PDA

View Full Version : Red, White and Apple

ponting
08-29-2005, 11:32 PM
This was a demo piece I did for and with an advanced class this past spring....They all finished theirs but the teacher here didn't get her homework finished until now. Tsk Tsk :o

I just posted the resource photo to the image library should anyone care to have a go at it.

Soft Pastel
10 x 13
C & C welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple.jpg

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Artaholic
08-29-2005, 11:38 PM
You did say that this is the ref. picture for a minute there I was wondering. Nice still life arrangement :)

ponting
08-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Gerry...this is a pastel that I did of the photo that I just posted to the ref library. Does that make better sense?? :p

Cheers, Dianna

Barrynotlarry
08-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Wow very snappy and eye catching. Love it.
Barry

ponting
08-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Thank you Barry....not Larry :p That is an excellent description of just what I was looking for when I took the photos. Something with pizazz that gave them some challenges in folds, stripes and silver ending up with a painting that couldn't help but jump out at them when they were done.

There were some marvelous paintings completed. In fact one of them was posted on here a while back. If she is out there reading this, I do wish she would post it here so you can all see how well she did. Perhaps we could get some more out there interested in completing one and share the thread. That would be fun.

Cheers, Dianna

SMARA
08-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Umm - I think maybe you confused your painting with the ref pic? No? Absolutely stunning in the detail.
Aletta

billiam
08-30-2005, 05:19 AM
magnificently done. bill

valchina612
08-30-2005, 05:49 AM
Abolutely stunning Dianna. It is totally unbelievable what you can do with your pastels. I am in total awe. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Dark_Shades
08-30-2005, 05:53 AM
I just posted the resource photo to the image library should anyone care to have a go at it.

Simply Stunning Dianna, lol you bet, can be a warm up for your workshop lolol..... should take me till then :D (have a feeling it could be worse than green leaves lolol)
ps, meant me doing the painting not your workshop lol

*Marina*
08-30-2005, 06:59 AM
:cat: Beautiful!

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Sensational! I'll go take a peek at the ref. photo, but not being a still life'er, not sure I could do even an "inth" in justice to what you've done here.

To add confusion, here is a link to the photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=52838&limit=last1

:evil:

Karen Margulis
08-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Beautiful as always!!! I so admire your work! I am tempted to give it a try but it would really be a stretch for me as I am 'still-life' challenged! But it would be interesting to see how others intepret the same reference photo!
Karen

ponting
08-30-2005, 11:53 AM
... I am 'still-life' challenged! But it would be interesting to see how others intepret the same reference photo!

That would be the fun of it Karen and Kat.....I would love to try your Bryce Canyon Kat. Since I am still-life challenged. Is that your reference for from the library? Huh? Huh? (Batting eyes here)

Thank you everyone else for your gracious comments but I would rather see your pastels.

This is a fairly flat painting I am sure someone could add a lot more dimention to thier version with the introduction of some exciting colours.

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Ahhh, so we are being challenged! I have to do some paintings for a food related theme show - so I may have to bow out on this one, for now. BUT, I will call on you for help with my still lifes. And, are you saying you are still-life challenged. Who says?

Trilby
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
(Ackkkkkk) I edited TJ's post!!! Will go see if I can find it. If not, TJ - repost. Such is the life of a Mod with too many software tools and too fast fingers.

My profuse apologies!

ponting
08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Oh Kay.....PJ has the right of it.....not only is my mind in another place but I am landscape challenged. :( Woe is me....I hang my head in shame. I do them on occasion or when I have to fill in a background but they are sorely lacking. I did nowever do one from the library with my students that I do like. I will post it....I think it is finished but unlike still life. I never know for certain. I will combine it with one that is lacking :o

Cheers, Dianna

decoratorgirl
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Exquisite!!!!!!!!!!

Trilby
08-30-2005, 01:25 PM
ROFLMAO Kat, I didn't know we could zap another's post. That opens up evil posibilities:) Looks like Dianna read the message though, even if she got our names spoofed. All I was saying was she meant landscape challenged. Then went into rhapsodies about this rhapsodic work. Then took her challenge to do a Ponting painting better than Pointing--like it's ever gonna happen. Thanks for the PM Kat.
TJ

juneto
08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Dianna , did I say this was wonderful ? Dianna this is Wonderful!
Think I saw it too late last night and couldn't remember if I responded.
You are a super Artist !
June

Rose Baggs
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM
What can I say Dianna? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I could attend your classes...
Have you ever done a "demo" of your still lifes? If so...do you have a link to it? I'd like to see it. Thanks!!!!!!

ponting
08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Thank you Leslie :D

TJ. You asked .....in your none existent post if this was done from a set up or from a photo...Good question....It was done from the resource photo. These classes are only 3 hours long once a week so even if I had wanted to st it up, it wouldn't have been feasible so I supplied everyone with a photo.

June...Thank you ...and Thank you!! :p

Rose. No I haven't but I will do so if you wish with the one that I am going to start today. I will put a link here once I begin posting. :)

Ciao....Dianna :wave:

Trilby
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Dianna sent me my zapped post (don't ask me how she did it) so here it is:

Kat, I think she meant land scape challenged, but I'm not buying that one either,however is the reference to your Bryce Cny available or are you keeping that one? Perhaps other references for the library.

Dianna, this is beautiful. Was the still life set up for the students or did they work from the photo? May I post this in my Association's newsletter?

you've thrown out quite a challenge--Do a ponting painting better than Ponting. Wow. Hope to give it a try,however. As Dawn says, good warmup for your workshop we hope to have here, and for a still life I'm trying to set up. I'm lousy with the set ups.

This has such pop and while it could be mistaken for the photo it has the transcendence that makes painting from a photo worthwhile.

THIS GIVES ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE BACK MY REQUEST FOR your ref Kat. Several of us have urged you to enter this in a big competition and it wouldn't do to have a bunch of other ones floating around the world, though I wouldn't mind it on my own wall :) There are a lot of good references available, and I will look for one of those.

Dianna, thankyou for answering my question. Of course in a weekly deal, it would be difficult to leave a set up. I find painting from photos easier, but when I paint from life there is more life in the painting, so maybe what we need to do is set up something similar and try from real life.

Still need to know. May I publish your painting in our Association Newsletter?
TJ

CindyW
08-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Dianna, the red and white against the deep shadow is so strrrrrrr-i-king!!!
Beautiful.
Cindy

ponting
08-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Still need to know. May I publish your painting in our Association Newsletter?
You may do whatever you like with it TJ. I am honoured.

Cindy that comeback sounded just as striking as you say the painting is. :D Thanks so much

Cheers, Dianna

DebG
08-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Holy mackerel! I am humbled and awed by this, and I may never post my scratchings here again...

I may just have to come up to BC and take your class (not the advanced one!) Hmm, wonder how long a drive it is from Orange County, New York?

Deb

Orchidacea
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Deb, you must pick me up along the way...we can take turns at the wheel. On the way to the BEGINNER's class, that is.

Dianna, there are no more ways left to say "wow," so I'll just dribble a little drool in here..:.';.'.:..; Um, those are flecks of enthusiam striking the monitor--you may wish to cover your face as you read.

I really, really want to try that reference, but I think I need another year or two of practice.

pjo
09-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Dianna-this is just beautiful, so striking and the shine on your pot is just perfect. I'm amazed at the beautiful details you are able to get in your painting. I'm another still life challenged painter, I think I've only tried two or three, but seeing your beautiful work makes me want to keep on trying. Thank you for posting this and your other works for us to see.

Nancy Leone
09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Diane,

Your work is so, so......beyond words.

Thank you for sharing your reference photo. I took a workshop with Albert Handell and he recommended that I (try to) paint blue and white vases with silver objects because my work was usually too dark. So this is perfect...a Diane Ponting reference photo of red, white and silver. Attempted it last night. Put in a couple hours....realized I don't have many red pastels...so, thank you for the excuse to buy more pastels! Not sure if I'm brave enough to post my attempt here.....we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your cyber teaching.

BruceF
09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Wow. This is stunning. :)

ponting
09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Holy mackerel! I am humbled and awed by this, and I may never post my scratchings here again...
I appreciate your humour but one could never consider your lovely red fox scratchings!!

I may just have to come up to BC and take your class (not the advanced one!) Hmm, wonder how long a drive it is from Orange County, New York?
You don't even want to know. The next time I'm in NY city I will let you and your drooling friend know :p

... so I'll just dribble a little drool in here..:.';.'.:..; Um, those are flecks of enthusiam striking the monitor--you may wish to cover your face as you read.
I love the drool so much that I will have to use it somewhere down the line!!! :clap:

I really, really want to try that reference, but I think I need another year or two of practice.
NEVER....There is no time like the present....just be very positive in your use of colour here.....don't poke at it...apply lots of pastel so that very little blending or smoothing is needed. Use a Soft Pitt Charcoal pencil for the darks in the silver and an SMI black for the large darks elsewhere. Go for it.... :)
Thank you PJ I am so happy to hear when I actually inspire someone to work ....rather than hide like Deb suggested :p ....(joking here Deb) :p

Not sure if I'm brave enough to post my attempt here.....we'll see how it goes.
I'm counting on seeing it Nancy!! No 'ifs, 'ands' or 'buts' :D

Cheers and thanks so much eveyone....Dianna

ponting
09-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Thank you Bruce. You must have sneaked in there under the radar whilst I was busy composing my post..... :wave: Hi!!

