PDA

View Full Version : Health & Safety - Pastels & Toxicity

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:48 AM
Guys, I'm going to move everyone's messages relating to the above to this new thread so that it will be easier to track in the future.

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Nan danadh mo lmh mar a dh'iarradh mo shil!</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">If my hand could do as my eye would desire!</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:50 AM
4vincent

Veteran
posted: January 30, 2001 11:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never tried the Unison's either. I guess I was waiting until after I won the lottery...they sound disappointing.
I have Terry's to make (still ) which I aim to; his were of nice quality. Another set I like for their softness are Great American, made in Cincinnati.
Can't wait to see your post on the suede support, Roan; I did a couple in the past on velour and liked the quality but heard it wasn't archival and so didn't use it again.
Another support I want to try is raw linen canvas; ever tried it?

[This message has been edited by Roan (edited February 01, 2001).]

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:51 AM
Roan Immortalized

posted: January 31, 2001 06:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
I have Terry's to make (still ) which I aim to; his were of nice quality. Another set I like for their softness are Great American, made in Cincinnati.

I heard Great Americans are darn nice to use, but they are far more toxic than the other brands. In fact, California has required them to carry a warning on their label. They actually have cancer causing pigments in them that other brands substitute. I have a 4 year old and I'm pregnant, gloves and mask or no, I have to be careful.

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:52 AM
4vincent

Veteran
posted: January 31, 2001 08:21 AM
Well....
I haven't tried raw linen myself; I've done a couple on stretched canvas prepped with pumice surface for experimentation; one is on my acanthus site-a still life. It was fun and soft to work on, but being not on a solid support, may have a tendency to "vibrate" off. I can't recall offhand the artists who used raw linen, they said it gave a luminous quality. When I recall the names, I'll let you know.
Great American highly toxic? Have to look into this. I became familiar with them thru Judy Carducci, and have talked with the guy who makes and sells them. I'll look into this too. Ken

------------------ http://kenhardy.artistnation.com

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:52 AM
Roan

Immortalized

posted: January 31, 2001 08:59 AM
Ken:
Highly toxic as compared to other brands of pastels -- not as in nuclear waste

Here's the cautionary print off American's color guide:

-----------------
CONTAINS: Crystaline silica. Some colors may contain cadmium pigments.

CALIFORNIA: WARNING!
This product contains an ingredient known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY CHILDREN.
-----------------

I've not seen any other pastel brand carry ANY of these warnings.

Another thing I've noticed, which REALLY bothers me, is that Great American pastels do NOT display an "Art & Creative Materials Institute Certified" rating anywhere. The ACMI rates toxicity in art materials.

An AP (Approved Product) rating means that the product is approved and contains no harmful materials in sufficient quantities to humans that could cause acute or chronic health problems. A CL rating (Cautionary Labeling) means that the product are certified to be properly labeled in a program of toxicological evaluation by a medical expert for any known health risks and with information on the safe and proper use of these materials.

Frankly, I'd like to get my hands on the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for all the pastels I use.

In Canada, ANYTHING that can even be remotely considered toxic must have warning labels on them. I'd like to hear from some Canadian pastelists -- do your pastels carry the appropriate warnings? Can you get Great American there and do they have the proper saftey labels on them?

On the Rochester site, they also have the following warning for Great American:

"Please keep in mind that these are designed for professional artists, and may contain cadmium, chromium, and manganese pigments."

I also understand -- through the grape vine, mind you -- that the gentleman who makes these pastels downplays their possible toxicity quite a bit. I'm not saying he's wrong or right or whatever, my only point to this entire toxicity issue is that it's my body and my babies and it's my duty as a mother and a parent to ensure I don't needlessly expose myself -- or them -- to something that may harm them now or in the future.

------------------
Roan
Nan danadh mo lmh mar a dh'iarradh mo shil!
-- If my hand could do as my eye would desire!
RoanStudio.com <-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:53 AM
4vincent

Veteran
posted: January 31, 2001 11:27 AM
I agree with you Roan, it pays to be cautious; after all, we're not far from Soylent Green... I don't blame you for doing so; I should practice more care than I do.

I've always wondered how artists in the past have abused their health to pursue their passions. (their art,I mean )

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:53 AM
Shari

posted: January 31, 2001 01:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roan:
Ken:

[B]CALIFORNIA: WARNING!
This product contains an ingredient known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

I've not seen any other pastel brand carry ANY of these warnings.

I just got a set of Rembrandt landscapes and one of the yellow pieces had this exact warning on it. It was the only one in the set though with that warning. Also, I think the US is tougher than Canada on warnings because I am an esthetician by trade and I have MSDS sheets on all my products and some things I can only get through Canada from Europe and not directly mailed to the US because the labelling law is stricter here.

Shari

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:54 AM
Katherine J

posted: February 01, 2001 12:35 AM
Quote: In Canada, ANYTHING that can even be remotely considered toxic must have warning labels on them. I'd like to hear from some Canadian pastelists -- do your pastels carry the appropriate warnings? Can you get Great American there and do they have the proper saftey labels on them?
Maybe someone can tell me how to make something bold! When I select and click bold, I just get some text saying it's bold.

I'm absolutely fascinated with this discussion because of the huge variety of pastels I've never heard of. We certainly don't get Great American. In Vancouver, BC, we have two major art supply outlets and where I shop there is Holbein (never seen this mentioned on Wet Canvas), Rembrandt, Schmincke and Koss (student). There is one other I can't recall - it just had initials, something like SMI? In answer to your question, none of these has any warning labels and we are usualy pretty strick about such things in this country. Perhaps Canadians in other provinces have different brands and warning labels.
Katherine

------------------

Roan
figgby

posted: February 01, 2001 01:56 AM
Try asking Terry to do a post on the toxcicity of pastels. They will all give you cancer. They are full of heavy metals, calcium carbonate, I think, and toxic pigments. Ask him to tell you of his experiences. By the way he makes beautiful pastels and in gorgeous colors.

------------------

Roan
Shari

posted: February 01, 2001 02:07 AM
[B]Try asking Terry to do a post on the toxcicity of pastels. They will all give you cancer. They are full of heavy metals, calcium carbonate, I think, and toxic pigments.
This is very scary! What is the solution to this problem? Does everyone where gloves and masks? I have to work inside my home, in a corner of my living room. Is there anything I can do about pastel fallout? What do other people do about the toxicity of pastels? I am curious how to use pastels and remain healthy; I certainly don't want cancer. Please let me know how you deal with this.

Shari

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:55 AM
4vincent

Veteran
posted: February 01, 2001 05:56 AM
Well, I said I would look into this about Great American; here's a reply that Judy got from Bob Strohsahl (the mfgr pastelguy@aol.com) concerning this. By the way, this is just FYI; I don't try to plug any one brand, or clear a product's name. Final decision's are, as usual, up to the buyer of a product. Ken
Sorry, Ken; that happens to me a lot too. Here is what Bob Strohsahl wrote:
"Hi Judy and Ken,
"We use the same materials that the other professional grade pastel producers
use. All of our formulas and ingredients were scrutinized by a toxocologist
(at great expense) and declared safe to their intended use. The required
labeling attests to this. We also meet California's required labeling laws
and include that prescribed warning on our labels. (By the way, the
California labeling requirement is nonsense and a lot of the pigment
manufacturers are trying to get it changed. The Federal law is more accurate
and encompassing. Unfortunately, there are some 'bounty hunter' attorneys
who look for non-compliance with the CA law and will sue the manufacturer if
their labels are not up to snuff.)
"Because some other producers don't carry the required labeling doesn't
imply that they are 'safer' than Art Works. They are simply not complying
with the law.
"Don't eat or breathe the dust from the pastels of ANY manufacturer.

"Hope this helps,
Bob Strohsahl"

I inserted his email address for any inquiries. Judy's comments were that he taught chemistry at Dartmouth and "knows his stuff". He DID ask the address of the forum
about this (which I didn't disclose) but I didn't want this to get into a debate. However, if you'd like, you could "invite" him in...up to you (and Scott of course)

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 07:59 AM
I'm in the process of doing research -- on line, of course, regarding this issue. I did find a few very interesting links. One is a link to the Center for Safety in the Arts, specifically where it talks about pastels:
http://artsnet.heinz.cmu.edu:70/0/csa/arthazards/visualarts/paintdrw

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by figgby
Try asking Terry to do a post on the toxcicity of pastels. They will all give you cancer. They are full of heavy metals, calcium carbonate, I think, and toxic pigments. Ask him to tell you of his experiences. By the way he makes beautiful pastels and in gorgeous colors.

Hrm, I don't think they *all* contain heavy metals. I know some use substitutes and those that do have theirs labeled as "hue", ie: Cadmium Red Hue.

Nog about Terry. I'll give him a shout.

Thanks Figgs!

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Shari:
I just got a set of Rembrandt landscapes and one of the yellow pieces had this exact warning on it. It was the only one in the set though with that warning. Also, I think the US is tougher than Canada on warnings because I am an esthetician by trade and I have MSDS sheets on all my products and some things I can only get through Canada from Europe and not directly mailed to the US because the labelling law is stricter here.

I'm a little confused. If you can only get them through Canada and not directly from Europe, that would mean that Canada changes the labels on them? Do they come in from Canada without the proper labels? If so, and the US is stricter, why would they allow improperly marked toxic substances to come into the country, Canada or no? Just confused.

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Katherine J:

Maybe someone can tell me how to make something bold! When I select and click bold, I just get some text saying it's bold.

