PDA

View Full Version : Ahead of the Storm...the pony express

ponting
09-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi there, I don't believe I have every posted in this forum before. No matter the subject matter I tend to stick it in with the pastels. However here I am with a couple of pony express riders in the (forever green) Fraser Valley of BC, Canada. These guys were indeed just barely ahead of the storm for the full three days of the ride but as you can see by the James Arness smile, they were having a lot of fun.

This is a 19 x 24" pastel on La Carte
C & C welcome and appreciated.

I should note that it's not quite as dark as it looks in this posting....at least on my monitor. :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2005/34523-Ahead-of-the-Storm-good.jpg

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Tatiana.M
09-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Beautiful!!! I love your colours!!! When was this ride? Not too far from you....I'm in Surrey!
Tat

Halo
09-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Wow, Dianna...this is really beautiful! You can do animals and people equally well, not something everyone is proficient at. (me for one!!) Excellent job on this one!

Cbrooks
09-05-2005, 04:59 AM
Dianna, another excellent work you have here. Looked at your website a week or so ago and saw all of your beautiful work. Love the color you put into your work, just wish that I could handle color.
Charles

cpart
09-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Please post more in the A&W, I'm gob smakced (thats a good thing by the way) at the colour and detail you have got here. Stunning!!!

jody007
09-05-2005, 09:46 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with everyone else beautiful work! Please post more of your work here!! You sure can paint wow!!!

JOdy :D

paintedhorses
09-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Wow! Love the action!

I don't visit the pastel forum, so haven't seen your work until now. Great job!

Jeri

ponting
09-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi y'all and thanks so much for your kind words.

Tat....you are right in their back yard. The ride ends up the the Cloverdale rodeo. This is only thier second run so their still working the bugs out but what a hoot.....and the buns aren't bad neither. There are some riders from the Hashknife Pony Express in Arizona working with them supposedly to get it running smoothly.....but mostly if think, because they love the ride. :p I think I will have to miss it next year at it overlaps my UK workshops or I'd suggest we meet up there. :clap: Perhaps 2007?

Thank you Charles....I have also visited your site and have seen how very talented you are. :clap: Believe me .....anyone that can handle pencil can handle pastel. They are both touchy-feely mediums, both erasable and both get you down and dirty. :p

Thank you Stu and Jodi...I will endeavour to do more paintings that fit this category :p but it is usually just something that fits in with one of my interests ....which by the way are all over the map so it's hard to say when another will strike me. :D And I love the "gob-smacked" term but hesitate to think how it originated :rolleyes:

Hi Jeri....we all miss so much in our own little areas. I seen to only venture out when hitting new posts that appear interesting and have found some great work that way. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :p

Cheeres, Dianna :cat:

momof6
09-05-2005, 12:29 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful painting, Dianna! Love the play of darks and lights - and great expression on those riders' faces!

How did you get this shot? :confused: Were you on the pony ahead, sitting backwards snapping off photos? :eek: :eek:

And for those who haven't met Dianna before - she has wonderful workshops (not just locally either)! The still life in my siggy was done at one earlier this year. I HIGHLY recommend it! Besides, she makes great SOUP :D

Canis Lupess
09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Great piece of work. I would hardly know it was pastels, the overall piece has a wet look about it and pastel pieces often look more "Dry", if you get me, lol.

ponting
09-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Toni-M and Tracey.....for taking the time to comment. No no giving out my soup recipes. :wink2:

Not backwards on a horse Tracey :p but under foot definitely!! These guys had to go around me most of the time. They only travel in one mile legs as it was in the orginal pony express. So I have to take take my photos....usually 3 to 5.....run to my little puddle jumper.....perhaps next time I will take my mo-ped.....make my way carefully around the racing rider to the next awaiting one......find a parking spot and get into postition for the next shots. In the process, because I like to use my SLR as opposed to the digital for action shots, I have learned to change film with great speed. I have my film all lined up on the dash and as I grab and 'dash' into position, I am changing film. The used one gets tossed in the back on my return run. I discovered two rolls about a month ago wedged under the seat. :p It is exhilarating and fun and I intend to take a different section each year. In the meanwhile, I also get some good shots of the riders doing other things that I can turn into great pictures.

Take care and Thanks again....Dianna :cat:

lathiel
09-05-2005, 03:54 PM
What a beautiful piece of work! It is so vibrant and full of movement and life. Just like you others!

