PDA

View Full Version : Plasteline Bears (Update)

MKathleen
01-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi All:

Still working on the bears thought I would send a couple of progress images. Since these images were taken I have down sized the cubs head closest to the viewer. I feel I'm making progress sculpting is like painting you have to keep checking form, shape and many other things. One thing though at least with this one I don't have to be concerned with color! lol
What'd ya think?

Best,
Kathy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2002/PlastelineBearsFront1-12-02.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2002/PlastelineBearsAbove02-1-11-02.jpgHey Di I did it! Your upload directions were top notch--Thank You!

mebucko
01-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Hi Kathy!
Seems like your bears are alive, I could've sworn that the little ones were on the other side before!:D I can't wait to see what you do with all of this, I like having you be the guinea pig!:D Really though, it's looking good. I did kind'a like the way that the bears 'were' facing different directions before, maybe you could have the Mommy bear with her head turned some being a little wary? With them all facing the same general direction, it kind'a makes the sculpt a little too static to me. Maybe even with one cub with his/her head slightly turned some also, I think in my mind, like what was said before, that in the wild they would be "looking out" for each other.
Just my 2 1/2! Hee-hee! I was also wondering how much detail is going to go into these, I don't remember if you have stated that yet, or not. It doesn't matter, I guess, just being the nosey guy I am. I think that if you went either way, it would be a very nice piece. Thanks for posting the UPDATE! That kind'a stuff is what makes the blood circulate!:)
Groovy!:p
Randy

Jeffi
01-13-2002, 03:33 PM
Kathy,

They're looking pretty good - you could just add indications of fur and you'd be almost done. I'm hesitant to make any comments because I'm still very new at this and don't want to come off as sounding like I'm some kind of expert. However, I did have one small comment. The only thing I would add to what's already been posted is that I might make the base just a little larger. It almost appears as though they're stranded on a tiny rock. It adds some tension to the piece that might take away from the tranquility of the moment in time you've captured. Other than that I know it's going to be a wonderful piece.
I do have a question though. Do you find oil-based clay harder to work with than water-based clay? By harder I guess I mean does it take a different skill set to work it because of the difference in texture? Thanks.

MKathleen
01-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Randy Joe Mebucko Hawk Eye, wow I can't believe I missed those little critters move. :confused: As I've been working on them I pick them up and work on areas I can't get to otherwise. I didn't realize I had not put them back in the same position/direction. I had to even go back and look at my progress photographs and drawings. YOU ARE RIGHT! Duh... :o I had thought about putting the cubs butt to butt, and still will give that a try. Will see how the head turning will look also. ;) I have started adding the facial expressions and fur. They were getting cold! lol ;)
Will post again after I get the fur completed. By the way when might we see a Randy Joe Mebucko Hawk Eye new sculpture? About me being a guinea pig some pal you are!:evil:

Thanks again for your observations, comments, suggestions all are welcome :D

Best,
Kathy:cat:

MKathleen
01-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Jeffi, thank you yeah they look better than when I first started. lol
Since my last post I have started detailing facial expression and fur. I think your comment on the base is valid and I will add some additional land space.
Please don't feel because your new to sculpting you can't comment on mine and other's work. As so many have said in this forum that is how we learn. I need to hear the opinions of others. I may not always agree, but then again I may. :D
I'll have to let you know about oil base vs wet clay--the air dry clay I used wasn't a true pure wet clay. After I get more experience with the oil clay I'm going to buy a block of wet clay and have a go at it. :cool: I can tell you I love the feel of the oil clay especially this Chavant clay I'm using.
What new sculpture are you working on now? Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Best,
Kathy:D

diane555
01-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Hi Kathy!

This is looking good girl! I'm so happy to see you enjoying this so much. You're right...the comments & suggestions are a great learning tool, whether you use them or just store the ideas away for future referance. Since we are discussing the base: My thinking on this is not so much in regards to the size of the base, but more to the shape of it. I think if it were more asymetrical it would have a more "pulled from nature look" to it. Just by adding a couple of roughly modelled clumps of grass hanging out over the edge here & there might be just the thing. Dunno, just my thinking on this. The bears are looking really good and it took me a moment to realize you changed the position too LOL.

Loking forward to the next pics :D
Di

mebucko
01-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Hi Kathy!
Yeah, you know, Di's right, I would also like to see the irregularities that the earth has in nature. I think that you wouldn't have to have a lot of it jutting out, but just not circular in design. Something that would maybe suggest an opening to water that they have just come upon, or something, just a slight hint maybe. Well, if you haven't moved 'em AGAIN!:D Looking good though, we're just interested in what you're doing, at least we like it, huh, it could be worse!:D
Keep posting updates, We want to see the bears!
Randy

max nelson
01-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Kathy, isn't this fuuuuunnn??:) Couple of comments..discard if you don't agree. As Di and Bucco mentioned..the base is static. That big word that Di used, ya know, the 'a' word is good advice.
The fur indication that was mentioned should be used with a great deal of sensitivity since the piece is so small. Indications of should not be larger than the size of the piece warrants (relative size) and if very much will detract (just my opinion) Fur can be more texture than fur.
And a final comment. The overhead shot is great. What I see is this..the form is the same width front to back. I'm not very familiar with bear anatomy, but in many animals they are narrorer in front than in back. And the tummy might swell out beyond the bone structure. Use what you deem applicable, file the others in the 'round' file.:D
Max
Oh, and one more thought..(well, I said a couple)..the neck on the momma bear seems skinny and not sloping into the shoulder area gently. OK, tell me to shuuuuut uuuup.:D

Phyllis Rennie
01-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Hi Kathy. Looking good! No advise from here--just cheerleading!

MKathleen
01-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Di, hey thank you it means a lot coming from you! Yes I agree about the base I will do some finger work on the edges. I've been so intense on sculpting the bears that I have let the base landscape go will try some foilage. I'll work on it for sure ;)
Yeah that was really funny about the bear movement leave it to Randy to notice. What a guy!:evil:
I'll post some more images in a few days I have jury duty possible selection. :eek:

Best,
Kathy

MKathleen
01-15-2002, 12:41 AM
Hi Randy,:D thank you too for the suggestions I'll give them a try. Like I mentioned to Di I've been so rapped up in sculpting the bears that I haven't payed much attention to the base landscape.
I have been pretty excited by the detail work facial expression and fur ...will post images in a few days. I'm on jury duty, may get cut loose tomorrow hope so..:clap:

Best,

MKathleen
01-15-2002, 12:53 AM
Max, yelp the base needs attention and you all are right will make it the "a". Also had already added more neck volume!
Oh didn't I mention shes expecting again!;)
I'm sponging up all comments, suggestions and recommendations please keep them coming I need all the help I can get!
I'll take my Lucchesi book "Modeling The Figure In Clay" to jury duty tomorrow. It will make for some good reading while not in the court room. You know setting around waiting, waiting and waiting somemore. I keep thinking I could be home working on my bears!
I'm also plotting my next sculputure I have it drawn out in my mind.
Thanks again for your help.......;)
Will post new images in a few days.

Best,
Kathy:o

MKathleen
01-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Phyllis, thank you for the cheers don't forget I value your opinion too!
How's things going with your relief? Keep going!:clap:

Best,