PDA

View Full Version : Brand Recommendations - Black pastel

Shari
02-01-2001, 02:04 AM
What is the best black pastel? I am looking for the darkest black I can get. I tried Sennelier but I used up almost the entire half stick, it seems to sand off too much. Is there a rick velvety dark black out there somewhere?

Shari

djstar
02-01-2001, 02:14 AM
I use those pull down compressed charcoals for the lines but to get a DARK, I tend to use a DEEP purple or DARK blue. I can't seem to get black to be dark.
One of those "THINGS" about pastel.
I also have a hard time doing middle values and that is why I only use toned papers.
The darker the better because I seem to be able to always go lighter and there is a gap in the 8-9 value range.
Ok, that is my two-bits on it!
dj*

Roan
02-01-2001, 10:00 AM
I use several layers of different colors -- I work mostly on suedes and sanded tho.

Anyhow, first I usually use Winsor Ivory black for a lay-in, then I go over it either with Sennelier black-brown (it's really dense) or Schmincke Deep Violet B -- depending on whether I want a "warm" or "cool" tone to it -- then I go over it with Schmincke Serious Black.

The background I did for the "Casey" painting isn't as dark as you'd want (hard to do on light asparagus colored suede), but I used the same method. I agree with Debra about using darker surfaces if you want to get REALLY dark. I usually use a mid-tone as well, but I recently bought some black and dark green Art Spectrum. I'm gonna try doing some Dawson night scene studies :P

Dunno if this will help at all, but there it is :P

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Nan danadh mo lmh mar a dh'iarradh mo shil!</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">If my hand could do as my eye would desire!</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) <-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

[This message has been edited by Roan (edited February 01, 2001).]

Shari
02-01-2001, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I blew it because I sprayed fixative over my picture at one point. When I tried to go over the black I had done, it didn't take but all I had was sennelier. This is a scene of a sunset with skies orange from fire burning in the distance. I wish I had a digital camera or a scanner, I could show you. Anyway, the photo I am working from shows the hills thickly black against the fiery skyline and I was trying to capture that.

Shari

Ohju
02-05-2001, 10:06 PM
Shari,
For a workable fixative I use Krylon Workable Fixatif 1306, for the final I use Grumbacher Tuffilm Final Fixative. Both don't yellow and they work best for me. Hope this helps you. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif