PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel Sep 11 - 17

Lady Carol
09-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi guys, the ever popular thread for advice or just to chat.

My treat for today was to drive my next door neighbour's Porsche 911 Turbo :eek: . Way, way cool. :D :D :D :D :D

I had 6 days at the beach and the weather was wonderful. I managed to get in some painting time and pushed this along a bit.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/11811-hawk5-small.JPG
but then of course most of it was spent doing beach activities.

mrs willow
09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Carol! This is a littlle bit like a serial! Watching and waiting to see what develops next. You are a "master/mistress of suspense"! Seriously though, this is looking really good! I love the dramatic effect of the light on the water and that brilliant blue is just magic.

Cheers Sandy

Lady Carol
09-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Thank you Sandy. This really is a looooooonnnnggggggg time in the making even for me :eek: I was a little bored of it for a while. But now it is past the really, really ugly stage and just at the ugly stage :D

krystakaye
09-11-2005, 09:35 PM
YIPPIE CAROL! I'm so glad to see you are back to this one! I AM LOVING IT!!!!!!

I started this in last weeks wip, and am done now. I adjusted the greens in the background to match the intensity of the rest of the painting. I also tamed the glare down a bit on the square top glass object, although the original start on that was most like the photo, it was hard to read on the canvas. I see some shapes that could have been different as I downloaded this onto the computer, but I'm not going back in to change them....ready to start on something new...:) The blues on this are not showing up in my photo as intense as they are on the canvas. This is a 18x24 canvas. Ref. Photo is by Dianna Ponting in the ref. lib.

mrs willow
09-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi Krystakaye, This looks like it was fun to paint, especially with those gorgeous colours.(my favourites) I looked up your reference in the image library...you have done very well. :clap: :clap: :clap: It is a big challenge to paint transparent objects and yours look to be excellent.I am looking forward to what you are thinking about painting next.Mine is still in my head...maybe I'll get it out before this thread finishes. :D
Cheers Sandy

krystakaye
09-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks Sandy! I am still so new to all of this painting... I feel like I have to TRY EVERYTHING :) - Not painting long enough to have fears yet is great! LOL The colors were the BIG ATTRACTION in this for me... Thanks for you comments!!!!

Lady Carol
09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Wow Krysta. Beautiful work here. Love the colours and the composition.

krystakaye
09-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Carol, Thank you!

gnu
09-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Krysta, it's awesome!! :clap: :clap:
you've done a fantastic job...
Carol, wowee, this is popping nicely, can't see anything ugly about it!
Here's where I'm at, done a lot of work and alot of OVERwork on those jolly hills!! :mad:
Still have the island to go, maybe a suggestion of a few houses,?? maybe not..
There's a couple of ugly curves, as I say, battle!!
this si so hard to photograph with artificial light so excuse glare and angle, but it's kinda large!
any help appreciated..
I had to resort to a brush for variety over the near hill and those spiky trees.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2005/7242-IMG_8986_bare_is_4_sm.jpg

mrs willow
09-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Gill! You made me laugh re Gill.(ian) being a girl name ....over here too! Boy name is Gil.(bert or lighan??) Your painting is coming along very nicely. Fresh, clean colour and great composition.Thumbs up!! :clap: :clap:
Cheers Sandy

tishtosh
09-12-2005, 08:13 AM
KRYSTAKAYE..........this is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning use of colours.

You have painted a real gem here....i absolutely love it:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
WELL DONE!

tishtosh
09-12-2005, 08:16 AM
LADY CAROL......super picture.....love the blue....can't wait to see this finished!!:clap: :clap:

imlayte
09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Just had to do one more before end of season. Left out about 200 people from this one. This year's umbrella colors are fabulous!

11 x 14 Acrylic on gallery wrap.

Howard L

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2005/21867-DSC02086-1.JPG

bjcpaints
09-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Oh the bar is pretty high here again! Wonderful work - Carol, Glad to see you are back at it - coming along really well! Krystal, I can't believe you haven't been painting your entire life. You are tackling difficult subjects with finesse! Hi Sandy, Will be interesting to see what's in your head! Hi Gill! Looking great! A suggestion of houses would add interest if you are doing an island. Hi Tish Tosh and Welcome. Howard, Very nice beach scene! Love the comp! Mine is a horse I started last night - from the IRL (Thanks Kate Green!) . I will post the WIP tonight!
Barbara

Lady Carol
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Gill (ian): :D looking good. Looking really good. Yeah your siggy line cracked me up too.

tishtosh: thank you for the comments.

howard: wonderful. The colours are just wonderful. Just got back from the beach so this is a very familiar scene. Now it is back to the grind.

Barbara: looking forward to seeing the horse

Charlie's Mum
09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Such exciting paintings folks - Krysta - that's magnificent - beautiful colours and attention to detail.
Howard L - super beach scene - colours are gorgeous - and beautifully painted too.
Gill - it's progressing! - fancy having to resort to the brushes :wink2: :wink2: .

Progress too for you Carol - glad the holiday was fun and weather good for you.
I did this small painting - 9-ish x 7-ish ins on canvas - for my second WDE this week - so it's really just come off the easel!
Still thinking about the inks one! Struggled to get the masking off yesterday.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2005/30494-Red_and_Gold._72dpi.jpg

Lady Carol
09-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Oooh! Maureen, very pretty. I like the angle.

krystakaye
09-12-2005, 02:39 PM
GILL, :clap: That is looking so fabulous! I LOVE IT! Whatever you are doing to that foreground is working! I still haven't tried a knife...I use brushes, fingers...whatever is handy! LOL Thanks for you comments on mine, too :D .

Tishtosh, Thank you! What a nice comment, so very much appreciated! :) You should hang out in here more often! We love the company! :D

Howard, Splendid! :clap: i love the colors and the feel of this...it warms you up to just look at it! GREAT JOB!

Barbara, I look forward to seeing that horse!! Thanks for you comments! Painting every day for the past four months...makes me feel like I have been painting a lifetime in some ways! lol MY MESS LOOKS LIKE IT ANYWAY! :p ha. Still MUCH to learn...much to paint....

Maureen, Spectacular! :clap: Your work always is so captivating. LOVELY!!! Thanks for you comments as well.

I have to share my good news with you all.... Do you remember those rocking chairs I did a couple weeks ago...they were on a front porch, lemonaid beside them....well, I got an email today and someone wants to put my painting on the cover of thier magazine!!!!! Still awaiting details but had to share my news with you all!!! :) :D

gnu
09-12-2005, 03:15 PM
OK I have to say it, Howard that is one of the BEST paintings I have seen for a while., I can't see anything wrong with it! ..Trasparency captured in the umbrella, shade to die for, I can tell colour was your impetous!
Krysta, can't see anythihg wrong in yours either, had to comment again on what an amazing job you did...
Maureen, I like you painting better than the ref...sooo rich..you did well, I don't think I'd have picked this one for it's comp. but you pulled it off..(I've saved a few of those refs for later, other priorities right now...)
Now I see the hills at a distance, I see they're coming along...and I only used the brush on those LITTLE bluey trees dotted around, Nearly resorted to them for the nearby scrubby ones :D
so, how come my paintings all look better at a distance?(many pple have said this lately) is this good or bad? and is it a certain style? anyone feel free to answer any of these.. :D

krystakaye
09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Gill, I don't think that is a bad thing...to look better at a distance- I would imagine working with a knife gives so many textures that one is consumed with admiring HOW you did what you did up close and not the overall image until they step back and see how it comes together....THAT IS CALLED ARTISTIC SKILLS, girl!!! That is a GOOD THING!

(Of course, this comes from someone who feels thier thumbnails of paintings look MUCH better, clearer, crisper, more vibrant..etc... than in the actual size! LOL)

gnu
09-12-2005, 04:00 PM
whew! thanks for that, (even I don't remember doing some of the stuff that happens:D)
just thinking, with your thumbs, this could also be a good thing from the point of view that your compositions must be good, and your contrasts...perhaps all you need to do is punch up the colours in some...there are sooo many things to keep track of...

scandia3815
09-12-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been working on this still life for a couple weeks... about 25 hrs so far... I'm hoping to finish it soon! :)

The wooden shoe has been fun to paint, a parting gift from an ex-girlfriend when I was in the Netherlands. Funny the whole time I've been painting it I've been focused on color shapes, values, etc... and not on the memories. Must mean I've moved on! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/15981-step8.jpg

krystakaye
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Aaron, I have been watching this in progress.... what an excellent job you are doing! Just fabulous! Can't wait to see more! :)

Lady Carol
09-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I have to share my good news with you all.... Do you remember those rocking chairs I did a couple weeks ago...they were on a front porch, lemonaid beside them....well, I got an email today and someone wants to put my painting on the cover of thier magazine!!!!! Still awaiting details but had to share my news with you all!!! :) :D
Hey that is brilliant. What magazine?

mrs willow
09-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Howard: Very colourful and great comp.The figures you left are doing a great job leading the viewer through the painting.
Barbara: At least your horse is progressing...My idea is stuck fast in my head.
Maureen: Beautiful! Rich colour and interesting angle.
Krystakaye: Congratulations re magazine cover...well deserved.
Gill: Coming along beautifully.
Aaron:Great work here. Watching with interest.
I hope that TODAY is my day to get going!!!
Cheers Sandy

krystakaye
09-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Carol, I'm not sure the name of it.... I imagine it is a small town thing- It is in Texas... I have emailed them back, just waiting for all the details... Just thrilled with the idea of getting published!!!!

Sandy, Thank you! Also, I wanted to say thanks for that Yuppo site last week. I had emailed them...got no response until today and there was a sample in my mail box! It feels almost plastic. INTERESTING!

Charlie's Mum
09-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Krysta - that's my feeling with the yupo - like painting on plastic! ......... enjoy it when you try (yuk!!!!!!):D

Aaron - that painting is coming along beautifully - love the folds in the cloth over the table. Glad it's exorcising any sad/bad feelings too ;)

Gill - you're paintings are usually BIG, so they will look better from a distance - where one can appreciate the overall impression. Zooming in on large textural areas will generally mean losing the overall effect all the knife marks make. However, close up allows appreciation of litle nuances of colour mixes within a blade mark.......... so just tell them to view from afar first then go and appreciate the finesse of the work ;););) :D

bjcpaints
09-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Just to round out the scale here is my messy underpainting. I can see a beautiful finished painting in my mind though.
Maureen, I missed the WDE this time - your painting is strikingly gorgeous!!!
Krysta, I am so excited for you - wonderful that you will be published!! I paint everyday too - but I only have 1 hour per day.
Aaron, Your painting is very interesting - comp and colorwise! I like it!
Well, Must get ready for work.
TTYL
Barbara

gnu
09-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Barb, this is going to be good, I can tell...look at the thumb already great comp and BG... :wave:
Krysta, I forgot about the publishing..how cool...
CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap: :clap:

gnu
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Maureen thanks, I'll tell them that ! :D

duranel
09-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Wow - there is some gorgeous work on this forum!!!

I've never posted on this forum before, but I'm playing with a series in acrylic and thought I'd throw it out there...

The first is just the drafts of the 4 pictures... they're all 9x12 canvas on board...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/22227-Leg_Series_Progress_1.JPG

Next is a progress shot... I'm going for a pop art look - I think I'm gonna lighten up the background colors as well as the main skirt color and the leg shadows to enhance the contrast...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/22227-Leg_Series_Progress_2.JPG

Let me know what you think -

mrs willow
09-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi duranel! I am glad you posted. These are a really great idea, totally different and progressing well. I agree with your intentions as to the finish. looking forward to more :clap: :clap:
Sandy

krystakaye
09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Maureen, I have company so I have been an ENTIRE DAY AND A HALF WITHOUT PAINTING...starting my withdrawals!!! I will try the yuppo, I have several others lined up first though. I like painting on smooth wood surfaces and am wondering if it will be similar...we'll see!

Barb, This is looking great!!! I understand about one hour a day... I do get to paint more frequently but have to take my time where I can sneak it in! lol. One hour here, one hour there...then when the baby goes to bed... it is MY TIME! lol. I can't wait to see this when you get it finished. Make sure you post!!!! DON'T LEAVE US HANGING! :)

Welcome Duranel! Glad you found us!!! I am loving this series...how fun! I look forward to seeing the finish as well as more of your things!!! Glad you came to join in! (We also see that you (?) crochet or knit, too! :) I crochet baby blankets, but anything larger I attempt I get bored...lol I have several throws started...they currently look like VERY LONG neck scarves! lol )

wintersrose
09-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Hello All!

Wow! You guys have a lot of beautiful artwork on this post. :clap:
It all makes my latest WIP look blah, lol.

Anyway, just thought I'd post what I've got so far. I'm anxious to get this one done. I was getting frustrated for a while because I couldn't get the lines right, My hands were really unsteady! Finally seems to be coming together, though and I'm getting more enthusiastic about it. Have a couple of corrections to make to adjust the perspective. It will probably be a little off because I just pulled this one out of my head with no reference photo to go by, so I'm just guessing on some things. Let me know what you think, I always appreciate your comments! Oh, by the way, this is on 8x10 canvas with Blick Artist's Acrylic.
:music:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/67627-piano_ptg.jpg

Lady Carol
09-13-2005, 10:07 PM
HELP

So, what do you do when you can't get motivated? I usually do not worry about it and tell myself why put THAT much pressure on myself (I have enough at work).....but having had the opportunity to paint last week during daylight hours...AKA the bird at the top of the page.....I am now at a loss as I am back home. Can't paint the darn thing at night cause the lighting is really bad....so twiddling the thumbs and it is driving me nuts. Had a look in the reference library at I just get overwhelmed by all the photos and ultimately somewhat numb to them. So how do you get over a mental block?

mrs willow
09-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Welcome Wintersrose! Glad you are joining us. At least you are painting something,and doing it very well too!
Carol: I am in a similar state to what you describe....I don't know how to get out of it ...but one day the cloud lifts and off I go again. I think it is all part of the creative process.
Yesterday, I played about with Yupo again.I didn't get very much out of it ...but at least I did do something. I am still not sure about this Yupo stuff! I put some paint layers down, used the hair dryer which blew the paint in little rivers. I like the richness of the colour but that's about it! I am thinking though, that I might build up a few more layers and get a bit more movement into it.....a la Jackson Pollock!
What do you think? Feel free to comment.It is only small 8" x 8" Acrylic http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/41548-Electrical_email.jpg & inks
Sandy

wintersrose
09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Sandy. I think your painting is looking very good. I wish I had some advice for you, but, to be honest, this is the first I've ever heard of that technique. I really like the colors you're using and the contrast between the "random" swirls in front and the brushed circles in back creates a lot of visual stimulation. I think the effect in the upper RH corner where the turquoise and white blend is fascinating. It has a very luminous quality to it.

Carol: I know what you mean about the creative block. It happens to me frequently. At the moment I have more ideas than I have time to do, but it certainly isn't always like that. I find that stepping back from the project completely for a few hours (or whatever it takes) and focusing on something else helps to stimulate my creativity. I like to read and play piano and when I do other hobbies such as these, ideas just seem to pop into my head. I think relaxation is key, otherwise, when all you do is think about a project, you have to much "clutter" in your brain and you don't know where to start. I often find myself coming up with my best ideas when I'm trying to get to sleep and I'd rather not think about ANYTHING!, lol. I also tend to have very vivid dreams, and if I can remember them, sometimes that helps, too.

Sorry for being a bit windy, but I hope some of this may help a little!

