PDA

View Full Version : What a Dane xp wip

jody007
09-14-2005, 10:46 AM
:wave:

Hey Hey Everyone,

Well here a new graphite drawing that I am playing with from the weekly drawing thread. It is 9"x12" on Academie paper with mechanical p.
I still have alot more to do.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=285488

ALL C&C WELCOME

Jody

cpart
09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Oh WOW Jody this is amazing WTG Girl :clap: :clap: :clap:

Splatt!
09-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Jody,

How do you find the time? Commissions, guiding and FUN!

Nice one!

jody007
09-14-2005, 01:20 PM
:D

Stu and Steve, LOL You all are so sweet thanks for your lovely comments I do appreciate them. :D

Steve, It's not easy! I get up very early in the morning and get all my housework done, then I get to do the things I love. :D

Well here's somemore work on the Dane I still have alot more to do.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=285582
ALL C&C WELCOME
Jody :D

Terry Wynn
09-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Jody,

This is great! I love it as is so I will be watching to see what you do from here.

Terry

jody007
09-14-2005, 01:58 PM
:wave:

Terry,

Thank you for your lovely comments I do appreciate them!

JOdy :D

bjcpaints
09-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Jody! Looking good!
Barbara

jody007
09-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Barbara thank you as always for your lovely comments I do appreciate them! :D

Well Here's somemore I went alittle darker. I am not liking it now :( .

All C&C WElCOME

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=285620

brushandknife
09-14-2005, 09:26 PM
It still looks great. :clap: Don't be so hard on yourself. Just pull out some highlights with your eraser, and do a bit of blending, however you think you want to- smudging, or a light pencil, whatever, to smooth the coat and it will be absolutely wonderful. :cat:
Carol :wave:

darlingart
09-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi Jody, the darker version is looking great - as Carol suggested just pull out some of the highlights with your eraser, or better still use blue tac. Then if you go a bit darker in the shadows of the ears and nose and the other deepest shadows, it will pull it all together. I promise:) I havn't seen the ref and probably should before commenting further, but I would suggest you go as dark with the shadows as you have in the eye.

And if you don't like it that dark, as long as you make the darks by multiple layers rather than harder pressure you will be able to lighten them again.

But - I do understand being hesitant to use such dark shadows, and that's ok - it is still a beautiful piece as it is. You could always print it out in greyscale and push the darks on the print to give you an idea of what it will look like.

Michelle

Halo
09-14-2005, 10:48 PM
I hear panic in your voice...for no good reason though Jody. It looks GREAT. I was a Dane Mom in the past and you captured him great. Detail looks good and his eye is really nice. :) :clap:

artisticruby
09-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Jody,
I think this looks wonderful! Great job!
Beth

Serenity
09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
:clap: :clap:
Jody, I think he's looking fabulous!!! I would be inclined to agree with Michelle in making the shadows as dark as the eye to pull it all together more, as well as pulling out some highlights. Great work so far! :)

jody007
09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Carol, Michelle, DeeDee. Beth and Serena Thank you all so much for your
help and comments I do apprecaite them. I will work on him somemore and try what you all said. It just looks like when I go dark I lose my fur marks. LOL
Always thank again.

jody007
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Here's the reference picture thanks to Crias!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=23868

Jody

Serenity
09-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I have that same photo stored in my reference folder too, Jody. lol Crias sure takes some great photos.

Looking at the reference pic, I'd advise to definitely go darker where you see the darks on the ref. pic. If you're nervous about it, try what Michelle suggested and print it out in greyscale, then work on the printed image to see if you would like it. Yes, you may lose hair marks in the dark areas but it will give him more definition and also balance in with the eye more.

As it is, you have done a remarkable job of him. :clap: I sure hope if I attempt this one that it turns out as good as your's. :clap: :)

jody007
09-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Serena,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments I do appreciate them. I might play around with him someone. I now your will look magnificent I have see your work!!!

darlingart
09-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Jody, when you go really dark in some areas, you may lose the hair definition as Serenity said, but you will still keep the definition in the lighter areas - the end result is that the brain is tricked into reading the darker areas as hair as well. Plus, with graphite you can achieve so many shades of 'black' so that you don't end up with a 'black hole' look in any area.

I tend to use a .5 (HB) mechanical pencil for everything, using many layers to get the darks, then at the end I will use a 2B for the darkest shadows, then finally I will use something like a 6B for tiny touches of really dark tone in the centre of the deepest shadows. Pinching a piece of blue tac so that I have a really thin edge, I then draw that across some areas to indicate reflected light on some of the black hairs.

Have you had a look at Mike Sibley's tutorials (and some of his examples)? His work has really helped me to see how to work with graphite to achieve realistic animal fur. LOL - I just wish I was as good as he is!

Michelle

jody007
09-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Michelle,

I am new to graphite this is my 4th drawing and I really would like to do it the right way LOl! Oh yes I have seen Mike's work,wow he is excellent
or what? I went alittle darker on my drawing of a Beagle and I really saw what
a big difference it makes. I will work on him somemore.Thanks for your lovely comments and help I do apprecaite it.

Lynn Al-Q.
09-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi Jody :wave:
Don't know what you are worrying about - this is coming along beautifully and you've got some great advice here (I will be taking note of these suggestions for when I manage to get drawing again :D ). Can't wait to see some more. :D
Lynn

jody007
09-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Lynn,

Thank you for your lovely comments and help I do apprecaite all I can get!