Cheers, Dianna

Susan Borgas
09-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Dianna your work always leaves me speechless. If it wasn't for the twelve landscapes I am yet to paint before the middle of November I would give this a go.......how is that for an excuse to avoid having a go at painting your reference photo…. I shake in my boots thinking about the very idea of having a go and not from excitement either…. Te he

ponting
09-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Dianna your work always leaves me speechless.
Well there you go.....another mutual admirations society of two!! I say exactly the same thing about your landscapes. And I also will hide behind my still life paintings yet to do for my November show but I promise you .....if you I will try one of your landscapes.....someday :D

Meisie
09-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Gorgeous! Love all the red! have a 'thing' for red and the silver....would love to give it a try!

I snagged that ref from the library the other day...Thank you!

Meisie

ponting
09-03-2005, 03:15 AM
Good for you Meisie :clap: :clap: ....I hope I get to see it!! Cheers, Di :wave:

Paula Ford
09-03-2005, 12:42 PM
WOW <eyes popping out of head>

I'm speachless!!

Paula

Meisie
09-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Good for you Meisie :clap: :clap: ....I hope I get to see it!! Cheers, Di :wave:

You most likely will....as I'll probably need your help ;)

First I'm doing the pear on the green plate that you posted! Love that pic too! Going to do a quick cleaning job on the house today so I can get drawing :D

Meisie

ponting
09-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Thank you so much Paula :wave: and Meisie that plate has been in my family for over 140 years. It looks a little worse for wear which is why I love to paint it but also the heigth of the raised pattern gives so much to work with when it is photographed like this.. with the light source so low to the horizon. Have fun and I would love to see it when it's done...

Cheers, Dianna

pastelist
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
All great paintings are worth the wait. I absolutely love your painting! Thanks for sharing!

ponting
09-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Thank you Patricia. You believe are mainly a portrait painter, does this mean there is a still life artist hiding deep down inside?

Cheers, Dianna

*Deirdre*
09-04-2005, 05:54 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Fabulous Diana! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I do envy those who can attend your workshops! :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy:

ponting
09-04-2005, 08:40 AM
I don't know if I can handle all of those clappies Deidre...where will I store them all? Such profusion will make my head swell far too large. :p

I see your chipmunk made it onto your signature bar......lookin' good!!

Thanks Sunshine.......Dianna :cat:

*Deirdre*
09-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Dianna...you will have to have a house extension built...those clappies will keep coming! :evil:
I've just spent ages on your website...again! Mouth open....wishing! I see you are coming here in 2006....so how near to Suffolk do you get? :wink2:

ponting
09-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I've just spent ages on your website...again! Mouth open....wishing! I see you are coming here in 2006....so how near to Suffolk do you get? :wink2:
:p Thanks for the visit Deirdre. As for the other, I will first have to find Suffolk on my map ;) ...then I will let you know when I know. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

K Taylor-Green
09-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Well, there isn't a dang thing to be said that hasn't already been said. So consider me eye poppin green, with some drool thrown in. How in the WORLD do you make inanimate objects glow with such life?

ponting
09-04-2005, 01:28 PM
How in the WORLD do you make inanimate objects glow with such life?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2005/34523-thinking.jpg Lots of rich colour????

Thanks Kate!! Cheers, Di :cat:

Meisie
09-05-2005, 02:34 AM
That is very interesting Dianna! I was wondering if I should paint the plate 'fixed' or chips and all...now it'll be chips and all, for sure! I love old stuff like that! If it could tell us some stories ;)
and I'll show it to you when it is something to look at...:)

Meisie

tURBOCAT
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Diana - just stunning. The choice of the red stripes is a knockout. And beautiful execution to boot.

Johnnie

ponting
09-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Thaaaaannnnks Johnnie!! :p Looking forward to it Meisie :wave:

ponting
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Well I am so thrilled.....I have seen the first (almost finished) version of this piece.....an acrylic by Kristakaye and I have invited her to cross post ito my thread here so you all can see what a great job she did of making it uniquely her own.

Way to go Krista!! Finish that quickly!!

Cheers, Dianna :clap:

krystakaye
09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Dianna, I FINALLY MADE IT HERE! lol I am working to finish so I can post my version of your reference photo here. I am THRILLED with being asked to add it to your thread. I'm not sure I do it as much justice as your beautiful work but I just fell in love with the reference and am so thankful to you for adding it to the reference library! I will finish it up today and post the final soon :). It is acrylic 11x14. Stay tuned...;)

ponting
09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
She is being very modest!!

krystakaye
09-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Bless your heart Dianna! Thank you so much for your support. I am so excited to be a visitor in this forum. I played with pastels in high school-mainly conte' chalks, but haven't ventured out on any other expense lately except for acrylic paints.
I finished this painting today... Of course everytime I "THINK" I'm finished I hang my canvas on a thumbtack on the wall while it cures for a few days before varnishing...it never fails I see something more that I want to do and take it back to the easle! lol. Well, here is the 11x14 canvas, Golden Fluid Acrylics....If you wonder why my lines get a little wavey at times...here is my helper, too! :) At 35 I started painting-it was this past May when I purchased my first canvas. I had tinkered in watercolor in high school (YES, A MILLION YEARS AGO it feels like!) and have done pencil drawings off and on my whole life. I am just learning about color I feel like. What an adventure!:) I have worked as a graphic artist doing computer aided drawings for many years, I feel as though that has taken away from my artisitc abilities that I had at one time, as far as seeing things as they really are (or at least in my mind anyway).
Looking at Dianna's then mine...eek.... I see I could use more work on the handle as well as the depth of the fabric...oh well, another day perhaps!
So, I will quit rambling now...lol. Thanks for inviting me to this forum! AND THANKS AGAIN FOR POSTING SUCH A LOVELY AND INTERESTING REFERENCE PHOTO!!!!! :) :)
*SORRY my picture of my painting is not super clear (low resolution). I used my camcorder to get it onto the computer....wanted to get it in here quickly as I was excited to be able to get it in here!
Krysta Kaye

ponting
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
ALL RIGHT!! Didn't I tell you this was great. I love the shift to the darker apple breaking up the sameness of my version along with the lightening of the background. You did wonderful job of the silver especially in the hot spots.

Thanks Krysa now that you have broken the ice, perhaps we will see some more versions. :p

Cheers, Dianna

Bringer
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I may get nuts and try to paint this !

Regards,

José

P.S. I may be abble to finish it before Christmas

krystakaye
09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks Dianna! I do hope to see more versions! It is always so interesting to see what others see in the same things and how they are interpreted.
Jose, It took me longer to draw this out onto the canvas than to paint it I think! lol I usually paint on 18x24 canvas, but this one, I think I would still be drawing it onto the canvas if I did it that big! lol I think I have about ten or 11 hours in this one. Of course that is over the course of a couple days letting the acrylic layers dry, cooking supper, changing diapers, etc while it was drying....lol. GOOD LUCK and I hope to see your version! :)

Meisie
09-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Nice job Krysa!!! You're setting the bar high! ;)

Meisie

ponting
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Isn't she though....hurry with your pears.....we'll wait for yours :D you too José!! :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Hello! Just pretend I said all the nice, but true things above. And me just finding this a week late. Maybe I should try this in watercolor. Doubt if I could even match your vibrancy. I have painted animals and very subdued natural colors for so long, I think I'd scare myself! Beautiful Dianna, just beautiful.

ponting
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe I should try this in watercolor.
From what I have seen of your work it would be a smash...go for it.....I DARE YA!! : :p I DOUBLE DARE YA!!! :D

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 03:33 PM
From what I have seen of your work it would be a smash...go for it.....I DARE YA!! : :p I DOUBLE DARE YA!!! :DOh crap ... :eek:

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 04:06 PM
oooooo!

I double-dog dare you!!

*maniacal laughter* Hahahahahahahahahaha!!

:D

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 04:21 PM
oooooo!

I double-dog dare you!!

*maniacal laughter* Hahahahahahahahahaha!!

:DYou two think you're cute don't ya ... don't suppose there is a way out of this ...

ponting
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Not on your life......... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-laught30.gif

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Not on your life......... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-laught30.gifBut, but ... Grumble, grumble ... :music: Sweet talk work? :music: Blink, blink :angel:

Meisie
09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Too late for sweet talk....double fudge dog dare..... :D

Meisie

(the pear is blocked in...stupid migraine...no promises :rolleyes: come to think of it...I could make a really psychedylic pear today <groan>

krystakaye
09-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Meisie-Thank you, I really appreciate that vote of confidence! I think it was Dianna that set the BAR!!!! I just LIMBOED UNDER IT...Dianna is the trend setter-I am just one who has fallen into PEER PRESSURE! lol. :D HAVE YOU STARTED YOURS YET????