Rosalie

mrs willow
09-14-2005, 01:20 AM
Thank you for your kind words too Rosalie.To be perfectly honest I am not naturally an abstract painter, although I do admire those who are.So I haven't a clue what (if anything) I will do with these Yupo paintings.The luminous colour effects are due to the way the paint sits on the surface of Yupo. There is no absorbency. I also had a "play" with watercolour on Yupo and I actually think it makes more interesting effects. I don't think I like the yupo enough to keep on using it in any meaningful way....but it is a bit of fun!
I will upload the watercolour version and you can see what you think.
Cheers http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/41548-Beginnings.email.jpg Sandy
Ps I just realized it looks a little like Father Christmas!!!

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Carol: I am in a similar state to what you describe....I don't know how to get out of it ...but one day the cloud lifts and off I go again. I think it is all part of the creative process.
Yesterday, I played about with Yupo again.I didn't get very much out of it ...but at least I did do something. I am still not sure about this Yupo stuff! I put some paint layers down, used the hair dryer which blew the paint in little rivers. I like the richness of the colour but that's about it! I am thinking though, that I might build up a few more layers and get a bit more movement into it.....a la Jackson Pollock!

Sandy
Sandy, thanks for the thoughts. Had a go also with YUPO recently but it was with watercolours. Must say I feel the same way about it as you do. Quite seriously I could leave it at the moment, the experience wasn't enjoyable enough for me to revisit it.

It looks as though you had fun here.

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Carol: I know what you mean about the creative block. It happens to me frequently. At the moment I have more ideas than I have time to do, but it certainly isn't always like that. I find that stepping back from the project completely for a few hours (or whatever it takes) and focusing on something else helps to stimulate my creativity. I like to read and play piano and when I do other hobbies such as these, ideas just seem to pop into my head. I think relaxation is key, otherwise, when all you do is think about a project, you have to much "clutter" in your brain and you don't know where to start. I often find myself coming up with my best ideas when I'm trying to get to sleep and I'd rather not think about ANYTHING!, lol. I also tend to have very vivid dreams, and if I can remember them, sometimes that helps, too.

Sorry for being a bit windy, but I hope some of this may help a little!

Rosalie
Hi Rosalie: well I think that may be the problem. I have more ideas than I can poke a stick at. Even other things that I really enjoy doing such as reading and horse riding don't solve it.

Methinks I have to solve the lighting issue and get back to the bird. Find some way to make it fit on the easel (currently too large) where the lighting is good. I may be able to modify the easel....?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Sandy: the second one I like better. It looks more like a river delta.

duranel
09-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the nice comments! Here's another progress shot - worked on the shoes and started on the white work - then on to all of the adjustments...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/22227-Leg_Series_Progress_2.JPG

(I can't take credit for the knitting and crocheting... That's my wife's work - speaking of which, here she is with the new footstool I just made her - the sides tip out for her to store all of the yarn, etc....)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/22227-Chrissy.JPG

Charlie's Mum
09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome to duranel - and his lady wife! :D
That series looks interesting - like the queue outside the Ladies Loo!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
sorry to lower the tone ;)

Carol - sometimes a change of medium will do the trick because you'll need to think differently. Sometimes a complete break is needed!

KRYSTA - I'm so sorry I missed out on the congratulations - thought I'd mentioned it! Anyway - lots of kudos to you :D

Rosalie - the piano keys are taking shape, but I think you may need to address the perspective of them before doing much more - the lines should be angling more towards the left as they move away from the viewer. It would be a shame to get most of it done and still feel there was something not quite right! :D

Sandy- I'm with you about the yupo - a bit of fun, but not to be taken seriously at all I think! Having said that, I like your Maelstrom in a Fantasy Forest! ... and the second in w/c. I think the surface is better suited to abstract.

Krysta - believe me, it IS NOT like painting on any other surface you've tried - unless you've tried greasy glass!!!!!!!

