PDA

View Full Version : To work or not to work? HELP!!!!

D_Rob
09-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Ok, so now I'm hearing that I should expect around 80-90 hrs of homework a week at AAU so I'm thinking that I probably won't have time to work. So, my question is......................what kind of loan to I get to cover "living expenses,etc"? I've never done this before so I'm kinda lost at the moment. Any input would be much appreciated!

kimeart
09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
You must stay organized and never get behind!!!!! It is very difficult to catch up and your grades will go down. Talk with the financial aid people at school on different types of loans and have them give you information on what else is available and what others are doing to help. I took out a promissory note for my personal school loans. I did this over the Internet. Look under the FAFSA web site for more info also.
Your local bank will also have school loan programs to help you.

Good Luck. I started my classes today

Axl
09-02-2005, 01:49 AM
I donno how much of a loan you should get, but I definately agree with you that its a really really good idea. When I was in school we had similar hour of homework and man they werent kidding!!!! Working a part time job on the side just wasnt happening, unfortunately! So I got in quite a mess when I was having so much homework, and not nearly enough time on the side to work long enough hours to pay the bills.

I'm not in school right now, taking some time off. But if I go back I think being a part time student will definately be my best bet.

Anyways, even with a loan you still might consider working a shift or 2 on the weekends, if you have the time. But its definately good to have your bases covered incase you cant!

Good luck with it :D

artjunkie101
09-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Holy crap. 90 hrs of homework a week = around 12 hours of homework a DAY, leaving a mere 12 hours a day for the rest of your life, including sleep and classes and eating. I'm not sure what school you're at, but I'm glad I'm somewhere different. :) Unfortunately I don't have much financial aid advice... so maybe I shouldn't have bothered posting. But good luck!

christyc82
09-03-2005, 08:34 PM
I took 4 art studios my final semester last year...and I worked 40 hours a week on top of this. How did I manage? Long days, longer nights, lack of sleep, and tons of caffine. Oh I crashed hard at the end of the semester but pulled off a 3.8 so I didnt do too bad. Its all about managing time. If you work fast at homework and can pull off a 10 hour painting in 4 hours, then work. But if you need all 10 hours to complete a painting, then lookin into loans. I took out 4000 a semester and still had to work 40 hour weeks to support myself...

womble
09-03-2005, 11:56 PM
I'll be working part-time and going to school full-time. The good thing is that my work is almost across the street from school

BlackFox
09-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Holy crap. 90 hrs of homework a week = around 12 hours of homework a DAY, leaving a mere 12 hours a day for the rest of your life, including sleep and classes and eating. I'm not sure what school you're at, but I'm glad I'm somewhere different. :)
12 hours!! Man am I not looking forward to college. All I can say is you need reeaaaaally good time management. Wouldn't life be so much easier if we didn't need to sleep? I don't know about the loan, though, sorry...