Judith I saw your artwork on your site... :clap: I AM CERTAIN you can handle the challenge! I would love to see this in watercolor! Can't wait to see!!!! With such a DARE HOW COULD YOU REFUSE???? :confused:

Sweet Baby J, I saw how you handle glass in the acrylics forum when you showed us your version of what NITSA was working on... I can't wait to see YOUR VERSION of this as well! :cat:

:)

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I think I am back to my first post. "Oh cr*p ... :eek:

You all have no idea how long it has been since I've done a watercolor. Thanks for the encouragement krystakaye sort of. Bigger thanks for getting SweetBabyJ on the list! :wave: Hellooo :wave: ... peer pressure is no fun at all. :D Then there is meisie, SweetBabyJ and ponting who have a whole nother encouragement technique.

I um..er..um downloaded the photo ...

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Who said *I* was doing it??? I've got one on the easel, one badgering me from its corner (that's where bad paintings go, turned to the wall) and two in the rough idea stage- maybe by Christmas...?

However, Dianna, you could easily make this a Project- officially- by submitting it to the "Art Project System" found under "Content" on the blue bar above. Then it gets put on the front page of the site and gets LOTS of takers.

Just being my usual helpful self; :D I'm the nice one, remember? :angel:

ponting
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
You guys don't need me here ......your having far too much fun on your own. I will just sit back and enjoy :D :wave: ...with my wine of course....

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Krystakaye "Sweet Baby J, I saw how you handle glass in the acrylics forum when you showed us your version of what NITSA was working on... I can't wait to see YOUR VERSION of this as well!" She said so she did!

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 06:15 PM
You guys don't need me here ......your having far too much fun on your own. I will just sit back and enjoy :D :wave: ...with my wine of course....Wine, that's what I need instead of whine ... makes the medicine go down! :p

What a watercolor THIS will be!!!

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I ain't gettin' out of this one, am I?

I still think it should be made a project, though... and I definately need wine. Definately.

Oh gawd- RED...!!

Okay- look- gimme a week or two, okay? I can't start yet another piece right now. Right before I do the stilettos on the martini glass- promise.

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I ain't gettin' out of this one, am I?

I still think it should be made a project, though....Hehehehehe .... nope .... :evil: :D

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 06:19 PM
"I'll get you my pretty!"

Do we have tahkillya, too? I might need some....

Orchidacea
09-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Project! Project! Project!

If it's something I have to actually sign up for, I'm much more likely to finish it. (I have a bad painting corner too...and I've only done a few paintings....)

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
See?

And the crowd takes up the chant!! "Project! Project!! Project!!"

Now you've been roped in, too, Kim :music: ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha :music:

ponting
09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
However, Dianna, you could easily make this a Project- officially- by submitting it to the "Art Project System" found under "Content" on the blue bar above. Then it gets put on the front page of the site and gets LOTS of takers.
Sounds like great fun.....whadda we call it? and it's not as easy as that....there is no nice little person at the other end of the blue bar saying "Welcome Dianna...here's how you do this" I would have to learn something new. I don't know if I can do that today. Maybe if I have a long, long bubble bath and reeeally, reeeallly scrub my mind clean there will be room there for something new.

Di :cat:

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 06:44 PM
"I'll get you my pretty!"

Do we have tahkillya, too? I might need some....Am I going to have to haul you off to see the Wizard?

ponting
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Lordy Lordy.....there are 5 new posts here before I even get mine up. What is this a chat line?...I know it's a PARTY LINE :music: :clap: :music: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-Dancing_Emoticon.gif

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Lordy Lordy.....there are 5 new posts here before I even get mine up. What is this a chat line?...I know it's a PARTY LINE :music: :clap: :music: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-Dancing_Emoticon.gif

And if I don't get away from this PARTY LINE :music: :clap: :music: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-Dancing_Emoticon.gif pretty quick, I'll be the last one posting sometime in January!!

Kathryn Wilson
09-07-2005, 06:56 PM
We were planning on offering a still life project for the pastel forum starting in mid-September and is already in the works (being drafted) - we are also going to post a Poll for future projects - so let's see how that turns out.

The members can then let us know about Dianna's project.

krystakaye
09-07-2005, 07:02 PM
What a FUN PLACE TO BE!!! :D I am so glad I came to visit.... Hope no one 'KICKS ME OUT' before I get to see EVERYONE'S version!!!! :crying:

I think I'll kick back with some wine myself...waiting to see who is next.... HMMMM, we should present a PRIZE for the next one, don't you think? A ribbon? BOWS of unworthyness from the rest of us??? I haven't used my merit or mentor vote for this month yet...hmmmm....bribary anyone??? kidding.

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 07:07 PM
What a FUN PLACE TO BE!!! :D I am so glad I came to visit.... Hope no one 'KICKS ME OUT' before I get to see EVERYONE'S version!!!! :crying:

I think I'll kick back with some wine myself...waiting to see who is next.... HMMMM, we should present a PRIZE for the next one, don't you think? A ribbon? BOWS of unworthyness from the rest of us??? I haven't used my merit or mentor vote for this month yet...hmmmm....bribary anyone??? kidding.Ummm ... I've got some Takara Plum wine that is to die for .... hum huh???

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
*whispered* ummm... "bribery" means they give to you, not you give to them....

prolly all that thin air in Colorado....

*brightening* Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain...!

Orchidacea
09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
oooooooh Juuuuuulieeeee....

I will if you will! :evil:

ponting
09-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Can't get kicked out of here Krysta. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-Dancing_Emoticon.gif I don't know what it is about my threads......perhaps they are drag out too long for everyone seems to get punch drunk at the end. At first I thought it was just the result of it being happy hour in the pacific northwest but when I check all of the participating time zones I find the we have people actually staying up late just to hurl insults at one another. It obviously is fullfulling some function....I just haven't figured out what yet :confused: :D But do feel free to express yourself....everyone else does!!! :wink2:

Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
09-07-2005, 07:36 PM
*whispered* ummm... "bribery" means they give to you, not you give to them....

prolly all that thin air in Colorado....

*brightening* Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain...!
I haven't used my merit or mentor vote for this month yet...hmmmm....bribary anyone??? kidding.*Whispering back* .. Notice krystakaye is the one who said she had points to spend on bribery ... I was just hoping no one would notice. Never know what you might get away with!

O beware the one who hides behind the curtain, for she is the sneakiest!

SweetBabyJ
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Danged curtain! It obviously made me miss something subtle- that you were not offering Kyrsta plum wine. In which case, I'll have hers!

and...

That Dianna is the BEST hostess!! I'm coming to all her parties from now on!

:D

*Deirdre*
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey you guys :wave: ...pass the bottle please! You might need a long reach to get it over here...but that's NO excuse! :evil:

ponting
09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Hey you guys :wave: ...pass the bottle please! You might need a long reach to get it over here...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-emailinbottle.gif Coming your way.......Spit out the paper. :p

*Deirdre*
09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/34523-emailinbottle.gif Coming your way.......Spit out the paper. :p
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/33616-30494-11613-Laughin_My_Butt_Off.gif
Cheer Dianna! :wave: Hic!

krystakaye
09-08-2005, 04:39 PM
"TICK, TICK, TICK" Who will be next???? HMMMMMM......

*Deirdre*
09-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I think there will be a few more...it is in this weeks WDE!!! I can't resist...it must be fate or summink! :evil:

ponting
09-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Good for you Deirdre....you've certainly got the reds for it. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

Luvy
09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
This is absolutely beautiful. The reds the silver, What a great piece I feel like I could pick up that pot right out of the painting.

ponting
09-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks Luvy ....your welcome to take up the challenge also :D

Dianna :cat:

khourianya
09-09-2005, 11:26 PM
I noticed this one in the WDE this week...should be interesting to see everyone's take on it...

Orchidacea
09-09-2005, 11:26 PM
I just printed the reference photo....

Fort Meyer
09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
I think there will be a few more...it is in this weeks WDE!!! I can't resist...it must be fate or summink! :evil:This is embarrassing, but what is this weeks WDE ... I'm guessing a news letter, and where will I find it?

