PDA

View Full Version : The Rainbow Connection Rose WIP

painterbear
09-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I started this painting in my class last Thursday after drawing it at home. I thought I'd post it as a work-in-progress to give me incentive to keep plugging away at it. I have no idea how it is going to turn out, but here goes anyway. ;)

Reference: Two of Stephi 20's white rose macro photos from the Wash on 1 September. Thanks a million, Stephi for the inspiration. As we all know, there is a rainbow of colors in a white flower. :)

Size: roughly 8.5" x 11.5"
Paper: Arches 140 Coldpressed
Paints: All artist grade: Holbein Naples Yellow; WN Quinacridone Gold, Winsor Red, Antwerp Blue; Daniel Smith Undersea Green

These are a little darker than they are IRL. I adjusted them down so you could see the pale washes. Most of the light area is the white of the untouched paper. I'm trying to keep this painting fairly high key because it is a white rose. ;)

Comments and critique are welcome, as always.

Sylvia

I started with an underpainting of the palest washes, putting them on the drawing where I saw those particular colors. This is mainly to get something down on paper and trying to focus on color, not values at this stage. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2005/9833-roseunderpainting.jpeg

Adding some of the shaded tones and shaping some of the petals. There is a pale yellow in the center of this flowers (in addition to the deep orange of the stamen [or are they the pistels?]) that seems to be glowing. I'm trying to keep that showing as I add deeper tones. Also need to keep in mind that the light is coming from the upper left so I don't lose that. This is where I am right now. Be back when I add more color. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2005/9833-rosestep2.jpeg

juneto
09-10-2005, 01:01 PM
It's looking Good Syl . You always to justice to a Painting . Quit worrying.
June :wave:

ponting
09-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Your off to a great start Sylvia....will be watching this one.
Cheers, Dianna

leverettfinn
09-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Sylvia...I love the subtle clean color! Beautiful start!

Lauren

painterbear
09-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for looking and your encouraging comments June, Dianna, and Lauren.

I've managed to blow the last two paintings I've worked on, so I'm a little shading in the confidence area right now. But I will keep plugging away because so far I'm content with it.

:)

Sylvia

Lynn Quinn
09-10-2005, 06:59 PM
This is looking very pretty already! I'll be watching.

pampe
09-10-2005, 07:25 PM
pretty start...yum

laudesan
09-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Pulling up a chair..:)

JustjoGA
09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Sylvia... these two photos are very dark on my screen,
but I put one in my photo program, lightened and brightened,
and voila!!! It's gorgeous already... Looking forward to your
next steps and finish!!

Jo in Georgia

painterbear
09-11-2005, 04:53 AM
Lynn, Pam, JJ, and Jo, Thanks for your kind words. I'll try to work on it some more today.

Jo, IRL it is brighter, I was afraid the light colors wouldn't show up so I darkened them. Probably too much though, on the next one I'll try to get closer to the original. ;)

Sylvia

leverettfinn
09-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Go Sylvia Go....push push :wave:

painterbear
09-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the push, Lauren. ;) I actually did some more washes today. LOL! I think I've avoided the center of the flower about as long as I can. Since I hope it will be the Focal Point, I want to make that area really stand out. I've been trying things on scrap paper but haven't hit on the formula yet. So, I worked on all the rest of the petals instead. Here is where it stands at this time. Sorry for the reflection bounce off the flash.

Sylvia

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/9833-rose3.jpeg

Strawberry Wine
09-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Looking good so far Sylvia. Love the colours you are placing in this white flower. Maybe next pic it could be a bit larger and up the levels in your image program.

Cheers,

Gail

DominicM
09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
ok - so white isnt white - pulling up a chair :D

Becky-Bob
09-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Ohhhhhh how GORGEOUS!! Now, why can't I do that!

:clap: :clap:

painterbear
09-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Gail, Will make the next photo larger and try to pump it up a little. Although I really am keeping this fairly pale. ;)

Dominic, When you really, really look closely at those white flowers, there are a lot of colors in them. :D

Becky, You are a sweetheart! Your white flowers in your signature line are lovely too.

Sylvia

CharM
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Sheesh, Syl... I darned near missed this!!! I LOVE that white isn't white!!! Have you seen Ann Pember's paintings??? She does most white florals and they are nowhere near white!!!

This is really coming along beautifully... you definitely have a winner in the making...

olika
09-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Coming along great, Sylvia! You are getting great form on the petals! :D :D

Celeste McCall
09-12-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm looking forward to the finished painting. ;) :) :)

stephie20
09-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Sylvia.......your painting is looking absolutely gorgeous....and I love what you're doing with the whites.......it's what I saw and prompted me to photograph them....have about 100 more if you decide to do a collection :D ....Thank you for using my photo as a ref, I'm truely honoured :) .......am really looking forward to seeing more of this

maryrose
09-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Sylvia...great progress on this!

