PDA

View Full Version : Painting on a Giclee ??

art dreamer
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I had one of my paintings reproduced as a giclee. I would like to paint on it to embellish and make it unique.

1)Do I have to proctect the giclee first, such as a spray of some sort? If so, what should I use? The local store here is Michaels. Do I then have to coat it again before I give it to my client?

2)Also, are there rules on how to number the print?

Never done this before.................
-Thanks
Jane

Einion
09-09-2005, 06:06 PM
1)Do I have to proctect the giclee first, such as a spray of some sort? No I don't think so. This should be protected with a glazed frame ideally so you won't have to worry about varnishing.

2)Also, are there rules on how to number the print?Well if you're making this a limited edition the number of the current print over the total number - 12/100 for example. In traditional prints the plates should then be destroyed, with digital prints one is supposed to delete the scan/photograph the print was done from but since you can always make another one it seems a little pointless! :)

Einion

art dreamer
09-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your response.

For clarification; I can go ahead and paint directly on the giclee and the ink will not be affected? In other words, the ink is permanent as is and will not smear or run? I will be using acrylics.
If I do want to put a glaze on afterwards, what would you suggest? I've seen some giclees that have a brushwork type of finish to them.

carld
09-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Some giclee's have waterproof or water resistant ink, others do not. It depends on the printer used. Test a small portion and see if it runs. If it does, you will need some way to protect it.

Carl

Einion
09-10-2005, 12:10 PM
That's what I was going to say, I'm pretty sure some are quite resistant to water and I know others are not so you'd have to test to be sure.

About the texture, I think the best thing would be to brush over an acrylic gel medium of some sort (using a coarse brush, a synthetic probably being the best bet) but again you'll have to test them, as each will retain brush texture to different degrees. I think you'll probably want to go for the heaviest one you can find that still dries perfectly clear. Have a look on the Liquitex and Golden websites for the descriptions of their mediums, should give you a good starting point at least.

Einion

carld
09-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I have done some prints on heavy paper and coated them with heavy gel medium. They have a similar texture to my originals. I put them in open frames and give them as presents and promotions. It is important that people know these are reproductions and not originals, it is hard to tell the difference.

Carl

Becky-Bob
09-11-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a question for anyone. Is it very spendy to do so, to have giclees made up. And, how do you pronounce that word. Need to call around and find out prices and such. Thanks!

2bhappy
09-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Becky It is pronounced geeclay.Ive had a few done and it's not cheap to do around here.I would compare prices.
Blair

Becky-Bob
09-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks Blair. Yes, thats what I understood, that it would be spendy. Thinking of doing some soon. I'll check around.

Thanks again!

art dreamer
09-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, I found out why the giclee should be treated. By not treating it, it is like painting on raw canvas. The canvas immediately soaks up paint and you can't blend or work with it at all. :eek: