PDA

View Full Version : VPON Friday Sketch night - Sept 9/05

khourianya
09-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Host: Cori Nicholls (khourianya)
Where: Yahoo Messenger
When: Friday, Sept 9/05, 7 - 10 pm mountain time (Starting Times on the World Time Clock (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=9&year=2005&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=80) )

I just noticed that half of my calendar post didn't make it through in the VPON group, so i will do my best to fill in the blanks.

Now's your chance to sketch - all mediums welcome.* Let's set up something to sketch and work from life.* This could be just the chance you are looking for to start keeping a sketchbook!

Everyone should prepare by thinking of items they might like to sketch and getting them set up before the paintout starts. You can sketch wahtever you like - heck, if you have someone to model, you could even do figure drawing (just be sure to forewarn us if you are working from a live nude model and it will be in full view of the webcam).

And, don't worry if you don't have a webcam - join us and we will all sketch together! the more the merrier. If we get too many webcams, we can always branch off into smaller groups!

Afterwards, we can all post our PASTEL sketches in this thread and, if we worked in another medium, we can always post those in the appropriate forum and add a link here.

***edited to add: if you live further east and want to start earlier, feel free to make arrangements and host an earlier sketch-out!!***

Piper Ballou
09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Kori- I will be there, not sure what time yet. My husband is thrilled that I want to stay in on a Friday night, he usually watches "StarGate" so I can paint, paint, paint.
Not sure what I will be working on yet.
Piper

khourianya
09-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, I will have the conference started at 7pm (mtn time) and if I miss anyoneo n the invites, they can just message me and I will invite them.

I'm coming down with some sort of cold so I don't know if I will last the whole 3 hours, but we can play it by ear. I have an idea for a still life I want to sketch, but I will have to see how I'm feeling.

I should also forewarn y'all that we had big internet problems at home last night. I think our provider might have been doing some work in our area and it will hopefully be cleared up today, but If you guys don't see em online by 7:15 - then I am probably having issues. I intend to be there and wild horses couldn't keep me away from my easel...but isn't technology grand?

scall0way
09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Cool, I hope to be there as well. I know the webcam I ordered has shipped, but I'll be surprised if it has arrived and is sitting on my porch when I get home, and even if it is I'm not sure I'd get it set up in time - but I certainly hope to be able to participate tonight even without the camera.

khourianya
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Okay - good news - my interent is working well tonight so I will be up and logged in in an hour! Just gotta go grab some foooooood before we start! :D

khourianya
09-10-2005, 12:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2005/47843-vponsketchnite.jpg

Well, altogether there were 3 of us sketching (Myself, John, and Debbie) and a few others that came and went (Donna, Rose, Sooz).

I'll be back in a sec with my painting.

khourianya
09-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Animal #2 on the montage...my cat Ziggy. Same burgundy suede board. Her mouth needs further adjustment but am posting it as it was when i logged out of the paintout.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2005/47843-montage_ziggy.jpg

I hope debbie and john will pop their sketches/paintings in here too

Khadres
09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Ziggy's lookin' GREAT! I've never used suede before...do you like it? It looks a lot more painty somehow. Tell her she's a very pretty kitty!

Sorry I missed painting tonight but I'll do my best to attend the next paint out. Y'all did good!

scall0way
09-10-2005, 11:00 AM
This was my first VPON session, and it was a fun experience. I have a webcam on order but it has not arrived yet, so I got to watch John and Cori but they didn't get to see me. :)

I'll have to see how I feel when the cam comes! As usual, my painting goes through an initial stage where I'd be utterly ashamed for anyone to see it, LOL. Then gradually it starts to come together.

My computer room is not the best set-up for painting. The lighting is dreadful for one thing, and I may actually go out and buy a new lamp today just to improve that. I don't use native Yahoo Messenger, but use GAIM which has interfaces for Yahoo Messenger, AIM, Google.Talk, MSN Messenger, IRC, IQC, SAMETIME, etc, all under the same chat client. But I found it did not support the Yahoo features of voice talk and web cam - so I ended up having to download the Yahoo Messenger software and install it anyway, and that took a little time, but once I did everything flowed smoothly.

I was stumped on what to paint, had not painted in a couple weeks, but Cori mentioned that the WDE pictures this week were all still lifes, and that sounded good so I decided to paint one of them.

So here are a couple photos, one showing my (messy) computer room setup, and where I did my painting, and the other being the painting itself. My webcam has shipped so I hope by the next session I'll have been able to get it installed and tested.

johndill01
09-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Will upload the landscape that I was working on. Got so involved that I didn't even notice when Cori went to sleep. :D (turned around and noticed that Cori had gone offline with her camera.) Later noticed that I missed some other visitors also. This is from a reference photo taken this past spring in the South Eastern corner of Colorado in the canyon area. Beautiful canyons and scenery there. Just did not have the time to take a lot of photos.

Finished the painting this morning. Total time about 1 and 1/2 hours. On the smooth side of sky blue Canson.

Can't get the image uploader to finalize the insertion. Will use the file attachment .

khourianya
09-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Very nice work, both of you! :D

Debbie - I can't believe you were calling this painting "rotten" last night. It most certainly isn't!! Don't forget to post it over in the WDE forum too!