Actually, the easiest way I've found is to just put &lt;B&gt; in front of the text you want bold, and &lt;/B&gt; at the end of the text you want bold. Saves using that thingy up there :P

I'm absolutely fascinated with this discussion because of the huge variety of pastels I've never heard of. We certainly don't get Great American. In Vancouver, BC, we have two major art supply outlets and where I shop there is Holbein (never seen this mentioned on Wet Canvas), Rembrandt, Schmincke and Koss (student). There is one other I can't recall - it just had initials, something like SMI? In answer to your question, none of these has any warning labels and we are usualy pretty strick about such things in this country. Perhaps Canadians in other provinces have different brands and warning labels.

Boggle! I'm starting to think both the US and Canadian Governments are ignoring health hazards to artists! My Sennelier AND Schmincke, US bought, also do NOT have warning labels on them. If they contain toxic metals, and according to the research I've been doing, they are required by law to do so! I know it's the same in Canada as well.

Here's an excerpt from an article I found at the http://www.sunshineartist.com/magazine/mail_order_supplies.htm site:

"Federal law since 1989 (the Labeling of Hazardous Art Materials Act) requires all art product labels to include a conformance statement ("conforms to ASTM D-4236"); manufacturers or other responsible party's name, address and telephone number where further information about chronic toxicity can be obtained; and a list of any chronically hazardous ingredients and appropriate hazard warnings. In fact, it is now illegal to sell any art material without these items on the label. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration demands manufacturers provide Material Safety Data Sheets for products containing oxides or quantities of toxic elements. The law requires these sheets be made available to employers whose employees use the products. Although manufacturers and importers are not required (except in a few states) to supply these sheets to individual consumers, you should deal with reputable companies that do. You might even want to ask a mail-order company to provide sheets before purchasing a particular item and certainly when the product is bought."

What gives!?!? My Rowney's are labeled with "conforms to ASTM D-4236" -- I see it on the color guide.

Everyone, please check your color guides and post if they are labeled or not. I wanna know!

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Shari:
This is very scary! What is the solution to this problem? Does everyone where gloves and masks? I have to work inside my home, in a corner of my living room. Is there anything I can do about pastel fallout? What do other people do about the toxicity of pastels? I am curious how to use pastels and remain healthy; I certainly don't want cancer. Please let me know how you deal with this.

Yes, Shari, it's VERY scary! I'm still trying to find out if there is anything on the web of actual studies that have been done.

What I do suggest you do is go to the Center for Safety in the Arts site:
http://artswire.org:70/1/csa

And read up on precautions, etc.

On that same site, here again is the text regarding the proper labeling of art materials:
http://artsnet.heinz.cmu.edu:70/0/csa/arthazards/visualarts/labeling

------------------

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 4vincent:
Well, I said I would look into this about Great American; here's a reply that Judy got from Bob Strohsahl (the mfgr pastelguy@aol.com) concerning this. By the way, this is just FYI; I don't try to plug any one brand, or clear a product's name. Final decision's are, as usual, up to the buyer of a product. Ken
Sorry, Ken; that happens to me a lot too. Here is what Bob Strohsahl wrote:
"Hi Judy and Ken,
"We use the same materials that the other professional grade pastel producers
use. All of our formulas and ingredients were scrutinized by a toxocologist
(at great expense) and declared safe to their intended use. The required
labeling attests to this. We also meet California's required labeling laws
and include that prescribed warning on our labels. (By the way, the
California labeling requirement is nonsense and a lot of the pigment
manufacturers are trying to get it changed. The Federal law is more accurate
and encompassing. Unfortunately, there are some 'bounty hunter' attorneys
who look for non-compliance with the CA law and will sue the manufacturer if
their labels are not up to snuff.)
"Because some other producers don't carry the required labeling doesn't
imply that they are 'safer' than Art Works. They are simply not complying
with the law.
"Don't eat or breathe the dust from the pastels of ANY manufacturer.

"Hope this helps,
Bob Strohsahl"

I inserted his email address for any inquiries. Judy's comments were that he taught chemistry at Dartmouth and "knows his stuff". He DID ask the address of the forum
about this (which I didn't disclose) but I didn't want this to get into a debate. However, if you'd like, you could "invite" him in...up to you (and Scott of course

Ken,
Really appreciate you looking into and posting this! Thank you for not disclosing the forum address, I really don't think it's in our best interests to get into a huge debate, etc., with a manufacturer.

Now, if what he says is true -- and I know I have a couple of brands that are not labeled at all -- my concern is WHY the US and Canadian governments are allowing improperly labeled and/or unlabeled toxic art supplies into their respective countries? Someone has dropped the ball!

What can we do about this?

I'd like to hear from an impartial person who is knowledgable about this stuff. A Chemical Safety Engineer -- someone who has or has been responsible for art supply testing, etc., but isn't affiliated with any manufacturer. Anyone know of such a beastie?