Thank you, thank you ... :D

Fort Meyer
09-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I just printed the reference photo....If you are referring to the "Red, White and Apple" ... Wow! That was fast. I have't even gotten my brushes out yet! :o :envy:

SweetBabyJ
09-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Look in the All Media Art Events Forum, under "9/10 WDE references here" top thread. (Town Center)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293870

Fort Meyer
09-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Look in the All Media Art Events Forum, under "9/10 WDE references here" top thread. (Town Center)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293870Thank you for the info Julie... think I have it figured out now, and finding lots of neat stuff. How does anyone complete a painting in a day/weekend? I'm so slow. My major pieces usually take about 320 hours. That is 40 days if I only paint 8 hours a day. They usually at least take a full month. I feel so inadequate in this good company ... Sigh ... :D

SweetBabyJ
09-10-2005, 12:16 AM
De nada. I live to serve. 'Sides, I'm the NICE one.... :D

Fort Meyer
09-10-2005, 01:02 AM
De nada. I live to serve. 'Sides, I'm the NICE one.... :D*chuff* *choke* *snort* *eyes glazing* *recovering* perdóneme usted? :rolleyes: :D

ponting
09-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Ditto!!

krystakaye
09-10-2005, 04:42 AM
You all are so funny! I love it!
Want to know how I paint? First of all, you have to COLOR=Red]HAVE NO LIFE.... [/COLOR] and I don't sleep. Okay I sleep, just in abbriviated amounts. lol ( NOW, if I could NOT EAT all the time instead of not sleeping-WOW, What a happy camper I would be! lol ) THEN you have to live in an extremely humid environment where if you step outside, you are completely miserable-this keeps you inside...and you can only clean your house for SO LONG! The anxiety disorder of seeing something unfinished probably helps too! LOL KIDDING....sort of...hmmmmm

krystakaye
09-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I just saw where you, Dianna, invited those in WDE to join in.... I keep waiting to see who it will be to post in here next...:)

ponting
09-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Yup.....come on over....when they see how much fun we all are over here we're gonna making converts of of the bunch. :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

*Deirdre*
09-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I know you're all here...but I haven't finished my version yet...it may take some time! :evil: SOMEBODY shined the damn sugarpot!! :evil: :p
Hah! She forgot that she was reflected in it too! So we know who it was! :wink2:

katju
09-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi Diana and all you wonderful pastellists,

I didn't realize that this photo was so "hot". LOL. Thanks for sharing it with the reference library so I could choose it for the WDE. ;) I meant to take a peek at your site to see if you'd done it, Diana. It is fabulous as are all your beautiful paintings of children...Maybe some day I will take a shot at pastel.

Kathy :wave:

ponting
09-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Well Kathy that wasn't very nice. :( You toss us a little bone and run away. Git on back here girl. We wanna see the painting right here. Don't we guys???? KATHY, KATHY, KATHY!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

No fooling......Dianna

katju
09-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Here I am :D Are you asking to see my painting of this photo????

I better get to work!!

Kathy

ponting
09-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Yes ma'am we would love to see your work and since many of us are unfamiliar with your type of work you might tell us a little about it or why you chose to paint it or perhaps you strove to make it different in some way. You're free to do as much or as little as you like here.....either way we are pleased to have you.

cheers, Dianna ....y'all come back now. :cat:

*Deirdre*
09-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Dianna...I had to stay up to finish at least one of them! 4am here!
Here's my attempt at your fabulous photo!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2005/33616-apple3.jpg

khourianya
09-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Dianna, this piece is just one of a million reasons you are on my "Workshops I MUST Attend" list. I'll keep watching for dates that work with my schedule. How far out from Vancouver are you?

Chiers
09-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Gee it looks like ya'all are having too much fun in here! :wave:

Thanks for the invitation to post my digi painting in your thread Dianna. For anyone who is not familiar with digital painting this is painted the same way it would be if I were using traditional paint and canvas, only done on a computer screen with a wacom graphics pad instead.

SweetBabyJ
09-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Good work, Sherry- a wacom isn't as easy as people think, I know. Good on you!

And Deirdre- you DID IT! It's very well done- nice form, good clean colours, and a lovely shine. Congratulations!

finedreams
09-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Dianna! You already saw it, but I am not sure if you saw a final version. Here is mine in colored pencil. Done last night and fixed up today a little. I gave it to my mom tonight for her birthday. Olgahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/65757-redapplefinal.jpg

finedreams
09-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Deirdre, what medium is it? Sherry, I just had a conversation with my cousin's husband about wacom (or other version). He is an artist, but they have triplets, who are not even two years old, so art is the last thing he can do now LOL So he does that computer thing because it is not messy. I got intrested in it. I never even heard of it! So how does it look when you print it out? and can you print it out? How is it called if let's say you enter art show-digital art? And can you enter art show? Overall does it feel the same way as if you are painting? Sorry, for too many questions, but honestly I never even heard of it prior to this evening! Olga

ponting
09-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Deirdre.....if you are this dedicated just for fun....you're the lady I want to work with in a crunch. You have way more than 4 gears and when you get in overdrive there is no stopping you. 4 am???? I'm lucky to make it past 10 without nodding off. :clap: :clap: :clap: Wonderful silver and I love your unique take on the colours. Makes mine look fairly staid. In fact all of these express such individuality!!

Cori...depending how far into Vancouver you are thinking of, I'm 30 to 45 minutes from town. 45 from the Federation Gallery out in God's country :D Next time I go to Saskatchewan to teach, maybe we can set something up in your area on the way through. :cat: My son lives in Calgary so it's a great place for me to stop over.

Sherry thanks so much for coming on over. I am so facinated with what you digital artists can do with a little pen and a good program. Come on back and visit us any time. Great piece, wonderful colour and you really flatter the photo. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And here is Olga....I can't believe the speed at which you work in pencils. Awesome lady......now you didn't tell us how thrilled your Mom was to get this....'cause I know she had to be. Great work!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for taking my double dare and Julie's double dog dare....you guys rock!!

Night all!! :wave: Dianna

khourianya
09-11-2005, 12:58 AM
hmmm *rubbing chin* Good to know (though, even if your son didn't live here, I have a beautiful guest room you could stay in :D ) Perhaps our FCA chpter could get you out here for a workshop. Our monthly meeting is next week so maybe I'll talk to Rex (our workshop guy) and see what he thinks! I'm sure we could get a full house together for you after so many people drooled over your pieces at Art Fusion!

Chiers
09-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Deirdre, what medium is it? Sherry, I just had a conversation with my cousin's husband about wacom (or other version). He is an artist, but they have triplets, who are not even two years old, so art is the last thing he can do now LOL So he does that computer thing because it is not messy. I got intrested in it. I never even heard of it! So how does it look when you print it out? and can you print it out? How is it called if let's say you enter art show-digital art? And can you enter art show? Overall does it feel the same way as if you are painting? Sorry, for too many questions, but honestly I never even heard of it prior to this evening! Olga

Yes it can be printed. I rarely send mine out because I just paint mainly for my own pleasure but I have had a couple I sent out with very good results. I do print out often on my home printer and although it takes some tinkering to get the colors right sometimes they usually print out very well. Some shows do take digital work but as I said I just paint for myself and friends/family so really know less than nothing about shows since I have only shown my work once in a small show that came to me and asked me to show my work. Thats another story...

Does it feel like I'm painting? Over all, yes. Different, but the same. It has lots of advantages over traditional painting but of course for me anyway could never replace it.

Here are a couple screen shots of the program I paint in most. Painter9. Shot of blank canvas with one list of available tools. There are many. And the colors and palette I used for my silver pot and apple pick. Maybe this will give you an idea.

I don't want to take up any more room in this thread but feel free to pm me if you have more questions. Also we have a great digital painting forum at WC.
Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33)

krystakaye
09-11-2005, 03:34 AM
WOW!!! I am so thrilled to see all of these!!!! I have to admit how dumb I am feeling.... I have been calling this a tea pot.... I THINK ALL OF THE HEAT HERE HAS GOTTEN TO MY BRAIN!!!! It just reminded me of my grandmother's tea pot that we got to use on Sunday dinners... SORRY, I WAS HAVING A PREMATURE SENIOR MOMENT THERE!!!!!

Deirdre, WONDERFUL! I had mentioned BRIBARY the other day in this thread for the next person to post thier finished pot and apple in this forum.....AND YOU DESERVE THE PRIZE!!!!! WELL DONE! (Now I just have to be in this forum long enough to give you the merit badge!!!! I'll find a way....it is on it's way!!!!!)

Sherry, How delightful! Very interesting information as well, thanks so much for sharing!!!!

Olga, colored pencil... wow, this looks fabulous!!!!

RUNEMASTER
09-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Pretty amazing.How do you get that smooth paint-like effect with pastels? I cannot even fathom????

HRH Goldie
09-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi Diana, I feel a bit like a naughty child peeking in through a window where I really shouldn't be looking lol but had to say your work is absolutely brilliant. I find it incredible that you can still find something to be self critical about. The mention of other people putting more life and colour into their work as yours was flat??????!!!!! Those reds just pop out of my screen and my eyes dance a jig around the whole painting. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Clappies seem a bit tame here but please take them in the spirit they are given. :wink2:
I have loved reading all of the posts here and laughed through them too.
All of the versions make me feel so inadequate as they are all beautiful paintings. Olga - I bet your Mum was absolutely thrilled with yours.
Deirdre - well you know I love this one.
Sherry - remarkable I would print that in a flash on canvas and frame it.
Cori - Ooh looks like your luck might be in - if Diana visits I may just keep your poppies company! :wink2:

*Deirdre*
09-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Deirdre, what medium is it?
Sorry Olga...I nearly missed it! :wink2:
All done in Soft Pastels...a mix of Schminke, Unison & W&N, and Derwent Pastel pencils...on 18 x 12 Belgian Mist Wallis

ponting
09-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a plan Cori :D

Sherry, thanks so much for the additional info....we are all expanding our horizons here and you may end up with a few converts over in your forum. I have learned more about this process now than ever before so it may be me that you find over there. Please pop back and answer any questions that come your way....you all have a special invitation here. 'Its my thread and I'll do what I want" she says sucking her thumb. :cat:

Your mistake is understandable Krysta. It is very tall and large for a sugar bowl though once one is in the process of actually painting two handles on it, it makes you wonder. :D

Runemaster it is all in the blending and especially those tools God gave me on my right hand. Thanks for wondering :D :wave:

You are more than welcome to do more than peek in the window Christine....anytime!! And can't we always find something critical about our own work? This was a demo that I did in an advanced class and my demos are usually more simplified than my studio work. The students have enough to work with when mastering the art of laying down and blending the medium and their supplies are much more limited than mine so I try to stay within a range that they too can attain.