Tatiana.M
09-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Tat....you are right in their back yard. The ride ends up the the Cloverdale rodeo. This is only thier second run so their still working the bugs out but what a hoot.....and the buns aren't bad neither. There are some riders from the Hashknife Pony Express in Arizona working with them supposedly to get it running smoothly.....but mostly if think, because they love the ride. :p I think I will have to miss it next year at it overlaps my UK workshops or I'd suggest we meet up there. :clap: Perhaps 2007?

Ohhhhhh....cowboys and buns...what a great combo ;),and 2007...it's a date!!!
Tat

Splatt!
09-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Dianna,

A fantastic picture! Your attention to detail is amazing, both in this piece and the other works on your lovely website. BTW, is a pastel piece a painting or a drawing?

Perhaps we could do with the Pony Express here in the UK. It's got to be better than the Royal Mail!

ponting
09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Thank you so much Leslie.....coming from a real horse person to a Sunday rider like me...thats real nice. :cat:
... is a pastel piece a painting or a drawing?You got me Steve?? I call them paintings as do most. I have always thought it strange that charcoals seem to be aways labeled sketches no matter how much detail is in them and pencil is a drawing or sketch independent of how diligently one works at them. Perhaps that is why they don't seem capable demanding the dollars like something made up of colors. Are digitals always called paintings?

Perhaps we could do with the Pony Express here in the UK. It's got to be better than the Royal Mail!Better than here too. :p

2007...it's a date...just look me up Tat :clap:

k9artist
09-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Beautiful piece !!!!!!!!! That must have been so much fun to be there for this event..and to get such nice photos to work from..I'm jealous!!
Dana

darlingart
09-05-2005, 09:50 PM
OH MY GOD! Dianna this is just so stunning, I love it! I agree you definitely need to do some more to post in this forum:):):)

Michelle

ponting
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes Dana....I love things like this but then I'd imagine I'm missing something truly wonderful in your neck of the woods. I'd love to see some of the re-enactments of a different nature that occur on the east coast. Something that invoves tri-corns rather than stetsons. :p

Here is a link to another of the same type of event...non animal though I'm afraid....unless you count the coonskin cap. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286053

Michelle...thank you....I definitely come back to enjoy and maybe even post. :cat:

cyber_holic
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
WOW! Welcome this is superb!

bjcpaints
09-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Dianna, Please, please, please come back and post more! I see by your sig line that all your pastels are so wonderful - deep, rich, colors - Wow! Not what I think of when I think "pastel". Your Pony Express piece has wonderful dimension - reminds me of the 3D Viewmasters!
Barbara

Stardreamer
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow. Simply wow. Strong, and bold with so much movement.

ponting
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Thank you CH, Barbara and Michael. You are all most gracious in your welcome here. It's nice to see someone as young as yourself Cyber Holic.....taking full advantage of WC. :wave:

Michael your short simple statement conveys so much... :cat:

Barbara. I think it a hoot that someone else made the Viewmaster statement when I was teaching in Saskatchewan this spring. I was busy at the time and had almost forgotten it. Your bringing it up made me step back and take a look and I had to laugh because it's true. I don't know it that is necessarily good but certainly fun to see. :p

Cheers, and thanks again....Dianna

crazeejumper
09-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Gorgeous!

bushma'am
09-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Hello Ponting

I keep coming back time-after-time to the picture "Ahead of the storm", The darker sky to me just means the storm will arrive just a little sooner than expected. I cannot keep my eyes off this picture. It is so full of energy; the horses and riders, the dust, foliage pushed by the wind and the storm itself. I can hear the pounding of the horses, I can smell the sweat of the horse, the dryness of the dust and the air is crackling from charged currents preceeding the storm.
All that and finished with pastel to me is wonderfully done. Chalky or oil pastels. I did not know such finished work could be accomplished with pastels. I have some but only use them for on-site pre-sketching.
I view this picture and I am in the presence of greatness.
Regards
Bushma'am

Lynn Al-Q.
09-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Wow! This is fantastic - the colours are so beautiful, the whole painting is so vibrant and that sky............ Excuse me while I go back and have another look - again :) .
Lynn

Beau L
09-13-2005, 07:34 PM
WOW!! ....gees that is an awesome picture. Its amazing. Thankyou for posting it....

cpart
09-14-2005, 03:53 AM
Hi ponting - here is a link to the meaning of Gobsmacked (http://www.worldwidewords.org/ga/qa-gob1.htm) . Even I learnt something finding this :D :eek:

bjcpaints
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Barbara. I think it a hoot that someone else made the Viewmaster statement when I was teaching in Saskatchewan this spring. I was busy at the time and had almost forgotten it. Your bringing it up made me step back and take a look and I had to laugh because it's true. I don't know it that is necessarily good but certainly fun to see. :p

Its a very good thing Dianna! Wish I could reporduce this effect!

