This is a 30 x 40 Oil painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2002/wtt_2.jpg

dnip24
01-14-2002, 06:42 PM
nice paint colors combinations!

mame
01-15-2002, 09:11 AM
reactions:

image too centrally located (just a personal pet peeve)

Not enough variation in focal colors - i.e., red flower face. Little interest for eye to delve into, move around and the blue isn't taken far enough

All areas are the same value - also dillutes interest of the eye moving in and out of percieved space.

Let the white go. Try getting the effect with "light"

Experimenting with a different medium? Have you tried your process with acrylic? Because your work is so "immediate" might get some interesting process "ahas" happening with layering and "staying" in the painting with less mush with acrylic.

If you want maternal pats on the head, I'm sorry. I cut through the bull because I love you. Love, Auntie Mame.

kelly
01-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Good Morning!

YEAH, I think I centered it to be blunt and cause I know its a rule...

Not enough variation in focal colors - i.e., red flower face. Little interest for eye to delve into, move around and the blue isn't taken far enough

Hmmm....I have three different reds on the flower...perhaps the image is too poor to see that....Now the blue, specifically the cerulean blue at the left corner...you would take that further?

All areas are the same value - also dillutes interest of the eye moving in and out of percieved space.

Hmmm...once again...the surface is littered with different hues and colors...not sure the image is working online...

WHat do you mean by letting it go? Are you referring to the eyes or the thorns?

Experimenting with a different medium? Have you tried your process with acrylic? Because your work is so "immediate" might get some interesting process "ahas" happening with layering and "staying" in the painting with less mush with acrylic.

YEah acrylic is something I play with alot and it might be a better choice due to the time and layers aspect...this painting has been hanging around over a year...

If you want maternal pats on the head, I'm sorry. I cut through the bull because I love you. Love, Auntie Mame.

I got exactly what I wanted Mame...thanks for the comments..

AmyH
01-16-2002, 02:31 AM
owy

Wolrab
01-16-2002, 02:05 PM
The use of colour and the brushstrokes are excellent. The distribution of colour could be worked out a little better. I am partial of late to paintings with words in them, I see them as shapes and symbols that add a semiotic device to the final work. There is a wonderful whimsical quality to this work.

RWeller
01-16-2002, 09:17 PM
I like it alot, very unique style.

CarlyHardy
01-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Makes me think of that movie about the plant that ate people. Little Shop of Horrors I think was the title..but I'm not good with movie titles.

Although the figure is central, it does fill up the canvas. The white is too stark in my opinion...and the lips could use more emphasis.

I like the words...gives more emphasis.
carly

mame
01-17-2002, 08:06 AM
Sorry I'm tardy in responding here. I've been looking at a prolific ermerging artist's portfolio who's getting ready to hit the street and take the world by storm and for some odd reason asked my opinion...

Originally posted by kelly
Good Morning!

YEAH, I think I centered it to be blunt and cause I know its a rule...

Molly: I buy this. As good a reason as any.

Molly: hmm, maybe I need to think about my own objectivity. Could be my own eccentricities re color. In cyberspace, everything looks like the same value here. Maybe just projecting on my part. I WANT the color to be less naive/more sophisticated (don't know how else to express this) to juxtapose the "outsider" naive imagery.

Hmmm....I have three different reds on the flower...perhaps the image is too poor to see that....Now the blue, specifically the cerulean blue at the left corner...you would take that further?

Molly: - Again - perhaps what I WANT to see, i.e., more variation of cerulean mixed with - whatever for interest and "ahas", interesting and unusual mixes of "red" I can't recognize and name, that don't look straight out of the tube, gradation of hue/value/lights and darks etc.

Hmmm...once again...the surface is littered with different hues and colors...not sure the image is working online...

Molly: Again - maybe I'm nuts

WHat do you mean by letting it go? Are you referring to the eyes or the thorns?

Molly: White's a cop out. It doesn't "do" anything here for me. Loses its impact with overuse. My take - as with "pure" colors (a slash of cad red) save it for the zings.

YEah acrylic is something I play with alot and it might be a better choice due to the time and layers aspect...this painting has been hanging around over a year...

I got exactly what I wanted Mame...thanks for the comments..

Molly: My motivation - what is going to give your stuff an edge and set it apart from the 600 other portfolios of outsider art sitting on the floor in the gallery owner's office?

AmyH
01-17-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by mame
Sorry I'm tardy in responding here. I've been looking at a prolific ermerging artist's portfolio who's getting ready to hit the street and take the world by storm and for some odd reason asked my opinion...

Molly: My motivation - what is going to give your stuff an edge and set it apart from the 600 other portfolios of outsider art sitting on the floor in the gallery owner's office?

good point, try to get noticed but maintain your thing.

kelly, I am bothered only by the features, the strength of them compared to the rest. the placement dead center doesnt bother me. its a portrait for all intensive purposes. cant comment on paint color/quality as your scan is almost gif like.

amy

timelady
01-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Kelly, I have a suspicion this image isn't working onscreen. I have it up on my parents' PC and don't see the reds in the flower, and the blue on the side doesn't look cerulean at all - more a ultramarine. Do you usually work on a Mac? Just mention it because on my Mac screen your stuff is usually clearer - images are darker on PC screens. (as a generalisation!)

Personally I don't like this, prefer your people or animals as subject matter. They seem to have more emotion behind them. In comparison this seems almost cartoony and cliche. Meant constructively, of course. :)

Tina.

kelly
01-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback...its been a good experience to hear all these comments.

Mame Says-My motivation - what is going to give your stuff an edge and set it apart from the 600 other portfolios of outsider art sitting on the floor in the gallery owner's office? You know

Mame...I just dont think about that kind of stuff when Im painting...Maybe I should but Im afraid i would come up with a gimmick if i did. To answer your question...I think I just continue to explore and experiment with my language and create stronger images that will get noticed...

Amy Says --good point, try to get noticed but maintain your thing.

Yeah, exactly Amy...If you revisit this post I was curious if you thought the facial features were not strong enough or too strong....
kelly, I am bothered only by the features, the strength of them compared to the rest. the placement dead center doesnt bother me. its a portrait for all intensive purposes.

Tina Says-- Kelly, I have a suspicion this image isn't working onscreen..

thats a good question Tina...I dont think the image is coming through very clear either..but, thats ok...i expect few do..

I personally think this is a very mediocre image..It has some compelling components but I think its missing something...Just didnt have the right energy to finish it decisively. At least thats the way I view something like this.

cagathoc
01-17-2002, 02:29 PM
I know what you mean about the "right energy". Perhaps the best elements of this piece will show up again in another. I like the words on the thorns and leaves a lot, I think this part works and has power.

mame
01-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Kelly-please don't misunderstand me. Not suggesting you create "for" the market/ a gallery/ according to my aesthetic or anyone else's. Just suggesting you do what YOU do with your obvious and evident honesty and integrity but do it BETTER. "Build it and they will come" (corny, huh?)
Love, Auntie Mame.

kelly
01-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Gotcha Auntie Mame....

AmyH
01-18-2002, 02:43 AM
oh geez kelly, I was so unclear, as per usual, no wonder I get in so much hot water around here lol

they are too strong imo, its almost all I can look at. and when I think of the painting, without looking at it, all i remember are those eyes and lips. I'd just like to see them more unified (?) with the rest. Although your work is simple, or naive, or what ever you want to call it, I never think of it as "cartoony", cept for this one, and its the faces fault! :D

amy