PDA

View Full Version : pastel farmhouse

nevbogus
09-17-2005, 03:45 AM
as a break from my bold coloured paintings i was asked to try some pastel shades instead. here is the first effort. 16 x 20 canvas. as always i would appreciate any feedback, positive or not :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/19537-art_001.jpg

Gillette
09-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi Nev
I often look but don't always feel qualified to comment, but from now on I'll try a bit harder, also as my PC isn't too fast I tend to appreciate those pics posted through the uploader, saves time.
Now as for yours, I like it a lot, the colours are very attractive and the Tuscan landscape is great.It's unusual, and very eyecatching.
Jane.

Bertoni
09-17-2005, 06:02 AM
A wonderful look to it!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Just wonder if the red isn't a bit too deep on the lower left? It kind of stops my eye from moving on to the rest of the painting.

Nitsa
09-17-2005, 07:35 AM
I agree with Bertoni but I think if the red went up to the curve and met the gold it would lead the eye to the rooftops then the horizontal curve would take you through the rest of the piece.
Hope that makes sense!
Not sure about the 3 trees to the right but that's just my personal taste, I like the repetitiveness that the two trees offer.

The colours really work and I like this piece alot, it "feels" pleasant, calming, inviting and warm.

3chaway9
09-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Nev,
like Jane i'm not qualified to crit. anyones painting...but i do know i like this...
the style and the colour.

Lady Carol
09-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi Dean: the top half works really well for me. I like the way the sky changes from blue to a pinky colour. I am just not sure about the fields in the lower half, although I do like the trees lower right. I think the oval field bothers me and I find my eye to be very much stuck in the lower part rather than viewing the whole. You should ask yourself what is the focal point? Is it the villa or the lower fields? And de-emphasize one.

Incidentally, I am a big fan of your style.

JanB
09-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Clean colors, nice little Tuscan houses. I too agree about the foreground red being much too intense/dark..it definitley competes with the houses, which being the only manmade structures in the landscape automatically become the center of interest. One other point, the top of the light blue hill touches the line of the purple/gold hill. That intersection is right in the middle of the canvas and fights to be a focal point right smack in the middle of the piece, the little houses have so much happy personality my eye wants to get to them but gets hung up there. One suggestion would be to just drop the height of the blue hill, giving the feeling of rolling hills and allowing the eye to easily travel to the houses. A couple of little fixes and I think you'll have a VERY nice piece!!

Leslie Pz
09-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Wow! Very nice. The perspective is very unique!
-Les