Stu, You crack me up! :D

ponting
09-14-2005, 04:38 PM
My goodness, where have I been that all of these nice people have come to visit and I missed them. Hi guys....thanks for stopping by :wave:

Connie....great praise indeed from a horsewoman :clap:

Bushma'am ....nice to see you here....You tell a wicked story... :clap: You even had me *seeing* it in action.....I should get you to do my little write-ups on my web site......best I could do for that painting was to include a roll of thunder if you wait long enough for it to download. :D

Thank you Lynn .....remember that is a RIL sky....still no one has told me the name of the photographer so that I can give them a big kiss. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/34523-0_kiss.gif You might want to try it some time.....the photo that is not the kiss. :p

Beau...... I love your line........gees that is an awesome picture. That is the line I use when I talk out loud to myself while perusing WC :D

Stu ....what a man.....thanks so much for finding that for me. It is such a jolly sounding term and now I know its history. For if I use it here, I will definitely need a history to go along with it. :p

And last but not even close to least....Barbara I guess I can rest easy with the 'view master' effect then. Truth be known, I was rather impressed with it. LOL :clap:

Once again.......thanks for stopping by and especially for the C&C :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

Lynn Al-Q.
09-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Hi Dianna :wave:
Showing my ignorance here - what is RIL? Being a porcelain artist and not brave enough yet (or gifted with 48 hour days!) to step outside my world other than pencil drawing I'm not up to scratch with some of the terminology used on WC - some I can figure out, but not this one.:confused:

Regarding 'gobsmacked' - being born and bred in Liverpool, the term is so familiar to me that I didn't even think about its origins. I was really interested in the link Stu put up, but I can tell you (personal experience!) that its been used in Liverpool since well before the 80's. It's so descriptive don't you think? (providing you know what a 'gob' is to start with!). Definitely describes this painting though.
Lynn

slaterza
09-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Dianna, I always appreciate your insightful comments and now we get to enjoy one of your great pieces as well. Thanks for sharing this in this forum. I really enjoyed seeing and hearing about hte process to get the photo as well.

ponting
09-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Thank you Sam......Never mind the story of getting the photos...Bushma'am's version wins hands down......Thanks my good man for the gracious words. :)

I think you are putting us on here Lynn ....thou art too modest by what I see :D

RIL Reference Image Library......I hope you have used it for it contains some truly wonderful photographs.

I must admit the first time I heard "gobsmacked" I realized that it was a compliment by the way it was used but I didn't envision pleasant pictures. Having done at least 100 displays over the years, the girls that looked after my booths used to shake their heads at the amount of saliva that shows up with regularity on the picture glass. It was a daily duty to clean glass, its that big a deal. So we won't go any further down that line..... :D Just glad to have it confirmed that it is indeed a good term :cat: :D

Cheers, Dianna

Lynn Al-Q.
09-15-2005, 02:49 PM
OK - that confirms it - I'm definitely getting senile!! :D I don't know where my brain was going this morning (probably backwards and definitely downhill :o ) Actually I confirmed that to myself today when I tried to lock my house front door using the remote control button on my car key! Of course it was the Ref Library! I've even uploaded pictures to it! Some days it's not a good idea to get out of bed ........ :D Maybe the grey cells will be working properly tomorrow after a good night's sleep for a change!

ponting
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
OK - that confirms it - I'm definitely getting senile!! I don't know where my brain was going this morning (probably backwards and definitely downhill :o ) Actually I confirmed that to myself today when I tried to lock my house front door using the remote control button on my car key! I love it!!!! :D
Cheers, Dianna

She-She
09-17-2005, 05:59 AM
What a lovely painting!!! :clap: I love the energy this gives. Kinda reminds me of a time when my hubby & I were out riding & a storm was movin in. We were a good distance from home, maybe not quite a mile, but we loped or trotted the rest of the way, & wouldn't you know it..... we got dumped on just as we got there. We had no rain slickers on, so we were soaked. Here in Sask. when it rains, wind comes with it. :mad:

I would love to see this pony express ride, but it's still a long haul for me.
Just one question? Was there a pony express at one time in B.C.?

michelleblock
09-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I really do love this piece. You have commented on my work before, but haven't had the pleasure of seeing your work. Wow!!:clap:

I can only hope that one day I will be as good.:)

lani noa
09-17-2005, 06:47 PM
The play of light is fantastic ...the action superb. You must have gotten dust all over your lens while out there getting these shots. You truly are a gifted artist. I would imagine you are using oil pastels ...am I correct in this? I've been meaning to try some, I only have regular pastels.