I'm reminded of a great oil painting I saw at the Worcester Museum, Frank Benson's (American Impressionist) "3 Daughters". The girls are in the sun in long white dresses. I was amazed at the abundance of color in his whites. I get that same excitement when I look at your rose! You must be pleased with your effort...you've managed to keep a good balance :) Sunlight captured!!

painterbear
09-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Many thanks for checking out my painting, gals. ;)

Char, I haven't seen Anne Pember's work, but will definitely take a gander (as soon as I have time to breathe, today is a busy, busy day for me. :rolleyes:)

Olika, I'm having fun trying to give them form and still stay high-key.

Celeste, Thanks for watching, hope I make it worthwhile for you. LOL! ;)

Stephie, I was going to send you a PM to tell you I was using your rose reference photo, but didn't want to disturb you while you recuperate. I'm so glad you felt well enough to check my painting. {{{Stephie}}
I loved the color in your photos and mainly I've been trying to capture it in this painting—especially the glow in the center.

Maryrose, I'm taking my time trying to keep the soft palette and the glow in the center that I saw in Stephie's photos.

I had an instructor once who helped me with another painting I was working on by pointing out the colors she saw in the reference photo. I was amazed because I hadn't noticed them! Since then I've tried looking very hard to "see" all the colors there are, especially in white flowers, dresses, curtains, clouds, etc.

I'm taking this into art class this afternoon to work on. Maybe I'll actually get it finished. Cross your fingers. ;)

Sylvia

jaydiva
09-13-2005, 04:42 AM
squeezin' in the back row....
Can't believer i've almost missed out on this one!!

All those colours!! This is looking great already!!
Thanks, Sylvia for showing us how you do these :clap:

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

my new fineart website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

Becky-Bob
09-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Just rechecking. Can't wait to see more....and more. ;)

LKrieger
09-13-2005, 03:34 PM
This is just beautiful Sylvia.

painterbear
09-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Jutta, Glad to see you there. ;)

Becky, I've been running around like a chicken without a head today so haven't had to put any more washes on. Hope to have more time tomorrow.

Lois, Many thanks, nice of you to pop in. :)

Sylvia

Strawberry Wine
09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Sylvia, I meant to ask you before. Is this one of Stephie's images in the RIL or one she posted in the wash??? The ones in the RIL dont seem to have this wonderful shadow colour in them.

Cheers,

Gail

painterbear
09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Gail,
She posted a couple of photos of this rose in the Wash on 1 September or thereabouts.

Sylvia

tep394
09-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Sylvia: This is shaping up to be a great one. Looking forward to the next installment.

CharM
09-16-2005, 08:15 AM
...ummmm.... waiting... :D

tep394
09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Get crackin', Sylvia. The expectation is killing us.

nes7827
09-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Syvlia, I've heard of coffee breaks, but this is something else...somebody slip you a mickey? heh heh Looks great so far, will be back to check it out

olliewood0702
09-16-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry I've missed this Sylvia...but it's looking WONDERFUL so far. I keep forgetting to check this forum.

painterbear
09-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Sorry Tom, Char, Nick, and Darla for taking so long to come back. I was hoping to finish it but things kept getting in the way. So, today I DID it! I put my painting first for a change. Here are the last two steps for my rose. I probably should have started with the seed area in the lower left quadrant instead of leaving it to the end. It was fun getting my brushes wet again, but I don't think I did Stephie's magnificent photo justice. This is my version of a high-key painting. ;) LOL! Fookie wouldn't recognize it as one though because I still managed to get some darks in there, didn't I. :oops:

The penultimate step first: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/9833-rosestep4.jpeg

The finished painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/9833-finalrose.jpeg

Strawberry Wine
09-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Sylvia; It is beautiful !!! You did it justice!!! :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Gail

P.S. Thanks for helping me find Stephie's ref. I have saved it for another time.

jaydiva
09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Fabulous, Sylvia!!
i like those tender coulours

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

my new fineart website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

Becky-Bob
09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Wow woman!! This is just terrific! Your WIP was super/duper delicious! You make it look so easy...but I know it is not. :clap: :clap:

laudesan
09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Luscious Sylvia. This has to be your best g/f..

Pity it wasn't full sheet. Oh Wow..

painterbear
09-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words Gail, Jutta, Becky, and JJ.

