PDA

View Full Version : Summer Beach Life ACEO/ATC 2.5x3.5" Acrylic

champagneharley
09-11-2005, 01:40 PM
This is my latest of these addictive, collectible art cards.
2.5x3.5" on canvas-paper. Liquitex.
I didn't use any special small brushes, I wanted an impressionistic look to it.
I love it. I'll list it for auction tonight, but if it doesn't sell, I've already decided to keep it.
Not that it is just so wonderful artwork, just that it really appeals to me. I think I managed to capture the feeling of the 100 degree day, which it was.
The beach? Adelaide (Grange), South Australia - the 2 story building is the 'Marines' built approx 1898.
~Jillian
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/4588-ACEO-A078-BchLife-sm.jpg

bullyluvver
09-11-2005, 03:23 PM
WOW Jillian! This is stunning!!!

Gail

champagneharley
09-11-2005, 05:08 PM
:) Thank you Gail

Regards,
Jillian

valchina612
09-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh wow Jillian, you are really talking my language now -- the Grange Beach, and Marines Building. Beautiful painting and many happy memories area.
Did you ever visit the Brighton beach very much? That was our favourite one when I lived in Adelaide, and also our closest. West Beach was always popular too. When I was a little kid my family had a beach shack at Henley Beach. Lotsa great memories you've sparked from this lovely painting.

I'm taking part in a Porcelain Art Exhibition at the Ramada Grand, Glenelg for a week in mid October -- it's an Australasian Exhibition, with all States of Australia represented, as well as New Zealand. It will be a very grand affair, and I am looking so forward to it -- haven't got my pieces finished yet for it -- will probably be taking the last piece out of the kiln with big thick oven gloves on the morning of set-up day :eek: Well, I really hope it doesn't happen that way, but I know it does for some people.

Val. :wave:

champagneharley
09-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Oh Val, the exhibition at Glenelg sounds great.
I remember that as the 'Pier' Hotel. I was Miss Pier hotel at one stage when an entrant in the Miss Australia Quest. HAHAHAHHA!

Glad you love this work. Grange is 'my' beach. I grew up the next block down - by Beach Street, on Seaview Road. The Marines always was a landmark. Just a couple of houses towards the hotel Ronald Biggs the Great Train Robber lived when he was hiding out in Adelaide - before running off to Brazil - he was a regular drinker at the Grange Pub. :)
I remember all the shacks. I can also remember days as a kid when people would go sleep on the beach at night during heat waves as noone had airconditioning. You could hardly walk on the beach because of the bodies lying everywhere. I had childhood friends at Brighton, so went there a little.
Henley and Grange being my hang outs mainly, as I had family also in Henley - just a mile from Grange.
I always have loved West Beach. A suburb, but kind of isolated. A mixture of lovely houses as well as modular 'shacks' - loved going to the drive-in there, one of the state's first. I opened my art gallery there in 2000. I got to love many of the people there, and the life-style. :)
Regards,
Jillian

valchina612
09-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Jillian, this is really interesting to hear you were Miss Pier Hotel -- they used to serve great meals, and it was a good place to cool off on a really hot day.
I know Beach Road and Seaview Road really well, as I had to travel Seaview Road a lot when I lived and worked in Adelaide. I can't remember seeing Ronald Biggs though as I was travelling around that area -- what memories!!!!!!!!!
The beaches were always crowded with sleeping bodies on hot nights many years ago. It sure wouldn't be safe to do it nowadays, which is sad.
I reckon I can remember when you opened your art gallery at West Beach -- was it on West Beach Road? I just feel I can remember seeing a write up about it, or Ads or something similar. Have you still got it, or did you sell it to go the the US permanently?

Well, it's 12.30 a.m., and as soon as my kiln has finished firing, I am off to hit the hay.

Good to catch up.
Val. :wave:

champagneharley
09-12-2005, 12:50 PM
My grandfather owned much of Grange at one stage. He was a builder. He built and lived in house in Jetty Street. My aunt later had a house next door. He built our house up on Seaview Rd, by beach street, and one for his brother there, too. We had views from the back yard over the city. When he needed money, he just sold another block of land.
The houses on Seaview Rd are 1920s built.
Yes, my gallery was just up from the life savers shed. Walking distance from the beach, and unfortunately where that teen was taken by a shark Xmas 2003. :(
Last I saw, my sign was still on the verandah, but the fish and chip shop had extended over into my 'gallery'. I had to sell up.
I had a lot of write ups. I know the locals adored having a gallery there. Many visited while waiting on hambergers, steak sandwiches and chips. :)
:)
~Jillian

Bertoni
09-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Jillian:
This is so good! WOWee! :clap: I marvel at how you got all that wonderful detail in that small space. It's a beauty! :)

marilyn h
09-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Now this was fun hearing about the memories of this beach and your lives on the beach.

What a darling card. So "tiny" and detailed. Love it.

champagneharley
09-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Jillian:
This is so good! WOWee! :clap: I marvel at how you got all that wonderful detail in that small space. It's a beauty! :)
Well, I guess what gets me, is that I could have put in MUCH more detail and much finer detail, but chose not to.
it paid off I feel, as I got exactly what I wanted.
I am unashamedly in love with my own artwork in this case.
:)
Thank you Bertoni ... ever supportive :)
~Jillian

champagneharley
09-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Now this was fun hearing about the memories of this beach and your lives on the beach.

What a darling card. So "tiny" and detailed. Love it.
Fun memories. :)

Thank you SO much!
Regards,
~Jillian

jody007
09-30-2005, 08:53 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with everyone here beautiful painting lovely memories!

Jody :D

champagneharley
09-30-2005, 09:49 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with everyone here beautiful painting lovely memories!

Jody :D

Thanks Jody.
This 'worked' for me. :)
Regards,
Jillian

Deb Leger
10-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Love this Jillian. (And, :( , I missed it on ebay!) Lovely and soft!

Deb

champagneharley
10-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Love this Jillian. (And, :( , I missed it on ebay!) Lovely and soft!

Deb

Thanks Deb.
It certainly is a favourite of mine. Captures the shimmer of a 100 degree day. I have mixed feelings as it didn't sell on ebay. I priced it a little higher, as it is a good artwork, so whether that was the problem, I don't know. I said that if it didn't sell, I'd keep it, but also I'm so funny - the mixed feelings come from ... oh, noone thought enough of it to buy it. HAHAHAHAHA!

~Jillian