PDA

View Full Version : Tangled roots

colours_man
09-12-2005, 06:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2005/43442-tangledroots.jpg

I am not sure about this one, think maybe I bit off more than I could chew. I liked all these roots but it turned out to be so difficult, kept on losing where I was. I kept at it for a long time and this is what I have got to.

Any comments welcome.
Thanks all,

nevbogus
09-12-2005, 07:53 AM
i can see what you mean. it does seem a bit busy or confused between the two trunks. the trunks come down nicely but maybe the quick colour change to the roots is too abrupt. i dont think i would have even tried this so well done for the effort.

chaz
09-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Basically, not bad. Nice definition on the tree truccks and the background is excellent. Just a though. I've drawn tangled roots like that in pencil, but I made the negative spaces, (the spaces between each root, darked that the rots. In this painting perhaps if you did the same, that is make the spaces bewteen the roots darker than the roots, it would make them "pop" and stand out from the rest of the image. Just a thought,

Chuck

krystakaye
09-13-2005, 07:00 PM
I really like the tree trunk on the right when looking at this..it is well done! The roots are a bit hard to read. I agree about maybe more gradual color changes to bring out what is there in the root area. Hang in there...that one tree trunk is too good to give up now!!! :)

Bertoni
09-13-2005, 08:09 PM
The tree trunk on the right side is very well done...nice color here...the tangle under the right side trunk needs a bit more clarity of form...

carld
09-13-2005, 11:18 PM
If you squint your eyes, you will see an interesting dark pattern with light acents in the midtone. If you can connect the darks a little more and add some size variety in the lights I think you will have a winner. The colors and shapes are basically fine, it just needs to be less spotty.

Only my opinion, it is your picture.

Carl

colours_man
09-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Thank you all for making comments - its ironic the trunk came out well, I put harly any effort into that, its the approach to the roots that is difficult.
I certainly agree about the colour gradation - I went overboard with the mars violet and have decided I am not that fond of it. I had started painting over it, but a lot still shows.
Maybe I will keep at it. I like the subject.

Marty C
09-14-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi Nick,
A difficult subject to be sure. The secret here is the treatment of edges, and the careful use of value.
Where you have any tangled or interconnecting mass there are many lost and found edges together with hard and soft edges. This comes from some elements, in this case roots, protruding to the front (hard edges), receding to the back (soft edge), disappearing behind other roots (lost edges) and coming back into view again (found edges). All hard edges, or soft, will reduce the three dimensionality and impact of the work. A combination of all is required. This is then allied with value variation, darker in the shadows, lighter in patches, some mid tones for contrast. It can be detailed or loose, as long as the edge variation is there it will read as tangled roots.

colours_man
09-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks Marty, I think you have made a very interesting and gelpful point there.

Leslie Pz
09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I think the business in between the trunks would be corrected a bit, if you carried the palette from the background, into the rooted area. That way, they relate better. Otherwise, the colors compete for attention.

Very interesting, and I think it is a strong painitng.
-Les