John - This scene is beautiful! Great job!

and I didn't go to sleep...my computer locked up and totally crashed (stupid PCs).

Sooz - the suede board is different to paint on. It takes a zillion layers and brushes off pretty easy if you make a mistake. Ziggy certainly has a more painterly feel to her than Abner does, which surprises me, but is likely because black takes less layers than tabby. I'm trying to decide if I want the background to remain burgundy or if I want to work in some other colours. It is my suspicion that this will fade over time, but I don't plan to hang it in the sun so probably not a big issue.

scall0way
09-10-2005, 12:45 PM
LOL Cori, all my paintings go through an "Ugly Ducking" phase where I really hate them! Usually they get better. :) I should have taken some photos of the process.

Ziggy is great, and does look very painterly. I have no idea what suede board is though. What can you tell me about it?

John, nice job. I'm intimidated by landscapes and canyons and things.

Piper Ballou
09-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Looks like you all had a good time last night, sorry I missed it. My sister gave me a really nice recliner and we went to pick it up last night (since I ususally fall asleep watching TV I wanted to have it here to try out last night LOL) anyway, we visited longer then I thought we would.
Everyone's paintings look great.
I like the cat-Cori-
Debbie- that is nonsense about it not being very good
John-you are right about Colorado, very interesting canyons there

We will be setting up the computer in the "art room" which is really the front bedroom, but it will make it so much easier to do Vpons....
piper

khourianya
09-10-2005, 01:04 PM
The best way i can describe t is that it feels like velvet to touch. I have some velour paper and it isn't at all the same as that. the tooth feels deeper and it seems to hold the pastel far better. I picked it up at the art store that is furthest from my house and I do like it alot. Not as much as Wallis or colourfix, but still alot.

I actually had a request from someone for a possible christmas gift of a painting and I am thinking of doing it on this same kind of board.

johndill01
09-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Cori: could you tell us more about the suede board. I have tried the suede mat board, but it is very pricey. I sometimes use suede paper and it works well mounted on foam core. Thanks,

John

khourianya
09-10-2005, 01:22 PM
It's possible that this might be the same as suede matboard, except it is fairly cheap as far as paper prices are up here. A 16 X 20 board is about $10 (which is half the price of an 18 X 24 sheet of Wallis Pro). It comes in a range of colours (red, blue, grey, brown, black etc)

I've worked on suede scrapbooking paper before and it was similar to that, except that the tooth feels deeper.

Khadres
09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
This is from a reference photo taken this past spring in the South Eastern corner of Colorado in the canyon area. Beautiful canyons and scenery there. Just did not have the time to take a lot of photos.

I cannot believe you were in Colorado last spring and didn't stop by and visit! :crying:

Nice job! Sorry I couldn't see your cam last night...and then I got stranded with family uproar going on, so hopefully, I'll be at the next paintout for sure. Looks like y'all had fun!

Khadres
09-10-2005, 03:50 PM
LOL Cori, all my paintings go through an "Ugly Ducking" phase where I really hate them! Usually they get better. :) I should have taken some photos of the process.

I think your still life looks great! You've hit those colors exactly too....very nice!

Artistammy
09-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Cori, suede matboard costs alot more than that here, I think. Maybe it is something different.
We're taking a quick trip to Tucson, AZ Weds thru Sun so I'll be out. I hope I get some good pics.
Tammy

johndill01
09-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Cori; the matboard here when you can find it can run as much as 75+ US for a 32 x 40 sheet. I really like to work on this surface, but the cost keeps me away. Thanks for your info.

Sooz: The area that I was in is 30 - 40 miles Southwest of Springfield, CO. Did spend about 1 and 1/2 days in Colorado Springs with my 2 bros. Was a real quick trip. Hopefully next year will get to go back and spend more time.

John

Khadres
09-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Yikes, you were in the arid part of the state then...not that we're very green here either, but we do have more mountains. We once lived down in Trinidad which is fairly close to Springfield. Some beautiful country in the mtns. west of there too.

johndill01
09-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to share a couple of photos of this area. It is mostly flat in most of the southeastern corner of Colorado. These canyons are a stark contrast to the prairie that surrounds them. Some of the most beautiful colors imaginable, especiially in the spring. While I was there, the wildflowers were in full bloom. I grew up close to there and have never seen the total number of different variaties of flowers in bloom at the same time.

khourianya
09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Just a heads up to you all - I just created a couple of polls in VPON so we can specify the days and times that work best for us, as well as the kinds of paint-outs we'd like to participate in.

It is my hope we will be able to get people hosting a variety of paintouts that way.

khourianya
09-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Is anyone hosting anything this weekend? I am away at my parent's place (building that pastel box - yay!) so won't be around to host anything, but you guys can set something up!!

Khadres
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Not sure what we'll be doing around here this weekend, but if I get a slow spot I'll check online and see if anyone's interested in painting along with me....assuming someone else doesn't host a bona fide paint-out, that is.

Good luck with that pastel box!

Piper Ballou
09-16-2005, 01:35 AM
I sent a message to everyone about painting this weekend...if I know a day, either saturday or sunday I would be glad to host, more then likely tomorrow I will just pick a day and say----Paintout, Paintout, paintout....guess I really have the need to paint this weekend
piper