PDA

View Full Version : Pastels DVD's

jackiesimmonds
09-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Does anyone here know if a DVD produced in the UK will work on US DVD machines? I imagine DVD's are universal, but would like to be sure. Videos aren't, there is a different format over here.

It would be great if DVD's are universal, because the publishers of my vids have transferred them to DVD - without telling me, mind you! I only just spotted it in their catalogue, and I feel very frustrated, it is Sunday so I cannot ring and ask them!

If you guys tell me they are universal, I will put some details into my forum.

J

Ron Biggs
09-11-2005, 05:40 AM
Hi Jackie,

DVDís have regional settings. Unless your DVD player is set up for multiple region, then only DVDís bought in your area will work.

Have a look HERE (http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm).

jackiesimmonds
09-11-2005, 05:54 AM
thanks Ron. Seems like I will have to wait to hear from Teaching Art whether they have made sure that the DVD's will work in the US, before I start to offer them to my US friends!

Jackie

khourianya
09-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Canada is considered the same region as the US, so I do hope they will release them for us!!!

Bringer
09-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi,

There are several regions. But mainly two.
USA - Region 1
Europe - Region 2

Then there are others but can't remember how many.

When DVD players came out they would read only one region.
This was mainly to avoid that europeans would buy movies from USA before getting edited in Europe or even going into cinema.
Nowadays tough, DVD players are usualy universal and those that aren't usualy can be switched to. Either internally either introducing some codes in the remote control like the Harman Kardon. I have a Yamaha that I bought in 2003 and it's universal.
One more thing : tapes may not be universal but that does not mean that the videorecorder cannot read. I have a Toshiba that can read PAL, NTSC and SECAM.
Now a small joke : NTSC : Never Twice Same Colour :-)
Was this confusing ? :-)

Regards,

Josť

Khadres
09-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I wish they'd get over this separate format stuff! There are so many cool videos on offer in Britain, but we in the US can't use them on our machines. I was hoping DVDs had done away with such nonsense! grrrrr

Bringer
09-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi Khadres,

Why don't you check if your player can be twitched (spell ?) ?

Regards,

Josť

arsinoť
09-11-2005, 06:19 PM
DVD region settings are made on request of the DVD owner essentially to protect different film selling policy.
I don't think that kind of thing apply to your DVDs, unless the publishers have a different selling policy in the US and in the UK.
Region-free DVDs can be made and they could have chosen this option.

jackiesimmonds
09-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Well, it appears you are all right. According to the publishers, my DVD's won't play on US DVD machines. They do say that they have someone in the US converting and distributing, so perhaps if you all write to this guy and tell him that while he is converting other DVD's from Teaching ARt, could he please consider the Jackie Simmonds ones! His email is [email protected]

So daft, I too wonder why they didn't consider Region-Free DVD's.

J

jackiesimmonds
09-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Have now been told that one can watch these DVD's on a PC, just not on a TV in the USA.
Well, better than nothing.

For information, please go see my forum, the thread entitled
"New DVD's"