PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice

mame
01-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Thought it might be fun to "exhibit" a very early work - maybe 1993?
Acrylic on unstretched canvas
Approximately 8 ft L x ? wide. Don't know if this one still exists. Might be rolled up in the garage.
Influenced by an art history class I took in the Art of Mesoamerica

PS - The resizer works!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2002/mesoamerica_copy.JPG

mansuri
01-13-2002, 10:34 AM
I really this like piece. I can almost hear the samba drums and other ritualistic music when I look at it. Excellent capture of emotions too. This is to not to take away from the great chocie of color too! Bravo!

jnet11
01-13-2002, 12:05 PM
oh yeah, awesomely powerful work.

"Might be in the garage" -- doesn't that just make your stomach turn? NO PAINTINGS IN CLOSETS OR GARAGES OR ATTICS! give them away (to me!) lol. seriously, I have a closet full of old paintings, I know what you mean.

glad to see some of where you started!

AmyH
01-13-2002, 03:01 PM
cool to see early work, delighted the resizer works now i wont have to make jpgs just for wc at different sizes than my site. yay.

looking at this i think that your work evolves gradually. even from work this long ago, I see very strong mame stuff going on :). strong and steady. wish i were that way. I cant keep on one thing long enough to get the benefit of that type of process. and yes I do think it is benficial. I admire it.

amy

ZOTMA
01-13-2002, 03:32 PM
stong and intense
enjoyed seeing this

RWeller
01-13-2002, 05:27 PM
very dramatic, i like :)

Gisela
01-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Even your early work has 'MAME' written all over it! :clap:

Thanks for sharing,
Gisela

dnip24
01-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Amazing combination colors!

mame
01-14-2002, 07:45 AM
Txs everyone. I think it is useful to look at the old/beginning stuff critically to assess where you were and how you're coming. And seeing it in cyberspace gives you a good perspective

And yes, Amy I agree re evolving. Especiallly if like me, you paint for yourself and the "thing" is the process over time, not the outcome of an individual piece or what the market happens to be interested in at any given moment. I think you do that too. You make what pleases you. How can art be "genuine" and "true" otherwise? (if you care about such things).

If you're lucky, somebody wants your work but if nobody does, oh well...

Well, enough Gramdma Moses musings.
Txs all for indulging me.

Wolrab
01-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Very dramatic use of colour.

kelly
01-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Really strong stuff Mame...Interesting to see the evolution in your work...You now get alot done with very little compared to this one.

ThinkSeeDraw
01-14-2002, 06:44 PM
I am in awe. This is definetely my most favorite out of any of your work. The expressions of the faces, my goodness. I love the colors and the overall mood. truly a masterpiece in my eyes :clap:

colorme
01-18-2002, 07:52 AM
i can see your recent work in this piece..way to go mame! :clap: :)