K Taylor-Green
09-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Wow, Dianna! I don't know how I missed this! The subject matter is right up my alley, and you have rendered it beautifully, as usual. Superb!

ponting
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Dianna is checking in from Cranbrook...almost at the gathering in Whitefish. No time to talk but do appreciate all of your wonderful comments. Will get back to you 'proper like' when I return.
Cheers and thanks guys!!! :wave: Dianna

momof6
09-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Misty - Dianna uses "regular" pastels, not oils. I've had the pleasure of taking one of her workshops and you all should SEE her studio and gallery! Imagine these works full size!

Sorry Dianna, just wanted to toot your horn for you while you're out :D

Serenity
09-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Dianna, your painting is awesome and truly inspiring!! :clap: :clap:

ponting
09-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Well hello everyone. Back home safe and sound but had a great trip. Montana is a beautiful state….I could live there quite easily. It would've made a great backdrop for this painting.

Sheila…I don’t believe we ever had a pony express in BC but we do now and I’ve taken advantage of it to post letters to the UK and we have even received one from my granddaughter ….written with a quill pen of course.
I love your tale of attempting to outrun the storm. Being from Saskatchewan myself, I could feel the weather and wind as it closed in on you.

Michelle thanks so much for taking the time to check out my work and to post a reply containing such kind words. I’m sure we’ll run into each other again.

Misty, as Tracy so nicely mentioned, I do use soft pastel so you don’t need to run out and buy anything new. And thank you Tracy, can I hire you when I go overseas next year?

Thanks Kate for jumping in……I doubt it would be hard for you to find as subject to comment on….like me…your tastes are as eclectic as they come and its so nice to meet a kindred spirit.

Hello Serena and thanks for stopping by. I do have to say that I love your signature line…..definitely something to live by!!

*Deirdre*
09-25-2005, 07:26 PM
This piece just exudes excitement and thrills...whether the racing horses and riders so beautifully portrayed or the thought of you racing to get the picture! So well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: I can only watch and hopefully learn! :wink2:

ponting
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
How did I miss this.....thank you so much Deirdre......but I don't think you need much watching and learning.....I am in awe of your speed and accuracy. :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

Tich
10-05-2005, 02:21 AM
I can't believe I missed this one. :eek: It must be the posting in a different forum that got me. Awesome as always. I have seen that sky reference and you've done a bloody wonderful job of making it unique. Another lesson learned. Thanks for sharing this great painting.

Ta Ta Tich

viking57
10-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Hi Dianna,
Hey this is a wonderful piece. Great sky and a really nice foreground. The guy on the horse in back looks like one of those Brooks and Dunn guys. hahaha. Wonderful painting Dianna.
Ron

juneto
10-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Dianna ,
This "Smokes" !!!!!!!
Another words terrific , And unexpected . love it !
june

ponting
10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Hello Tich......I see you really have traversed my threads this past day. Thanks sunshine for the kudos!! :cat:

Hi Ron.....Yah, who could resist this guy with the ear to ear smile. I spent a lot of time with these guys and had a hard time getting a picture of him without it in place. It was my husband who took one look at the pictures and named him James Arness for his smile.

June.....smokin' is good..... :clap: Thanks so much. :D

RUNEMASTER
12-07-2005, 02:11 AM
wOW ! aWESOME.

ponting
12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Good morning Rudy.

Whatever time zone your in....your up either very early or very late. Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment. Not get some sleep. :D

bullyluvver
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
What a beautiful picture! Such a wonderful talent you have there (I looked at your website!)

Gail

chaz
12-07-2005, 01:29 PM
This is a wonderful painting Dianna. I don't know how I missed this back in September. Must have been AWOl at the time.

Very talented you are

Chuck

talisman
12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Dianna this is wonderful so full of life and action. It must have been a fantastic race to see. I looked at your site you are a very talented lady and a good range of subjects. Your pastels are really outstanding with brilliant colors and wonderful highlights. From one Dianna to another great job!