PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Horse WIP

cpart
08-31-2005, 04:57 AM
Well I think its a quarter horse!

Found the ref photo in the ref lib a while back, always wanted to drwa this one.

Size is approx 10 x 9 inches, on Winsor&Newton 'Lana' paper. I've not used my 'smudge' method so much on this one, certainly not on the legs. Quite please with it so far. The only bit that bothers me is the neck. In the ref photo its not very clear, so I've tried to put in some detail, will have to re-vist that area.

As always all C&C welcome, I'm here to learn.

Thanks for looking.

Splatt!
08-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Stu,

This looks awesome to me. I'm no equine expert, but the neck looks a little thin to me. That said, your work is magnificent.

equineartist21
08-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Head shape is a little off ..he's got a head a bit like a dear.. horses have great cheeks.. lol and Quarter horses have great cheeks at both ends.. (part of their charm) Check the angle of the hind leg closest to us.. from the hock down angle seems too severe

Values are looking great!!!

saffy rose
08-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey cpart, its looking great so far!:clap: :clap: :clap: I love its sheen and the leg detail is amazing! I agree with the comment about the neck being too thin, some horses do have really thin necks, but it does look slightely strange to the viewer! Keep up the good work!:)

lathiel
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi cpart

I think the problem may also be that horses necks tend to taper up towards the neck so this looks too thin as it meets the chest.

lathiel
09-01-2005, 05:19 AM
Having said that, the shading is lovely. You could just imagine yourself running your hand over its coat. The detail on the legs is excellent too. I always think this is the part that makes or breaks a horse drawing, as it is such a complex part of the horse.

cpart
09-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Splatt! - Thank you :D I'll check the neck later.

equineartist21 - Yep the head is a bit 'woolly' compared to the back end! Thanks for the observations and comments, will look at the head again. Horses lower legs always seem to be a problem for me :o This site is great, all these extra pairs of eyes to pick up on these things. Thanks for you for your comments.

saffy rose - Thank you, Yep horses come in all shapes and sizes (onviously). I'll post the ref pic tomorrow. Thanks for looking and commenting.

lathiel - Many thanks also. I had great fun drawing the rear legs (IPod on, glass of wine, no distractions!). Had a look at your web site, amazing paintings and I love the way your site works. Did you design, develop it yourself?

lathiel
09-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi cpart. Yes, I designed and developed the site myself. I like the iPod and glass of wine aspect of your artwork. Very cool!

cyber_holic
09-02-2005, 07:38 AM
beautiful shading and detail :D

cpart
09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Another update. I've worked some more on his head and neck/chest, still not sure that area is right, but it looks better. The tail is not finished yet and the hoofs need to be done. I'll only ground him, not got the courage to do backgrounds yet :eek:

lathiel - I do keep the wine away from the drawing. I'm impressed you did the web site, its very professional.

cyber_holic - Thank you, much appreciated.

As you can see I've also posted the ref photo. Not sure who supplied it, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for looking.

jody007
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
:clap: :clap:
Stu,

Wow this is looking beautiful! I love the shine on his coat! But you might
want check the horse's left ear! It looks alittle out to me. Does your horse have a nostril? you might want to darkern it up just alittle bit where you can see it. But other than that your horse is gorgeous! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jody :D

lathiel
09-02-2005, 01:23 PM
cpart I see what you mean about the photo. The horse has a skinny neck and it is at a difficult angle. You've really done an accurate drawing from the photo.

momof6
09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Ooh- my first view of this latest work of yours, Stu! You've got some really fine detail and such a shine on that coat!

Here are my offerings for you: - the left front knee is a little "over" - bent forward. The reference horse has really straight front legs. Also - the detailed veining makes the horse look a little too lean - especially in the back legs. Perhaps just soften those details a bit?

I'll watch this one to the finish! You've done a really good job on that western saddle!

Cbrooks
09-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Stu, sorry about jumping in here so late. This is really looking very good. I especially like all the values, the sheen, you have on this piece. I have three tiny suggestion if you have not finished this yet. The left ear, to me it looks too far down on the side of his head. If you could raise and highlight the bridle there at the ear, it should move the ear up a tad.. The neck - to me what is making it look to thin, and it's not the neck, is that the head appears to be missing its right jawbone. At that angle, you should be able to see it. Then curve the neck into the throat area just a tad. And like Tracy said, the front leg looks a little bit uncomfortable. Overall, you are doing a great job on this piece and it does really look good.
Charles

cpart
09-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Jody - Thanks, I've done some more, but didn't do any work on the ear. But I did sort out his nose and by his neck. Thanks for your encouragement.

lathiel - Thank you. I suppose the problem with drawing from photos is that viewers of the drawing won't normally see the photo. So it may be right in the photo, but to the viewer of the drawing it looks wrong :( Thanks for commenting.

momof6 - I've worked on the drawing before I saw your comments. I'll check his knee out tonight when I get home. I do tend to draw horses legs a little crooked :mad: I know the veins are a bit OTT, but I quite like them like that, but I'll re-visit when I think he is done. Glad you like the saddle, it was fun to draw. One day I'm going to give Western riding a go, will have to remeber not to do rising trot! Thanks for commenting.

Charles - Don't mind when you jump in, all C&C is welcome. I've worked on this before I read the latest posts. I did do some more on his head but didn't sort the ear out. So tonight I hope to look at his ear and front leg. Thanks for your observations and comments, always appreciated.

Well here is another update. I worked on his head and put in some ground. I also drew in the bit and rope. That is an odd looking bit, only seems to have a ring on one side :confused: couldn't find any photos in my books that looked like that.

Thanks to all the extra eyes here, I know I have to sort his ear and front leg. I've really enjoyed drawing this :D

Anyway shout up if you still see areas that need attention.

Thanks for looking.

jody007
09-05-2005, 11:00 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stu,

Your horse is so beautiful! You did a magnificent job! I always love looking at your work!!!

Jody

cpart
09-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks Jody your comments are always appreciated. Didn't get chance to work on him last night.

cpart
09-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Well I've done the more work. Sorted out the ear, extended the grass and looked at his knee (which looks ok in real life). So I think he's done now.

Thanks for looking.

jody007
09-12-2005, 10:16 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stu,

Excellent,Magnificent!!!!

Jody