PDA

View Full Version : Grapevine Masa

Becky-Bob
09-14-2005, 03:43 AM
I tried to achieve here somewhat what Celeste had in her grapevine demo. Harder to accomplish than she makes it look. I bow to your saged skills and artist's knowledge/wisdom. ;)

Here I tried to achieve a few things. I wanted to do a border type edge...implied but not written in stone, so to say. Then in trying to achieve the grapes, following instructions I just had a DEVIL of a time accomplishing what Celeste does so easily. I had problems with the light, or understanding the shadowing, shades, colors on the grapes.

What I LOVE about the grapes is that being the paper was still wet...as I get so anxious to move ahead....see some progress....it allowed for some WONDERFUL bleeds outside of the grapes onto the background in that WONDERFUL masa way...and maybe tomorrow I will depict that more clearly. As I am bleary eyed by now. It still cries for work...and I intend to continue.

Here's how it looks so far. C & C welcomed...and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/4536-P9130104.JPG

It looks like my curly-cues got L'd to death. :o I'll tape it down tomorrow/today and make it more photo friendly.

painterbear
09-14-2005, 05:57 AM
Becky,

You are off to a great start. I like the zig-zag placement of the vines and leaves. The border looks good too.

Be back to see your progress.

Sylvia

Yorky
09-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Looking good so far, Becky - you seem to be in control;)

Doug

jaydiva
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Looking very good!!! You're on a roll, Becky.

Can't wait to see it progress

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

my new fineart website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

KathyJB
09-14-2005, 03:22 PM
yOU bRAVE BRAVE GIRL!!! is this a full sheet? look like it is,
love the composition, I see lots of texture in your future...
nice colors and the border is a nice touch also
how did you afix the masa paper? I like to notice what works abns what dioesnt work for people,
you go girl!!!

Katsharingmasahat

Becky-Bob
09-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone, Sylvia, Doug, Jutta, Kathy finemasasisterfriend. :p :p I'm sitting back and observing allowing the masa to speak to me. :D I will further define the leaves, some of them....pulling some forward, pushing some back, and adding a few more less described ones. I will also put some indication of other bunches hanging here and there, but hopefully that will be very subtle. I may edge the boarder too...not sure yet. I think that would add something.

I forgot to say (thank Kathy!) that this is 18 X 24...so, not quite a full sheet. I started another grape painting....on a smaller scale, and that one flopped for lack of planning...and working my composition. This one doesn't much more planning. Actually I had a plan, and that was go more whimsical....but, after starting, and getting this far...far from done....it speaks something else to me. And I'm learning to LISTEN to my paintings lately.

Kathy, I glued it with Elmer's Glue. Read somewhere that that was doable, and it is what I had on hand. Next I will buy wallpaper glue. I hear its cheap and works wonders. think where glue is concerned, if it works and is cheap its OK. What do you use?

Everything that went on so far went on in a very wet on wet fashion. Now I will do more went on dry...though I'll try to remember to leave subdued there, soft edges as much as I can. I won't go too overwhelming with background speak...just subtley....I hope.

leverettfinn
09-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Really interesting....looks almost like a fresco....wonderful textures

Lauren

Celeste McCall
09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi Becky,
I like this a bunch. :) :) :) Actually, and I'm not kidding, there was some plates in Fredricksburg, Texas that were $300 each (14" round) and they weren't half this good. Grapes are one thing that really sells. I think that you did a really good job on these.

Grapes are something that takes a long time to perfect, but even if they may not be what you envisioned, I'd give you and A+ for a first try. ;) :) :) :) :)

Go....Becky!

KathyJB
09-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Ahh shes got the bug... signs of true artist... when the painting starts to speak to you and masa does your hooked.
I did a little study this week using all of my glues. Here is what I came up with:
elmers glue works fine might come undone with water if not set to dry totally,
you can paint over top of it if some gets on the surface,

PVA is perfect dries rock hard doesnt move or buckle
can paint over it well

Linen bookbinding glue works well
but also acts as a resist so I quit using
that unless I want to block out color and add no more.

acrylic gel medium also works well but is a strong
resist and will dispel any paint there after.

That brings me to a whole other study of resists
and I shall save it for another thread, hope that helps.

Elmers for now is a good one ... when can afford it get PVA.

KatinPVAhat

Becky-Bob
09-15-2005, 12:19 AM
OK... MissPVAhat....here's my ignorance showing. What is PVA and where would one get this substance? :) :p

Wow...did something just happen? All of the sudden everyones paintings on their posts look so much more PAZZASS. Anybody else notice that? Or, do I need to put down this drink with the funny stuff in it?? (JOKE) :D

Becky-Bob
09-15-2005, 02:53 AM
I'm near done. Any suggestions or comments here. Thanks!

