PDA

View Full Version : Just Peachy WIP

Strawberry Wine
09-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Good Day All,

Stephies photos of roses are getting a work out this week. :) Thanks Stephie!!!

Reference Image http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/13320-stephies_peach_rose.jpg

1/2 sheet Arches using M Graham, Azo Yellow, Gamboge, Quin Rose, and Alizarin, and Napthol Red......Davinci, Cobalt blue and Purple...Holbein, Indian Yellow...W.N., Quin Gold

Initial Washes on some of the petals.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_first_stepfor_web.jpg

Adding some depth to the exisiting petals and washes on new ones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_adding_depthforweb.jpg

Creating more depth in the shadows and working my way around the rose with initial washes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_more_layers_for_web.jpg

Suggestions, comments and critiques very welcome

Cheers,

Gail

LyndaN
09-16-2005, 04:24 PM
This is awesome -thanks for doing it and I will keep watching so I can learn something!

Strawberry Wine
09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
This is awesome -thanks for doing it and I will keep watching so I can learn something!

Thank you Lynda and Welcome to the Water Colour forum.

Here is where I ended up today. My eyes are becoming crossed :)

Questions or feedback always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_building_more_depthfor_web.jpg

Cheers,

Gail

painterbear
09-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Bravo Gail, your peach color mix is right on target to match the beautiful color of the rose in the photo. I love what you've done so far. Moving the pictures up the screen was almost like watching an old-fashioned movie unfurl before my eyes.

I'm in for the whole she-bang!

Sylvia

Granny R
09-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Watching your progress , doing great you are. Roses are so hard, but well worth the effort.
Ruth

jaydiva
09-16-2005, 05:37 PM
A beautiful ref image!! But what you've done so far is even better. Great colour variations.
Looking like a winner already, Gail!!

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

my new fineart website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

Celeste McCall
09-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Gail, your work is coming alive. You've had a big breakthrough this past year. :) :) :) :) :) WOW!!! This almost looks like a Char. :)

Mega clappies and smilies.

jolynnmorse
09-16-2005, 06:11 PM
wow...really like your blue highlights, will really look great....can't wait to see the finish.

Strawberry Wine
09-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Sylvia, thank you, aren't Stephie's photos a pleasure to work from. :)

Ruth, I have not seen you here in ages and so glad you popped in to this thread.

Jutta, thank you, not sure yet, if I can do Stephie's photo justice but I am happy so far.

Celeste; thank you so much!!! You've had a big breakthrough this past year. WOW!!! This almost looks like a Char. That is a huge compliment.

Will carry on tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gail

Becky-Bob
09-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Really well done.....so you work petal to petal rather than color to color. Thats probably a better way to do it. I work color by color and...well, I just don't have wonderful results like this. :)

laudesan
09-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Gail this is definitely coming along beautifully.

IMHO............I would keep the background soft and muted. You don't need to show the branches and leaves, just lovely soft colours..

Strawberry Wine
09-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Becky, thanks for stopping in.

At the Ontario Meet, Char explained her method for her succesful floral paintings. She paints each petal as if it were a mini painting. Since I have adopted that approach, my florals have been much more sucessful.

I also use Sandy's method of priming each petal with clear water first and letting it dry and then re wetting and let the water soak in before adding the next glaze of colour. I have painted this rose quite wet into wet.

Just remember to let each petal dry completely (hair dryer works great ) before adding the next glaze of colour. Alternate the petals, so that you leave a petal between the one you have just worked on so that there will be no bleeeding of colour where you don;t want it to go.

This method is a slow process but well worth the results. Quite often I have another painting on the go and will work on it while I wait for washes to dry.

Cheers,

Gail

rue d'oak
09-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Gail,
The touches of blue really let it pop, have shape, and the color AHHH :) Stephie's photo is an inspiration -- one you are clearly up to!
Jen

Becky-Bob
09-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Great tips. I must print this out. Thanks so much for explaining all of that. Interesting, and quite effective! :clap: :clap: Anxious to watch your progress. :)

stephie20
09-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Oh WOW Gail this is just gorgeous....I love the blue touches in it........can't wait to see more

perphaps I need to adopt this way, none of my rose paintings have worked............thanks for using my photo, it's always a great compliment....think i'll have to get the camera out to keep you all going here :)

laudesan
09-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Stephie ..... please do!!

Isn't Gail painting wonderful..

I am going to try your peachy rose myself soon..

Uschi
09-17-2005, 08:28 AM
WOW Gail, this is looking absolutely gorgeous and your approach to it is perfect. The colours are beautiful too!!! I can't see a thing, not even a tiny one, that needs improvement! BRAVO!!!!
Uschi

CharM
09-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Oh wow, oh wow!!!! Gail, this is just gorgeous already!!! Like you, I've really been enjoying Stephie's photos in the Wash and have saved several of them on my hard drive...