It's not unsual for me to loan out pastels....especially reds as I use them a lot.....and have them come back in the form of a little nubbin with which I have to finish my piece...if I am lucky...if not I have to get inventive. :D

One of these former students posted her impression of this on WC 6 months or so ago and I do wish she would take up the challange and pop it back in there.....Sweetapplez....where are you????

Thanks again for your coments .....loved having you here. :wave:

Orchidacea
09-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Here's a progress pic of my attempt at this devilish reference:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2005/41088-ss_progress2.jpg
The sugar bowl really is straight in real life--my camera seems to have slumped it to one side...

This is a fun one, Dianna. I was scared of it, but I'm really enjoying it so far (of course, I haven't had to deal with any of the SILVER yet....)

Edit: This is a x-post from the WDE--I just realized I should have posted a link instead of the actual image--sorry!

SweetBabyJ
09-11-2005, 03:49 PM
ohhh- she's a-learnin' now!!

krystakaye
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Dianna, I have made more mistakes in the last two days....calling a woman a man, replying to someone and putting in the WRONG NAME.... AND THESE ARE JUST THE MISTAKES THAT I HAVE BEEN MADE AWARE OF ONLINE...EEK!!! BELIEVE ME, I AM WONDERING ABOUT MYSELF THESE DAYS!!!! Do acrylic paints have FUMES I'm not aware of???? HMMMMMMM.

KIM, THIS IS GOING FABULOUSLY!!!

ponting
09-11-2005, 10:25 PM
OH!!! Rich reds.....great drapery.....looking fantastic. This is so much fun!! Will be here waiting KIm.....may go away for a few days so don't fret if I don't answer right away.....Julie will take over for me, I know it. :D

Cheers, Dianna

SMARA
09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Fort Meyer - me too - what is this WDE thingymabob they're all giggling/laughing/ballyhooing about?
Gonna have to go have a look and see if I can find it.
Aletta

Orchidacea
09-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Here's a link to my latest progress pic. I may be working on this for the rest of my life....

Kim's progress pic (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3868952&posted=1#post3868952)

Orchidacea
09-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Another progress update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3870350#post3870350

(Sorry for making yet another post--I don't know how to add this to a previous post. I guess the ability to edit goes away after a certain period of time?)

Paula Ford
09-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Another progress update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3870350#post3870350

(Sorry for making yet another post--I don't know how to add this to a previous post. I guess the ability to edit goes away after a certain period of time?)

EDIT: Sorry Kim. I thought this was your thread. Please feel free to start your own thread with this lovely painting.
Hi Kim,

This is coming along beautifully. Wow, the shine on the metal is awsome!!

When you add a post to your thread, just upload or go to the manage attachment feature below in the advanced reply. That way, everyone can see your painting without having to click on a link.

Beautiful work!

Paula

Nancy Leone
09-12-2005, 01:21 PM
These all look so great!
This was hard to paint and it's equally hard to post. At my age I'm supposed to be beyond embarassment but......
Anyway, you don't learn if you hide behind the computer screen, right?
So here it is. 9x12 Wallis (would love a serious critique)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2005/44343-toohard.gif
I don't think it's finished but I definitely need a break from it.
Dianna, Thank you for sharing this beautiful still life with us. Mom, will like it for Christmas.
It's not this dark irl.

Orchidacea
09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Nancy, it's beautiful!! I sure wouldn't be embarrassed to post this. I like how you've made the background very dark--I may need to do that to eliminate some of the busy-ness in my version of this reference.

Your mom will DEFINITELY love this!

Orchidacea
09-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Paula...I'm going to start my own thread :)

HRH Goldie
09-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Nancy great work - I like the background that way it gives it a lot of atmosphere! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kim - I may have got it wrong but I think Diana wanted you to post here, saying as she double dared everyone too, and you have. Great progress keep it up. :clap:

ponting
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Nancy.....I don't know what happened to my post but it I see it never made it to the thread.....hmmmmmmm. And it was such a great critique too... :D Perhaps someone else got it. :D You asked for a serious critique and I replied that serious critiques were the only kind I gave. :p

I think that at times I take so long to write and word my posts that WC gives up on me.

Well....anyway big welcome to our double dog dare thread. Lets see if I can recall what I said besides that fact that your mother will be thrilled with this.

Your blue really makes the chrome and if you have a very soft white schmincke or something similar, you could add just a touch to really set off your hightlights.

Reflections are usually either the same value or one or two shades darker than what they are reflecting with chrome being almost equal and water tending to be a couple of shades darker. You may want lighten up the sunlit areas of your fabric so that they at least equal the reflected image in the silver and when you have a few moments (what are those??) just sit and study these effects on different surfaces.

Lightening of these areas would also work at adding another value to the rolls in the cloth on the left creating more of a puffy rolled look to the fabric. You already have a great painting and if you didn't add another thing to it, it wouldn't alter that fact. These lightened and brightened spots of white and red will simply add more pizazz to the final piece.

You are obviously uncomfortatable with posting this here so you deserve an extra special round of applause for pushing yourself to new limits. :clap: :clap: :clap: I can see that dares really do work. :D

And thank you Paula and Christine for stopping in to support her!! :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

*Deirdre*
09-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Nancy...you've done a sterling job on this! :clap: :clap: :clap: No crits from me! :wink2:
Never be afraid to post your work....it's very good! :D

Nancy Leone
09-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Deirdre, Kim & Goldie, Thanks for your support. It's much appreciated.

Dianna,
Well, thanks for taking the time to do 2 crits! I'll get out the Schminke white tomorrow and see what I can do. Now I can go back and study your piece at the beginning of the thread....I avoided looking at it...figured I might quit if I kept comparing mine with yours.
And thanks for the little clappy guys....I was actually hiding behind my hands when I pushed the submit reply button to post my attempt!

Meisie
09-13-2005, 02:02 AM
OOOOH Nancy, I like that very much! :clap: :clap:

Good crit Dianna!

Meisie

ponting
09-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I was actually hiding behind my hands when I pushed the submit reply button to post my attempt! What a great visual I get on this line :p Is that what happened to my other crit....I posted it to a different page? Time for a nap. :D PS...I hope it matched LOL

scall0way
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Deb, you must pick me up along the way...we can take turns at the wheel. On the way to the BEGINNER's class, that is.

Deb and Kim, I'll sign up for the beginner's class with you. I always feel like a kindergartener playing with my crayons after seeing one of Dianna's paintings. :D

Nancy Leone
09-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Meisie, Thanks for your kind words (and clappies).

Dianna, I've added some highlights. Better? Enough? Keep going? Abandon ship? Thanks so much for your help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/44343-silverapple2.gif
Getting braver....only hiding behind one hand.

*Deirdre*
09-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Nancy it's fabulous! Come out of hiding! Take a bow!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/33616-23460-smiley_bow.gif

Paula Ford
09-13-2005, 08:59 PM
I was actually hiding behind my hands when I pushed the submit reply button to post my attempt!

You gotta be kidding! This is gorgeous!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fort Meyer
09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Meisie, Thanks for your kind words (and clappies).

Dianna, I've added some highlights. Better? Enough? Keep going? Abandon ship? Thanks so much for your help!

Getting braver....only hiding behind one hand.You have my permission to remove all hiding devices, including your hands ... this is beautiful. The skin on your apple has wonderful depth, and you have the texture on your red and white stripes! :clap: You have outdone yourself!

scall0way
09-13-2005, 09:41 PM
LOL, after reading through this thread I decided to take the challenge! I was scared off by all the others as they look as good as photos, and photorealism is so *not* me. If I have a style I guess it is "slapdash". :D

So I knew my picture would be nothing like any of the others in this thread. And some of you took such incredible amounts of time with yours too, which again is so not me. If I have to spend as long as two hours with a picture I'm ready to pull my hair out, generally 90 minutes is tops, and that's really pushing my attention level, LOL.

And I could not even spend that long with this one. I spent about 75 minutes on this, but that included being in a chat room with a group of friends, and chatting with them and telling them about the painting as I painted, so actual painting time is probably about 50-60 minutes I guess, which is more like my usual limit. But I did put up my new webcam so they could watch me as they worked too, and some did. And John from the VPON group stopped by and took a peek too.

So here's my version of the picture, the one-hour special attempt. :)

This is on 12x16 Canson M-Tientes paper, gray colored, smooth side.

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Well what were you scared of?? Look at all the colours you found in that chrome! That's some vibrant work there- the turquoises sing against the red. Well done!

ponting
09-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Nancy ...I love your humor.....what do you suppose it is with pastellists?...The dust you think?

