PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a textured ground

Helen Zapata
09-09-2005, 05:43 PM
A little more experimentation here. :) I laid in a heavy texture on a Pinelli Canvas Panel, using a mix of Acrylic Heavy Gel Medium tinted with white and a little yellow ochre. I spread it on rather heavily with a brush and then patted it all over with a knife and let dry. The texture remaining was fabulous! Then I laid in this abstract floral-ish thing with glazes upon glazes. Way fun!

My pallette was severely limited to Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, and Sap Green. I also added a TINY touch of Cad Red to mix with the Umber for a great dark dark brown in some places.

If you want to mix a YUMMY greenish brown, the Burnt Umber with Sap Green is outstanding.

I seem to be having trouble capturing the richness of the glazed colors in my photo though. Sorry! It actually looks pretty cool in person, and when I popped it into a temporary gold frame, it looks neato! I'm going to play with this technique some more. :)

"Morning Whispers" 8x10

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2005/13900-MorningWhispers500.jpg

Helen

Einion
09-09-2005, 06:05 PM
That texture looks yummy! I like the palette too. Reminds me of tapestries!

Einion

bullyluvver
09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Einion took the words right out of my mouth - it DOES look like a tapestry and a very interesting one at that! Nice work.

Gail

3chaway9
09-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Very special Helen.

Helen Zapata
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks Einion, Gail, and Caroline! I hadn't thought about a tapestry look to it, but now that you mention it.... it does look like that!

Helen

Nitsa
09-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Yep, I agree, like an antique cushion ...Love the palette.

Margaret 59
09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
This is sooooo... good!

k9artisan
09-11-2005, 03:18 AM
A terrific abstract piece with such lovely color and texture! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
Amber

alfredart
09-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Okay, Burnt Umber...Sap Green...grabing my pencil... Ya, learn something new every day. When I think I've seen your best... you come out with this. Indeed, most wonderful.

Peace,
AL

Helen Zapata
09-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Thank you so much.. ALL of you! You make me SMILE!

I started another one, but have been plunged into all the excitement over our second grandson being born! "Maddox" arrived yesterday morning and everyone is thrilled. While his mommy and daddy are busy at the hospital, I'm being a busy Grandma trying to keep up with our 6 year old grandson. Yikes, this boy has so much energy!

Helen

Lady Carol
09-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Helen: congratulations on the newest addition to the family. Hope both mother and baby are doing well.

You are on a winner here. Love the colours and the texture.