PDA

View Full Version : Another varnish question

impetuous
01-15-2002, 05:49 AM
I have a piece of work that I really want to keep (for myself, forever ...the first piece of my work that I have actually felt like this about!) the trouble is it's a mixed media piece, Acrylic and India Ink on canvas, topped off with a good layer of oil pastel.
I haven't used OP before, and even after 4 months or so, they are still smudgable (don't know if they are meant to dry or not) so I worry about trying to clean dust etc. from it (not that I'm saying I have a dusty and messy house:D) I don't want to put it behind glass either ...I just don't think that it would be the same. So I was wondering about using a varnish, so that the surface could be dusted off safely.
I've read timelady's thread about varnish, and the matt acrylic fixative sounds like a good idea (I think that I'd prefer to keep the matt look that it has) would that type of varnish also suit Oil Pastel? or would you recommenhd something else?
Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions that you might have.
Bec:)

VictoriaS
01-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Hi, Bec. Oil pastels will never dry. For that reason, I suspect that you should not varnish it, but frame it under glass. You could frame without glass and just be careful that it doesn't get touched or rubbed against, but the wax in the oil pastels will attract dust. I know it's not the same under glass, but... Anyway, somebody will come along who knows better than I do.

Victoria

impetuous
01-16-2002, 04:27 PM
thank you victoria.
the varnish on the oil pastel was my main concern for that very reason, i had these terrible visions of adding the varnish and then watching the whole thing drip to the floor in a big messy pool or something.
i think that i may well have to opt for the glass option ...even though i don't want to :( but at least the picture underneath would be safe!:)
thanks again,
bec

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 03:14 PM
Hi impetuous :)
I have done several searches and came up with the same thing each time.
Frame it under glass without a fixative.
Which is what you already figured out :)

If I run across anything else I will let you know.

mame
02-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Professionaly framed under glass with spacers so glass does not touch the work and carefully backed to keep airtight - unless you're a pro framer yourself!