You've brighten this up considerably Nancy. I don't know if you need get into the white tinges on the red. You are really succeeding in the realism department when you can pick up that fuzz of my old cotton sheets. How'd you do that? :D If you looked that close at the reference you should also have picked up that the sheets were actually a burgundy. I am sure I missed some areas in the reflection when I shifted the color to bright red. Well my dear....I think you can take a well deserved bow, don't you? Here's to ya.... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/34523-0_Drunk_emoticon.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/34523-0_Drinking_Friends.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/34523-0_Dancing_Emoticon.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/34523-0_drunk.bmp http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/34523-0_cheerleader2.gif From all of us hangin' here!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponting
09-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Lordy, Lordy, Debbie.....I can't believe what you can do with an hour of spare time......while chatting....... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2005/34523-0_jaw_drop.gif And I can't believe you hesitated to put this little jem on here. If this doesn't inspire all the non-pastellists here to convert, I don't know what else would. Bravo lady !!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Y'all come back now :cat:

*aside* I see Julie is still all talk and no action on this one. (snicker, snicker) :wave:

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Hey! I HEARD that!!

I'm working on something here- titled something along the lines "Red-hot and Salsa"

*mutter*mutter*mutter*SimoneLegree*mutter*mutter*

Susan Borgas
09-14-2005, 01:27 AM
Gosh I haven't had a chance to spend much in the way of time here for the last few days to come back and find everyone having a ball :wave: :D . Wish I had the time to join in but it will have to wait for another time. Makes good reading though ;)

Sue

Orchidacea
09-14-2005, 08:03 AM
An hour? While distracted? On Canson? I'm truly amazed. And I love the colors you used. Great job!

Nancy Leone
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Judith, Paula & Deirdre,
Thank you all so much!

SBJ,
I'm just happy this is a really long thread so my attempt can't be easily compared with Dianna's fine work. Your helping to dispel my fear though (how do you spell dispell :confused: ?). Compliments from another still life pro are much appreciated.

Debbie
Amazing! Chatting, 50 minutes, unbelievable!

Oh, Dianna.....I can't believe I went to bed last night and missed the party. All those little guys were having such fun without me.
I'll ditch the white on the red. Glad you magically changed the sheet from burgundy to red.....I don't have a burgundy pastel.
Once more, can't thank you enough for all your help.

Orchidacea
09-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Here's a link to mine...it's FINALLY finished! I got all confused about where to post, :o .

This has been the best double-dog-dare I've been a part of!

Kim's thread: Sugar & Stripes (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3876694#post3876694)

scall0way
09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Kim,
I think your picture is *wonderful*. I think the pot and the apple are just great. I do think darkening the background just a tad might make them pop out a bit, but I just love this picture.

Nancy, yours is really wonderful too, and the dark background is very atmospheric.

I've loved this thread so much. It's amazing how so many of us have felt self-conscious about posting our results, and yet I like them all! Bravo everyone. :)

scall0way
09-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm just happy this is a really long thread so my attempt can't be easily compared with Dianna's fine work.

However, on that note, I think it would be a wonderful idea to take *all* the paintings done from this wonderful photo, and put them up somewhere all together where we can see them all side-by-side, and everyone's interpretation. Wouldn't that be cool?

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Here's a link to mine...it's FINALLY finished! I got all confused about where to post, :o .

This has been the best double-dog-dare I've been a part of!

Kim's thread: Sugar & Stripes (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3876694#post3876694)

Welp, now we know how to motivate her....

*Deirdre*
09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
SBJ,
I'm just happy this is a really long thread so my attempt can't be easily compared with Dianna's fine work. .
But Dianna used a different ref! Look at the folds in the cloth....see? :wink2:

Fort Meyer
09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
But Dianna used a different ref! Look at the folds in the cloth....see? :wink2:You don't suppose Dianna would cut corners do you?? :wink2:

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I'll betcha she'd just renewed her artistic license and couldn't wait to try it out....

Fort Meyer
09-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I'll betcha she'd just renewed her artistic license and couldn't wait to try it out....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/25467-SmileyROTFLMAO.gif Darned if she probably didn't do that very thing!! :D

ponting
09-14-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/34523-0_nah_nah.gif Nah Nah!!
Whose talking about moi behind my back?? Are the rowdies at it again...besmirching my good reputation. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/34523-0_naughty.gif

Caught me have you??? Same photo ref...just simplified it for my class who unlike you foolish artists went for the easy version. :D Na na na na naaaaa na!!

Cheers, Dianna http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/34523-0_kiss.gif

Orchidacea
09-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Besmirching? And I missed it? I keep saying--I'm going to have to quit my job to keep up with you people.

"Foolish," she says...hmmmm...

Double dog dares don't always work on me, Julie--sometimes it takes money....but it has become glaringly obvious that they don't work on YOU...

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2005, 04:29 PM
then try money.... :D

PS: I'm sure she meant be-smooching. But she oughta know we'd never kiss and tell....

Fort Meyer
09-14-2005, 04:40 PM
then try money.... :D*Whispering* .... If that works, let me know will ya?!!!

ponting
09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Oh God, its happening again.... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2005/34523-0_shakehead.gif ...it's gotta be the dust in here!!

HRH Goldie
09-14-2005, 06:47 PM
I've had a good laugh reading through all of the posts. Debbie good on yer for posting and it is marvellous - although I think your watch must have stopped right on 50 mins lol! Can't believe that this was done sooooooo fast! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Diana asked me to post my version that I did in cp's = I have tried 3 times today and cannot get the image uploader nor the manage attachment thingy to work. I don't know if there are gremlins again or whether it is something from my end.

Diana - So sorry about taking so long I was going to post to spur all those like myself on, who cannot achieve high realism and hopefully it would encourage more folk to give it a go for the fun of it. Heck I must be the least confident person on WC! I shall try again tomorrow.
I am still lurking in the wings and thoroughly enjoying the banter. :wave:

ponting
09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
We're a patient bunch here :cat: Cept'n they get a little punchy when they get restless. ;)

Cheers, Dianna

Orchidacea
09-14-2005, 08:59 PM
PS: I'm sure she meant be-smooching. But she oughta know we'd never kiss and tell....
You know, you're probably right...she did include that racy little lips symbol, didn't she?

The only money you're gonna get is my two cents' worth, I'm afraid...so where is that mysterious painting you alluded to, anyway?

HRH Goldie
09-15-2005, 05:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/39369-apple,_flag_and_lidded_bowl_cp.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/39369-attempt_at_correction1.JPG

Okay Diana you can stop the foot tapping lol. Here it is and just to show all the other shy people it doesn't matter if it is different from the others lol. :o I hope it spurs other folk on to give it a bash.

I don't mind saying it was the hardest thing I have ever done I think. I gave myself a real handicap to start off with as I had a low res ref to work off. I wish I had gotten the high res as it clarified a whole lot when I saw it.
The first one is as is and the second is after advice from Diana and others. Diana I still say that the left side of the pot is way to big but the paper is overloaded and I don't know how I would cover up with background colour effectively. I think I shall chalk this one up to experience (Hey there is a pun in there for you pastelists somewhere. :evil: )
Glad the uploader finally worked too - I was beginning to think it was me. :wink2:

Orchidacea
09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Christine, I don't know what you've been carrying on about--this is lovely!

Interesting that you had to re-do the shape of your post, as I did too. I thought it was harder than heck to get that pot balanced--equally fat on both sides, lol--and next time I try something this complex I will do as suggested and grid it first (which means I'll have to figure out how--seems to me there must be some arithmetic involved :( ).

But really, this is lovely and warm, with such a nice light touch, and your pot really looks like it's silver. What's not to love? I'm glad you posted this over here.

HRH Goldie
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Kim lol thank you - yours is way better than anything I could produce but thought a rank novice's piece would spur folk on. :wink2:
Grids? I have read books that show how to grid out and also a photo manip programme that does it. I can see how it is of benefit but it seems soooo labourious to the max and I would be worried that I felt constrained. Plus I am totally rubbish at maths so that is more than enough reasons for me not to try it lol. Maybe I should though - I shall certainly bear it in mind especially for still life's. :wink2: :wave:

ponting
09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Hellllloooo Christine.....there you are....How really nice to have a CP verison here.. :clap: :clap: :clap: ...I have never worked in the medium but it has to be waaaay more work than pastel and I would think...not nearly so forgivable in the process. I especially like the crop where you've chosen to eliminate a lot of extraneous background and just go for the important things. Your sugar bowl is now so much front and center in importance that admirers will be drawn to wonder if you have something hidden in the refelctions.....like the artist!! :D I think it would be a great addition if we didn't have to make ourselves look like something from out of the house of mirrors and out of all of these, yours is the one I would choose to do it in just because of your unique take on this. And Yes, I can see you have struggled a little with balancing the pot but I will PM you with some really neat tricks on conquering that :D

As for grids.....If both you and Kim have gotten this far without them I don't know why you would want to start now. The major problem that we have with an object like the sugar bowl is that the apple in the forground throws us out. Drawing the complete pot is the secret. Draw it on a separate piece of vellum if you wish and once done, fold the paper vertically and see how both halves match. From there you can trace the corrections back and forth several times until you have the right of it before adding the apple and surroundings to the sketch. You can even sketch the apple and other elements separate, pop them on a light table or window and move them about arranging your own composition.

