PDA

View Full Version : Bossy Boy

Dawnee
09-09-2005, 12:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2005/63912-27082005.JPG

Hi all

This is my first time posting a picture, in fact this is my first painting ever. I wanted to take up a hobby to decrease stress levels and I am so glad that I tried painting, I have enjoyed it so much.

This is Boss my partners dog, I originally started it for Tamis July classroom but unfortunately he passed away so I put it to one side for a while. Anyway I picked it up again recently and finished it.

C&C welcome, I need all the help I can get being a total beginner.

Thanks
Dawn

Marty C
09-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Hi Dawn,
Welcome to Wet Canvas and to the Acrylics Forum.
Great job on your first painting, the eyes are mesmerising. He looks a little sad, I think it's the drooping ears and those big eyes, nicely done.
Painting is stress relief in one way, but it can also drive you completely crazy and take over your life. But it's a very nice way to go nuts.
Have fun, looking forward to more.

tishtosh
09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Nice painting..lovely keepsake of a treasured friend.
Don't they just break your heart when they leave you......
Wish i had the commitment to go back to a painting after a break.If i don't finish a painting i quickly loose interest and start looking for new projects.
Painting can be the most relaxing and the most stressful of interests.But one thing u can guarantee,it is the most absorbing! Painters are constantly learning through experience and for every mistake u make ,one valuable lesson is learned.
To me, painting is like a drug! I'd be lost without it and its been a great friend during difficult times.
I am no expert in art, and i am new to wet canvas...but i am glad u have chosen to paint.I have never come across any nasty bitter people in my life who choose to paint!
You will find the guys on this site very,very helpful and encouraging, i have.
See u around!:wave:

Bertoni
09-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Dawn:
This is terrific for a first painting! Hope to see more of your work here!! :)

bjcpaints
09-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Hello and Welcome Dawn! I love this - it reminds me so much of my first painting! I painted a dog named Daisy, who had belonged to one of our Wet Canvas Members. That was in January of this year. I have learned a lot since then, but will always keep that first painting - it gave me a special feeling that I always want to remember.
Best wishes,
Barbara

Charlie's Mum
09-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Dawn - and a warm welcome to the Acrylics forum - hope you come back frequently with more paintings :D

Lovely - and good - first painting ..... even if it brings sadness to finish and look at it. I hope it eventually brings lots of comfort.

If you'd like help with anything, post your painting as large as poss so people can see it very clearly and offer advice (if you want it!).
See my signature for a link to posting images, resizing etc.

3chaway9
09-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Welcome Dawn.......great painting....a lovely dog....he looks like he was well named.

Dawnee
09-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi guys

Thank you all for your kind comments. I have enjoyed this forum very much and look forward to participating more in the future. I cant wait to start my next painting :)

Dawn

chaz
09-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the WC! Dawn. Neat first painting. Don't animals make great subjects?

Paint on

Chuck

Nikki R
09-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Dawn,
Managed to get on to a reply for you at last! Think your portrait of Boss is great! Keep up the good work.....Luv Nikki.?

ColorsoftheRainbow
09-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Very nice first painting. This looks like a great hobby for you. I paint for the stress release too. How nice that you are able to have this as a keepsake too.

I am still so new myself I don't have any CC for you other than to say it looks like you've done a great job!

bullyluvver
09-18-2005, 01:52 AM
hello Dawn,

This reminds me of the Staffie we had before our present bull terrier - except he had a black patch over the left eye. He was, like your picture, a beautiful creature and lived till he was nearly 13. Well done on a diffucult subject and hope to see more of yout work very soon.

Gail

JanB
09-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Very, VERY nice job on your first painting!! I think you chose the right hobby LOL :clap: .

Lady Carol
09-18-2005, 10:50 AM
This is your first? OH my goodness. Look out world, we have a future famous artist in the making :D

The dog is very cute. You have achieved foreshortening on the nose very well. This is a hard concept to get not only visually but to translate onto canvas. It usually takes quite a bit of painting and learning before that can be mastered. You also chose the perfect background colour. Well done.

Do you have your next one lined up?

Leslie Pz
09-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Very expressive! Nice color choice for the background.
-Les

Faded
09-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Welcome to Wetcanvas Dawn. This painting really shows the dog's personality, very well done. I look forward to seeing more of your work
-David

Dawnee
09-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi all, thank you once again for your comments, I feel inspired to paint and enjoy it very much :)

I have started a portrait of his mother Becky, I will post it once it is finished although it may be a while.

Thanks again!
Dawn