PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of a Whale Tail

mel-o
09-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I think I am putting this in the right place. It is a completely finished painting, but I do have a change I am considering making, and that's where I need your help.

I am unsure about the success of the titanium white acrylic to reacreate the foaming white water streaming off the tail. Does it read as foaming water to you? I used it because the area was masked off, but the streams were too thin. Now, I'm just not sure. I was thinking of adding shadow color with watercolors to give the foaming water more shape and depth. Suggestions?

Also, you are seeing the painting uncropped. I want to crop to maximize the composition focusing on the single subject. I'd love to see or hear suggested crops.

Thanks so much in advance,
mel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2005/8299-P9030001.JPG

jaydiva
09-03-2005, 03:36 PM
What a nice subject!!
i think a little shadow colour to break up the pure white would do it.
What do you think about a little green in the water, just hints of it??

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

pampe
09-03-2005, 07:05 PM
neat idea

I think a little DARKER on the tale.....too close in value to the water IMHO

nice work

mustcreate
09-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I think that there needs to be more of a distinction between the water/foam and the tail colour. Jutta has a good suggestion of green for the water.

Jutta's suggestion of shadows for the water are a good idea.....green would be good!!

love the concept of this....just needs a bit of tweaking and it will be done

crop? I love the severe position of the whale with all that ocean on it's right side.....but I could also see it cropped to a square with both sides of the tail touching the sides of the crop.

em

pampe
09-03-2005, 07:28 PM
hmmm...yes...a glaze of green on the water....good idea

laudesan
09-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Terrific concept!!

Yes mix a little viridian and a teeny bit of hookers green, PRACTICE on scrap paper first, and add it to the water, not all over, just on the depth sside of the water.............and I would darken the tail some Pam is right, it is too close in value to the water, and this is your COI..:)

mel-o
09-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions ladies. I will play with the green.

I have hookers, but I don't think I have veridian. Will have to check that out. The tale is darker in the original, but I think I can go darker too.

Thanks for the crop suggestion also. I feel the same. I like all the big water, but like the square idea too.

Thanks again,
mel

laudesan
09-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Viridian is a must if you are going to paint the ocean.;) Just use very weak wash of hookers green then.

Undersea green is another good colour, it is a mix of fub and quin gold..

CharM
09-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Mel... this is a gorgeous composition... I agree with the others ^^^ about the need for some distinction between the tail and water... hookers will work... start with a weak wash and build it up gradually... I was thinking that a long, narrow crop might work... Play with it in PS till you get what YOU envisioned for this...

mel-o
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for your advice Char! I had played a little with long and narrow before. I need to add that green and then we'll see!

mel

T Christensen
09-07-2005, 03:46 AM
This is a shot I took in alaska that might help with the color..I see black and silver......and notice the reflection........TerryC

laudesan
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Awesome phot Terry. Is it snaggable by any chance?? Please..

T Christensen
09-07-2005, 06:36 PM
sure JJ you can use the phot :p....TerryC

mel-o
09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for that shot Terry. Awesome. Isn't it so much fun to have the chance to snap them live? mine is a small section from a view that was farther away. Looks like you were close. Beautiful!

mel

T Christensen
09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
not suppose to ..we park and turn off motors and wait , this is how close they came , they surprised us...bad photo ( trying to hurry the shot)....Terryc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/64691-whales-wc.jpg

Ian Bruce
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I think the reflection shown in the photo would be just the ticket. It will make the tail jump into 3D and make it absolutely clear that it is above and separate from the foam and water.

laudesan
09-07-2005, 10:20 PM
sure JJ you can use the phot :p....TerryC

Thank you so much, I have put it in my to do file..

What an awesome sight!!!!!!!!!!!

We have them here, and the season has just started, MUSt make the effort to go whale watching..