------------------
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) <-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:42 AM
Just going through my pastels doing a spot check and I've noticed that all of my Winsor & Newton and Rowney pastels are marked in some fashion. The ones I looked at directly carry an AP Non-Toxic label -- and that includes all my reds. My Rowney's are marked with the ACMI and say "No Health Labeling Required". I don't have any red or cadmium Rowney's.

Ah! The Sennelier's I have say "No Health Labeling Required. Conforms to ASTM D4236". Morons have it at the end of the label where the paper wraps over each end. Can barely see it. I only have a few colors, anyone have cadmium Senneliers they can check?

My Unisons are not marked at all. Nada. Not on the sticks, not on the box. I don't see any labeling at all on my Schmincke either. I'm very dissappointed with that.

My Rembrandts are all older sticks -- I know they changed their formulas and colors last year (maybe that's why yours were marked, Shari?). Anyhow, none of my sticks have labels, but a box has "No Health Label Required" etc., on it. Methinks Rembrandt has ADDED some toxics in order to improve their colors.

------------------
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) <-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Roan
02-01-2001, 09:55 AM
One more post from me and then I have to get some work done http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/tongue.gif

I've written to the Center for Safety in the Arts asking if someone knowledgable from their staff can join us.

Let's cross our fingers and hope they will join us here. I'll also try and contact some other places and see what I can do.

Hugs to all, and paint today!

------------------

Shari
02-01-2001, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roan:
[B] I'm a little confused. If you can only get them through Canada and not directly from Europe, that would mean that Canada changes the labels on them? Do they come in from Canada without the proper labels? If so, and the US is stricter, why would they allow improperly marked toxic substances to come into the country, Canada or no? Just confused.

I use a lash tint substance in my work that I can only get from Canada and it comes from Austria. I think the laws are relaxing a little and I may be able to get it in the US soon. It is perfectly safe, but they have to put on the label that isn't. That sounds like what is going on with the pastels also, although I am more concerned about breathing pastel dust. How do you avoid that? I can't imagine wearing a mask, especially since I need to wear reading glasses when I work up close.

Shari

Katherine J
02-01-2001, 02:43 PM
I'm with you Shari, I can't imagine wearing a mask. I've tried the kind you get at hardware stores and with glasses, it's a real pain - glasses fog up with every breath. Are others of you really wearing masks? What about gloves? Are people wearing gloves? The kind from the hardware, or surgical gloves?

Katherine

Shari
02-01-2001, 05:19 PM
Are others of you really wearing masks? What about gloves? Are people wearing gloves? The kind from the hardware, or surgical gloves?

Katherine, I have started to wear surgical gloves. I stock boxes of them in my skin care salon as I use them for the extractions during the facial. I have gotten in the habit of using gloves because I don't want to get the toxic colors into my body through my skin. I also need to keep my hands soft for doing facials. The gloves only work for me if they fit very tight, so I get extra small ones. I find that I have to change them a lot during the painting process, I got through two to three pairs in a sitting. I just bought some barrier cream to try, but part of me doesn't believe it will really work. Skin and the ability to absorb toxins is one think I do understand, and in my business, I am always admonishing people to be very careful what they put on their skin, especially on their face, so I am very cautious about this.

Shari

Roan
02-01-2001, 08:50 PM
That tears it. My husband found out that some of these pastels possibly contain cadmium and he's royally upset. Kris was majoring in Organic Chemistry when I met him -- apparently cadmium is radioactive and WILL cause cancer if the right isotope? is breathed in. He explained it in detail, but I was lost for most of it http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif Anyhow, he's setting up this HEPA air filtering system that he wants to attach to both sides of my easel.

Btw, I did get a reply from the Center for Safety in the Arts, they want to talk to me voice. I'll let you all know what happens, hopefully tomorrow.

PS.
He briefly said that although his data was a couple of years out of date, some of the imported pastels on his list contain lead. Not good http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

<FONT COLOR="red">Amendment to the above: been doing some of my own research on the metals et al and I don't see a radioactive listing for cadmium, just carcenogenic. Most likely I misheard hubby -- I'm hearing impaired -- or mixed it with another element we were discussing at the time.</FONT c>

[This message has been edited by Roan (edited February 02, 2001).]

Roan
02-02-2001, 01:35 PM
I'm going to be talking to the CFSA Director early next week via phone. If anyone has any SPECIFIC questions they'd like me to ask, please write them down here and I'll ask him.

------------------

Roan
02-03-2001, 09:34 PM
Gang, I'm going to close down this thread for the time being. If anyone wants any of the information that I get from the CFSA director, please email me and I'll keep you updated.

I'll also probably be writing a piece about this for my website.

Ken, read your yahoo email please.

------------------