Here's a little one I did on yupo at the w/end - definitely as an experiment - totally out of control!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/30494-yupo_still_life.jpg

Acrylic inks, about 7x5 ins or thereabouts!

lani noa
09-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Carol, it may be ugly to you but already can see the majesty of the piece and the movement. Can't wait to see it as it progressess.
Krysta, well done. A very good use of color and depth.
Gill, the scene is coming along nicely. A very familiar scene here in Hawaii. I too constantly battle with the photographing thing. Wish there was a really easy way to get a picture of acrylics without the glare.
Howard, Wow, love the colors. The water is perfect. I can actually feel like I am at the shore.

gnu
09-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Sandy, they look like blood vessels of the brain!! :eek: cool lighting effect though. IN the secon one I see a profile of someone looking down and to the left, but not Father Christmas..too pretty! :D
Maureen, that looks awesome! you controlled it well I thought...
Duranel your pop art is a giggle..kind of innocent looking..welcome here..nice stool also. :)
Winterose paino great..is it the top line you're correcting, it is off a little in perspective?
Carol, can you suspend your artwork? or perhap rest it on something on the floor in front of your easel..?
when I paint at present(same light troubles as you), I put my spotlight on (daylight bulb- white light), as long as I know the colours Im using, I adjust to the slight colour changes. (Hubby says I'm interrogating the bird!, he's right behind my easel! :D:D:D). I've never had a block as such, but I also try to always have a 'next painting' or 'next technique to try' in my head so I always have something to try. Maybe the secret is to set a time to finish(roughly) and always have something ready for another painting(canvas and ref and paint) I have to finish two by October, so I have a deadline and it MAKES me ignore what I feel like and go do it. :) now hurry up, because WE want to see this bird in all it's glory and it WILL be glorious! :D

bjcpaints
09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=gnu I've never had a block as such, but I also try to always have a 'next painting' or 'next technique to try' in my head so I always have something to try. Maybe the secret is to set a time to finish(roughly) and always have something ready for another painting(canvas and ref and paint) I have to finish two by October, so I have a deadline and it MAKES me ignore what I feel like and go do it. :) now hurry up, because WE want to see this bird in all it's glory and it WILL be glorious! :D[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Gill - Of course, unfinished projects are my pet peeve. Believe it or not, Miss Moxie, the collie I painted with a knife in your class, is still on a large easel in my kitchen. Since the ref pic was a year old; DH thought I should try to bring it up to her current age/colors, etc. so I am still pecking away. Determined to finish and keep it "special ". I will be re-posting that when I get it done. :)
Carol, I work on several projects at once. One is drying and I am on to the next. 5 is the usual # I have going. I also set deadlines. I hope you find something that motivates you. Sometimes if I am too tired to paint, I look through painting magazines or books and before I know it ; I am dying to paint again! Hope this helps a little.
Barbara

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Carol - sometimes a change of medium will do the trick because you'll need to think differently. Sometimes a complete break is needed!

I have signed up for a watercolour course that starts at the end of the month. I hope that helps.

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Maureen: wonderful painting. These are inks? I gotta try inks. You make it look so beautiful.

Misty: thanks for the support and the kind comments.

:D Female Gill: :D yeah I have to try something to get it sorted out. I did try different lighting but found with it hanging on the wall that I always worked in my shadow. The best lighting I have is at the breakfast bar so I am going to have to find out how to get it so that I can paint there again.

I also have a work issue (since March) and although the end is insight and I have a new job that has been lined up since July but the contract is long in negotiating (I am a Professor at a University in Philly). My current job I no longer find to be fun nor do I want to be at. I am sure that this affects my painting motivation. Work is depressing. It sucks. And knowing I am leaving but just waiting for that day is really hard. Basically from March the painting motivation dropped off. And now I am really struggling.

The bird will be good when finished. I know that. :p Ooh! What a conceited comment :evil:

Barbara: I did try two at once but I like the other one so much that I knocked it off in a day and that was the end of that.

wintersrose
09-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey, Carol. Good luck with your new job! I hope everything works out for you soon. I can speak from experience that being in a job that you don't like is an awful situation. Not only is it mentally stressful, but physically as well. The last job I had that I didn't like, I suffered from terrible chronic back pain and fatigue which had no explanation other than stress. Within a couple of days of quitting that job I felt as good as new! Hence, I now have my own business, and I wouldn't have it any other way! :clap: Anyway, I wish you all the best and hang in there! There is no better feeling and sense of relief than when you finally get out of a job you don't like.