The only bit of advice I could possibly offer is to remember to exaggerate your lights, saving the white of the paper at some of your petal edges...

I can't wait to see where you go next with this!!!

Are you having fun? Or will you need to do a landscape asap??? :evil:

JustjoGA
09-17-2005, 08:53 AM
I was just going to say, Gail, that this one is looking like
a CharM rose :)... Obviously, I need to print your explanation
and follow the "each petal a separate mini-painting" guidelines
and see if I can get mine to have shape... Shading and
shadows seem to be my nemises ... Thanks and watching
with great interest...

Jo in Georgia

Strawberry Wine
09-17-2005, 09:05 AM
:wave: Good morning

Jen, thank you

Becky, I am finding working on the half sheet so much easier .

Stephie, your photo glows Thank you!

Uschi, I am already worrying about the background. :wink2:

Char, I am having fun !!! But also need to sketch out a landscape for the Tour next weekend. I am also wondering about the space at the top with no petal as in Stephie's ref. Should I go with that or put in another petal?

Jo, thank you for the huge compliment. I have Stpehies photo beside me and concentrate on the shadows on that petal only. That is really helping me.

Well I am off to work on this some more.

Cheers,

Gail

CharM
09-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi Gail... If I were painting this, I would love that the petals do not form a perfect elipse... It's one of the things I seek out in my florals, now... those little imperfections that make them more life-like...

However, not everyone feels that way... you certainly could add another petal there... it would really minimize your need for a background, too...

Leaving the petal out will create something of a challenge in trying to create a good *resting* spot for the eyes... it's really tricky and something I struggle with...

Whatever you decide, it will be beautiful!

painterbear
09-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Gail,

Ditto to what Char said about that area sans petal. I'm doing research on negative painting for an article I'm doing for the Handbook. I just came across something today that says negative spaces are as important to the overall composition as the positive ones. I look at that and see a wonderfully interesting negative space. :)

Some of the people in my Watercolor class have bought some sort of plastic that will take watercolors and they use that when they have a question like yours. You could lay it on top of your painting and try out a petal to see if you like it or not the best part is you don't put any paint on your picture until you decide you do. If you have a art supply store near you, you could probably get some of that film.

Sylvia

Strawberry Wine
09-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks Sylvia, I have heard of that film thing too. Next trip to Curry's I will check it out.

Cheers

Gail

Strawberry Wine
09-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Hello Everyone:

Worked on this off and on today.

The last few petals are not quite finished yet and scrubbed one that I was not happy with. But I thought I should start on the background and that should tell me where I need more darks or lifting of lights.

About 3 light washes on the background and another 3 or 4 to go. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_initial_background_wshfor_web.jpg

and a close up of the center.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_close_up.jpg

Comments and critiques as always

Cheers,

Gail

Granny R
09-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh Gail, tis gorgeous!!!! The background colors really compliment the luscious rose. Don't think it needs much more. this is really outstanding.. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I was away for a bit and haven't had much time. Glad to be back, and am inspired again, just starting to work on something.
Ruth

Strawberry Wine
09-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Glad that u are back with us Ruth,
Thanks for the compliments, Glazing the next 3 or 4 layers will build the depth but not nesessarily the intensity, well maybe a wee bit.

Also, have to define the petals more on viewers right as they are now in a striaght line.

Hoping to have this almost finished for the Studio Tour next weekend. I will place it behind a matte , no time left for framing.

Cheers,

Gail

bluegenes
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Gail this is beautiful! I hope you keep some of those lost edges on the right hand petals...

Patty

CharM
09-18-2005, 09:25 AM
This is looking soooo good, Gail! You're almost finished...

If you can soften the edges of your rose where it meets the shaft of light, you can *lose* it into your background... and then, darken the upper left corner to create continuity with the bit behind the middle space...

I played in PhotoPaint...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2005/20514-13320-Just_Peachy_in_Progress_initial_background_wshfor_web.jpg

bluegenes
09-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Char, you've illustrated beatifully what I was trying to say!

Patty

Strawberry Wine
09-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Char, oooh , yes I like very much going to give that a go.

Thanks G/F!!!!

Gail

Uschi
09-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Wonderful Gail, as I knew it would be :p I too really like Char's suggestion!
Uschi

Strawberry Wine
09-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Implemented Char's suggestions. I think its finished??? Moving it to the Gallery.
Thanks to all for your feedback on this one!!! :wave:
Cheers,

Gail