liquitex and others harder to use. The Atelier seemed more concentrated in pigment color and yet didn't seem to dry as fast. Thing is...they were pleasing to the eye taking the cover off the tubes and looking at them...and yet, see no difference in the final output of the work which in the end is what counts.

good luck...

Larry

Helen Zapata
09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
When I decided to go back into acrylics again after about a 15 year hiatus, I bought Golden since everyone seemed to like it so much. It's okay, but I don't find myself swooning over them. I bought a bottle of Galeria in black because I wanted a LOT of it for painting the sides of gallery wrapped canvas. I was expecting it to be pretty bad, but was happy to find that I really liked the flow and the density of the color.

When I ran low on Golden, I was going to buy more in Galeria, but couldn't find all the colors I wanted. So I picked up some Rembrant acrylics.. ooo.. they are VERY nice!

But NOW, I've finally decided to take up the advice of a friend of mine. He's a professional landscape artist in acrylics, and he has been telling me for the past 6 months to go to www.novacolorpaint.com and get my paints from them. Nova Colors are professional grade acrylics, but the prices will floor you. Because I have some huge orders for paintings coming in now, I finally went there on Wednesday and went a little crazy! They have a great selection of colors, and the prices are outstanding! I can't wait to get them! Woohoo!

Helen