PDA

View Full Version : Partners Series #1 (s & L)

mame
01-12-2002, 07:50 AM
18"L x 24"W
Acrylic on wood panel
Please forgive the glare

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2002/Partners_#1_copy.JPG

mame
01-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Let's try this again:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2002/Partners_1_copy.JPG

(reloaded per jnet darling's instructions)

dnip24
01-12-2002, 02:56 PM
I can't see anything!

jnet11
01-12-2002, 04:03 PM
betcha the # symbol in your file name is the problem ... try renaming it and reuploading it.

mame
01-12-2002, 04:56 PM
okey-dokey. Let's see what happens. Will be right back you smart little whippersnapper.

mame
01-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by jnet11
betcha the # symbol in your file name is the problem ... try renaming it and reuploading it.

okay smarty pants. You are a goddess.

jnet11
01-12-2002, 05:32 PM
and am I ever glad! great painting ... the red string is the coup on this one, symbolizing (to me) the strong and the weak, also perhaps since they are so young, speaking to the nature/nurture conundrum.

pleasantly reminds me of amy's sketch of the girl riding a tricycle on a round carpet.

colorme
01-12-2002, 06:36 PM
i like the glasses :)

dnip24
01-12-2002, 06:50 PM
looks awesome and funny! Good job!

ZOTMA
01-12-2002, 07:01 PM
yeah, I'm really glad this made it through too

repetitions are what I find satisfying in this
the shapes created by their twin gestures
heads, bodies, stripes, wheels, dots
what resides upon the top of the head
seems of ever import in your pieces
creating a special role (rewarding the return viewer of your work)
it is the hand of the driven
dependant in yet another way by the strand of red
not necessarily the weaker
as this could be a manipulation
hinted by the placement of the other hand
what resides upon the head may be the state of it
the root of control
the driver driving the driver both with hands at the helm

fun to consider and yet not attempted to solve a (hopefully) inextricable riddle

Gisela
01-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Man, I love your work!
Each time I look at a piece, I like it best...till I see the next one.

Gisela

mame
01-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Txs guys for taking time to look and comment.

This is the first of a series I am doing of couples/partners I know. Obviously not realistic portrayals but my perceptions using symbolic imagery.

Txs again.

Wolrab
01-14-2002, 01:39 PM
I really like your work and can't wait to see as the series evolves.

Mario
01-16-2002, 07:55 PM
I just saw an acrylic painting by Mame, here, that I liked. It looked figurative to me, not what I would think of as Abstract or is it Contemporary? All paintings is an abstraction. Does abstraction mean that one cannot recognise any object? And what does Contemporary mean?
I've seen a few recent works in this forum that I like and feel that maybe I am headed over this way. There is a lot of really silly beginner stuff in this forum also. As if the beginner who discovers that he can produce something green, comes here first. There are some contributions on this page that makes me wish the forum was juried or something. At least in the Oils forum, by the time someone paints with them, they've progressed thru the crayon stage.
And so, any comments about what this forum is all about, what this avenue of art is all about, would be appreciated.
:evil: :angel: :confused: :cool:

AmyH
01-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Abstraction: Imagery which departs from representational accuracy, to a variable range of possible degrees, for some reason other than verisimilitude. Abstract artists select and then exaggerate or simplify the forms suggested by the world around them. The paintings of Pablo Picasso (Spanish, 1881-1973) and Georges Braque (French, 1882-1963) as well as the sculptures of Henry Moore (English, 1898-1987), Barbara Hepworth (English, 1903-1975), and Jacques Lipchitz (Russian-American, 1891-1973) are examples of abstract art. Wassily Kandinsky, (Russian, 1866-1944), was one of the first creators of pure abstraction in modern painting. After successful avant-garde exhibitions, he founded the influential Munich group Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider; 1911-1914), when his paintings became completely abstract. His forms evolved from fluid and organic to geometric and, finally, to pictographic.

contemporary: - Current, belonging to the same period of time. Usually referring to our present time, but can refer to being current with any specified time.

definitions courtesy of:
artlex.com (http://artlex.com)

amy

kelly
01-16-2002, 10:50 PM
I like silly stuff. I despise condescending attitudes and art snobbery.

Anyone have any crayons?

AmyH
01-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Thought I replied to this , but must of missed it til the request for defs on abby and contemp art.

delightful. the mimicking of body movement is very pleasing. superb palette as usual.

amy

AmyH
01-17-2002, 12:14 PM
crayon drwings are sublime

cagathoc
01-17-2002, 01:26 PM
I see a married couple where one person does all the work, carries the load and the other person tries to control them. I'm noticing that in this case it looks like two females.

The red/gold/green color relationships are wonderfully satisfying. I am enjoying also the patterns.

Amazing piece!

:clap:

mame
01-18-2002, 06:55 AM
Cindy - txs for your thoughtful comments.

You are right on re characters. Am doing a series of partners based on my perceptions/observations only.

Trying to express the dynamics between them metaphorically/symbolically.