PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

Maryeve
09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Ok, I have a painting in my store listed at 150 (ebay store)

I was actually getting ready to move it to auction this evening and start bidding at 49.95, of course hoping it would get more bids, but lately Most things have sold for opening bid.

I just got an offer for 40 dollars...

now, I really don't mind taking forty for it, of course Id rather have more, but I honestly even questioned whether to list the thing at all..wasn't overly thrilled with it.

My question is, is it bad practice to accept such a low offer? even though it isn't that much lowere than what I have been selling similar works..would it give others the impression they can offer less than 2/3?..Or is it not really obvious unless someone chooses to search my ended auctions?

by the time I pay the listing fees for the item it will end up being only about 40 bucks I make off of it anyway.

Is there a way to counter off on that make best offer option?

Fagan
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I usually make a counter offer if it is too low an amount. You could counter with $60.00 which is lower than 1/2 your original price...but not too far from the $40.00 offered. Say you will pay shipping.

Maryeve
09-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Is there a way to counter on there? I don't see that option, or do I just email her?

dorith
09-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Mary,

if the price is too low to be considered, then just decline it with a short explanation...
we've had quite a few people offer $25 for a $149 print...which is completely silly, since 25$ won't even cover the costs...but then, quite a few of them then go in and pay the full price afterwards... go figure.

arteitaliana
09-06-2005, 06:13 PM
You can counter offer. If the offer is accepted, revise the listing, delete the "best offer" option and revise the listing price (BIN)to the accepted amount.
The person can then buy it at that amount.

hillrune
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
After you sleep on it you will know what you want to do...sometimes it's ok to accept a silly offer. If you want to...lately I did. I simply wrote that I had decided to accept the low offer because I wanted to-and I am glad I did. The buyer will come back.

Mary

Picassosattic
09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
If you were going to list it at auction for $49.00, then you were prepared to accept that amount, right? I'd counter with $50.00 since that was the amount you would have started the auction at or there about.

It all comes down to what do you need to get for this work. There have been times when I have accepted the offer and times when I have countered the offer. I would always counter if you have a specific price in mind.

Ruth

timelady
09-07-2005, 03:07 AM
Just replying by to her by email and countering should be fine. :) If it makes you feel better I had ridiculous offers of 40, 60 and 100 for a 325 painting recently posted. Heh.

Tina.

Diane Cutter
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, me too, Tina... I had an offer of $49 for a $300 painting. The painting has since sold at the gallery for $350... I just couldn't let it go for so little.

Diane

wayfarer
09-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Bear in mind too that unless it has been changed, bidders can only make one best offer through that system. If you are countering with another offer, the advice about revising the listing following an email to that effect will do the same thing.

I have sold a few paintings via Best Offer. I'm more inclined to accept if it is an older work. The advice about free shipping is good. I did have one of those ridiculous offers, but I countered and offered the free shipping to get the sale.

Chris