PDA

View Full Version : Elme Nude

Nitsa
09-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Every time we drive to the coast we pass a grande hotel (The Elme) and I love grande anything, so I always comment that we should go in for lunch sometime so I can be nosey :evil: ....so....In the school holidays we did! I took the boys there for a meal and we sat outside in the sunshine with steak and chips...Yum!

On the grounds were various statues so I had to get some pics, I love to play with refs of statues and breathe life and colour into them.

I started this painting at Joannies but wasn't really sure where I wanted to go with it and as a result ended up going over everything I did again when I got home because I wasn't happy. :rolleyes: I'm a little happier now.

8x20" chunky canvas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/18769-ElmeNude.JPG

Late here again, so sorry about the dull image. :(
What do you think about the section of white fabric?

nevbogus
09-15-2005, 11:01 PM
what a great concept. like reverse engineering.
something looks slightly wrong with the line of the lower back but other than that, very nicely done.

Nitsa
09-16-2005, 04:42 AM
Thankyou for taking time to comment Nevbogus. I think you're right and I think it's because of the arm shadow not being strong enough which was making it look like part of her back. Very difficult working from stone to life as there are no skin tone changes, so I tend to work warm to cool using the natural sunlight.

Does the added arm shadow change things for the better?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/18769-ElmeNude.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/18769-ElmeNude2.JPG

Sorry about the glare....Thanx again! :)

k9artisan
09-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Lovely figure!
Amber

kieran
09-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Nitsa
I think it's lovely but as Newbogus said, there appears to something slightly off in the line of the lower back (maybe the right buttock "protrudes" a little too much?).
Otherwise it's really, really good :clap:
Kieran

Nitsa
09-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Thankyou Amber!

Kieran...Oooh thankyou, I have no idea why I didn't see that myself...Poor woman looks like she's had bum implants! :eek: LOL!

Ok...Any better now?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/18769-ElmeNude3.JPG

kieran
09-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Excellent. Much better :clap:
Kieran :)

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi Anita - it was the 'bum' that I noticed too - lol - "Does my bum look big in this?" would be a good title!!!!!!!!!!
Still think you could increase the size of the L buttock slightly - being nearer the viewer, it should be bigger than the R one ......... either that, or go back to the plastic surgeon and demand a refund - lol ;);)

Bertoni
09-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Anita:
Beautifully done with the bum corrections!!! I love breathing life into stone statues! You've come up with a winner of a concept!:clap: :clap: :clap:

nevbogus
09-16-2005, 09:49 AM
"Does my bum look big in this?" would be a good title!!!!!!!!!!
very funny stuff... but the perfect title.
btw the changes have fixed it up and it looks great.
on another point, it seems strange to me that this thread had over a dozen views before anybody commented on it. this seems to happen a lot. do people generally wait for the ice to be broken? are they reluctant to criticize? i cant wait for comments on my submissions and while pats on the back are always appreciated, i have learned plenty from honest criticism.
more feedback for everyone i say! :D

Leslie Pz
09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Interesting pose to the figure. Nice colors that relate well. With the bum-lift, I am sure it's going to be perfect!
-Les

Nitsa
09-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanx Kieran!

LOL!...Maureen my bum is bigger one side than the other and if I have to suffer it so will she! :p LOL!

Thanx Bertoni....I've always loved statues, probably because their surroundings are almost always so grande. I have a passion for architechture and sculpture, when we visited the Natural History Museum I spent the whole day ignoring the exhibitions the building itself with it's huge colums and amazing ceiling was enough to send my hands into a frenzy until my Son told me off because I looked odd running around touching everything. LOL!
Breathing life into stone really appeals to me on several levels, I love how I can decide whether they are warm or cool, soft or hard, blonde/brunette/red or the colours of a fairytale rainbow. It's a great learning curve too, I mean, who thought I would be a plastic surgeon today??? LOL!

Nev...Thankyou for your advice, worked a treat!
I think sometimes people look but don't feel they have enough expertise to comment constructively, other times they may feel embarassed to comment...I think many people still see critique almost as an insult and don't want to upset anyone. I welcome ALL C&C, I believe it's essential to my growth as an artist.
Luckily we are all different and each of us comes in useful at different times...Today you were useful to me and I thank you for that.
So long as someone helped this poor woman from lugging her oversized rear around - Bless her! LOL!

Thanx Les!

mrs willow
09-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Anita! This is " A neat a idea" !!! I will go to the museums and look with much more interest at the statues from now on AND also look more carefully at the street statues. Loved the description of your son's embarrassment re your behaviour in the museum.
Your painting is great. :clap: :clap: :clap: Cannot find a thing to nit about especially since the rear end alignment.
Waiting to see more of these
Cheers Sandy

Nitsa
09-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanx Sandy.

I will go to the museums and look with much more interest at the statues

It's not enough to look Sandy...You have to touch and you have to take a child with you to embarass....otherwise it's just no fun at all! :evil: LOL! ;)

mrs willow
09-17-2005, 04:18 AM
I shall remember that Anita and try it on my grandchildren!!

Joannie
09-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Just been typing for 5 mins all my thoughts and then pushed the wrong button as the 'post quick reply' box was out of view at the bottom. Trust me to get the hang of this website. Cant repeat it all - suffice to say LOVE IT - the drapery colours including the paler middle section. I ALSO LOVED THE BUM BEFORE AND AFTER - is there something wrong with me??!! my eye sight maybe.

Remind me not to have coffee with you in a posh restaurant with statues in case you embarrass this old lady too... more likey I'll not only photo it but get out my pad and scribble away in all directions letting my coffee go cold and the birds eat my croissant.
Well done but sad all the hard work at Cherry Trees was not as you wanted... but the comfort zone of being in your own work space certainly comes over with the final work. Clever old ..... you put me to shame as my red and gold blessed painting has gone completely awry... and will probably end up in the bin. The statue has ended up pure white against the dark red.

Nitsa
09-18-2005, 08:10 PM
LOL...Let me know how that goes Sandy! ;)

Joannie...Thankyou! Glad that you like the middle section of fabric too, it was just the underpainting for the orange but when I stood back I liked the break and the freshness the white brought to the painting as a whole.
Glad you like the bum too! LOL!

I can just imagine you trying to scribble me down while I caress a statue. LOL!

So sorry to hear that "blessed" has taken a turn for the worse but I have complete faith in you...You will rescue it. ;)

mrs willow
09-19-2005, 06:06 AM
I might have to wait awhile Anita! The school Hols,are on now and the Grandchildren are waiting the birth of two new foals.....they are a very "horsey familiy"....also artistic...BUT right now horses come first!!!
LoL Sandy

Nitsa
09-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I might have to wait awhile Anita!

I'm not going anywhere Sandy! ;)