Enough said.....I want to thank you so much for taking the dare and rounding out our education on what can be achieved in other mediums. Way to go girl :clap: :clap: I will PM you soon.......Cheers, Dianna

Orchidacea
09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
As for grids.....If both you and Kim have gotten this far without them I don't know why you would want to start now. The major problem that we have with an object like the sugar bowl is that the apple in the forground throws us out. Drawing the complete pot is the secret. Draw it on a separate piece of vellum if you wish and once done, fold the paper vertically and see how both halves match. From there you can trace the corrections back and forth several times until you have the right of it before adding the apple and surroundings to the sketch. You can even sketch the apple and other elements separate, pop them on a light table or window and move them about arranging your own composition.

Well, I'll be dipped. I never thought of doing such things! It's that danged artistic license of yours that lets you think that way, isn't it? Gonna have to get me one of those. Right now I'm on a learner's permit, lol.

Thanks again, Dianna. Don't want to swell your head too much...... but you ROCK!

Fort Meyer
09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Kim lol thank you - yours is way better than anything I could produce but thought a rank novice's piece would spur folk on. :wink2:
Grids? I have read books that show how to grid out and also a photo manip programme that does it. I can see how it is of benefit but it seems soooo labourious to the max and I would be worried that I felt constrained. Plus I am totally rubbish at maths so that is more than enough reasons for me not to try it lol. Maybe I should though - I shall certainly bear it in mind especially for still life's. :wink2: :wave:May I ask how long your corrections took? Just a note to suggest a different way to look at it ... while the grid might be a little more labor intensive than a free hand drawing, you will largely eliminate the corrections part of your painting. Bet in the long run you will save some time. Discipline is sooooo boring though! :D

I really like your results ... looks like you learned a lot here!! And, by the way, I do not grid either. A mirror usually helps me see the "whole" so I can sketch what is missing, or working on the subject upside down once in a while. Congratulations on your CP, which I cannot do at all!!! :clap:

SweetBabyJ
09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
LOL @ "learner's permit". Hang onto that one, Kim- it's what keeps your work interesting in the long haul.

Nice work all the way around here, Ladies, (and just ladies, I notice, hmmmmm....) you each finished a good painting.

scall0way
09-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I thought it was harder than heck to get that pot balanced--equally fat on both sides, lol--and next time I try something this complex I will do as suggested and grid it first.

Grid it???? :eek: Gak. If I had to do that the picture would no longer be worth it to me, LOL. Anything that I need to spend more than 5-10 minutes freehand sketching is probably way more complicated than I want to deal with! Of course that does leave me open to lopsided pots, etc. :) But the couple pictures I have tried gridding on have come out looking rather stilted and lifeless IMHO, so I don't think it's for me.

But I loved your picture Kim, and Christine I really like yours too. Amazing what can be done with CPs. I'm very impressed.

scall0way
09-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, I've been following this thread here, as well as trying to track the copies of this photo posted over in the WDE threads. In addition to Dianna's original painting I found 8 others of us who took up the challenge!

I really wanted to see them all side-by-side, so I imported them all into a Word document where I placed the reference photo at the top. I followed this with Dianna's painting, then all the rest of ours in alphabetical order by WC screen name. I also included the medium used.

I was going to upload it but it is pretty big (836 KB), so if anyone would like to see it please let me know and I'll email you a copy. Not that you all could not create your own. :) But I printed mine out and it is fun to see them all together. If you get ask for a copy please let me know if there are any additions or corrections.

ponting
09-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Debbie.....what a great idea. :clap: It would be good to do that here if you want since you have been so good as to organize the whole shebang. I am frantically dashing about getting my motorhome ready and loaded for my trip to Montana (I'm covered in oil right as we speak) and running back here to see that I am not neglecting anyone kind enough to post so if you wish to my dear........feel free as I am sure we would all love to see them. Only one request. Could you wait a couple of days as I know Kim has an update to hers and possibly Christine might....I am sure she'll let you know if she doesn't then you could proceed. I'm terribly sorry but I won't have time to bring mine up to snuff before hand .....c'est la vie. :D

Cheers, Dianna

scall0way
09-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Could you wait a couple of days as I know Kim has an update to hers and possibly Christine might....I'm terribly sorry but I won't have time to bring mine up to snuff before hand.

Get mine up to snuff ????????????????? Gee, just listen to her. Is *anyone* ever truly satisfied with what they do? Anyway, I will happily wait a few more days and see if any additions or corrections show up.

Fort Meyer
09-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Get mine up to snuff ????????????????? Gee, just listen to her. Is *anyone* ever truly satisfied with what they do? Anyway, I will happily wait a few more days and see if any additions or corrections show up.Ya ... I liked that line myself! What's up with that? :p :D

ponting
09-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Well you see mine is still sitting there unframed while I tricked you guys into thinking up all these great alternatives for it's perfection. I shall now incorporate all of these wonderful ideas into the (said in a very deep reverberating voice) ((((("ULTIMATE PAINTING"))))) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/34523-0_Dancing_Emoticon.gif

Orchidacea
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm not convinced that Dianna should always be allowed to run around loose....

Debbie, that's really cool that you did that! I do have an update, but I still want to tweak it just a leetle bit more...I should be able to post by late Friday (I have to work late tonight--no painting time :( ).

Burbling happily...

ponting
09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm not convinced that Dianna should always be allowed to run around loose....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/34523-0_laught16.gif

Orchidacea
09-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Okay, Debbie, I finished sooner than expected. I posted it in my thread.
Kim's thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3881966#post3881966)

ponting
09-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Awesome piece of work kiddo!! Megga congrats on this one. I bow to a master. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2005/34523-0_bow_down.gif

Cheers, and thanks ever so much, Dianna

Orchidacea
09-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Sheesh, she's been on the floor twice tonight in this thread....

Dianna, you embarrass me :p . I just have to say a huge thank you to you and Julie, who have taught me A LOT in a short period of time. I've rarely encountered such generosity.

This WC is just an ultimately cool kinda place!

scall0way
09-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Kim, I picked up your new copy. I have to confess I can't see one whit's worth of difference between it and your previous one though. They both look lovely to me! Amazing. I think a couple other folks are still hoping to complete this reference photo too, including one in *watercolor* which I am really looking forward to seeing.

PeggyB
09-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Ahhh Dianna - another beautiful still life. I like the idea of a challenge for several people working from the same reference. I'm still life challenged - you said you are plein aire challenged - maybe we can "cross challenge" one another. :cat:

The most photographic painting I've every done is the one below. (You said you wanted to see the work of others.)

PeggyB

PeggyB
09-17-2005, 11:33 PM
PS You realize of course it is all your fault that I found this site. :D

PeggyB

ponting
09-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Hello everyone. Sorry to have left you hanging. Montana was as beautiful as I remember it from my childhood. We had a wonderful safe trip...the class held only four of us so we had great fun and we got to touch bases with some other WCers!!

Debbie, believe me, Kim's hard work paid off with the subtle difference in her pot. :D It's a matter of going that extra mile so that painting on her Mom's wall doesn't forever haunt her with...."if only I had...." She has nailed it now. No ghosts there :D

Peggy.....how nice to see you here.......thanks for the PM and the post both blaming me for your getting hooked here. I can see that I am truly guilty as charged by the number of posts you've got in here already. LOL......

Didn't see the painting you wanted me too but will be watching for threads by yourself. In fact I will check righ now. :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

arsinoé
11-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I couldn't resist in the end and tried it.
Thanks so much for the reference, Dianna!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2005/8322-pommeetsucrier2.jpg

*Deirdre*
11-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Beautifully done Arsinoé! Pastel?

Orchidacea
11-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Wow! Gorgeous!! Super job, Arsinoe!!

Hi Deirdre--haven't seen you in ages! How are you?

arsinoé
11-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks Deirdre and Kim!
Yes, pastel.

*Deirdre*
11-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Fine thanks Kim! And you? Not seen you at the WDEs recently either! :wink2:

Fine pastel Arsinoé! :clap:

ponting
11-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Tres, tres bien Arsinoé et merci beaucoup!!

Thank you so much for taking up the challenge and for doing it such justice!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D I just so thrilled when I see all of these wonderful paintings from one little old photo that was just whipped off at the last minute for lack of anything to challenge my class with.

Hi everyone......sorry I have been scare lately. The rush is almost over. My show was hung yesterday except for the 4 paintings I have yet to paint. It will open on Saturday so I still have the rest of today, tomorrow and Sat morning to finish them. They are somall but fun Working of two mushroom pics today. I am thinking of you all.......be back soon, Dianna :wave:

Meisie
11-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Great job Arsinoé!

Final stretch Dianna! It'll be gorgeous...we know :D

Meisie

Amazingreys
11-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Wow......this is beautiful! I can barely manage "fur" much less anything so vibrant, beautiful and realistic as this. Again, WOW!

HarvestMoon
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM
wow- the reflections and the metallic look of the pot are completely amazing!!

Nicoclaus
11-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Wonderful job Arsinoé:)

Good luck with your show Dianna! :):)

Fort Meyer
11-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Wonderful job Arsinoé:)

Good luck with your show Dianna! :):)

What he said!!! :clap:

arsinoé
11-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Thank you Dianna, Meisie, Amazingreys, Purples, Nicoclaus and Fort Meyer!
Lots of luck for your show, Dianna!

boarsrock
11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I'll add "it's stunning too"...

