PDA

View Full Version : Portrait bust pre-disaster

max nelson
01-14-2002, 09:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2002/JR_Bust_FV_C.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2002/RV_JR_C.jpg
Found these photos that I fortunately took prior to this piece falling apart. I previously posted the salvaged version (Clay Bust).
It was coming along nicely with a spot on likeness and was about half way home. Perils of wet clay or perhaps just too laggerdly in getting it finished. This one is long gone..so suggestions for changes will fall on deaf ears.:D :D Chastisment for leaving it untouched for several weeks accepted with good grace.
Max:)

MKathleen
01-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Max, what a shame about your portrait bust falling apart!:( Sounds like the clay gods pooped on ya! :( Dam!
Are you going to build another one? Looks like you had a wonderful start very finely femine features.

I got my Lucchesi book today "Modeling The Figure In Clay" as I recall this is the one you call your bible?;) I'll take it with me tomorrow I have jury duty.

Best,
Kathy:(

diane555
01-15-2002, 12:00 PM
Max...chasting you for leaving this one too long! Looks like you were on your way to a very nice piece here, but you know what I always say about clay..."what the hey...it's only clay" :D Maybe this one was meant to be different, I really did like the salvaged version anyway. As I've said before, you really have a special talent for working with people. These pics are great progress pics though. Thanks for posting them.

Di

max nelson
01-15-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys for the sympathy. Thats the reason I posted...and it worked. Feel better now.:

Kathy..yea, those clay gods poop on me a lot. Think they're trying to tell me sumthin? BTW the 'bible' book is the one by Edward Lanterri. Brunos books are excellent also, but Lanteri has soooo much 'how to' that I use it a lot. Speaking of a lot..looks like you've about worn out the Jack Hamm book. They do print new ones ya know:D

Di..chastisment taken with a promise to not let it happen again (just kiddin..I know I won't keep it) I work very fast..when I work..I procrastinate very long. I keep waiting for the 'spirit' to move me. The 'spirit' doesn't even know where I live!:D

Max:) :)

MKathleen
01-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Max, ya knew your Buds would come though for yaaaaaaaa:D :D :D Glad ya feeling better now!:D
Forsure talk about bibles Hamm is the best, I have learn a lot from his animal book. I just not to long ago saw his animal book (I didn't buy it) and thought I should retire my current one. Books are like your favorite sculpting tool or brush it's the worn one you use the most.
I ordered Lanterri's book this morning and should get it in a few days. Amazon loves me!:cat: I told myself this is the last one I'm going to buy for a while.
What new sculpture piece are you working on now? Oh about those clay gods I'd better be really careful--they'll really dump on me.:( ;) :eek:

Best,
Kathy
Been meaning to ask you have you seen the sculpture of the horse and rider outside the Wickenburg or is it Wickenberg? museum? I've been there twice and I just love that sculpture! What a terrific museum for it's size all my favorite western artists works are displayed there.:clap:

Phyllis Rennie
01-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Why did it fall apart?? Sorry if you've already answered that--I've only been in this forum steadily for a couple of weeks and I know mightly little about clay.

max nelson
01-16-2002, 11:47 PM
Kathy..yea..you guys came thru. Thanks. It's been a while since I was at the Wickenberg Museum so I don't think I've seen the horse sculp you mentioned. I believe that I heart that the Barton piece that stood on the corner of Scottsdale and Main was moved to there. Yes, that is a great museum. I usually take the back road from my annual trek to the Phippen show in Prescott (held on Memorial day) and go thru Wickenberg just to hit the museum. Not only are some of my favorite western artist there but they have one of the best collections of western saddles, chaps etc in the basement to be found anywhere. Glad you ordered the Lanterri book.

Phyllis..sorry to hear that the relief cracked on ya. I was wondering how that foil thing was going to work out. Now I know. Di had mentioned in one of her post that she thought you were going to use the very thin foil. That should work no problem, but a heavier foil forshadowed trouble with a capital T.
Since it's an air dry clay and I have absolutely no experience with it I can only guess as to how you might repair. If it will not stick together at it's current state I think I would just go ahead and cook it or dry it(however it's done) and epoxy it when finished. You could drill a couple of dowel holes in it for some additional strength. If that works then you could get some of the silver or gold leaf and cover. It should be invisible to the naked eye. I run around the house with my eyes naked all the time.:D
Good luck with it.
Max

max nelson
01-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Phyllis..sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I think the reason it fell apart is due to too long kept in the wet stage (a couple of months) and also due to the paper wad I use on top of the post armature. If it is not wrapped good with plastic wrap then moisture makes the paper soggy and allows the clay to sag.
Max

Yielding
01-17-2002, 07:31 AM
she reminds me of Sigourney Weaver from the alien movies.

Max - you have a real talent for real life, the busts you have posted are great. What other real life sculptures other than the human have to ventured in to?