PDA

View Full Version : An attempt in abstract

Bendaini
01-12-2002, 07:06 PM
I wanted to get some opinions from people who truly like abstract art. These are things i did in acrylics a year ago.

This first is "Johna"

Tell me what you see in the picture, and what you think of it as abstract art in general.

dnip24
01-12-2002, 07:11 PM
excellent picture! Good job!

Wolrab
01-14-2002, 01:41 PM
I like this one. However, the background looks like it was starting to get muddy. The black is very striking.

ThinkSeeDraw
01-14-2002, 06:31 PM
I see it as a cool background, then someone came in with black and wrote there initials on it or something. If the background and the letters were more combined, i would like it. as it is, it doesn't appeal to me.

What did you see?????

Bendaini
01-15-2002, 02:47 PM
what letters?

This is jonah and the whale... the bottom black shape is a fish and the upper one is a face sort of and the background is the roaring ocean. Very simpleistic....

skumble
01-15-2002, 08:47 PM
I saw letters: JM. It kinda looked like you had scanned the signature part of a larger painting. Now that you have explained the shapes, I can see them ... kinda.

To me this work lacks unity. The use of varied color and strong direction in the ground does not fit with the black linear shapes.

For some reason I find my eye constantly wandering over to the blue shape at bottom right - I find its relationship with the green the most interesting element.

My suggestion would be to try to develop interesting shapes using color and mark, and to not think about representing figures as such. Could you suggest the essential emotions of the story just through the use of value, color, shape and mark?

Bendaini
01-15-2002, 09:36 PM
That blue spot was an accident... the blue in the restof it doesnt show up as well, but you are right, it is distracting.

I might be able to change it a bit... but i just did this for myself nothing more so i am not to worried aout it.