PDA

View Full Version : Payment Advise

Dark_Shades
09-15-2005, 01:18 PM
.... Hi

can anyone help me, I will search the business forum too .......
someone from Canada (Im in the UK) has asked me if I would accept a Bankers Draft or a cheque (I Suppose I could always ask our Cash Dept tomorrow)
But I was wondering is it safe for me to give out my Bank Details?
Would I incur currency charges?
hmmm typing this out, I suppose I could phone my own bank lol

Paula Ford
09-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Dawn,

NEVER NEVER NEVER give our your bank details to anyone!!!

Start a Paypal account, or have them send you a money order.

Paula

khourianya
09-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Isn't a bakers draft the same as a cashier's cheque? You shouldn't need to give out your banking information (and never should). As a Canadian, that is how I am reading this. You should ask the buyer to confirm that that is what they mean. All it is is like a certified cheque, but issued in your currency by the person's bank and acts like a money order in a way.

Canadians are friendly people. If you ask them to explain what thy mean exactly, then I am sure they will happily comply for you.

meowmeow
09-15-2005, 02:22 PM
I think Cori may be right...ask them what it is. And, don't give any bank info out. If that is what they want, steer clear!
Congrats on selling whatever it was you sold!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
09-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi You Guyz, thanks....
I already have a PayPal account and list my EBay auctions with that info, but just got a question from someone asking if I would accept the other two alternative payments.... though they are just wondering if I would :) no confirmation of buying lol.... shucks!
Sorry, Cori lol, its been a long day..... yes, you are right I think, for some reason Id got it in my head a bank transfer ????? and would have to give out my bank details - doh! ...... wheres the slappy head icon lol
Well that sounds great if it could be in my own currency, rather than having to have currrency exchange rates charged ......... many thanks

LorraineG
09-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Dawn,

I had someone pay me a cheque through the post the other week in US Dollars. I took it into my bank to ask if I could pay it into my UK bank account. They said yes, they would pay it in and change it to UK currency, but they charged me £7 for doing it.

Lorraine

Bringer
09-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi,

First lets start by saying that there's always away of someone taking money from your account. Let's just imagine that the bank's manager decides to take money from your account. He can do so if he/she wants to, I suppose.

«NEVER NEVER NEVER give our your bank details to anyone!!!»

So according to Paula, one cannot buy a car unless paid in cash. Or enterprises cannot negociate except in cash ?

I don't see any problem on giving your IBAN and or SWIFT codes for international transactions. These are only data and not authorization to withdraw money from your account.

Everytime you use your credit card or an ATM machine, your card can be cloned.

If you don't want to give account details then the solution will be money transfer or western union.

Regards,

José

Paula Ford
09-15-2005, 09:24 PM
So according to Paula, one cannot buy a car unless paid in cash. Or enterprises cannot negociate except in cash ?

I assumed it was an online transaction between two individuals who don't know eachother, who are in two different countries. Would you give out your banking information if that were the case?

In regard to walking into a showroom and purchasing a car, or purchasing from a company, of course, that's different.

So sorry to have been confusing.

Paula

Bringer
09-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Paula,

When we talk about paycheck or draft, we're talking about a transaction between banks. Not between an individual and a bank.
I understand that to give our bank account data to an unknown individual is always a risk. And like I said, it's always possible for someone to take us money.
You are not at all confusing, what I intended to say was that nowadays most transactions are done electronically and our data travels the internet all around.
We just have to trust the system and live with the possibility of being defrauded, tough taking precautions to avoid it of course.

Kindest regards,

José

Deborah Secor
09-16-2005, 03:45 PM
There's been a lot of scamming around here invoving sending a cashier's check (in the USA) made out in excess of the amount of purchase, then asking you to refund a portion when you send the painting--thus getting your work and your money when the international cashier's check doesn't clear! Just be careful...

Deborah

Dark_Shades
09-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks all for your input, alot of good points raised here - thank you

I did contact my bank and they could process a bankers draft in currency, and there would be a charge (guess if it were sent, would have to be to me directly rather than give out my bank details - that would take more time in processing)

Oh well ............

(just gotta wait now and see if anything comes of it) :rolleyes:

khourianya
09-23-2005, 01:39 AM
be sure to keep us posted on how it goes....