PDA

View Full Version : Sea Turtle - WIP

Cattleprod Karl
08-30-2005, 06:23 PM
This is the first piece we completed in the Terry Madden class I'm taking. I still have some tweaking to do with shadows and the shell, but this is it for the most part.

22"x30" - Daniel Smith and Daler Rowney paints

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/64827-seaturtle_WC.jpg

Jade Scarlett
08-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Karl:

This is awesome. Love the brilliant, bold colors. Is this the homebased workshop you're talking about? Or are you taking live classes with Terry Madden? I'm asking because I just ordered my first 3 DVD's and I'd like to know if you're enjoying them. Hopefully mine will arrive in a couple of days but it would be good to get an opinion.

Thanks,
Jade

Starsprite
08-30-2005, 07:07 PM
WOW!!! I have a big smile on my face...he is darling!!! What a handsome little sea turtle Karl!! I really like the granulated, mixture of colors on the turtle... excellent!! I like the eye also. Looking forward to seeing the "tweaked" painting when finished. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

CharM
08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi Karl... I've been looking forward to meeting this guy! He's a handsome dude... His shell is beautifully rich in colour... His head and neck wrinkles are really well rendered... Don't forget to post him in the Gallery when he's finished!!!

Cattleprod Karl
08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Jade, Patty, and Char. The class is taught by a Terry Madden certified instructor and the paintings we do in class are all taken from his television show series.

Jade Scarlett
08-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your reply Karl. May I trouble you again? Where do you find a certified instructor? I didn't see anything about it on the site. Is it only in Florida?

Thanks,
Jade

Cattleprod Karl
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Jade, I don't know but I'll ask her when I go next Monday night. I'm not sure where she took the certification class. I just noticed it in the schedule for my local art league classes. I don't think it's only in Florida. Terry Madden is known all over the place.

Jade Scarlett
08-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Thank you so much Karl. From what you're saying, his system of certified instructors might be like Bob Ross's. I hope so, if it is, I'm sure I can find one here. Thanks for volunteering to ask your teacher on Monday.

Jade

mmcaloon
08-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Karl this is looking really good. Don't really know what your going to tweak can't wait to see.

Cattleprod Karl
08-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Thank you so much Karl. From what you're saying, his system of certified instructors might be like Bob Ross's. I hope so, if it is, I'm sure I can find one here. Thanks for volunteering to ask your teacher on Monday.

Jade

No problem, Jade. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's like. Not sure where you'd find a list of "Terry Madden" classes taught by certified instructors. I haven't looked on his website for it...I assume you have? I'll find out for you if there's a special website or something. There must be...in this day and age, there's a website for everything.

Oh, and thanks, Mike. I have to play around with some of the shadows still, delineating between the neck and shell better. Also more on the bottom of the shell near the fin. Well, I don't have to...it's just the nagging critic inside me...

Laurie2
08-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Karl this is working really well....waiting to see your tweaks :)

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Its a beauty!! Really well done. I LOVE Terry Madden! Looks like you're doing wonderfullly....gleaning lots of stuff. I envy you. ;)

laudesan
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Karl... I've been looking forward to meeting this guy! He's a handsome dude... His shell is beautifully rich in colour... His head and neck wrinkles are really well rendered... Don't forget to post him in the Gallery when he's finished!!!

What Char said!!!!

Fabulous..

jaydiva
08-31-2005, 05:04 AM
Ah, the sea turtle!! Karl, he turned out great!!!! I love the vivid colouring and the face a lot. You did really well on the texture of the skin!!!
Can't wait 'til your done tweaking and put him in the gallery!!
But DO NOT fiddle too much

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

Cattleprod Karl
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Laurie2, Becky, JJ, Jutta - thanks so much for your encouragement here. I really want to loosen up my painting and, oddly enough, that takes a lot of work for me. I paint too tightly most of the time. I like the way this one came out, though.

Cattleprod Karl
08-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi there...I sent an e-mail to Terry Madden thru his website and received a response. There's a different website called maddenteacher.com and here's a link for finding an instructor in your state:

http://www.maddenteacher.com/LocateMCT.htm

Hope that helps!

Karl

Strawberry Wine
08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Great Looking Turtle Karl

Love the face and the eye looking right at me.

Cheers,

Gail

aszurblue
09-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Karl, I have one of Terry Madden's books, and I must say, dident see anything like your sea turtle!! This is just outstanding work!!
I have never seen his TV show, so only based on this one book I have, I love his colours and the way he tells you what colour to mix with another to get the colour he has used in the book. But can't draw like he dose. Need to work mine all out first. Also don't care for the (drippy???) style of his finished works in the book. It looks very fast and loose and a little scary for me. But have lurn'ed ton's by mixing colours llike he dose.
All in all I like his book and will get vol 2. when next at the book store. :music:

painterbear
09-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Karl,

Love the turtle's eye and face and his fin and shell are very nice too. IMHO, the background blue looks a little too mottled, maybe another wash over it would bring it up to the level of the turtle, or maybe it is just the photograph. LOL!

Nice painting, well done.

Sylvia

Cattleprod Karl
09-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Gail, Aszurblue, and Sylvia...thanks very much. I do want to add a few things, shadows among them. The background was a very fast wet-in-wet and I've thought about working it a bit more, too. I appreciate your comments.

aszurblue
09-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Karl, found the other book, saw the sea turtle in it, but like your's much better!! :clap:

Cattleprod Karl
09-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Wow, really? I haven't seen Terry's version of it. We just used the basic line patterns and traced them onto the watercolor paper. Thanks!