I'm going to have to redo the left bunch. I highlighted too much there, I can see that now. I wanted that one a bit more subdued...as the upper one is the focal one. I know....the leaves. I like doing leaves like this...don't ask me why. Now...for the most part this is all quite subtle. I think maybe I brightened this too much trying to get it right. I'll see if I can get a better depiction and try to post that yet. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/4536-P9140112.JPG

I cheated with some white acrylic. My brush just wanted to use it....sorry. I like it....I know a lot of what I do isn't kosher to watercolor painting....its just stuff that is instinctual for me though. So....what do I do?

KathyJB
09-15-2005, 07:43 AM
OK... MissPVAhat....here's my ignorance showing. What is PVA and where would one get this substance?

my brand is Lineco exact name is Neutral PH Adhesive aka permanant PVA adhjesive
its just a good glue for callage i get mine at the local art store you can try dick blick or cheap joes on line

your painting is co,ong along greaaaat! have you tried a wash over it
like yello ochre or a really pale rose madder wash
... will bring out the cracqely effects of the masa paper,

how did you get that border? can we se detail shots?

Kat

Becky-Bob
09-15-2005, 12:04 PM
What do you want, egg in your beer? ;) JK That's what my dad would always say to me. Well....lets see. Thanks for the heads up on the PVA.

OK....I'll probably try the rose madder today....we'll see. Yes, the crackly stuff doesn't show up too much on my masas do they. I noticed that too. Is there a certain amount of time when you scrunch it that you should just leave it in a ball? I don't at all. I scrunch, and then bring it right to the table to affix.

The border. I took actually a sponge craft brush/applicator and dipped it in well-diluted burnt sienna....then just ran it all around the edges....dabbed a bit here and there to get some good variation. Those are the only places you actually see the scrunches and crinkles actually. Otherwise you see some of the long line grouves here and there, but for the most part don't see any crinkles. Maybe the rose matter would make the difference. Which would you use at this point...oops, I'm looking here and I have these yellows....Holbein permanent yellow lemon, DaVinci cadmium yellow light, and DaVinci aaureolin....probably go with the rose madder eh? I have WN rose madder.

Ohhh, back to the border....after running the burnt sienna around the boarder I then did a soft line of DaVinci ultramarine violet. So, theres that. Ohhhh, and I"ll try for the close-ups when I finish. Haven't decided on the wash matter yet.

Becky-Bob
09-15-2005, 02:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/4536-close1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/4536-close2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/4536-close3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/4536-grapevine_on_masa.jpg
You know, I don't know what I'm doing now compared to what I did the first time or two, working with this Masa. I'm not getting all of the wonderful texture that I could be getting out of it. I guess my crinkling methods are off, eh?
I did two light washes of rose madder, but I guess you can't get out of it what isn't there. The whites really aren't that *out there* like they look here...a bit more subdued. For the most part, I'm very pleased with this painting....just wish the artist could have accomplished the masa look to it....crinkle more....maybe leave it balled up for a while to hold the crinkles more readily....live and learn and grow.

MASAQUEENWANNABEKAPUT

Celeste McCall
09-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Becky, now that you've done this one, then do another one also. The more that you do the more comfortable you'll feel. By the way, you do great tendrils!!!

I personally like a few more overlaps of leaves and grape clusters for added depth...but this is really good! Love the colors in your grapes. I'd like to see one side of the clusters darker than the other...just to add form to the clusters....but this is sure decorative as is. :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. :) :) :) :) :)

painterbear
09-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Becky,

Great advice from Celeste about your next grape painting.

Maybe you could add another layer of Masa paper on top of this one with more crinkles in it for texture and paint on top of it letting this painting show through?????

Sylvia

nes7827
09-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Becky, yep easy to be inspired looking at those paintings of Celeste's, she's a Real master. I think you've got lots of good ideas going, hope to see you do a couple more versions of it (something I do a lot) so you have a choice...one of them will always stand out as the best...also, the subsequent ones go faster and easier...go for it!

Becky-Bob
09-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Whoops, Celeste says she like the colors of my grapes, and then I change them. LOL

Sylvia....I LOVED your idea....and I'm going to try that one later, just because it sounds WONDERFUL!! But not with this one. I'm so attached to this specific painting. Might hang it in my home, we'll see. But, yes, with everyone's suggestions I will do grapes again. Now that I've done them, I have that push/adrenalin rush to do it again, and again....in different ways, in different styles....yes.

Thanks Nick! Celeste is a master! I want to be just like she is when I grow up! ;) And she's a real help and encouragement too. I appreciate her....and you....and all!