I am happy with parts of this painting—managed to keep the light, glowing effect in the center of the flower that I was trying for, but unhappy with other parts—didn't make the transitions between light and shaded areas of each petal gradual enough.

I should have PLANNED my painting better, I know now. Maybe next one I'll think of it first instead of last. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for following along and being so nice. :D

Sylvia

rue d'oak
09-17-2005, 01:12 AM
I think I've avoided the center of the flower about as long as I can. Since I hope it will be the Focal Point, I want to make that area really stand out. I've been trying things on scrap paper but haven't hit on the formula yet. So, I worked on all the rest of the petals instead.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/9833-rose3.jpeg
Sylvia,
thanks for describing your steps, and where the challenges are. It helps me look at what you post with more understanding, not to mention all that I learn! You are right about this being a RAINBOW! I look forward to it as it progresses.
Jen

painterbear
09-17-2005, 04:11 AM
Jen,
I think we must have cross-posted. Thanks for looking. I wish I had planned my colors and design more thoroughly like you are doing in the Florence rooftops painting.

There actually are more soft colors in my final painting but the camera didn't pick them all up. One of these days I'll learn how to use it correctly. ;)

Sylvia

CharM
09-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Syl! It's about time you posted your BIG finish! :D Seriously... it's absolutely beautiful... Your image seemed a little dark, so I auto-adjusted it... I hope your don't mind... it does show off all that beautiful colour...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2005/20514-9833-finalrose.jpg

And... please don't feel you didn't do justice to Stephie's photograph... you did... and MORE... frame this.

painterbear
09-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Char,

I don't know how you did that, but that is much more like the painting colors IRL (except the center is not quite so glowing orange ;)). The petals do show the colors now. Many, many thanks for adjusting it.

:D

Sylvia

Lynn Quinn
09-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Sylvia, for doing this WIP. I've been wanting to try this sort of thing, so I will be referring back to this! Lovely finish!

madmum
09-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Gorgeous!!!!!!! I love the colours in this, and they're not easy to combine without making mud (or green!) Well done Sylvia! :clap: Merit point coming (and overdue).

Ruth

painterbear
09-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Lynn,
Thanks for the nice comment. One of my instructors showed me how to really "see" colors in my photo reference. Before, I just looked at the body color and thought about that, now I look for purple, blue, pink, yellow, etc. Try really looking at a photo just for the colors you see in it. It helps to blow it up on screen if possible.

Ruth,
You are so kind. Many thanks for the handclaps and the thought of a Merit Point, I appreciate that so much. (I see the buttons have disappeared, they must have read your comment. :evil: LOL!).

I'm drawing up an architectural painting for my Monday class now. I'm in my element but there is so much detail in the drawing. Hope I get it all right perspective-wise. :o

Sylvia

tep394
09-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Sylvia: Excellent finish. This is one of your best. You've handled the whites perfectly.

painterbear
09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks Tom for your kind words. I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. :D

Sylvia

artmom
09-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Sylvia, beautiful finish on this! :)

Lyn

painterbear
09-22-2005, 05:22 AM
Thanks, Lyn, glad you like it.

Sylvia

Ze Artiste
09-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Beautiful, Sylvia! I had started this one myself before I saw your WIP, but guess where mine ended up...in the trash. I actually used both sides of the paper before I gave up. You accomplished what I was hoping for. Great job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

painterbear
09-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Joyce. Put the reference aside for a little while and give it another try. It is a beautiful rose with lots of exciting color in it.

Sylvia

Yorky
09-25-2005, 03:56 AM
It's beautiful, Sylvia. So many colours in there!

BTW if you install the Photoshop Elements I sent you, the Auto Adjustment is a single click ;)

Doug

painterbear
09-25-2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks, Doug, I'm glad you like it.

I'm saving the PSElements to put in my new computer when I get it. DH and I have talked about getting a new one, but other things (like kids and their problems :rolleyes:) keep getting in the way.

If I install it on this computer, can I use it again on a new one????

The computer-illiterate.

aka Sylvia

Yorky
09-25-2005, 05:21 AM
Strictly speaking, Sylvia, you can't transfer the license to your new computer, however this is one rule that everyone breaks. If you have only one copy in use then I reckon you should be able to transfer it to your new PC. I transferred mine to this laptop. It's a rule everyone breaks.

The only downside is you can't get online upgrades, but in any case your version has been superseded. I would go ahead and install it and register it then when you get your new PC uninstall it and install it again on your new one.

Doug

seedy
09-25-2005, 09:23 PM
hi....
Regretfully, the photos do not match your talent....Flash?...no way....

painterbear
09-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Ah, Brian, you understand! :) Many thanks.

Sylvia