Rosalie :music:

gaykir
09-14-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/56079-Drummer_Jeff3.jpg
I started this some time ago and just got back to it today so it's been on my easel forever. It is the third in a Jazz series for my son. Has a way to go and the photo is not great but you can get the gist of it. C & C welcome!
Gayle

lani noa
09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
This is what is on my easle presently, it is a stand of Rainbow Eucalyptus. They are the most beautiful trees. I still have a ways to go on this one, but I'm having fun just starting to play with it. I started it yesterday and for the first time tried using masking. A little tricky, but it worked to a large extent. Can't get real crisp edges with it though. Perhaps some of you have used this with acrylic and have some tips.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/63271-Eucalyptus_1.jpg

lani noa
09-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Gayle, really like you drummer. You can actually hear the cymbals ringing. Great colors.

wintersrose
09-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Misty: Love your painting so far. Incredible detail in the background. What are you painting on and what size? Also, what do you use for masking and what is your process for doing it? I've tried some very simple masking but I wasn't happy with the results (jagged edges) and don't even know if I was using the right material or going about it correctly. So, if anybody has some advice or know of a tutorial, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Good luck! I'm anxious to see the finished painting.

Gayle: Great composition on your jazz painting, I love the expression on the drummer's face, nice detail. Good luck with the lighting/colors. I've done some low-light pics and they are hard to get the contrast and color right, but looks like you have a great handle on it!

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Rosalie: you are right. There is nothing worse than a job you are unhappy with. It is stressful particularly keeping up the front of being happy and playing the political games that are required. I am sooooo tired of it.

Gayle: interesting composition. Very striking :D

lani: this is looking good. What sort of masking did you use? Masking fluid or tape?

lani noa
09-14-2005, 11:07 PM
The painting is 24"x36" on gallary stretched canvas.
I used masking fluid, and just as Rosalie got jagged edges, I got jagged edges in some areas. I realized that the places I got the most jagged edges was where either the masking fluid was too thin or the acrylic had been allow to really dry. Using an eraser on it helped. The problem with acrylic appears to be that it is elastic and stretches and therefore does not break where the masking is.

krystakaye
09-15-2005, 04:32 AM
HI ALL! Just a quick jump in to wish you all well today. Some great stuff happening in here! I'll jump back in soon!

gaykir
09-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your comments Winterose & Lady Carol. I have a long way to go be be very good but I just keep at it.

Lani Noa, I love your eucalyptas ! I'm always amazed at smooth surfaces - the only other smooth one I know is crape myrlte. You've captured it so well!
Gayle

Christer
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM
First post here. Did this awhile back, busy sculpting the last few weeks. Just getting back to brushes.

wintersrose
09-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Chrismal: Nice painting! Great detail overall. The field and trees remind me of my parents' place in northern MN. :)

Charlie's Mum
09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Christer - welcome ........ please bring more of your paintings, this is lovely - the paint is beautifully handled.

Nice paintings everyone - sorry I haven't time tonight to delve further ;)

Lady Carol
09-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Christer: love it. Beautiful detail

lani noa
09-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I finally got back to the brushes. The surf has really been crashing here for a few days, an unusual southern swell, so I have spent every spare minute I had getting reference shots.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/63271-Eucalyptus_2.jpg I have placed the first image in the attachment for reference purposes since some people have asked to be able to follow along with these paintings.

lani noa
09-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Okay, moving right along ...starting to feel all alone here. Anyway, here's the next stage of the painting, at least where I thought it was a good place to stop and get a picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/63271-Eucalyptus_3.jpg

wintersrose
09-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey lani noa,

Looking great! I like how you build color. I should take lessons from you on how to do that cuz I still have a loooong way to go, lol.

gnu
09-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Misty, I'm in awe of your amazing background and earth portrayal! Also pleased to see A lttlie hint of more texture on the trees, though I know how smooth the trunks can be in this species(genus?)
lovely...