PDA

View Full Version : Wet Panel Carrier cheap and fast to assemble...

Marc Hanson
07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
About to take a painting trip and like Brian C.( his panel carrier is great and what I'd make if time permitted), I needed something for larger 11x14 panels. I have several panel carriers for sizes up to 10x12 that I've made in the past, but not for 11x14 and larger. Because I've been so busy lately this had to be cheap, fast to make and light as possible. I don't know how long it will last but with less than $10.00 into it, one trip's worth of use is good enough.

This is made from one 20x30 piece of 1/2" foam core ($3.99 @ Michael's), and four 2 foot pieces of 1/4" basswood ($.67 each) from Michael's. I used cyanoacrylate ester glue(ie super glue) to attach the dividing strips. A short piece of hook and loop (Velcro) with self-adhesive made the 'latch.

Cut it to dimensions with 90 degree cuts (a good mat knife blade), measure, mark and glue the basswood strips, and tape the whole enchilada together. I used duck tape so that it would look like a 'Red Green' project :D ...can't beat duck tape for strength and appearance...and speed!

This carries 8 - 11x14 panels. The two outside couldn't be put in wet, but IF I used them all, I'd probably use a couple right away and they'd be dry enough by the time it came to pack up and go.

frisbee1948
07-20-2005, 04:29 PM
There is no problem so big that it can't be solved with either duct tape or flowers.

Have a safe trip.

antgeek
07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
cool beans, marc, quick and cheap. thanks for sharing your design. :wave:

Marc Hanson
07-20-2005, 04:35 PM
There is no problem so big that it can't be solved with either duct tape or flowers.

Have a safe trip.
I did it...I know that's the correct spelling... :rolleyes:

See you out there and a safe one to you as well John!

jimb
07-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Marc,
I have a dandy panel carrier made out of wood, but the only problem is that it only takes a 9x12 panel (which come to think of it is probably why I have only been painting on 9x12s :) ).
If I ever get brave enought to do something bigger I will surely use something like this.
Thanks!!

Bruce Newman
07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
You must be ready to go on your New York trip very soon, Marc. I'd LOVE to meet up with everyone there but I've got two daughters getting married in the next 5 weeks. Yikes!

Have a great trip!

brianc
07-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Excellent idea to glue in the strips of wood. Thanks for sharing.

tadpole
07-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Marc;

What a great idea! Cheap, fast, and a strong design! I love it. Call it Duct Tape, Gaffer's Tape, or Ordinance Tape it's the multipurpose choice.

frisbee1948
07-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Marc;

What a great idea! Cheap, fast, and a strong design! I love it. Call it Duct Tape, Gaffer's Tape, or Ordinance Tape it's the multipurpose choice.

It works quite well on ducks, too. :evil:

coh
07-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Excellent idea to glue in the strips of wood. Thanks for sharing.
It does work well. I recently made a couple of wet panel carriers completely
out of wood. On the first I chiseled out channels for the paintings (not fun)
and on the second I bought the wood strips and glued them in place (much
better). Two things to be aware of, though - first, it is tough to find wood
strips that are actually straight and true, at least in my experience - they
tend to be warped. Second, the strips have a tendency to "wander" when
clamped so they have to be braced carefully in place (maybe more of a
problem using wood glue than super glue?).

The idea to make the carrier primarily out of the cheap, light and easy to
cut foam core is a nice innovation though, thanks for sharing that idea Marc!

Related issue - since this will be my first long-distance painting trip I'm
wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to bring that I might not
think of. I'm not talking obvious stuff like paint, brushes, etc but ancillary
stuff - such as brush cleaning soap, etc.

midcoast
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Marc -

Wonderful idea!!! Thanks! I LOVE duct tape...now I have yet another use for it :) Have fun on your trip!!!

Chris - depending on where you're going and how far away from stores: extra turps, extra trash bags, sunscreen and bug repellent, paper towels (I usually forget these), DUCT TAPE :) , and more panels than you think you'll need...if I think of more, I'll letcha know.

Nancy

mnpainter
07-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Cool!!!! I made a brush holder out of foam core, it is a very versitile material as well as the DUCT tape!!!! Hey have a good trip and hoping to major (oh yea!! as always) works in the return!!!!!

Ben

coh
07-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Chris - depending on where you're going and how far away from stores: extra turps, extra trash bags, sunscreen and bug repellent, paper towels (I usually forget these), DUCT TAPE :) , and more panels than you think you'll need...if I think of more, I'll letcha know.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy, the duct tape was one that I probably wouldn't have thought
of without this thread!

I did come up with something that I should have in the car anyway, but
didn't when I needed it yesterday - a first aid kit! I inadvertantly sliced my
hand open with a painting knife...didn't realize those things were so sharp!
Had to keep pressure on it for 10 minutes to stop the bleeding, and had
no cleaners or bandages to protect it afterwards.

Of course, the knife was loaded with paint at the time so I probably got
my lifetime requirement of titanium, cadmium, and who knows what else...

Shelley Grund
07-22-2005, 09:25 AM
:clap: Now this one I think I can do - no wood working skills required! I've printed out a copy of your instruction.... Someday I'll make a couple or so of various sizes. THANKS MARC - this is COOL :cool: !
Have a great time in NY :wave: - Can't wait to see pictures of you all and the work produced!