PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread September 12 - 18

Paula Ford
09-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Good Morning Pastelists! September is finally upon us and the weather is changing and becoming cooler by the day. Soon the autumn leaves with be here!! Such inspiration will be all around us!!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. Please time your sketch, but be sure to keep it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here, including those thumbnail sketches, and share your efforts with us!!

Here is a link to last week's thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293028

Have a great week!!

Paula

P.S. Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Paula Ford
09-14-2005, 08:28 PM
It sure is a slow week here...hopefully I'll get to post some sketches in a day or two.

Trilby
09-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Paula, do post some paintings, I always enjoy your work.
TJ

Paula Ford
09-14-2005, 09:14 PM
You're so sweet...hopefully I'll be setting up my studio soon and will be able to paint without having to drag everything out into my little livingroom.

Khadres
09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Sometimes, I think we should have an alternate title to this thread called "Creative Reason Why We're NOT Sketching". Lessee, mine this week is cause the studio's still messy and the kid won't clean up her part. I know I know....it's not that creative, but there it is....sighhhhhhhh

So far, Paula's well ahead, but I will do my best to think up something really really complicated and resourceful. Either that or I'll just sketch something. Nahhhhh. :evil:

Sherrybella
09-14-2005, 10:19 PM
i have been trying like mad to get something done in less than an hour to post for you. I have been struggling so much with drawing on the pastel paper, oh well, i will upload one tomorrow though. I have something drawn and will fill it in tomorrow staying within the hour time frame. I decided to use the hour for pastel and not the drawing. Is that okay?
Sherry

Khadres
09-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes! We wouldn't want you to feel THAT constrained by the the one hour limit! At least I wouldn't! I'd say the pastel part is the main part and just do your best to keep it down to an hour, but if it runs an extra few minutes, we won't shoot ya! I know what you're saying tho...when I started out it took me AGES to get even a simple sketch down on paper...that's natural for new pastellists. I think the one-hour rule is mainly intended to keep us spontaneous and "loose", keeping us from nitpicking a sketch to death, and helping us to learn to go for what really counts in a sketch with no wasted fiddling.

Ruth Grinstead
09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Sorry guys I have just been busy with all the jobs I can't put off any more so hardly any art :crying: . I may have a little less pastel time as I have signed up for an art course which involves lots of different media, but I will pop in regularly.

Ruth

Paula Ford
09-15-2005, 09:32 PM
That's ok Ruth. It's just one of those weeks for everyone. Maybe next week we'll all get to do some sketching or painting.

Sherry, I know what you mean. It is really hard to keep within the hour sometimes. Sometimes time just goes by so quickly, by the time I actually look up to see the time, two hours have passed. That's ok though. We would all love to see it even though it's over an hour.

As Sooz said, ..."the one-hour rule is mainly intended to keep us spontaneous and "loose", keeping us from nitpicking a sketch to death, and helping us to learn to go for what really counts in a sketch with no wasted fiddling." Good observation Sooz.

Sherrybella
09-16-2005, 12:35 AM
As it turns out, i have had no time this week. I am headed for the beach tomorrow morning and will be back with my pastel or two i hope in hand by sunday night, so the week isnt over yet. I will post what i get finished. i love doing this because i set a goal for myself to do at the minimum of 50 over the next year. I realize that is only one per week, so I will probably be able to get between 50-75. I have a portfolio that i am putting them in so i can see if at the end of the year, i improved. For me, learning to choose the right colors and values has been more of an issue. I am trying to stay simple for now until i get the basics down and feel confident to move on to more difficult subjects.

sherry

Sherrybella
09-18-2005, 07:04 PM
i finished it this weekend while at the beach...i had trouble with the paper, no matter what i did i could not seem to fill the spaces with the blue, i also had trouble with cast shadows and the edge of that pitcher...but still learning, any help is most appreciated.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2005/65848-apples_pitcher.jpg

Khadres
09-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Lovely apples! I know it's difficult sometimes to fill the tooth of the paper completely...what kinda was this? Looks like you did a good job of it, after all, tho!

Paula Ford
09-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Sherry,

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good for you!! Those apples look good enough to eat!

You must be using Wallis paper. It sure holds a lot of pastel.

Your still life is really filled with bright light and the only thing I would suggest is to highlight the top of the handle.

You've done very very well...and thank you for sharing your sketch.

I finally finished my little studio this afternoon, which means I now have a place to sketch that is convenient and nothing needs to be hauled into another room or even put away when I'm done. Here are some pictures.

Trilby
09-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Paula that is super, and my gosh it's neat. How long will it stay that neat? :) I like your drafting table .
TJ

Paula Ford
09-18-2005, 11:57 PM
LOL, it probably won't stay neat for long.

I just got the drafting table on Friday from a seller on Ebay.

I don't paint with an easel because I like to tip the painting sideways and up-side-down and twirl it around...and I thought this table would work better than my lap :D

Sherrybella
09-19-2005, 01:10 PM
The paper i was using was something from strathmore. it had all kinds of wierd patterns on each sheet. i am using it up so i can move on to something different. i am trying to find some good pads for using for practice. any suggestions.
sherry