I'm primarily a watercolorist (landscapes). I just picked up a set uf Prisma color Nupastel and Mungyo. I'll have to add still life to the mix once I get my feet wet.

What brands did you use and paper? I didn't see that referenced. Will the brands I picked out work or cause me any problems?

Again, great job.

arsinoé
11-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Thank you boarsrock!

I cannot tell about the brands you use as they are not available in France.
I use Sennelier La carte paper and various pastels: Jaxell, Conté crayons and Sennelier.

Hope this helps!

Ginger Lee
12-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Wow! I did try this one before I saw your version. I'm sure I wouldn't have had the courage to even try if I had of seen yours first. How crisp and clean it is!

Ginger Lee
12-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Here is my attempt at this beautiful photo. I'm looing forward to trying a couple others from Dianna's reference photo submissions. She said to go ahead and post this even though it's acrylic rather than pastels.
8 1/2 x 11 1/2

Paula Ford
12-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Really really beautiful Ginger

Paula

ponting
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Ginger :wave: .....good to see you here taking up the challenge with yet another wonderful rendition of this painting. It's so inspiriing for us pastellists to see where we could take this in a different medium than we are used to. I followed the whole thread where you posted it in the acrylic forum and it was interesting to see the problems you encounter using a brush rather than your fingers....well perhaps you use them too!!

Thanks once again for taking the dare :D ........Cheers, Dianna :clap:

eyeinthesky
12-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi, I finally plucked up the courage to try this, I know it's not great but I am pleased with it, and I enjoyed painting it. FC pastels and pencils on 12x9 colourfix. Thanks for looking,
Davehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/66997-051228082402.JPG

ponting
12-28-2005, 06:18 PM
What do you mean 'It's not great"? It's wonderful!! Especially your slilver....well maybe it's your sunlit stripes....no maybe........... Great work Dave and thanks to much for sharing it with us :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

Orchidacea
12-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Dave, it's awesome! So shiny!

Fort Meyer
12-29-2005, 01:44 AM
Dave ... WOW!!

Ginger Lee
12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Dave, after making an attempt to do a pastel painting I think yours is spectacular. I don't know how you all do what you do with pastels. When I got done with a really simple picture what I ended up with was a smear on paper and pastels all over me. I think I'll stick to acrylic for a while.

eyeinthesky
12-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Dianna, thank you, praise from you is especially sweet, I love the dramatic lighting in your work (I also tried ornamental cherries), but I always have trouble with the deep shadow areas to show the colour but still be very dark, how do you do it? Do you start with the colour then apply grays etc.?
Kim and Judith, thank you, you are too kind.
Ginger, I am pretty new to all things art, but I dabbled in watercolour then acrylics for a while and I know I couldn't achieve what you have with either of those mediums. For me, pastels are so forgiving, no mixing a colour then finding I haven't mixed enough, no premature drying, ok, they are expensive, but I have decided to love myself enough to spend the money on ME! Don't give up on pastels, after all, you already bought them didn't you? You may as well try to get your money's worth. Happy painting!
Dave

ponting
12-30-2005, 02:49 AM
Thank you Dave for the kind words but your still far too humble. :D I have many darks in and try to use them rather than add greys. Exactly what areas do you refer to? If you go on that thread and point them out, perhaps I can tell you exactly what I used there.

Take care and keep dirty. PS.....I sent you a PM a couple of days ago.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

eyeinthesky
12-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Dianna this painting is a good example, I used a darker red in the background and a medium grey for the white but had to go over all of it with a dark blue then a darker grey, but I think it could have been much better. Sorry I didn't notice your PM before, I will try to get some info and reply asap.
Dave

RUNEMASTER
12-30-2005, 05:01 AM
Great!may I ask how you get the lines so clean?:envy: :eek: :D :)

ponting
12-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh that's easy to explain Dave...black, black, black....I use a lot of black. Sometimes as and undercoat and sometimes skimming a light layer over top and then blending the two colours together although there is no substitute for having the right colour. I tend not to use greys or any colour containing whites as it begins to look chalky The same as blending black into every colour to darken it tends to make your painting oppresive. In this painting the white stripes in the background are done in dark mochas. I will post the original painting so that we can look at it here....then some close-ups of some of the colours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple-.jpg

As you can see below here, I've used a Terry Ludwig eggplant colour in the shadows of the folds then worked black into the deepest recesses to complete the transition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple-fold.jpg

This is a portion that I acutally cut off from the bottom right corner but it shows the mocha colour that I used in the background stripes. It's really more of a lavender shade than it shows here. Rembrandt has some great Mochas as does Holbein.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple-mocha.jpg

The painting is not quite as dark in RL as it is here but is not much lighter. However, I still work the stripes in although they're almost invisible. Here I've lightened a the circled area in PS so that you can see that the stripes really are there....just done in very deep shades. Terry's eggplant colur from his set of Intense Darks would be great here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple-lighten.jpg

And Rudy nice to see you again!! ... I tend to go over the edge of abutting colours with one decisive blend of the finger...following the contour and applying good pressure and then leave it be. If you look closely here, it's not all that sharp. The grit of my La Carte paper shows quite clearly if you get very close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple-close.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/34523-Red-White-and-Apple-v-close.jpg

If you have any more question, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks so much for your interest.

Cheers, Dianna

Meisie
12-30-2005, 01:48 PM
This is fascinating! Thanks for all the info Dianna. You are a marvellous teacher!

Meisie

grantkruger
12-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Damn, I wish you taught here in Mississippi (or anyone did for that matter)! That is an unbelievable level of detail. I'm still new to pastels and all my work is rough and chunky and can best be summed up by one word, "smudge!" This piece shows unbelievable skill, even by the standards of some of the amazing stuff I've seen in this forum. I cannot imagine how you did it and I'm really regretting those many years I spent as a lapsed artist. Amazing stuff!

Fort Meyer
12-30-2005, 03:40 PM
I tend not to use greys or any colour containing whites as it begins to look chalky Dianna, I just couldn't resist ... so, what did you expect!!!

RUNEMASTER
12-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Wow! La carte.Thats what im trying out now. great work.The shimmers are awesome.

eyeinthesky
01-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Dianna, thank you very much, I hadn't thought to try a black underpainting for darkened areas, and I guess I thought putting black on top of the colours would spoil the painting. I will try these out next chance I get, thanks again,
Dave

ponting
01-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Thank you Meisie....you are always so gracious in your praise. :o

Grant....I would love to come to Mississippi to teach ...you just name the day! :D Thanks so much for your comments...there is indeed some wonderful work in this forum and it's just chalk full of interesting people and instuction.

Speaking of 'chalk'...you just couldn't resist eh Judy??? Now why doesn't that surprise me in the least. :D I depend on your humor lady and it's good to see your not letting me down. :wave:

Rudy.......go glad to see another convert :clap: ....just be sure not to spit on that paper as La Carte is NOT in the least waterproof. :eek:

Dave, do be sure to keep any base coat of black very thin. With La Carte, I work it in and then brush as much off again as I can before applying anything over it. Thanks so much for getting back to me via PM :cat:

Cheers on the first day of a new year!!

Dianna

dlake
01-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Take my breath away. It's unbelievable. What did you use. the colors are so crisp and lifelike. Sorry, I'm new but, oh my. I was looking at pictures and this just made me inhale quick. Wow.

Fort Meyer
01-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Grant....I would love to come to Mississippi to teach ...you just name the day! Thanks so much for your comments...there is indeed some wonderful work in this forum and it's just chalk full of interesting people and instuction.

Speaking of 'chalk'...you just couldn't resist eh Judy??? Now why doesn't that surprise me in the least. I depend on your humor lady and it's good to see your not letting me down. Oh Groan! ~~~~ I do try to do my best ... yeah I know, very trying!

grantkruger
01-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Grant....I would love to come to Mississippi to teach ...you just name the day!

Ah, Dianna, so it's that easy? How about tomorrow? :wink2: Or we could wait until next weekend, by which time both my new set of 60 pastel pencils and my 225 Rembrandt pastel set will have arrived. Hooray for Christmas sales (and free delivery)! Yesterday I finished the pencil outline for my latest piece, and I'm going to experiment with pastel pencil outlines over a light box, switching to soft pastels for the broader colours. And I'll be using coloured paper for the first time (local art shop only had white charcoal paper, but I discovered Cheap Joe's, Dick Blick and Dakota). I have no doubt I'll make a mess... but I'll have fun too, that's for sure.

ponting
01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Hello Diane and welcome to here and to WC :wave: Here is a link to one of my threads in the Pastel Library. I believe this is the one where I show all of the tools that I use to create. As for pastels.....I use quite a variety to brands but prefer Terry Ludwig darks, Unison, Holbein, and Nu Pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241175

Just got to get the last word in don't you Judy......? :D

Grant, you lucky devil.....who has money left after Christmas? Will be waiting to see what you post. :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

arsinoé
01-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks, Ginger!
Your artwork is beautiful! I love the apple warm colors.
Thank you Dianna for the thread reference. You are so generous with us.
Happy New Year, everyone!