PDA

View Full Version : Soft and Hard Pastels

amanda
01-15-2002, 04:27 AM
Up until recently I was under the impression that there were two types of non oil pastels - soft and hard. When I went to enquire about getting a few good quality hard pastels the art shop told me that there was no such thing and hardness or softness is due only to the quality (the softer the better quality). My problem is that I have been using cheap pastels for the whole time I've been painting in this medium and only like the very soft expensive ones used in the highlights at the end of the process. The lady in the sho did suggest conte crayons but they weren't really what I was looking for. Any suggestions here????

MarshaSavage
01-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Amanda,

The brand "NuPastel" is a wonderful "harder" soft pastel. They come in small square sticks rather than round and are relatively cheap. If you haven't already tried them, try to find some and do try them. They make a wonderful base for the softer pastels at the later stages of a painting.

I also use the "Rembrandt" brand as a harder pastel, or one that is a base for later softer pastels.

Good luck.

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)